Author Topic: IMPORTANT info regarding MCRD. Please read to avoid tickets and trail trouble.  (Read 12584 times)

Yota Up

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
Ladies and Gentlemen, now more than ever there is a magnifying glass on our beloved trail.
The "antis" are out to get us, law enforcement is in full effect, and to ensure a safe and pleasant vacation without reprecussions I decided to make this post.

As our efforts double to save the trail, the antis efforts triple to shut us down.  We need to be responsible and do things 100% perfect, more than ever.  Don't be surprised to find out later that a tree-hugger was in the bushes taking pictures of you driving with a beer in your hand.  Don't be surprised if any of your videos are taken out of context and distributed to the masses and brought before the governing bodies that hold authority over the trail.  The sluice box is under threat of being blown up.

The top issues I'd like to address are as follows:

*  Oil spills.  Do NOT come to the trail with an existing leak.  I've seen Jeeps pull up with many quarts of tranny fluid thinking that's the answer.  It's not.  For every quart you put in to refill, that's another quart on the trail.  If your truck is not built to handle the sluice box, don't push it.  If you do bust up, get on it right away.  Spill kits are available at the kiosk, or if you see my at the sluice, I should have some on hand.  I'm more than happy to help clean it up with you, and if you happen to be one of those that's got attitude and doesn't want to, no problem, I'll do it for you.

*  Human waste.  We pack it out.  Yes, your poop.  Wag bags are available and I'll have more on hand for you at the box.  LADIES - I know you use TP when you go pee, please don't leave it in the bushes.  Anytime we find TP without poop, it's a girl that went #1(put the tp in a bag and bring back with you, please).  The best solution is a cheap bucket and bag to go into.  When it's time to roll, you pack it up and seal it and you're good to go.  The eyes are on us, let's not fail.

*  Drinking.  I love a good 33 degree beer as much as the next guy.  Let's save it for a stop or camp.  The worst thing is drunk driving that results in injury.  The second worst thing is a driver holding the steering wheel with one hand a beer in the other.  A picture like that on the internet is a nail in our coffin.  Get my drift?  The law says it's ok to stop for a picnic and have a beer, but it's not ok for an open container within the vehicle.

*  Law enforcement.  Gotta be legal, 100% legit.  Expect tickets if you are not.  If you are not stickered for dual use, then street laws apply.  This means valid registration and insurance.  Mudflaps are required.  Front plates are required.  Nobody riding in the back of the truck unless they're willing to take a ticket(due to lack of seatbelts - WEAR YOUR BELT!).  I'm trying to save you money, time, and heartache.  Enforcement has been strict, and some feel it's overboard - but technically it's "by the book" so we can't complain.

*  Smoking.  Fire restrictions are in place and if you flick a cigarette, you're going down.  Put it out and put the butt in your pocket or a trash bag.  Just like last year, I'll be picking up butts at the box, and any of you that would like to help me like you did last year are much appreciated.  For you "420" people - if you're legal then please keep it private.  In a tent or off in the woods.  Not in everyone's face or where kids can smell it or someone can take a picture of you with a bong in your face.  ;)

I'm not trying to bring a damper on anything or disspell your vision of "Free America", but a little prep and some common sense will go a long way to ensure we all have fun while remaining within the law and within the boundries that allow us to continue to fight for our cause in the political way.

As a member of FOTR and supporter of RTF, I encourage you to self-police and apply peer pressure to your friends.  I hate violence and don't advocate stepping up, but simply making a suggestion of correction should not be a big deal.

Let's all have a great time, and do it in a way that will safeguard the use of this trail for our children in the future.

If there's anything I can personally do to help, feel free to talk to me.  I'm on pirate4x4 all the time, in the Rubicon forum.  I'll be on the trail wearing a huckleberry fin straw hat, with a Marine Corps backpack and a medical kit pack on my back.  I'm a skinny fella surrounded by big guys.  I'm open for conversation and always willing to lend a hand to anyone, anytime, for anything.

Thank you for your attention and I hope you all have a great time out there in a safe and responsible fashion.
« Last Edit: Sep 02, 2009, 11:53:32 AM by Yota Up »

Yota Up [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
PS:  I think it goes without saying to pick up any and all litter you come across.  This is wheeling 101 and everyone knows it so I didn't mention it in the prior post.

