Author Topic: Mint '82 SR5 - what to upgrade with originality in mind..  (Read 6364 times)

integrale

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
Mint '82 SR5 - what to upgrade with originality in mind..
« on: Mar 08, 2010, 03:56:36 PM »
Hi All, I'm a new member been lurking for a while, and have a really nice SWB SR5 I wanted to share with you. Hope the links to pics work below. The truck is in phenomenal shape - has A/C, sunroof, power steering etc the only niggles are a carb issue (crazy high idle - intermittent - i think a vacuum issue) and a slight floor rust issue where the front mud flaps were, but everything else is solid. 118K miles, and original owner until 2008. My plan is to keep this truck as stock as possible - and its going to only do minor off roading only. I think the truck is too nice to heavily mod.

Here is the question - Being on the site - the upgrade bug is really starting to bite  :)

Given the truck is in such awesome shape - and I really want to keep it original looking, what kind of upgrades should I be considering? My thoughts were to start with the carb, as it needs work anyway - would I be crazy to switch over to an EFI setup??.. would this kill its originality?

How about a suspension upgrade? - I'm not really wanting to do a lift, but would really like to refesh the setup. Most upgrades seems to involve lift as well.. I have many more q's but those can wait.. Thanks for looking at the post!
Rich

ajordan1975

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 1,004
  • Member since Jun '07
  • i think i'm cool
    • View Profile
WOW!!!  :yikes: what an amazing looking truck! i wouldn't touch it. put it in the garage and leave it there..... :twocents:
1990 4Runner, SAS, 22re, 5spd, Dual stock cases, Locked f/b, interior cage

83yota5960

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -20
  • Male Posts: 551
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
damn thats crazy clean. i would fix the carb and leave it in the garage. to clean to touch looks like it just came out of the factory
83 short bed yota 35's 5.29's 4.7 f-150's arb front aussie locker rear high steer ifs rear axle
83 short bed yota 31 a/t mild lift welded ifs rear axle
99 audi A4 as my new daily driver.

integrale [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
Yeah - I figured originality is important. I should fess up - it had been repainted before i got it - and I wonder if the bed liner is covering anything up.... however its still in really good shape... I want to keep it as good as possible - but am open to improvements as well...

toyyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
Please keep you truck as original as you can, This is what made Toyota what it is. If you need small parts, a lot are still available from the local dealer. Yes, I know, the dealer is more money than the local salvage yard, but the parts you buy should last another 20 years or so. I just completed a complete frame off restoration on an 83 4x4 short bed. (If you ever want to sell...let me know!).

85_4RNR

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Male Posts: 265
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
 :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

They dont make them like they used to.  :down:
I work a 2000 BMW 540i 6 speed

pumkin toy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Do You Know A Sweeney Bro?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
gorgeous truck!  I would start by fixing the carb.  It would be cool to leave it carbed and not swap to fuel injection.  Once the carbs are tuned right they run really well. Some mods you could do that really wouldnt affect too much of its originality would be things like maybe a header and some new exhaust if it needs it. If you wanted to you could get another set of wheels/tires. Maybe some black "soft eight" steel wheels with some 31" or 32" mud terrains would look real nice on it.  then you could use those for the mild wheeling you would like to do.  You also mentioned wanting to upgrade the suspension without lifting it.  You could always get a complete bushing replacement kit and that would help freshen up the ride quite bit.
97 4runner Limited
4runner Build Thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54076.1410#lastPost

Started my own fab business recently check out the website  www.c4fabrication.com

also follow C4Fab on facebook for regular updates on projects. http://www.facebook.com/pages/C4-Fabrication/454285357953823

