Author Topic: My craigslist W56 may actually be a R151F, Need help with the swap.  (Read 9960 times)

2manytoys

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 490
  • Male Posts: 583
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
Newbie here. My W56 has 404K on it and is leaking and starting to make noise. I bought what I was told to be a W56 out of an 88 4Runner to get me by until I rebuilt mine.

I think it's a R151F. The bellhousing has RX22R cast in it and has about a 2" hole in the bottom. It's a forward shift just like my W56. I separated the transfer case and it has a 23 spline shaft. It looks like pictures I have seen on this site too.

I have searched old posts which helped me identify the trans but I have some other questions. It looks like it will bolt right in but, will my clutch work? I found conflicting info in old posts. I have a billet flywheel and Centerforce clutch and would like to keep them.

The biggest problem I may have is that I don't have the shifter caps. I have the trans shift lever only. I don't think the W56 parts will work but, what about the transfer case top cap and shifter? They are both forward shift gear drive units.

Anything else I need to do to get it in my 88 pickup? Switches, wiring, drive line? I look forward to all your expert advice.
88 Pickup SAS'd, 3.4 V6, R151F Hybrid, Dual Ultimate, Triple sticks, 35's, 5.29's, HP front, V6 rear, Aussies, 63" Chevs, Anti Wrap Bar, Warn 8274 on Home Built Bumper

4WU linked 86 Xtra Cab build in progress

HDcruiser

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 10
  • Male Posts: 580
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
I would call Marlin, the guy is a genis. I have called him in the past years for odd ball questions and has allways come through for me. It sounds like a R151 by your discription. Im pretty sure that the clutch should be no difference with a W56.

Pat

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 786
  • Male Posts: 944
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Oroville, Ca
    • View Profile
if it has the hole in the bottom of the bellhousing and it is 23 spline..  it is a turbo tranny..  No need to call marlin :beer:

your clutch will work just fine...  I have this combo in my runner..  cut a small amount of sheet metal for the tranny shifter to fit..  You can go twin stick if you want..  now is the time to do so.. :beerchug:

Are you needing the whole base and shifter or just the shifter itself..  If so I might have a shifter for you..  no base though

Marlin Would be the folks to call if you can't find them..  If not let me know I will buy the tranny from you if you want to go back to a w-56
« Last Edit: Nov 23, 2009, 03:13:28 PM by Pat »
Sharing time between Northern Ca and Western Tn..

EarlKann

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 160
  • Male Posts: 787
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
Just wondering here, but does the R150 have the same hole in the bell housing?   Cause if the trans really came out of a 4runner it seems more likely that it was a V6 & R150 since every turbo 4runner I've seen has been an automatic. 

I would look around for a serial number and give the guys a Marlin a call to see if you can figure out exactly what you have.  Or if you have a 22R, RE available, check to see it the bell housing matches up with the engine.

2manytoys [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
Thanks for all the info everybody. The vehicle has been parted out and long gone. I was told it came out of a 88 4Runner with a 5 speed and 22RE. Trans must have been swapped in or who knows what. Obviously, not the original.

From what I have seen in other posts, the RX22R cast in the bell housing is supposed to be for the 4cyl. I'll have to double check though.

Pat, I have the shift lever but, no base. Thanks for the offer though.

What about the transfer case base and shifter, will mine swap over? They are both forward shift gear drive units. If so, all I need is a trans shifter base.
88 Pickup SAS'd, 3.4 V6, R151F Hybrid, Dual Ultimate, Triple sticks, 35's, 5.29's, HP front, V6 rear, Aussies, 63" Chevs, Anti Wrap Bar, Warn 8274 on Home Built Bumper

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
EarlKann is correct, all turbo 4Runners are autos.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -130
  • Male Posts: 2,046
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
EarlKann is correct, all turbo 4Runners are autos.
x2
2008 TRD 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma
1994 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 single cab dodge 2500
1986 22re 5speed 3link 4runner (the beater)
1982 3rz swapped pickup (in progress)

Pat

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Oroville, Ca
    • View Profile
 all "stock" turbo runners did indeed have autos but stock is the key word. And who said the runner he got it out of was a turbo? My first 84 pickup 15 years ago had a turbo tranny in it too but some how they have a habit of getting in other rigs :hammerhead:.

Back to the 5 speeds, yes only the turbo trannies have the whole in the bellhousing.. He's got a turbo tranny unless it has a chain case
« Last Edit: Nov 23, 2009, 06:22:57 PM by Pat »

Pat

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Oroville, Ca
    • View Profile
Thanks for all the info everybody. The vehicle has been parted out and long gone. I was told it came out of a 88 4Runner with a 5 speed and 22RE. Trans must have been swapped in or who knows what. Obviously, not the original.

From what I have seen in other posts, the RX22R cast in the bell housing is supposed to be for the 4cyl. I'll have to double check though.

Pat, I have the shift lever but, no base. Thanks for the offer though.

What about the transfer case base and shifter, will mine swap over? They are both forward shift gear drive units. If so, all I need is a trans shifter base.

pull them off and check :beer::  I have a base but It would take some real$ convincing to get it from me..  Saving it incase I ever go back from a twin stick..  Really though you should be able to find one pretty easy..  the early ones are all the same .. Not sure on the later forward shifts

Pat

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Oroville, Ca
    • View Profile
another thing..  What year is your runner?  