Mr.Marlincrawler himself - I look forward to seeing you again.  My mother will whip up some authentic traditional pierogi, question is - do you like the cheese or sourkrat ones?  ;)
(thank you again for letting me borrow your truck to get lunch while you worked on my rig, sir)

Blingn

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 155
  • Male Posts: 2,356
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
green sticker questions? what laws do we have to watch?  we have no plates, some have no windshields, some of us have no lights.  Are we going to receive fix it tickets?

Blingn

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
one more point the us forest service and the sheriff's should be treated with respect.  I am not saying to bend over and take it in the :moon: if you get the one leo that is picking on wheelers, I am saying they are there to make sure certain individuals that are bad apples are patrolled and dealt with.  Those people that follow simple drinking and driving rules and staying on the trail I have not seen any problems with them.  Actually the usfs and leo's have been friendly and helpful. 

cruzila

• Go go cruzila!
  • Hawk
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,848
  • Member since May '02
  • MC20/21 Toybox #002 2.28 = 154:1
    • View Profile
    • MTA
green sticker questions? what laws do we have to watch?  we have no plates, some have no windshields, some of us have no lights.  Are we going to receive fix it tickets?

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vctoc.htm

Division 16.5

You need plates or a green sticker.

You need a red rear facing and a white front facing at night.

On the trail you should be fine, getting there you need to be legal, just like everybody else.
If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

Friends of Eldorado National Forest

Yota Up [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
green sticker questions? what laws do we have to watch?  we have no plates, some have no windshields, some of us have no lights.  Are we going to receive fix it tickets?
Green sticker you're good to go, no worries.  However, if you park the tow rig at the Chalet and drive the street, be street legit.

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Good info and thank you for posting this! :beerchug: <<< Rootbeer if we're driving :gap:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

Valley Auto

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
Green sticker you're good to go, no worries.  However, if you park the tow rig at the Chalet and drive the street, be street legit.

I thought we were okay from the chalet to the trail as it was an easment??of some sort. but only trail head to chalet no further???

Dingman.

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
Good info! 

(posting so i can find this thread later)

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 35
  • Male Posts: 1,968
  • Member since Oct '07
  • BORN TO WHEEL, FORCED TO WORK...
    • View Profile
good info thanks for posting that!
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com
www.myspace.com/choptechfab

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39494.0

Yota Up [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
    I thought we were okay from the chalet to the trail as it was an easment??of some sort. but only trail head to chalet no further???
Since you have interaction with regular street cars for that stretch, full street laws are in effect.  Despite the fact you can ride a quad or dirt bike for that section - play it safe and have the flaps on.  The LEO I spoke with yesterday specifically told me that when your tires hit the pavement at the trailhead, you should put the flaps on and screw the front plate on if it was torn off on the trail.  This last part(about the plate) is in slight contrast with a recent report that the law wants to see the tag on the vehicle even on the trail.  No big deal, for all the fab work we do - putting on a front plate is nothing.

We are still awaiting final confirmation on the potential requirement of mud flaps ON the trail.  Seems unlikely but the possiblity may be there.  As I said earlier, my approach is to remove the flaps when I hit the trail but keep them on hand.  If you're stopped you're more likely to dodge trouble if you at least have them with you.

Valley Auto

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
Well guess im unloading at the trail head and taking the tow rig back to the chalet cuase yea...

Yota Up [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
Well guess im unloading at the trail head and taking the tow rig back to the chalet cuase yea...
Either that or take your chances with a fix-it ticket.  I believe the procession fee nowadays is at $25.
If you're doing this when my crew is unloading on Thursday, I'd be happy to give you a ride back to the spillway.

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Either that or take your chances with a fix-it ticket.  I believe the procession fee nowadays is at $25.
If you're doing this when my crew is unloading on Thursday, I'd be happy to give you a ride back to the spillway.

From what I hear, yes, $25. However, when you consider taking time off work to rectify the ticket, court fees, and gas, you end up losing more than that :ack: I wouldn't wanna take the chance. :beerchug:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 1,876
  • Member since Feb '07
  • F***in catalina wine mixer
    • View Profile
so what is everyones opinion on the passenger drinking while wheeling
1973 HILUX build up-------> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.new#new

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile

Play it safe.  The laws concerning open containers do apply.  There aren't supposed to be any open containers in the vehicle while it is being used. 

