Author Topic: 1988 FJ62 Landcruiser 39k origional miles in parts yard  (Read 13090 times)

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,175
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
1988 FJ62 Landcruiser 39k origional miles in parts yard
« on: Jan 15, 2010, 12:56:31 PM »
So I went to the local pick a part yard and I found this jewl.  The door jam said '87 but all the rest of the paperwork said '88.  I couldn't find anything wrong with it.  I don't think it has been driven since '05 though.  I found an inspection paperwork that said 38,XXX miles and it was from '05.
« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2010, 09:14:58 AM by Yota87Truck »

Yota87Truck [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
more...

Yota87Truck [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
I have just barely taken a new liking to these vehicles and then I found this thing.  I don't know if the parts yard would sell the whole vehicle.  But even if they did I don't have the money right now.  I looked underneath it and found that both differentials are on the passenger side and thought that was cool and it also looked like the front solid axle was more beefed up than say a pickup axle.  I haven't heard of it but are these the prime SAS axle?  I know 85 pickup axles are the stronger that any of the previous pickups.  But are these FJ62 axles(well front one) stronger and just as easily swapped in?
« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2010, 09:15:21 AM by Yota87Truck »

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
That thing is beautiful! :drool: 

Yes, those axles are awesome for SAS. I'd definitely snag those at least, if not the whole rig, depending on price.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Yota87Truck [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
I did snag this complete tool kit for changing the spare tire for $5 bucks.  I didn't even have a full set of this in my 98 Tacoma when I bought it.

mk1motorsport

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -20
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
2yrs new to the toyota world thinking 62  :dunno:?  help me out if I'm wrong :beerchug:

CrazyYota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 92
  • Male Posts: 1,073
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I did snag this complete tool kit for changing the spare tire for $5 bucks.  I didn't even have a full set of this in my 98 Tacoma when I bought it.

That's so cool!  :yupyup: I have also seen some Toyotas at the junk yard that looked better than my truck when i bought it. Some people don't know what they are throwing away!! :nonono:
>Chuck Norris invented black. In fact, he invented the entire spectrum of visible light. Except pink. Tom Cruise invented pink.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Yeah thats a FJ62, cause the FJ60's were carb and 5 spd, FJ62's were EFI and automatics.

I'd snag a FJ60/62 front axle in a heart beat.  Wider, so you don't have to run spacers.  I got a buddy that has a FJ62 that when he decides to sell it, I get the first call.  Cause that is the rig i want for the family to cruise the woods in.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Yota87Truck [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
Yeah thats a FJ62, cause the FJ60's were carb and 5 spd, FJ62's were EFI and automatics.

I'd snag a FJ60/62 front axle in a heart beat.  Wider, so you don't have to run spacers.  I got a buddy that has a FJ62 that when he decides to sell it, I get the first call.  Cause that is the rig i want for the family to cruise the woods in.
62 then... I don't know much about these but yes it was EFI and an automatic.

It also was surprisingly wide.  I didn't expect them to be so roomy inside.  They look the same in size as any other yota out there from the outside.  But heck you could almost fit another bucket between the driver and passenger.

pumkin toy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Do You Know A Sweeney Bro?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
yeah those rigs are pretty cool.  The axles are nice to have for SAS.  they are wider and the birfields are larger, also i belive the ring gear is a 9" instead of 8".  So you dont get quite as much diff clearance but they are alot stronger.  They could deffinately be considered 1 ton parts for toyota.  idk what gears are available for them though, not sure if you can get 5:29's for them.  I do believe bobby long makes axles for them though :thumbs:
97 4runner Limited
4runner Build Thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54076.1410#lastPost

Started my own fab business recently check out the website  www.c4fabrication.com

also follow C4Fab on facebook for regular updates on projects. http://www.facebook.com/pages/C4-Fabrication/454285357953823

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
yeah those rigs are pretty cool.  The axles are nice to have for SAS.  they are wider and the birfields are larger, also i belive the ring gear is a 9" instead of 8".  So you dont get quite as much diff clearance but they are alot stronger.  They could deffinately be considered 1 ton parts for toyota.  idk what gears are available for them though, not sure if you can get 5:29's for them.  I do believe bobby long makes axles for them though :thumbs:

same birfs as a mini... its wider and sports a 9.5in R&P :D

the non-ELOCK FJ80s are 9.5 and have the larger balls and birfs and are wider then a FJ60 too...
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

pumkin toy

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer

the non-ELOCK FJ80s are 9.5 and have the larger balls and birfs and are wider then a FJ60 too...
Thanks dude, i couldnt remember the exact specs on the fj60/62 axles.  now i remember that its only the 80 series that have the larger birfs :hammerhead:
97 4runner Limited
4runner Build Thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54076.1410#lastPost

Started my own fab business recently check out the website  www.c4fabrication.com

also follow C4Fab on facebook for regular updates on projects. http://www.facebook.com/pages/C4-Fabrication/454285357953823

CrazyYota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 92
  • Male Posts: 1,073
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile

the rear axle of the FJ80's are 9.5 the front is 8" hi pinion.
>Chuck Norris invented black. In fact, he invented the entire spectrum of visible light. Except pink. Tom Cruise invented pink.

