Author Topic: Short car complex  (Read 5062 times)

spongebob

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Female Posts: 63
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
Short car complex
« on: Mar 05, 2010, 03:05:27 PM »
Why is it these little teenie 4 cylnder cars feel a need to drive like idiots. If you wanna pass me fine. At 10mpg I am not going to race from signal to signal. Just don't tailgate :moon:
If I have to hit my brakes, the worst you will do is go under me. I might not even feel a thing. Besides, I get my yellow rattlecans at Walmart and it will only cost me less than $1 to repair.

And one more thing... a Honda Fit??? is not a race car  :joke:

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
Re: Short car complex
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2010, 03:17:09 PM »
As an old fart...I feel I can state with ABSOLUTE certainty the reason the little cars drive like idiots...the are being driven by idiots! Namely...young males! Having been one myself, some years ago, I can remember driving like I was the only one on the road. Why do you think insurance is so expensive for young twerps?
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

spongebob [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2010, 03:28:40 PM »
Haha... soo true. Plus you gotta love the soccer moms in their SUVs. They think cuz they have all that "metal" around them nothing will harm them!!!
 :ha_ha: If they only knew they were surrounded by tons of plastic which is no match for a decent size tree. 

*** YELLER ***

• BIGMIKE SAID I WAS A CLOWN SO .... GUESS THATS THAT
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 314
  • Male Posts: 4,686
  • Member since Oct '05
  • USMC NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2010, 03:34:54 PM »
Haha... soo true. Plus you gotta love the soccer moms in their SUVs. They think cuz they have all that "metal" around them nothing will harm them!!!
 :ha_ha: If they only knew they were surrounded by tons of plastic which is no match for a decent size tree. 

or a decent size tire....
MY ONLY REGRET IS THAT I HAVE NOTHING USEFUL TO OFFER THIS FORUM  :moon:
except BACON

Quick Draw

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 250
  • Member since Feb '10
  • Her name is Doris.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2010, 03:43:10 PM »
I'm a "young twerp".  I've got :pokinit: to do....places to be...   But I don't tail gate.  I just blow past you, and if I do it right, you'll never see me again.  When you're in traffic, there's really no point to driving aggressively at all.  You just look like a jackass when you go for your best 0-60 time and get stopped next to the same car at the next light.  But wait... are you saying my Legacy 2.5 GT isn't a race car either?   ??? 
'80 Pickup, 5VZ-FE engine, A340F transmission, Marlin gear drive adapter, Dual Ultimate transfer cases, 5.29 gears, Detroit rear/Lockrite front locker, 37" Goodyear MTRs, XRC8 winch, custom tube bed and armor

ROCKO

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -49
  • Male Posts: 743
  • Member since Sep '07
  • NOR-CAL WHEELIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2010, 03:46:32 PM »
I'm a "young twerp".  I've got :pokinit: to do....places to be...   But I don't tail gate.  I just blow past you, and if I do it right, you'll never see me again.  When you're in traffic, there's really no point to driving aggressively at all.  You just look like a jackass when you go for your best 0-60 time and get stopped next to the same car at the next light.  But wait... are you saying my Legacy 2.5 GT isn't a race car either?   ???

nope not a race car....
JUST ANOTHER ROCK CRAWLER....
with a lot of good stuff

F@$K CANCER

Quick Draw

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '10
  • Her name is Doris.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2010, 03:49:15 PM »
Damn it!   ....I was so sure it was!   :greengrin:

(I hope you caught the sarcasm the first time...)
'80 Pickup, 5VZ-FE engine, A340F transmission, Marlin gear drive adapter, Dual Ultimate transfer cases, 5.29 gears, Detroit rear/Lockrite front locker, 37" Goodyear MTRs, XRC8 winch, custom tube bed and armor

pumkin toy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Do You Know A Sweeney Bro?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2010, 03:52:11 PM »
I'm a "young twerp".  I've got :pokinit: to do....places to be...   But I don't tail gate.  I just blow past you, and if I do it right, you'll never see me again.  When you're in traffic, there's really no point to driving aggressively at all.  You just look like a jackass when you go for your best 0-60 time and get stopped next to the same car at the next light.  But wait... are you saying my Legacy 2.5 GT isn't a race car either?   ???
what year legacy is it?  I know its not real hard to get 300+ hp out of those, so yeah it could be a race car!
97 4runner Limited
4runner Build Thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54076.1410#lastPost

Started my own fab business recently check out the website  www.c4fabrication.com

also follow C4Fab on facebook for regular updates on projects. http://www.facebook.com/pages/C4-Fabrication/454285357953823

spongebob [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 05, 2010, 03:55:10 PM »
My old Crown Vic with the light bar on top... now that was a race car!!!
But I was trained in high speed driving...