Some LEOs on the 'con will enforce them, some won't, but I wouldn't chance it.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup

You are on a county road, so you will bear the consequences. I don't drink any alcohol, but if I did, I imagine I'd be jealous if my passenger got to drink and I didn't... also I believe it is the drivers responsibility as well (?) If your passenger was drinking while you were driving on Highway 50 and a CHP pulled you over, I am pretty sure the driver and the passenger would get tickets.

So from a drivers point of view, I wouldn't want anyone drinking while I was driving.

Thanks for the list Yota Up :thumbs: Please pack it in, pack it out. Don't forget your spill kits!!
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Sluice Box Hero

• My mom says im special
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -114
  • Male Posts: 637
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Tell your mom hi, and thank her for last night
    • View Profile
When you are green stickered you are no longer a passenger car/truck/ whatever.  you are an OHV and you must only abide by OHV laws.  which cruzila posted.  the road from the chalet to the trail head is a dual purpose easement allowing Off Highway Vehicles to travel the roadway as well as with other vehicles.  look at it this way, the trail (the part that allows OHV) starts at the chalet, so no worries as long as you are abiding by all OHV laws.

this is unless you are Dual Registration, then you must abide by all highway vehicle laws until your tires hit the trail.
"You know that feeling right after you take a huge dump? . . . . Awesome"
-Cartman

Yota Up [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
My opinion is that it's awesome.  CHEERS!
However, I leave that opinion in Louisiana, where it's LEGAL to do so.

Back in CA, and on the Rubicon trail - it's an open container ticket.

Slolyfe

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -117
  • Male Posts: 2,048
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Heyo
    • View Profile

Hahaha
You'll never take me alive

Yota Up [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
I've spent many hours and many dollars calling over and over to Sheriff and Forest LEO to get pure clarification and distinction on the rules.

I have not gotten a final word back on the Forest LEOs, but from my prior discussions with the supervisors on both ends, I will say this:

The Sheriff does not enforce minor issues like mudflaps, front plates, cracked windows - it's even unlikely they would enforce it between the chalet and spillway.

The Forest LEOs, however, made it clear that these are enforcable issues, not only between the chalet and spillway, but the Rubicon trail itself.

So it's up to you.  While I doubt you'll get nailed on the trail, it is possible to get a ticket from the forest LEOs.

Hopefully, by next year, we'll have both agencies on the same page.  I'll do my best, and continue to spend time and money doing everything I can for our trail and our cause.

Slolyfe

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Heyo
    • View Profile

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Thank you for the info - it would be quite redundant to have to run mudflaps on the trial :dunno: But I know, that's something that's being worked on :) Thanks for posting this!

Blingn

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
what do you get a fix it ticket for no rear brake light on green sticker?  if so then do i just tow my green sticker down to the chp, or leo office or dmv?  Just curious never really had to deal with green sticker issues b4.  I have always taken my lights off. 

Slolyfe

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Heyo
    • View Profile
what do you get a fix it ticket for no rear brake light on green sticker?  if so then do i just tow my green sticker down to the chp, or leo office or dmv?  Just curious never really had to deal with green sticker issues b4.  I have always taken my lights off. 

With green sticker infractions they just cane you on the spot. Pretty straight forward.

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile

hes talking about the people with plates. green stickered rigs dont have to worry about any of that. right?

what is a LEO by the way
1973 HILUX build up-------> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.new#new

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

Slolyfe

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Heyo
    • View Profile
hes talking about the people with plates. green stickered rigs dont have to worry about any of that. right?

what is a LEO by the way

Live Entertainment Orgy, or something like that either way they screw you in the a$$

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
Live Entertainment Orgy, or something like that either way they screw you in the a$$

lol you never disapoint

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

Blingn

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
dont threaten me with a good time. (leo) =  law enforcement officer...  Green sticker do have some rules too. 

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vctoc.htm

Division 16.5

You need plates or a green sticker.

You need a red rear facing and a white front facing at night.

On the trail you should be fine, getting there you need to be legal, just like everybody else.