Quick Draw

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 250
  • Member since Feb '10
  • Her name is Doris.
    • View Profile
Beautiful truck...  I've never seen such an immaculate 1st gen interior.  For example, I have never ever seen an uncracked dash top like that one.  I would bet you could sell just that for like $200, since there are only like 5 others in existence.  I wasn't alive when they were new, so I can only sort of piece together what they may have looked like on the dealer lot based on somewhat clean and about 50% original interiors on other crawlers.    My truck has no interior pieces at all...  That's so cool!
'80 Pickup, 5VZ-FE engine, A340F transmission, Marlin gear drive adapter, Dual Ultimate transfer cases, 5.29 gears, Detroit rear/Lockrite front locker, 37" Goodyear MTRs, XRC8 winch, custom tube bed and armor

birfection

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 203
  • Member since Oct '09
  • Drummond Island
    • View Profile
Beautiful truck...  I've never seen such an immaculate 1st gen interior.  For example, I have never ever seen an uncracked dash top like that one.  I would bet you could sell just that for like $200, since there are only like 5 others in existence.  I wasn't alive when they were new, so I can only sort of piece together what they may have looked like on the dealer lot based on somewhat clean and about 50% original interiors on other crawlers.    My truck has no interior pieces at all...  That's so cool!
I must have one of those 5 uncracked dashes-WooHOO!! But the rest of my 1980 is not NEARLY this clean. I'm not sure if I could have fun wheelin a truck this clean.
TITAN CRUSHER      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6qnDVgWBSA

1980 Pickup: 22RE (bored 20 over, OS Valves, 261 cam, ported and polished intake/exhaust, Pacesetter long-tube header), L52 5 Speed, 6 leaf RUF, 63" Chevies, Hi-steer, 35 x 12.5 Maxxis Creepy Crawlers, Dual 2.28 cases, Detroit Front, Welded Rear, 5.29s

CrazyYota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 92
  • Male Posts: 1,073
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
 :shocking: Beautiful truck!!!  :drooling: I vote fix the carb and leave it alone!
>Chuck Norris invented black. In fact, he invented the entire spectrum of visible light. Except pink. Tom Cruise invented pink.

integrale [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
This is great feedback. Thanks for all the props. Aisin carb repair it is then :) I'll also tackle a front axle rebuild i think, I've got oil slowly leaking out of the birfields. Dont suppose there is any way to still get new Aisin carbs? - I've seen rebuilt ones here and there but dont really know a reliable place to pick one up  - can anyone recommend a point of contact?

birfection

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 203
  • Member since Oct '09
  • Drummond Island
    • View Profile
Get a Weber Carb. It'll give you more power and better fuel economy. They're also very easy to tune. Pretty sure you can get a new one for between $400-$600
TITAN CRUSHER      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6qnDVgWBSA

1980 Pickup: 22RE (bored 20 over, OS Valves, 261 cam, ported and polished intake/exhaust, Pacesetter long-tube header), L52 5 Speed, 6 leaf RUF, 63" Chevies, Hi-steer, 35 x 12.5 Maxxis Creepy Crawlers, Dual 2.28 cases, Detroit Front, Welded Rear, 5.29s

Nihal

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 134
  • Member since Mar '09
  • 89 Hilux 2.8-3L Diesel 4door,,,SOLID AXEL
    • View Profile
Hi  :welcome: to  :turtle:

Thats a well maintained truck you have and they are good trucks, like others have said try hard to keep it that way :thumbs:

You must be proud, because they are few and far apart ;)

Nihal  :turtle3:
It's Not a Trick,,, It's a TOYOTA

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Wow what a find! I think this truck would be a great candidate for Old Man Emu suspension.  It is only about a 1.5"-2" lift and will give you a true "upgraded" suspension with better on road ride and offroad performance without losing that stock look or having to cut anything up.  Other than that fix the carb and do a good quality Toyota tune up with Toyota parts.  Nothing wrong with the weber carb idea either...
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

K.Lund

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -10
  • Male Posts: 35
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
Nice truck, it brings back memories of when I bought my truck new in 83. 
1983 underconstruction

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
That thing is WAY too nice to modify  :yikes:  I'd fix the carb (webers are expensive turds, don't waste your time or money) and rust issues, throw in some nice comfy seats and enjoy it like it is!  Find another ugly first gen to modify if you want to  ;)
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

toyyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
Carb parts available from Toyota, keep it OEM.