There is a difference between driving fast and KNOWING how to drive fast

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #9 on: Mar 05, 2010, 04:06:02 PM »
Add 20hp with a 4" exhaust..................
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

GreyBeard

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 17
  • Member since Dec '06
  • I'm gettin' too old for this...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 05, 2010, 04:08:14 PM »
Wait a minit!  Real racecars don't have doors!    :hammer:
'87 4Runner, 22RE, 5 speed, 4.7 Txfer, 4.88:1 f/r, ARBs f/r, 33x10.5x15 BFG Allterrains, Marlin front bumper, CBI-fab bolt-on sliders and rear bumper w/tire mount, and Sigh...still IFS

Quick Draw

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '10
  • Her name is Doris.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 05, 2010, 04:08:29 PM »
It's a '99.  Big enough turbo, and it will seriously move I'm sure.  In stock trim I think it will kick a Crown Vic's ass, to be honest... I've never heard of them being too quick.

And as for an education in driving....  What about the countless experiences where I did something stupid, got lucky, and lived?  Next time, you know to toss it in 2nd gear a little earlier for that turn and that the apex comes late.

Oh I should mention that when you're used to driving a rock crawler to the limits of its handling capabilities, suddenly when you hop in a Subaru, driving fast is EASY... :eyebrow:

And before anybody jumps down my throat...your sarcasm meter should be pegged right now.

And no to the 4" exhaust...lol.  I would rather my car still actually idle, and have some torque.
« Last Edit: Mar 05, 2010, 04:16:57 PM by Quick Draw »

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 05, 2010, 04:43:06 PM »
As an old fart...I feel I can state with ABSOLUTE certainty the reason the little cars drive like idiots...the are being driven by idiots! Namely...young males! Having been one myself, some years ago, I can remember driving like I was the only one on the road. Why do you think insurance is so expensive for young twerps?
As another old fart -- I agree!!

With one exception - I see quite a few young females testing the laws of physics, often while multi-tasking...   :ack:
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 05, 2010, 09:13:00 PM »
Werd, not that younger males don't drive poorly too, but girls have 2 positions while driving:  full throttle or hard on the brakes late.  Throw in a little rain and...

RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 1,876
  • Member since Feb '07
  • F***in catalina wine mixer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 05, 2010, 10:11:33 PM »
i drive my dually just as hard as any tuner car kid. i think it has mostly to do with teenagers wanting to "go fast". they get a cheap little honda, acura, etc and think they are going fast because theyre spinning there tires or quarter miling it every stop light. i'd like to see most of these kids in a car with 600+ horses and watch them :pokinit: there pants. im talking in the passenger seat of coarse, put them in the driver seat and you'll see how to make a car into a taco real quick. my favorite is those kids with a jetta or suby and think they should make the blow off valve go off every three seconds while trying to look for a parking spot :shake:

Werd, not that younger males don't drive poorly too, but girls have 2 positions while driving:  full throttle or hard on the brakes late.  Throw in a little rain and...

too true :shake:
1973 HILUX build up-------> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.new#new

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

Quick Draw

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '10
  • Her name is Doris.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 05, 2010, 10:37:41 PM »
That reminds me....  The guys in diesels are every bit as bad as the ones in Hondas!  They have the opposite of a "short car" but they drag race every light, and dump as much smoke as they possibly can.  Sorry, but the guy in the diesel doing that screams jerk bag more than the kid in a Honda.  Especially when the truck is a daily driver that has never towed anything, is lifted 2 feet, and has never been off the pavement.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Mar 06, 2010, 07:17:16 AM »
Whats funny, is that I used to be the idiot out there on the road, passing people and driving like I stole it.  But there was less people on the roads then too. 
We didn't try to attract attention to ourselves.  If we did the cops were all over us.  So, we always took the racing to remote roads, and airports.   

