Author Topic: Flomaster Offroad Diamond plated muffler  (Read 2607 times)

GNasty 82

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 994
  • Male Posts: 206
  • Member since Nov '09
  • Get Nasty!!!
    • View Profile
Flomaster Offroad Diamond plated muffler
« on: Feb 05, 2010, 09:49:41 AM »
OK guys,

I just found a muffler by Flomaster that calling offroad worthy.  It's a Super 44 Extreme Offroad muffler listed here:
http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=34_216&products_id=4156 and cheaper on Summit here http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLO-942446OR/.

I was wondering if anybody has any knowledge of these.  Are they new?  Are they actually more rugged or is the diamond plate just for looks?

I've always been a fan of Flomaster, but I question whether the diamond plate is actually useful for anything other than looks.

82 Toyota SR5 Pickup
  Marlin Dual Ultimate
  Front 5.29 LC HP Elocker
  Rear 5.29 Grizzly Locker
  BFG 37" KM2s
  Custom rear frame and flatbed
  Propane Powered.

Build Thread:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64521.0

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."-Thomas Jefferson

Yota-Freak

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 469
  • Member since Jul '08
  • Pass tha' whiskey and that rot gut Shine.
    • View Profile
Re: Flomaster Offroad Diamond plated muffler
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2010, 10:53:31 AM »
i dont know about u...but the looks of my muffler is the last thing im worried about lol. even if the dimond plate makes it stronger, its just not worth it to me...for i dont care if its there or not. it does look agressive though...now bed line it=)

Yota-Freak

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 469
  • Member since Jul '08
  • Pass tha' whiskey and that rot gut Shine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2010, 10:55:31 AM »
provide superior reductions in exterior sound levels and resonance, which are transmitted through the exhaust system and into the vehicle. You get all of this, plus improved torque and horsepower, and that famous Flowmaster sound!
....id get it for that i supose though. and it says its 10x crush resistant

GNasty 82 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '09
  • Get Nasty!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2010, 11:49:43 AM »
i dont know about u...but the looks of my muffler is the last thing im worried about lol. even if the dimond plate makes it stronger, its just not worth it to me...for i dont care if its there or not. it does look agressive though...now bed line it=)

I agree, I could care less what my muffler looks like, so long as it fits and I'm not too worried about that since the truck just has the stock manifold and down pipe now.  I'm just going to get some headers and a muffler and build the exhaust system to fit.

I have a Flomaster on my Chevy and it's one of their stainless delta flow 40s and I really like how the it's built with some thick beefy steel and was looking for something similar when I came across this.  My first thought was that it was just a "fashion" gimmick, but decided to at least give them the benefit of doubt.  So that's why I'm asking here.

I'm sure a regular 44 or 40 series like I have on my Chevy will do just fine, but the regular 44 and the offroad 44 are the same price on summit so I may try it and see.  If nothing else, it is anodized (sp?) which may offer some addition protection (maybe or maybe not).
82 Toyota SR5 Pickup
  Marlin Dual Ultimate
  Front 5.29 LC HP Elocker
  Rear 5.29 Grizzly Locker
  BFG 37" KM2s
  Propane Powered.

Build Thread:

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."-Thomas Jefferson

86rustbucket

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2010, 12:06:16 PM »
if it dont cost any more go for it

PA_taco_13

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 309
  • Member since Dec '05
  • PA Muddin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2010, 01:06:27 PM »
I have one of the 44 off road mufflers. It sounds good but, I don't think it's worth the coin you spend for it.  If you're going for sound and some extra HP, buy a muffler you can see straight through.  Cherry Bomb for example.  The black finish on my 44 went to crap in 2.5 seconds!  You can see it in this thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=58002.60.  (I took the pic where the muffler looks best)  I don't know what you're getting quoted for pricing but my local parts stores were in the 120's.  While working in Ohio I stopped in at summit racing and picked one up there it was 86 bux.  I don't think I would put another one of these mufflers on my truck unless it was free or under 50 bux.
learn the hard way 

"my dixie wrecked"

east coast crawler

GNasty 82 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '09
  • Get Nasty!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2010, 01:35:32 PM »
PA_taco,  thanks for the info.  As far as pricing goes, I can get either the regular stainless Super 44 or the offroad 44 for $89 off summit's website, or the stainless delta 40 for $79, which is what it looks like I'm going to end up doing after your info.  That is unless someone can prove to me that the offroad diamond plate one is made of thicker material or is otherwise stronger.  As for as sound goes, I'm not too concerned with what it sounds like so long as is doesn't sound like a pissed off bumble be and isn't too loud.
82 Toyota SR5 Pickup
  Marlin Dual Ultimate
  Front 5.29 LC HP Elocker
  Rear 5.29 Grizzly Locker
  BFG 37" KM2s
  Propane Powered.

Build Thread:

PA_taco_13

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 309
  • Member since Dec '05
  • PA Muddin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2010, 02:21:40 PM »
sound :think:   Well the sound is deep I am running LCE header, 2 and 1/4" pipe, magna flow hi flow cat <could look right through>, and the 44 muffler.  I have been told my truck has a sweet sound by other toy owners who have exhaust work done on their rigs.  Took my truck on an 8 hour ride just last week...tons of back roads and hills on the way down, and highway with hills on the way back, and it only got on my nerves once.  And that was remedied by turning the stereo up a little.  :gap:
learn the hard way 

"my dixie wrecked"

east coast crawler

GNasty 82 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '09
  • Get Nasty!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2010, 02:53:37 PM »
Nice to hear.  I thought I recognized the cat in the picture.  I have the same hi flow magnaflow on my chevy, but I won't be putting one on the yota (no smog laws in AL  :biggthumpup:).  Besides that, the truck is on propane.  But I've decided I have got to do the exhaust work before I have to pay the pigs.  I just got a warning from one recently.  So before I finish any other mods, the exhaust has got to be done up and I'm not about to put on a muffler and pipes to the stock manifold, so time to dish out some $$ for headers and a muffler.  Which LCE headers do you have?  How was the install and fit with a solid front axle?  I have been looking at the LCE Pro Header for the 20R/22R/22RE being that smog is a non-issue for me.
82 Toyota SR5 Pickup
  Marlin Dual Ultimate
  Front 5.29 LC HP Elocker
  Rear 5.29 Grizzly Locker
  BFG 37" KM2s
  Propane Powered.

Build Thread:

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2010, 03:40:44 PM »
A Diamond plated muffler, thats great. 44 pounds of steel I dont need. Ditch 35lbs and just buy a normal one. (I know it doesnt weight 44lbs but it is Diamond Plate) I guess this could be a good idea if you needed your muffler to have a built in skid plate.
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2010, 03:57:16 PM »
I would think if you normally put enought weight on your muffler to crush it, then when you put one of these on you'd break a weld somewhere when something pushes on it.
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"