Pat

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Oroville, Ca
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: Nov 23, 2009, 06:26:06 PM by Pat »

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park

the tcase shifters are the same, i'm 99% sure of this

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
i'd be willing to bet the R150 shifter base might be the same as the R151
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Pat

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Oroville, Ca
    • View Profile
i'd be willing to bet the R150 shifter base might be the same as the R151

all early r150's are top shift so I bet not..

Marlins tranny chart to confirm
http://www.marlincrawler.com/tech/transmission/transmission-gear-ratio-chart

And here is a pic of a r150 out in my yard to confirm

Pat

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Oroville, Ca
    • View Profile
the tcase shifters are the same, i'm 99% sure of this

shifter yes other than bend of shifter, but base is another story..  I think the later forward shift(w-56 d&e's) trannies have a base that is both the tranny ans tecase base all in one

« Last Edit: Nov 23, 2009, 07:12:51 PM by Pat »

2manytoys [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
The wife is getting me a set of 4.7 gears for x-mas. I hope I get this sorted out soon so I can tell her either 21 or 23 spline. I've learned so much already just from this site alone. You guys are great! Thanks for sharing all your experience.

2manytoys [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
Sorry, I did that wrong.

Pat

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Oroville, Ca
    • View Profile
how did you edit my post??????????

Pat

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Oroville, Ca
    • View Profile
here are pics of my r151f  AKA turbo tranny..

2manytoys [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
Sorry Pat, I'm not very computer savy. I'm old.

That is what my trans looks like. The steel or iron section is black. My W56B is gold and has plugs on the left side.

Is the red sealer factory? The turbo trans I think I have has red sealer there too. I thought it was because someone had been into it.

Pat

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Oroville, Ca
    • View Profile
no problem..  I just never have seen where you can edit someone else's post :hammer:

And toyota sure does like the red huh..  Great score on the turbo tranny :beerchug:

2manytoys [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
Anybody got a shifter base they don't need?

2manytoys [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
With all your help and a call to Marlin, I think I got this figured out.

I did get real lucky, it is a R151F. Not sure what it looks like inside yet. Got my fingers crossed.

I can use my 21 spline t-case shifter and base but not my W56B shifter or base.

I can use my existing clutch and flywheel. The turbo is different but I'm told mine will work.

The output flanges have a different bolt pattern for the drive shafts. I can either swap mine over from my 21 spline case or get the multi bolt pattern type.

Still not sure about any switches or wiring. Probably not a big deal.

Thanks for the help!  All I need is a turb trans shifter base.

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 856
  • Member since Sep '02
  • MC³ = 1,148:1
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
The V6 R150 ('88 and newer 3.0 and 3.4) bases will work just fine on a R151F. They feature an added vent for internal pressure. You just need to turn the base 180 degrees from the stock V6 location before installing it so the left and right trans handle pivot pins that are are riveted in the base, are directly in line with the shifter detents that are bolted on the left and right side of the trans, directly under the shifter base pad. Also needed is the metal oil Salinger (very important), and 4-8x1.25 mm bolts, 30mm long. However, you can use 4 of the 6 bolts on your W56 base as well. They are in fact the same bolt. You will also need the V6 shifter as well...

Backup light switch will bolt right in

Marlin
1980 Toyota - 1997 3RZ-FE 2.7l Engine, Turbo R151F 4.31:1, Triple Turbo Marlin Crawler Billet (2.28x4.70x4.70) = 1,148:1 Crawl Ratio, Marlin Crawler Twin Stick and Short Throw Shift Kits, 30mm H/D Output Shaft, High Angle Drive Lines, 5.29:1, ARBs, High Pinion Front, 25mm HD Billet High Steer Kit, 6 Pin Locking Hub Bodies, 86+ Wide Rear End, V6 3rd member, Chromolly Axles all around, 37" IROKs with Beadlocks, York onboard air - Rollbar air tank, Premier Power Welder, Marlin Crawler 4" USA-made Leaf Springs, Bilstein Shocks, et cetera....

Pat

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Oroville, Ca
    • View Profile
Hi Marlin, I was looking at your truck at MCR8 and saw you had what looked like a PTO output on your first reduction box..  Tell me all about it.. Do you have the external bolt on drive for it too?  Any plans on using it for anything?  Really cool..  I have heard they came from japanese Firetrucks. Is that correct?  thanks for the info..  Pat

2manytoys [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
Thanks Marlin! I'll start scrounging for those parts and get moving on my project.

Pat, thanks for all your help too.

Hopefully, I can get the trans freshened up, the 4.7 gears in, and all installed before my W56B goes away.

zidaro

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 480
  • Male Posts: 527
  • Member since Oct '02
  • Mo Chi Chu!
    • View Profile
nice score!!!  I have 2 r151's that marlin has rebuilt and dual ultimated- I LOVE them
'87runner.
'10 Crewmax
'05 CRF450x

http://www.4wheelunderground.com/
TONIK- Mammoth Lakes