But another thing, its not just the ricers.  It's everybody nowdays.  I got delivery trucks, grandma in her Lexus, and Johny boy in his lifted F-350 with stacks that is riding your ass everywhere you go.  Today, everybody is in a hurry.  When I slow down to make the turn off the hwy onto my street, there is no shoulder to pull onto before turning, and every car behind me, I can't see their headlights they are so close.  There have been thousands of times, I couldn't see 3" between bumpers at times.  So, it's this attitude that we are all in a hurry.  Doesn't matter on age or car.  Just that we notice the Ricers more cause they are VERY OBNOXIOUS vehicles. 

But I agree, smile as you go under.  And if your stupid and wreck into my car with my family in it, I will not be kind on your ass! 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

bleakhorizon

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 803
  • Member since Jul '07
  • I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Mar 06, 2010, 01:17:06 PM »
cheese, i hate that intersection, when i lived with my parents they lived at the 1mile marker up the kilchis, i had a friend that lived out by you and you wouldn't (actually prob would) imagine how many times i was honked at, gestured to, or plain just almost piled up by turning there....

And if your stupid and wreck into my car with my family in it, I will not be kind on your ass!  

Amen brotha
Those are some huge welds!

Tillamook, OR

mkyhmltn

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 63
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Mar 06, 2010, 05:27:43 PM »
Wait a minit!  Real racecars don't have doors!    :hammer:

Does that mean that my Samurai is a race car?

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Mar 06, 2010, 10:34:01 PM »
I will say, I am a traffic ass.  If you come zipping down the freeway and get on my ass when I have a vehicle next to me and no chance to move over, I tap my brakes and slow down if you don't take the hint.  If you don't get the hint, I match the speed of the car next to me either until you get the point or until it's time to exit the freeaway.  But to make it worse, when I do pass the other car and move into the slow lane, I move over very slowly so you either have to a: wait even longer, or b: share the lane with me.  You'd be surprised how many idiots take option b, which just temps me to linger longer  :gap:

Now if you come running up behind me quickly and get the point when I tap the brakes and back off, I hold my speed and move over when I'm safely past the other car.

Now twisty roads... that's a different story.  Not to be cocky, but I rarely get passed.  Some people notice me coming up quickly and move out of the way at the first opportunity.  Some notice and move over after flashing my lights at them.  Some notice but refuse to move over no matter how patient I am or how many times I flash the lights.  It is then and only then that I'll ride their ass a little, but I'm still at a safe distance and can react. 

On the bike it's a different story still, but people are usually very willing to move out of the way when they see me coming  :biked:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

catfish

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Mar 12, 2010, 12:40:25 PM »
I like to drive, I commute 50 miles each way to work, and yes my 2wd tacoma is my sports car, I try very hard not to be rude or cause anyone else to have to brake or change lanes but I do like to keep it wound up a bit, and I am an old fart

bob

<MIKE>

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 618
  • Member since Dec '09
  • Swap, Lock, and Rock it
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #21 on: Mar 12, 2010, 01:15:50 PM »
I'm a firefighter so i get to see first hand what happens to these kids who drive like Dumb :moon: $2500 honda civics don't do much damage to trees.  I remember not long ago i was one of them too. its just how 18 yr olds are.
1987 4runner
Dual cases, 2.28-4.7
Dana 60 Rear; Danna 44 front; 5.89’s
249:1

CrazyYota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 92
  • Male Posts: 1,073
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Mar 12, 2010, 08:49:08 PM »
my favorite is those kids with a jetta or suby and think they should make the blow off valve go off every three seconds while trying to look for a parking spot :shake:

This guy across the street does this every day when he pulls in or out of his driveway. ::)
>Chuck Norris invented black. In fact, he invented the entire spectrum of visible light. Except pink. Tom Cruise invented pink.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Mar 12, 2010, 10:16:51 PM »
This guy across the street does this every day when he pulls in or out of his driveway. ::)

:rofl:

The guy that used to live in the rental caddy corner to me used to do the same thing.  Except he did it in a Dodge 2500. 
Poor truck :down:  The guy would come out, start the truck, throw it in reverse, romp on it out of the driveway, throw it in first, then romp on it through the gears all the way down the road.  Keep in mind this is at 7 am, in 0-20* weather.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Mar 13, 2010, 08:21:31 AM »
The guy would come out, start the truck, throw it in reverse, romp on it out of the driveway, throw it in first, then romp on it through the gears all the way down the road.  Keep in mind this is at 7 am, in 0-20* weather.
Reminds me of a guy I worked with in the late Sixties... we were in NE Washington, near the Canadian border, and it was COLD. He'd fire up his '66 Caprice to go to work, and hold the 427 at what seemed like full throttle for at least a couple minutes. Said it helped it warm up faster....   :hammer:
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Mar 13, 2010, 09:09:42 PM »
That's not much worse than the bs car manufacturers are telling people now about the best way to warm up your car is to start it and take off right away  :shake:  Yea, tolerances are much tighter than back then, but it's still wise to let it warm up a little before driving, unless you like buying expensive engines  :dunno:  I've seen cold siezure in tight tolerance engines too, and it's never pretty  :ack:
RIP KYOTA

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Mar 13, 2010, 10:53:19 PM »
That's not much worse than the bs car manufacturers are telling people now about the best way to warm up your car is to start it and take off right away  :shake:  Yea, tolerances are much tighter than back then, but it's still wise to let it warm up a little before driving, unless you like buying expensive engines  :dunno:  I've seen cold siezure in tight tolerance engines too, and it's never pretty  :ack:

Same here :yesnod:

I go out and start my truck about 15 min before I go to work.  Even with that, it still takes about 5 min of light driving (taking it easy, 35 and 45 mph) to get the truck up to operating temp.  Thats with the same engine my neighbor has (for now) 

I cringe at the thought of doing that to any of my vehicles.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Mar 13, 2010, 10:57:17 PM »
It used to make me cringe watching people warm up their bikes when I raced dirt bikes.  I'd fire mine up and keep blipping the throttle, holding it a little longer every now and then to see if it was warm enough to run clean.  Then there were the guys who'd fire it up and hold it full throttle till it'd clean out, saying it warmed them up faster  :shudder:
RIP KYOTA

DD85runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 329
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Mar 14, 2010, 10:59:48 PM »
hey now quit pickin on the young kids. i drive a rice rocket mostly because it was cheap and gets good mileage. for the first 2 weeks i had my license i drove like a jackass thought i was cool in my little 200hp car haha, but after the first speeding ticket i didnt really feel like paying twice as much for insurance and sitting in traffic school again. now i look back and see how  :stopit: i mustve looked racing my little honda around like it was a muscle car
85 4runner: 5.29s, duals with 4.7, ARB fr, detroit r, hi steer, bobbed 12"
89 4runner sr5: sold
98 prelude: DD

82rustbeast

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 318
  • Male Posts: 500
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #29 on: Mar 14, 2010, 11:54:54 PM »
its just what young kids do. I drove my 84 4cyl Dodge ram 500 like I stole it. First day I had my lisence i was doing burnouts, dounuts, and speeding. But it wasnt fast anyway. But I learned my lesson when i dropped the clutch at 3500 rpm and broke a motor mount.

Then my 1st gen and 4runner I would drive them hard off and on, but I usually had a reason, ie: an a-hole on the freeway tailgating.

But I was just coming down I5 earlier and i had my cruise set at 70, and i get right behind a semi and merge to pass and this little Mitsu Lancer wouldnt let me in. So when he finally sped up and passed me i got right on him, at a safe distance though, and when I had an opening, I passed him in the slow lane.

I then moved in front of him and set my cruise back on 70. Then he tried to pass me, so i sped up and kept him right on the rear corner of my Ford. I played with him off and on slowing down a speeding up, until I decided to be nice and let him pass and go on with his evening.

But not without giving him a "nice californee howdy'  :fakeflip:

So main thing, just dont you little ricer mess with a fullsize with a big winch bumper on the front, because I can assure you that my mild steel will hold up a bit better than your fiberglass carbon fiber plastic crap.