Author Topic: 3RZ swap throwout/release bearing ?  (Read 4561 times)

bluetoy84

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -100
  • Male Posts: 300
  • Member since Jun '04
  • rice bouncer
    • View Profile
3RZ swap throwout/release bearing ?
« on: Oct 28, 2009, 07:49:46 AM »
Which throwout/release bearing is everyone using on the 3RZ swaps. I'm in the the process of swapping a 3rz in my '84 (G52 tranny) and noticed a few differences in the release bearings. The collar on the 3RZ release bearing seems too loose on the G52 pilot (it's .020" bigger I.D.) so I used the release bearing for the early W and G series tranny when I mocked the motor in place. When I bolted up the W59 slave to test fit everything, it is almost maxed out on travel about the same time the bearing contacts the pressure plate. There's no travel left in the slave to disengage the clutch.

I noticed that the 3RZ release bearing is slightly longer, so this might take up some of the slack, but I was concerned about the sloppy fit on the tranny. Also, I used the W59 clutch fork, but the G52 fork looked identical so that shouldn't matter. Clutch kit is a brand new Aisin kit for a '99 tacoma 3RZ.

I've got the motor back out to finish up the engine bay and I want to be sure I get it right before I bolt it all back up for final installation.

Thanks for any advice.  :thumbs:
TOYOTA FOUR WHEEL DRIVE..............need I say more?

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Re: 3RZ swap throwout/release bearing ?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 28, 2009, 09:12:58 AM »
I'd swap to a W56-A Transmission.
The G-Series seem to be a PITA with anything
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

bluetoy84 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '04
  • rice bouncer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 2009, 10:10:34 AM »
I don't think swapping to a w56 would solve anything. My G52 is in good condition and will be strong enough for a DD. The problem I'm having is nothing related to the G52 in specific.  The W56-A uses the same release bearing,clutch fork, and bellhousing as the G52/54. The pilot that the release bearing rides on is the same diameter on the G52 and W56 series. If I swapped in a W56-A I would still have the same issue.  The I.D. of the W59 release bearing that rides on the tranny pilot is .020" bigger than the older models. The W59 bearing is a little longer from the part that contacts the fork to the end of the bearing. This should make the slave have enough travel to release the clutch. Whereas the older model bearing is shorter and the slave is running out of travel at the same time the bearing contacts the pressure plate.

My question is, is everyone using the W59 release bearing even though it's a sloppy fit on the tranny? Does it even matter? Has anyone else noticed this? Just want to be sure before I bolt the motor back up. 
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2009, 10:21:46 AM by bluetoy84 »

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2009, 10:14:37 AM »
dude, that G52 is gonna last about a minute the first time you go full throttle

get a w56 and use the w59 bell housing, and clutch parts
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 1,876
  • Member since Feb '07
  • F***in catalina wine mixer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 28, 2009, 10:51:59 AM »
so you have tryed the bearing that made for your tranny rhight? i swaped a 2rz using the marlin bellhousing and my r150 tranny. i used all of my 3.0 parts on the tranny with a 3rz clutch and a 3rz slave and all works fine
1973 HILUX build up-------> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.new#new

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

bluetoy84 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '04
  • rice bouncer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 28, 2009, 10:58:43 AM »
If the G52 blows up I'll swap in something stronger, but it still has nothing to do with the release bearing issue.

I have the W59 bellhousing and a brand new Aisin clutch kit for the W59. How would swapping to a W56 be any different than my G52 ?

The bearing that fits the G52 is too short and the slave don't have enough travel to release the clutch. I'm wondering if I could make the pivot ball longer or make a spacer to go between the release bearing and the hub that it presses onto to make it the same length as the W59 bearing.

