Author Topic: Lockers  (Read 6897 times)

b0x

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 110
  • Member since Aug '09
  • 187k miles & counting
    • View Profile
Lockers
« on: Sep 03, 2009, 01:57:36 PM »
Been reading about the different lockers to install. With so much sales info, I wanted some "put to use" info. Any comment would be appreciated. Thanks
Vehicle:
95 4Runners
V6
Diff's stock, Independent suspension.
4 inch Pro Comp lift
With the above info which would be a good starting point for some lockers? Soon to be added will be MC shafts and MC Transfer case. Would it be best to do the later then the lockers? Granted the lockers should be work with the other upgrades.

b0x
New Mexico wheeling

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
Re: Lockers
« Reply #1 on: Sep 03, 2009, 02:25:22 PM »
do u daily drive it?
what kind of wheeling do u do?
what kind of wheeling would u like to do with lockers?
what is your budget?

b0x [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '09
  • 187k miles & counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 04, 2009, 08:21:13 AM »
do u daily drive it? No, Summer and Winter family outings. This has become a toy for me.
what kind of wheeling do u do? Southern Rockies, camping, and trial driving.
what kind of wheeling would u like to do with lockers? No difference in the terrain, only looking to build a stronger climber, using ifs. Just want a built truck for those needed times.
what is your budget? No budget, just looking to enjoy my Toyota while climbing and camping.
New Mexico wheeling

boggerunner

• Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 04, 2009, 11:37:09 AM »
go with a spool in the rear and an arb or e-locker up front.

b0x [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '09
  • 187k miles & counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 04, 2009, 04:51:53 PM »
Thanks for the reply's. SO I know what a locker does. What is a Spool , e-locker? Whats the benefits to having them? Why would I go different items? In this case Spool in the rear, e-locker in the front?

b0x
New Mexico wheeling

whokrz

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 246
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
    • gentryoffroad.com
« Reply #5 on: Sep 04, 2009, 05:26:59 PM »
A spool permanently locks the the differential meaning that both tires will turn at the same rate always. A spool on the street is not much fun to drive. It chirps the rear wheels going around corners and increases your turning radius.
A selectable locker in the front will allow you to make turns easier while driving. If you had a spool front and rear the vehicle would want to go in a straight line even with the wheels turned because all four wheels would be moving at the same rate. I am not saying you couldn't turn, it would just be harder.

Because you still plan to drive your 4runner on the street I would recommend a e-locker or arb in the rear. This way it will drive to the mountains / family outings just like it does now and when you get to the trail you can turn it on and it will act like a spool. The selectable locker is the best of both worlds but they are expensive.
The cheaper alternative that is nicer on the street than a spool is a automatic locker. They are a far cry from a open differential on the street, here is a link to a review that I wrote on a lock-rite http://www.gentryoffroad.com/php/generalinformation/productreview/lockrite/ it will give you an idea how they drive.

I would hold off on putting a locker in the front because by the time you will really need one you will probably want a sas as well. The ifs front differential is a 7.5" and the differential in the solid axle is a 8". You will not be able to put the ifs differential into the solid axle, because of the cost this is something that most people only want to do once.

Another way to gain a lot of traction is to let some air out of your tires. It also smooths out the ride.

1990 4runner, 22re, R151, 4.7, 5.29s, E-locker front, Lock-Rite rear, 37" MTRs, 51" rears all around
Trail Reviews http://www.gentryoffroad.com
Toyota Factory Service Manuals http://ncttora.com/fsm/index.html

b0x [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '09
  • 187k miles & counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 06, 2009, 11:27:24 AM »
Good info. Thanks for the help.
New Mexico wheeling

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 06, 2009, 11:33:12 AM »
I have a 92 v6 truck. I have a quick lock in the rear, its held up for 8 years now I think.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

tlake

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Oct '03
  • I Love My Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2009, 06:53:59 PM »
I will never again put a LocRite type locker in the front

yoshaleng

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 134
  • Male Posts: 1,258
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2010, 09:03:55 PM »
if you have no budget...go with full detroit lockers....cost about 1200.00 for both lockers.
that's what i'm running now. i get no crazy popping noise and no rediculous tire wear. they work fanstastic!
if i had to, id' buy them again. :biggthumpup:

joeycool00

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -10
  • Male Posts: 315
  • Member since Mar '10
  • 3rd f.a.s.t yes i'm a Jar Head!and proud of it
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 16, 2010, 08:35:40 PM »
my lock right in the front ended up rounding the square tabs and popped like a moe foe every time i wheeled, ended up welding it shut! ;)
life is hard, but it is harder if your stupid!
Love wheeling in  central washington state, wouldn't have it any other way!

