Author Topic: It ok to run 4.7 gears in a single t-case setup?  (Read 7365 times)

2manytoys

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 490
  • Male Posts: 583
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
It ok to run 4.7 gears in a single t-case setup?
« on: Dec 04, 2009, 06:00:53 PM »
I want to run a 4.7 gear set in my 23 spline t-case. My thought was to have more low range options vs the stock gears with out the added expense and complication of a dual case setup.

I usually only use 1st and 2nd gear when in low range and thought with the 4.7 gears I could have a super low in 1st and 2nd AND be able to use maybe 3rd and 4th in the trans for more range.

I was told that I will break gears if I do this and that low range gears are really made for dual case aplications. That I will not be happy with then in a single case aplication because they will be too low unless I was doing some extreme rock crawling. No good for average 4 wheeling.

Anyone running such a setup? What are your thoughts? I'm not an extreme rock crawler but would like more low range.

88 Pickup SAS'd, 3.4 V6, R151F Hybrid, Dual Ultimate, Triple sticks, 35's, 5.29's, HP front, V6 rear, Aussies, 63" Chevs, Anti Wrap Bar, Warn 8274 on Home Built Bumper

4WU linked 86 Xtra Cab build in progress

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
several of my friends run a single case with 4.7's in it and do great

you'll be fine, nothing will break, 4.7 is actually higher than dual 2.28's
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

CrazyYota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 92
  • Male Posts: 1,073
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I love my MC 4.70 gear set! I got the gear set because the stock low range was not slow enough. And I burned up my clutch with stock gears, but with the 4.70s no parking lot curb has stopped me yet!   :driving: HA HA HA!  Also I don’t need duals for my DD.
>Chuck Norris invented black. In fact, he invented the entire spectrum of visible light. Except pink. Tom Cruise invented pink.

axled89

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 296
  • Male Posts: 2,526
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
2manytoys  who ever told you that has there calculations wrong. like 79 coyotefrg said the gears are lower with dual stockers.
i love oregon wheelin.

85_4RNR

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Male Posts: 265
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
2.28 x 2.28 = 5.2:1
4.7 = 4.7:1

:blah: 
I work a 2000 BMW 540i 6 speed

2manytoys [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
My wife just bought me this gear set for x-mas and the input shaft doesn't fit. It won't quite spline into the coupler on the trans, too tight.

It was actually the tech support for the company that told me this. They are giving me a refund. I was really disappointed.
88 Pickup SAS'd, 3.4 V6, R151F Hybrid, Dual Ultimate, Triple sticks, 35's, 5.29's, HP front, V6 rear, Aussies, 63" Chevs, Anti Wrap Bar, Warn 8274 on Home Built Bumper

85_4RNR

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
Something to think about though is that your reverse will be very low too which is why I dont want 4.7s. my :twocents:

85_4RNR

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
 :psss: Did you get TGs 4.7 kit?   :nonono:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
My wife just bought me this gear set for x-mas and the input shaft doesn't fit. It won't quite spline into the coupler on the trans, too tight.

It was actually the tech support for the company that told me this. They are giving me a refund. I was really disappointed.
get your refund from Trail Gear :slap: then buy from Marlin and dont get a 23 spline since you apparently have a 21 spline transmission

what year is your truck/transmission
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

2manytoys [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
It is a 23 spline that I have. I just scored a turbo R151F and was setting it up for instal.

I have the gears  and coupler in my hand and it has 23 splines. The O.D. of the aftermarket spline area of the input shaft is .010 larger than my stock gear. It only goes in the coupler if it is driven in with a brass hammer. If I "modified it" I bet it would fit. It's close. Don't want to do that though.

I never said where it came from. Is this a common problem?

2manytoys [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
I can see why you guys buy Marlin's stuff now. I have owned a bunch of Toyota trucks but, this is the first I have modified, so I'm new to this. I will get my refund.

I don't have enough in the budget at this time for Marlin's gears. I'll keep saving and get there soon. This is what I get for trying to save a few bucks. Actually $170. Still not worth it.

Keep the replies coming. I need the advice. Heading to work so I'll check back in the morning. Thanks everybody.

fade

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -9
  • Male Posts: 1,018
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
I'm running them and their great. I have a single case with 4.7s. And I have 4.88 gears with 36" iroks. I can start off in 5th in low and climb up smallish hills. 1st and 2nd are almost useless but still functional and great for crawling up rocks and other things or car crushing. Reverse is pretty low which sucks but its simple as switching over to 4high if I need to back up for a long distance. Just watch out starting in 1st gear the first time it will rock your motor pretty good you can feel the torque of your motor for the first time.

