Author Topic: lifting 85 4runner fuel tank  (Read 2190 times)

bleakhorizon

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 803
  • Member since Jul '07
  • I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant.
    • View Profile
lifting 85 4runner fuel tank
« on: Jan 24, 2010, 09:05:38 PM »
So to my understanding the 4runners fuel tanks are lower than the generic pu fuel tank...  So has anyone "lifted" there tank......

I am wanting to do this as i want to stop bashing the crap out of it, and i am willing to hack up my floor boards, as i dont have a body lift either but just wondering if there was anyone with experience in the category...  BTW im not willing to put a fuel cell in the rear as i need my cargo space, i AM the "cargo" supplier for everyone lol

if no one has any pointers i will be goin at it blind for sure  :down:
Those are some huge welds!

Tillamook, OR

-Matt-

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -184
  • Male Posts: 1,010
  • Member since Jul '07
  • Full throttle Rollin steady
    • View Profile
Re: lifting 85 4runner fuel tank
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2010, 09:24:47 PM »
number one problem is you don't have a body lift as you stated. if you were to chop the floorboard to gain clearance and raise it up you might loose your passenger rear seat and possible something else...cant remember fully everything that's in the way. unless you have a problem with loosing a few gallons of capacity. you could just just let it clearance itself. i know it soudns ghetto but a lot of people with runners just let it get bashed up. it will usually at the most go up 2 inches and that's it. on my runner i lost some carrying capacity but in the end it looked just like a truck would...about 2 inches higher.  so far Ive never heard of any problems from letting it do that (like fuel pump breaking or hole in gas tank)

probably not what you wanted to hear but just through id throw it out there.

you could convert to an f150 tank and put it where the tire carrier was. works well with a runner but that also involves some mods.

bleakhorizon [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 803
  • Member since Jul '07
  • I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2010, 09:38:15 PM »
Yea my tank is already "clearnaced" like that lol.... im not worried about the passenger really im a big guy and i dont like people sitting behind me anyway. . . I do have a Bronco II tank that i could put where the spare tire used to be....  I think im just gona have to drop the tank and take a look at what im working with.....
Those are some huge welds!

Tillamook, OR

jtaco1

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 541
  • Male Posts: 176
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2010, 01:16:55 PM »
I built a 3/16" skid for mine since I wanted to keep my rear seat.  Seems to work decent, although I have bent the skid up into the tank, but it is better than punching a hole in it.
JT

DD - 05 Toyota 4 Runner
Trail Rig - 88 4 Runner with dual cases w/ 4.7's, Elocker rear axle, 37" PB Rockers and no lift

Was
99' Toyota Tacoma Crushed by Toyota