85_4RNR

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Male Posts: 265
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
 :rivers: how could it be so neglected. Oh, and that TOYOTA wrench, SO AWESOME!!!!!!
I work a 2000 BMW 540i 6 speed

pumkin toy

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
yeah that would be badass to have some tools that are actually made by toyota and say toyota on them
97 4runner Limited

Scuba

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
What yard and where is this ?
Some chant and meditate, I shift into 4Low.

Rockin a 99 Single Cab Taco, Locked lifted and armored sittin on 35" MTR Kevlars.

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,897
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

Yota87Truck [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
What yard and where is this ?
Kurts Pick a Part in Orem, UT.  It's on Geneva Rd. between center and 400 south
« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2010, 12:16:08 PM by Yota87Truck »

Jan84HJ60

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile

It's an early 62. All the 89 and 90 had electric doors and windows.
The engine on the 60 series was a 2F (4.2 liter 6, carbed), the one on the 62 a 3FE (4 liter 6, EFI). none of the 60s came with 5 speeds from the factory in the US, they all had a 4 speed manual. The 62s had the A440F 3speed autos.

depending on what the yard wants, this can be quite valuable to part out. Low mileage A440Fs are hard to come by, and they are a total pregnant dog to rebuild. The 3FE is a thirsty dog, but reliable. Many of the relays and switches will sell really well too, especially the vacuum driven 4WD valve.

The diffs will be 3.7 geared, not 4.10 as in the 60 series. The axle parts like bearings and seals are exactly the same as in a mini.
cheers,
J

85_4RNR

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Male Posts: 265
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
It's an early 62. All the 89 and 90 had electric doors and windows.
The engine on the 60 series was a 2F (4.2 liter 6, carbed), the one on the 62 a 3FE (4 liter 6, EFI). none of the 60s came with 5 speeds from the factory in the US, they all had a 4 speed manual. The 62s had the A440F 3speed autos.

depending on what the yard wants, this can be quite valuable to part out. Low mileage A440Fs are hard to come by, and they are a total pregnant dog to rebuild. The 3FE is a thirsty dog, but reliable. Many of the relays and switches will sell really well too, especially the vacuum driven 4WD valve.

The diffs will be 3.7 geared, not 4.10 as in the 60 series. The axle parts like bearings and seals are exactly the same as in a mini.
cheers,
J

I am almost 100% sure the 1985+ FJ60s had an optional 5 speed.
I work a 2000 BMW 540i 6 speed

Jan84HJ60

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
Not in the US. The H55F 5 speed was only an aftermarket option. It came on the canadian BJ60 and HJ60, and all over the world in various diesel and gasser 60s, but never in the US. If you look at the 85 and later 4 speed trannies in the 60 series, they have a spacer where the 5th gear of the H55F would be, to account for the different length in the drive shafts. the advantage of this is that one can swap in the 5 speed easily.
cheers,
J

- Sales Employee -

freds40

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 293
  • Male Posts: 2,331
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
60s has 3.73s and the 62s had 4.10s.

H55s definitely never came in the states but they are available to purchase through your local Toyota dealership for swapping in.
"between projects"

Jan84HJ60

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
60s has 3.73s and the 62s had 4.10s.

correct, I mixed that up. sorry,
j

Yota87Truck [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
pulled the steering box:

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 594
  • Male Posts: 2,122
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
forward swinging power steering box... heck yes.... I got one.... just need a truck to build around it... Ive actually got the complete fj60 MINUS a body..... anyways... dont be paying for all the small parts off it if your going to buy it all in the end?
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.

Yota87Truck [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
forward swinging power steering box... heck yes.... I got one.... just need a truck to build around it... Ive actually got the complete fj60 MINUS a body..... anyways... dont be paying for all the small parts off it if your going to buy it all in the end?

I actually asked and they will not sell any whole vehicles off their lot.  It's stupid.

I actually pulled the steering box for -Matt- from here on marlin.

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 594
  • Male Posts: 2,122
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
yeah, someone was trying to pick up mine and that was like the ONE thing that I wanted keep off my fj60..... the front axle is kinda either way....
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.