Author Topic: How do I produce more power from a 1986 22RET?  (Read 28465 times)

AZ 4X4

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 62
  • Member since Aug '08
  • My BA Truck
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
How do I produce more power from a 1986 22RET?
« on: Feb 07, 2010, 08:22:37 AM »
I have an 86 pickup with the turbo motor, and I want to get more power.
Would a intercooler help? Is there a header the works? How about a good exhaust?
Kristopher A Donath

87pickup

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 33
  • Male Posts: 719
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
Re: How do I produce more power from a 1986 22RET?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2010, 09:38:13 AM »
 I had a intercooler on mine and didnt notice a difference, I sold the motor and the current owner cranked up the boost a few pounds, played with the afm and put a blow off valve on it and it gets going pretty good. I bet its cheaper and more effective then exhaust or a intercooler would be. :twocents:

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Male Posts: 1,241
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2010, 10:35:12 AM »
http://www.yotatech.com/f191/dirtco-s-1986-4runner-build-up-thread-155840/

86 turbo runner- he did a few things to it from what i can remember

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=731541
a lot of turbo work
Colorado...its where the cool kids live

joey0712

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,459
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
91 Toyota High pinions f&r.

87hillbillyoter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -43
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Mar '10
  • git er duuunnn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 09:02:54 AM »
id go with a doug thorley header+flowmaster,magnaflow etc..., but i definitely noticed a difference on my 87 22r
:usa:
1987 SAS'ed toyota 4x4 pickup 22re swap
build up- http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=75111.0

pumkin toy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Do You Know A Sweeney Bro?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 09:05:41 AM »
id go with a doug thorley header+flowmaster,magnaflow etc..., but i definitely noticed a difference on my 87 22r
Uh yeah, a Doug Thorley header isnt going to help a turbo at all, because you cant bolt a turbo to it! :shakehead:
97 4runner Limited
4runner Build Thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54076.1410#lastPost

Started my own fab business recently check out the website  www.c4fabrication.com

also follow C4Fab on facebook for regular updates on projects. http://www.facebook.com/pages/C4-Fabrication/454285357953823

87hillbillyoter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -43
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Mar '10
  • git er duuunnn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 09:21:40 AM »
ha wow yea didnt think of that. nevermind dont listen to the noob! :smack:
1987 SAS'ed toyota 4x4 pickup 22re swap
build up- http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=75111.0

ccolby3

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 105
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 03, 2010, 03:25:40 PM »
I have an 86 pickup with the turbo motor, and I want to get more power.
Would a intercooler help? Is there a header the works? How about a good exhaust?

An intercooler job is to lower the temperature of the intake charge. It make the air cooler, and more dense, so you can cram more air into the cylinder. It will not make more power just from an intercooler,  it's a piece to a puzzle. If you want more power, then you want more cool air, fuel and timing from a gas engine. DOA racing engines has a link to a truck ,that lays out everything that one of there customers did to his engine.  It's interesting reading, and educational and has allot of information on how to build power on the 22RET.

88_Pathy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 65
  • Male Posts: 1,251
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Raised suspension
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 03, 2010, 03:41:32 PM »
Intercoolers do help horsepower a lot,  but in your case I would try to add a little boost then play with the timing.  Lean out the AFR a little and it useually helps.  Maybe go with the Supra turbo (ct26?).  Wastegate mods, bigger downpipe, and free flowing exhaust are all good to start with.

Cobbtunedsti

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 15, 2011, 04:30:56 PM »
Intercoolers do help horsepower a lot,  but in your case I would try to add a little boost then play with the timing.  Lean out the AFR a little and it useually helps.  Maybe go with the Supra turbo (ct26?).  Wastegate mods, bigger downpipe, and free flowing exhaust are all good to start with.
Well said^^^^^^ all this and a good safe tune!!! Running e85 will also help but it's hard to find!! E 85 is great for turbo vehicles.. You won't pick up any engine knock so you can run lots of timing and A/F as lean as 12.0-12.8. I make a 100whp more on e85 than 91oct in my Wrx Sti!!!