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
Lock it.  Gear it.  Put some armor (black, tastefully done as possible) underneath.  Maybe some small sliders/nerf bars. 

Absolutely nothing else. 

2manytoys

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 490
  • Male Posts: 583
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
I agree with Plekto. Lockers and gears don't change the look at all but really improve the off road capabilities.

The body armor/skids will protect it if you do take it off road and are removable. Just keep whatever original parts you do remove, box em up and store em.

I'd keep the original carb too. Keep looking for a carb expert and get it repaired and or tuned right.

The OME suspension is a great idea too.

Gorgeous Truck!!! Keep us up to date on what you decide to do with it.
88 Pickup SAS'd, 3.4 V6, R151F Hybrid, Dual Ultimate, Triple sticks, 35's, 5.29's, HP front, V6 rear, Aussies, 63" Chevs, Anti Wrap Bar, Warn 8274 on Home Built Bumper

4WU linked 86 Xtra Cab build in progress

luvdirt

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 16
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
Great looking Toy!!! You don't see them as straight as that anymore.
I would keep it stock. Looks cool just the way it is. If you plan on keeping it all original then look at rebuilding the carb. I would also get
 that rust on the floor taken care of asap. Rust is like cancer and it will get worse unless you remove all of it.  If there is rust on the floor, there will likely be rust starting in places you can't see, like inside the
doors.
I would pull the door panels off and look to see if any rust has started on the door seams at the bottom.

luvdirt

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 16
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
I almost forgot....get a rear bumper before someone rear ends you and wrecks that hard to find tailgate and box.  :thumbs:

Rokntoy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 43
  • Member since Jan '06
    • View Profile
Dont touch it put it in the garage leave it alone and buy one to beat on. A truck that old and that clean is rare.
flopp IT!!! WE'LL DO IT LIVE!!!!

howyadoin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
Dont touch it put it in the garage leave it alone and buy one to beat on. A truck that old and that clean is rare.

This.
"Flexes like a boneless hooker on muscle relaxers"

possume22

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
wow what a truck dont touch it!!!!!!!! put that truck up fix factory carb dont wheel in that thing and ruin it do yourself a favor and buy you a beater upper to play in

DD85runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 329
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile

x2
85 4runner: 5.29s, duals with 4.7, ARB fr, detroit r, hi steer, bobbed 12"
89 4runner sr5: sold
98 prelude: DD

64-Hurricane

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 33
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
Don't wheel it,  but definitely drive and enjoy it.  I've got an all original absolutely cherry 64 cj5 that belonged to my grandfather.  Was passed to my dad and was mothballed until it was passed to me.  I said to heck with that and brought it back to DD status.  That little jeep loves to be driven, let it sit more than four or five months and it just gets crabby.

I'd say do the carb work and body work now. Especially the rust work, before it's too late/gets worse.  If you wan't to mod it and make it more aggressive go for it. It's your truck, you've only got one chance to own it. IMO, use it or waste it.  If you like to look at shiny trucks sitting in your garage thats cool, my vote is enjoy that beaty.

Mnmstoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 230
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Mike's 80Toy
    • View Profile
The only thing I see that needs replacing is the Brake Pedal Rubber cover. Maybe, "armor all" the shifter boots.
Nice ride.
Mike

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,175
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 1,271
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
I'm glad you FINALLY started a thread on this thing. Everyone has good points but the biggest one of all, get those parts in that you bought from me(rust free body mount pillars). That cancer has GOT to GO. You've got the transplantable parts now get to it!!!!! Can ya post those pics that you sent to me a while back on this thread Or even better quality ones. So that we can see those rusting body mounts. Man she's PURDY!!   :therethere:
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org