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 1,876
  • Member since Feb '07
  • F***in catalina wine mixer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 28, 2009, 11:04:03 AM »
is the w56 the tranny that came in the tacos? i know i tryed the 3.0 slave and it bolted up but it didnt have enough throw, so i pulled one off a 3rz in the junk yard
1973 HILUX build up-------> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.new#new

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

bluetoy84 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '04
  • rice bouncer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 28, 2009, 11:25:10 AM »
W59 is the taco tranny. I have the correct slave cylinder for the '99 tacoma 4cyl. The slave cylinder itself has plenty of travel, it's just bottoming out before the bearing hits the pressure plate.

Anybody running a w56-A? What bearing did you use? This should be the same as my setup.

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 28, 2009, 02:25:33 PM »
I have a W56A mated to my 3rz swap in my '85 and have problems with the clutch disengaging.  I used a new throughout bearing and pilot bearing.  The throughout bearing is from a 3rd gen 22re with a w series trans if I remember correct.  I am using the pivot arm that came with the W56A .  I thought I had a internally leaking clutch master cylinder so I replaced the master and slave with new ones for a 3rz, properly bench blead it first and installed it and the clutch still doesn't want to fully release. 

I'm thinking of just taking the piston pin thingy out of the slave cylinder on the old slave and machining it down a little to see if that corrects the issue.  I really don't want to have to drop the trans again to tackle this problem.  Does anyone see anything wrong with this logic?
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

bluetoy84 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '04
  • rice bouncer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 28, 2009, 02:59:16 PM »
Sounds like you've got the same problem. I'm glad I caught it on mine beforehand though. In your case it might be easier to make a longer pushrod for the slave cylinder instead of machining down the piston .

I'm gonna look into a way to use the early model bearing tonight. I'll try to get some measurements and pics of what I come up with.

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 35
  • Male Posts: 1,968
  • Member since Oct '07
  • BORN TO WHEEL, FORCED TO WORK...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 28, 2009, 03:27:23 PM »
I dont believe you can use the G52 trans with the 3rz? I dont think the w59 BH will fin on that trans therefore it will not mate up to the 3rz.... unless I am wrong your going to have to use the W56 w/W59 BH
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com
www.myspace.com/choptechfab

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39494.0

bluetoy84 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '04
  • rice bouncer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 28, 2009, 09:12:19 PM »
The W59 bellhousing bolts up to the G52/54 just fine. They have the same bolt pattern as a W56/59. I've already had the 3RZ in the truck and bolted up once. This is how I noticed the slave didn't have enough travel.

Anyways, I got out there tonight with some calipers and done some measuring.

The O.D. of the shaft that the throwout bearing rides on is the same diameter on a W56,W59,and G52. I didn't bother to check the R150, but I would imagine it is the same as well.
The early style W/G series bearing (two piece style with cast hub) has the same measurements as the later style W56 bearing. (stamped one piece style). I.D. and length are the same. These should interchange without any problems.

The W59 bearing I have has a .020" bigger I.D. than both the early and late style. It is also about .145" longer than the 22RE bearings from where it contacts the fork to the face of the bearing.

I could probably use the W59 throwout bearing on my 3RZ swap and never have an issue. However I personally don't like it being that sloppy on the tranny.

I bolted up a bellhousing and slave behind my engine hanging from a cherry picker so I could try different options. The easiest solution I came up with to use the older style bearing was to add a couple washers behind the pivot ball on the bellhousing. I added two washers with a combined thickness of .180" behind the pivot ball and now the slave has almost the full stroke of travel. This should work just fine.

I took a bunch of pics of the different bearings. I'll post them up whenever I get them loaded.

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 28, 2009, 09:49:38 PM »
I think I will try to make some C shape shims out of washers and try to slide those in behind the pivot ball on mine.  It sounds a little easier than machining a pushrod for the slave cylinder.
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #13 on: Oct 28, 2009, 10:04:06 PM »
bluetoy84

how sloppy is sloppy
fi the W56 G52 G54 are all the same diameter shafts, then you just answered your own question. toss on the W59 and be done. If my memory serves me correctly its supposed to be a little sloppy. Im not there to see it for myself but it may just be that its supposed to be that way.
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html