Author Topic: 22RE/W56 Release bearing  (Read 1601 times)

Hungary Bill

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jul '21
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
22RE/W56 Release bearing
« on: Jul 04, 2021, 10:25:34 PM »
Morning everyone.  I've got a quick question about the throwout bearing that came with my Aisin clutch kit (Aisin clutch currently installed) on my 1988 4-Runner and was hoping y'all could help me out.  Here's what I've got:

I originally figured the bearing supplied with the kit would just need to be pressed on to the carrier, but when I got the whole assembly out of the truck nothing seemed to match up...  The part that spins on the throwout bearing is much smaller than the kit supplied bearing, and for the life of me I cant figure out where I should press, or IF I should bother and instead just reinstall the old throwout with the new clutch.

When the manual was referenced, nothing seemed to match up there either:

There were no clips for me to remove (Aside from one wire clip that held the throwout assembly on the clutch fork), and so on.

A few quick side notes:  Searching led me to a few threads that culminated in "just take it to a shop, they'll swap it super cheap".  Unfortunately that's not an option I think I can pursue here.  The shops here would be more familiar with Russian Ladas, or German Trabants, and things get expensive quick should they break something on my Toyota (and shipping takes forever).  Purchasing a new complete bearing assembly, while a possibility, would double or triple in price before it got here (see screen name for details) so I was hoping to avoid that as well.   All fun stuff  ;)

Thanks everyone. 
« Last Edit: Jul 05, 2021, 01:46:33 AM by Hungary Bill »

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: 22RE/W56 Release bearing
« Reply #1 on: Jul 05, 2021, 05:17:16 AM »
As far as I know, nothing needs to be "pressed" on.

The bearing simply slides onto the carrier (clutch release bearing hub), and the metal clips hold it on the clutch fork.

If the bearing is not coming off the carrier, you will need to soak it in some solvent to break it loose.

Make sure the new bearing slides very easily over the shaft housing were it rides.

I would NOT recommend reinstalling the old throw out bearing!  Other than pulling an engine, dropping a tranny is my most dreaded maintenance job!

Let us know how your R&R turns out.

Gnarls. :usa:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Hungary Bill [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jul '21
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: 22RE/W56 Release bearing
« Reply #2 on: Jul 05, 2021, 11:00:21 PM »
Yeah, I'll admit to getting a bit old to be pushing transmissions into place (especially at 4wd heights).  I'll soak the bearing and see if things break free.

Thanks!

-Bill