96 horunner 3.4 elocker armored
86 mini truck 18" rays
09 highlander
70 suburban

8485runner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 107
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
I'm running a single case with MC 4.7:1, 5.29's on 36" Iroks and it works great for me!   1st is really low but great for crawling!  Reverse is really low but there is always high range!   I think you would be happy with it!
85 4runner, 36" Iroks, locked 5.29's, 30 spline Longs, MC 4.7:1 single case, bobbed 12"
96 4runner 2 1/2" daystar, 285/70/17 Pro Comp Xtreme Allterrains on black 17" FJ wheels
88 ext cab pickup bone stock, 1st gen tacoma wheels wrapped in 30x9.50x15 BFG Allterrains

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3715
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
I'm running a single case with MC 4.7:1, 5.29's on 36" Iroks and it works great for me!   1st is really low but great for crawling!  Reverse is really low but there is always high range!   I think you would be happy with it!

Ditto here, but I'm running 36" TSLs
Time to go wheelin!

2manytoys [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
I'm only running 31's right now with 4.56's. I plan on at least 33's, probably 35's when I do my SAS down the road. Not sure if I'll need 4.88's or 5.29's then.

Do you think it's still a good choice for me?

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3715
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
If you plan to go to 35s, I'd go with 5.29s. I wheeled a long time with the stock case and it just didn't seem low enough to me  :twocents:
Time to go wheelin!

2manytoys [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
OK everybody, I learned my lesson. I'M SORRY!!!!!!!! It won't happen again. I'm going to buy Marlin's 4.7's and I'm seriously considering dual cases. I have a top shift case I can use along with my forward shift case if this is doable.

So it will be my R151F to my stock 23 spline forward shift case to adapter to Marlin 23 spline 4.7's in a top shift case. Is this correct?

Will I have room for shifters with my bench seat with duals?

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Marlin once told me all that I needed for my truck was a single case 4.7. It really depends on what you do with your rig.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

bschroeder

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '09
    • View Profile
I currently also run 4.7's in my truck with the single case. I have no complaints at all. it is plenty low and also then there is no driveline work etc. :thumbs:

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
I like mine really well.  Reverve is a little slow if you're in mud or deep snow and you need a backwards launch but I've never had a problem with it on the trail.  It is less work.  Two cases are cool though.  Either will give you awsome trail gearing so just do whatever fots your budget and/or skills.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Snacktime

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 115
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
I really wanted 4.7 in a single case but doing dual cases to help the angle on the driveshaft. After watching a dual case toyota yesterday I am really pushing to find money to redo my drive shafts.
Lifted FZJ80 on 34.24534752" Tires...

mjos

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
I ran the single 4.7's for a while.  They were not low enough for me, I still was having to slip the clutch too much.  I added a 23spl doubler and a second 2.28 reduction unit.  It's night and day better with all the ranges to select from now.  Low - low is awesome for the uber technical sections.  The Twin stick is awesome too.  You can disengage the front driveline to turn sharp and still stay in the crawl ratio you were in for the rears.  I wouldn't have it any other way now.
05' 4R V8 Sport, Toytec Ultimate 3", 33's, Sliders

YeloSub7

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 74
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I was in the same dilemma. I want duals of course, but money is tight. Everyone keeps telling me 4.7 is too low for some situations and that I will miss my 2.28. But I am gonna buy 4.7 for single case after reading this. That way when I get the mula down the road its an easier upgrade if I want. 2.28 alone is just not low enough for me... thanks guys!
90' 4Runner - SAS - locked - geared - armored - duals - 35's

sparkys83yota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Male Posts: 320
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
I got the dual ultimate set up. I rarely use both cases. For me, I find the 4.7 to be perfect. With the 2.28 I was having to use way to much clutch. I like having the ability to go much slower. I actually think it is safer.
83 shorbed pickup. 22 re swap. Dual ultimates, l52hd tranny, 5 " marlin trailflex lift. Yukon 529. Grizzly in rear zip locker front. And a bunch of other stuff....

2manytoys [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
Just an update. I like the 4.7's. The stock gears just weren't doing it for me.

Since I put a forward shift trans in, I'm going to combine shift rails and shifters from my forward shift setup and my topshift case to make a twin stick setup.

Here is my modified shifter boots/cover plate. You can see I have the room to do it.

2manytoys [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
I have to put a clutch in soon. I'll do it then. Here is another pic.

dtrujillo63

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
I run a single 4.7 and it does great.

chunkybutfunky934

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
I have to put a clutch in soon. I'll do it then. Here is another pic.

hey do you have any more pictures?

dweinberg01

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 122
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
Sorry for the thread hi-hack, but I want to run a the 4.7 setup behind my auto trans. I know I will need the inchworm adapter to make it work.  Will I also need a longer input shaft? I want to do this for two reasons: 1) lower gearing and 2) I can make my front driveshaft longer with more slip( I posted earlier about problems with my driveshaft coming apart).

How much length will this add to my tranny/t-case combo and how difficult is the switch?

(Back on topic)

2manytoys [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
I have a 1600# Marlin clutch on the way. All I need is another shifter boot and I can do my cheepie twin stick combining my forward shift and top shift shift rails.

My kids 91 has a forward shift W56 with the combined trans/t-case shifter base. I can use the other shift rail I have left to make his a twin stick too. Who ever came up with this idea is pretty crafty.

Chunkybutfunky, what pics do you need? I have a few more. Mainly my W56B along side my R151F and some different views showing the shifter positions in the truck before and after my trans swap.