AZ 4X4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '08
  • My BA Truck
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
I am pretty new to the Turbo scene. What exactly does a Blow off vaulve and haw hard is it to install one?
Kristopher A Donath

rubiconrunnerneville

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 89
  • Member since Jan '12
  • I need 37s
    • View Profile
a blow-off valve or waste gate reliefs pressure from the turbo and turbo piping 
ASE certified tech. Cummins factory trained tech.

88sasturbotoy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 108
  • Member since May '13
  • if it aint broke....add some rowdy to the mix
    • View Profile
i know this thread hasnt been posted on for a while but anyways the last post about a bov if you do that you have to get a recirculating one because of how the afm works if you have an atmosphere bov and shift you get rid of all the air that the afm has already counted as there it will go really rich for a second and back fire and its just not good for the motor....ive got about 15 to 18psi running from mine my mods include arp head studs very cridicle for high boost mls head gasket my head is slightly ported with a little bit bigger valves i run a c270 cam from doa racing lc engineering manifold with a garrett tec turbo its a t3 .60 ar spools up quick very nice i havent started tne fuel and intake yet but i plan to go megasquirt once the stock ecu cant handle the motor anymore i think it was posted earlier go to www.22rte-trucks.com dedicated to just this motor youll find alot of info any other ?s just ask i can explain how i did mine and problems i ran into and why i went the way i did
88 xtra cab pickup solid axle swapped 5spd swapped 4.7 swap turbo 15psi swapped = rowdy

AZ 4X4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '08
  • My BA Truck
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Thank you for the info.
Kristopher A Donath

84toyota4x4sr5

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 313
  • Member since Jun '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Intercoolers do help horsepower a lot,  but in your case I would try to add a little boost then play with the timing.  Lean out the AFR a little and it useually helps.  Maybe go with the Supra turbo (ct26?).  Wastegate mods, bigger downpipe, and free flowing exhaust are all good to start With.

Intercoolers do not increase horsepower by themselves they help sustain power by cooling the intake charge and they can actually make you loose power  especially on a 22rte that did not come with one and is low boost to begin. If you just add a intercooler deepening on size you can loose a few psI and waste gates do not relieve pressure the regulate boost by by opening up a valve on the turbine/hot side and allowing the exhaust gases to by pass the turbine keeping it from over boosting

A few simple things would be a better flowing exhaust and an intake to stay cheap and gain a little more umph

And my last 22rte I built a header for a stock Mitsubishi eclipse T-25 turbo boosting 16psi with a Garret front mount, Greddy type rs bov, rebuilt injectors, vent to atmosphere waste gate dump, intake and a catless exhaust with 2.5" exhaust   

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,727
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
I know this is an old thread but FYI LCengineering makes a nice bolt on stainless steel header for the 22-RET.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
This is a doozie of a thread I've missed.

For starters there is no such thing as a 22RET.

I had a intercooler on mine and didnt notice a difference

An intercooler job is to lower the temperature of the intake charge. It make the air cooler, and more dense, so you can cram more air into the cylinder. It will not make more power just from an intercooler,  it's a piece to a puzzle. If you want more power, then you want more cool air, fuel and timing from a gas engine.

Intercoolers do help horsepower a lot

Intercoolers do not increase horsepower by themselves they help sustain power by cooling the intake charge and they can actually make you loose power  especially on a 22rte that did not come with one and is low boost to begin. If you just add a intercooler deepening on size you can loose a few psI

Just a few notes, mostly on IC.

I bolded the most useful sentence above from ccolby3. More air (ideally cool), more fuel (to an extent), and more timing (to an extent) is the recipe for more torque (and subsequently more power). This is then what to strive for to achieve more power.