Phazertwo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 812
  • Member since Aug '05
  • So many yoda's, so little time!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 20, 2010, 11:27:34 AM »
my lock right in the front ended up rounding the square tabs and popped like a moe foe every time i wheeled, ended up welding it shut! ;)

I had the same problem happen with a "quick lock" in my old Jeep. However the Lock right that was in my truck has held up to WAY more abuse, and for far longer.  KDC also had one in his truck for a long time, and its moved onto its second owner (phantomd) who just wheeled Moab, with no issues.  IMO lock right or aussie locker is the way to go for a budget locker.

PZ

(not trying to push my junk, but I have a lock right for sale if you are interested in going that route)
92 xtra cab, with some stuff...

...why buy when you can build?

KDC

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 153
  • Male Posts: 180
  • Member since May '05
  • Axle Breaking Goodness
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 21, 2010, 09:28:08 PM »
I had the same problem happen with a "quick lock" in my old Jeep. However the Lock right that was in my truck has held up to WAY more abuse, and for far longer.  KDC also had one in his truck for a long time, and its moved onto its second owner (phantomd) who just wheeled Moab, with no issues.  IMO lock right or aussie locker is the way to go for a budget locker.

PZ

(not trying to push my junk, but I have a lock right for sale if you are interested in going that route)

And when I buy my next locker in a couple months, it will be a lockright, again.  Always worked great for me.  And I second whokrz on holding off on a locker for the front diff until doing an sas. 

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Turtle Points: 71
  • Male Posts: 3,362
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #13 on: Sep 22, 2010, 08:51:16 AM »
tire size?  if your keeping it 37 or smaller, to keep in on the cheap, i would go with aussie lockers front and rear.  the v6 rear is a 4 pinion so it is a lot stronger than the 4cyl. if you have the money to spend, i would go arb's front and rear.  one thing you want to keep in mind with a detroit is if you break a birf, rear axle, shear wheel studs, or anything else that lets the axle "unload" suddenly, you take a really good chance of grenading the detroit.  "lunch box" lockers, arb's, and e lockers hold up good.  detroits are great if you have good axles.  just my   :twocents:.  i'm currently running 37's with a spooled rear and aussie up front.  not to fond of the tire wear that comes along with a spool, but the predictability is great.
ABD Motorsports

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
Placer County Crawlers - President 2011-2016
www.placercountycrawlers.com

Rubicon Trail Foundation - Property Committee member
Friends of Fordyce - Board Member
KK6QDW

lochsahunter

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 27
  • Member since Jun '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2011, 10:56:37 PM »
"Another way to gain a lot of traction is to let some air out of your tires. It also smooths out the ride." like superyota says. there are still ways to enjoy the mountains. i have an arb in the rear other wise stock 94 yota pickup. i can go do snow wheelin trips in the winter and hit the mtns for summer fun and huntn trips while still obviously driving to school everyday (30 min drive to my high school). letting air out of the tires and the selectable locker like arb or automatic e-locker, will take your ifs rig anywhere it sounds like you will likely be going. i know it works great for me.  :biggthumpup:
not all those wandering are lost

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 04, 2012, 07:23:23 PM »
Since you are still IFS you do not have the option of the electric locker (E-Locker) in the front. What I would do is to put an ARB in the rear and leave the front alone for now. See how that works for you.

What size tires are you running, going to run?

Have you regeared your diffs for bigger tires?

Stock transfer case or a Marlin setup (the only one besides InchWorm to buy IMO)?
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity