Author Topic: 98 Tacoma 3.4L Power steering issues  (Read 6086 times)

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,175
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
98 Tacoma 3.4L Power steering issues
« on: Feb 22, 2010, 01:08:59 PM »
So I know that my power steering system has taken a beating.  When I bought the truck the power steering boots were broken.  I replaced the boots and flushed the system.  It worked great when I first flushed the system.  But after my last wheeling trip when the vehicle is stationary on pavement and I turn the wheels I can turn it about a half a turn from the center posisiton towards either direction fine.  But if I turn it any further.  It like pulses.  It's easy to turn then hard then easy and hard...  I don't know what it is.  Is it the power steering pump or the rack or ???

Any help would be great.

Quick Draw

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 250
  • Member since Feb '10
  • Her name is Doris.
    • View Profile
Re: 98 Tacoma 3.4L Power steering issues
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2010, 01:41:24 PM »
With my old Tacoma, I did A TON of power steering diagnosis and repair...  Damn I hated that.

First, check your fluid level.

Then if that's fine, I would flush the system.  I had that down to a science... 

I like to buy 2 bottles of ATF (NOT POWER STEERING FLUID.....ATF!!).  One is for flushing, and the other is for filling.  Place a large cup on the frame rail to the left of the pump.  Pull the low pressure return line (the one with a regular hose clamp and rubber hose) off of the reservoir.  Try to catch as much of the fluid as you can into the cup, then route the return hose inside of it.  Now, pull each of the wires off the ignition coils on the passenger side to disable the ignition (but make sure you keep track of which goes where).  This is to keep the return pressure manageable.  If you just start the engine, you're asking for a HUGE  mess...  At this point, have a friend sit in the driver's seat to crank the engine and turn the wheels lock to lock while you pour ATF slowly into the reservoir.  Keep flushing until you only see clean red ATF coming out steadily.  Put the return line back on, and the wires back on to the coils.  Now fill up the reservoir.  Start then engine, and turn the wheel lock to lock several times.  You should see the fluid level subsiding with each turn, so keep topping it off periodically.  Hopefully as you continue to do this it will get quieter and easier to turn the wheels.

'80 Pickup, 5VZ-FE engine, A340F transmission, Marlin gear drive adapter, Dual Ultimate transfer cases, 5.29 gears, Detroit rear/Lockrite front locker, 37" Goodyear MTRs, XRC8 winch, custom tube bed and armor

TacoStewie

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 816
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2010, 02:51:18 PM »
Sounds like your pump to me
4THEWKN

Yota87Truck [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:33:38 PM »
With my old Tacoma, I did A TON of power steering diagnosis and repair...  Damn I hated that.

First, check your fluid level.

Then if that's fine, I would flush the system.  I had that down to a science... 

I like to buy 2 bottles of ATF (NOT POWER STEERING FLUID.....ATF!!).  One is for flushing, and the other is for filling.  Place a large cup on the frame rail to the left of the pump.  Pull the low pressure return line (the one with a regular hose clamp and rubber hose) off of the reservoir.  Try to catch as much of the fluid as you can into the cup, then route the return hose inside of it.  Now, pull each of the wires off the ignition coils on the passenger side to disable the ignition (but make sure you keep track of which goes where).  This is to keep the return pressure manageable.  If you just start the engine, you're asking for a HUGE  mess...  At this point, have a friend sit in the driver's seat to crank the engine and turn the wheels lock to lock while you pour ATF slowly into the reservoir.  Keep flushing until you only see clean red ATF coming out steadily.  Put the return line back on, and the wires back on to the coils.  Now fill up the reservoir.  Start then engine, and turn the wheel lock to lock several times.  You should see the fluid level subsiding with each turn, so keep topping it off periodically.  Hopefully as you continue to do this it will get quieter and easier to turn the wheels.

I have already flushed it and about a month after the flush this problem started.

Also I looked at it more today.  It is a little above the full line. Would that cause a problem when the system is cold?  I know it might when its hot.  BUt cold?  And it is fine while driving, but when the vehicle is stationary it does it.

Yota87Truck [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:36:33 PM »
Sounds like your pump to me

That's what I was leaning towards.  Is there anyway to diagnose the pump?

TacoStewie

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 816
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2010, 08:33:06 AM »
That's what I was leaning towards.  Is there anyway to diagnose the pump?

a new one. Mine did the same thing and a new pump fixed it. But as far as diagnose it I don't know
4THEWKN

ROKTOY829

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Male Posts: 191
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2010, 08:35:08 PM »
There is a gauge that you install in series with the power steering system. But not sure if there is a aftermarket gauge. Checks the psi. How are the inner tie rod ends?

Yota87Truck [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2010, 09:57:03 PM »
I will check them