The arguments about intercoolers loosing power can be both correct and incorrect depending on the application (what capabilities were built-in from the factory) and the environment/climate the engine is operated in. 84toyota4x4sr5 is correct in that you will experience a pressure drop with an intercooler, but what's more important is if the 22R-TE's ECU has a large enough range to adjust for the cooler, more dense and oxygen rich air that you'd gain by using an intercooler. If so, then you'll find you will make more power with an intercooler at say 4.5 PSI than you would with no intercooler at 6 PSI boost. Because our fuels are so poor, especially in states like California that only get 91oct, a hot intake charge will be extra detrimental to power output because the ECU will have to pull back a lot of timing to prevent detonation.

I can't remember where I heard it, but I believe there is a general rule of thumb where every 10 degrees F drop in intake air you will gain 1 horsepower. I imagine this is amplified with forced induction applications. Cooler air is more dense and has more parts oxygen, so the ECU can be more aggressive by adding fuel and timing without running rich or detonating.

ccolby3 and 84toyota4x4sr4 are right that there are multiple pieces to the puzzle, but if the ECU is already holding back due to excessively high intake temps, then only adding just an intercooler really should yield an improvement. I see 87pickup didn't notice any gains, but it would be interesting to compare this on a dyno and see how clever the 22R-TE's ECU is, if it could adjust enough to put up bigger power numbers from just the addition of an intercooler but with slightly lower boost.

Of course the easiest way to more power from a forced induction engine is to up the boost. But this isn't advisable on the 22R-TE without an intercooler short of using water or water/alcohol injection (more efficient intercooling than using an air-to-air intercooler but also less reliable, higher maintenance, and more trouble prone than using an air-to-air / standard intercooler).

I would start by adding a front mount air-to-air intercooler, then do as others have suggested to up your boost and/or run a more efficient turbo. Cylinder head porting and running larger valves will help, but their benefits are less noticed on a forced induction setup compared to a naturally aspirated setup. Having said that however, the 22R head is pretty restrictive in order to build good bottom end torque so this might be something to consider down the road to stretch the power band higher in the RPM range.

BigMike
« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2013, 02:03:06 PM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Took me a while but I found pictures of cdyosh's 1986 Turbo Marlin built a long time ago and I added a front mount intercooler (FMIC) to:

Garret hybrid turbo on stock manifold connected to a normally aspirated 22R-E cylinder head for higher compression

Here is the intercooler work I did when I was just 19 yrs old (so like a few days ago :yupyup: )

The intercooler used is a top mount unit from my old JDM 4A-GZE Supercharged engine, but I don't have a better picture of it. It fit really well between the grill and radiator but his A/C was an aftermarket add-on that stopped working so we removed the condenser to fit the intercooler. Pipes and IC are 2" diameter. Also as you can see he has a body lift that gave room to run the piping above the passenger's side of the radiator.

The boost is set to 12 psi and it pulls pretty strong. Hope this helps!
BigMike
« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2013, 02:05:39 PM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

twistedtoy92

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
Another trick that works wonders is water/meth injection! Lowers AFR's by about one full point. Get a good wideband so you can monitor AFR's then start cranking up the boost 1 pound at a time untill you lean out then back it off alittle bit into the safety zone!  :biggthumpup:  :driving:  :burnout:
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)

88_Pathy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 65
  • Male Posts: 1,251
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Raised suspension
    • View Profile
Water meth is great when it works right. But when it hit full boost I don't want to worry about a pump putting the water/meth combo into the engine. I'd rather be safe. Build the motor right, run safe boost, AFR and timing is key. Play with it and tune it a little at a time.

Native Warrior

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 121
  • Male Posts: 37
  • Member since Jan '19
  • An Indian Reservation High in the Cascade Range
    • View Profile
You can also add a RV Cam to the motor. I used to have a 22re-t truck not so great on the gas mileage when running 33x10.50x16” BFG kO2’s 11 miles o the gallon.