Author Topic: Important Toyota recall information!!! READ!!!  (Read 59292 times)

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
if you are doing an SAS you arent going to need this steering recall
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

GrimReaper

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 58
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
50N recall.

I have a 86 4Runner. I know my truck was wrecked in 91-92 and something in the front end was bent and had to be replaced. I don't know if it was the relay rod or tie rod.

Now here is the part that is scary. The Relay rod from 86-95 all carry the same part number. The recall is 89 up.

Toyota and the dealer cannot tell me how to identify the rod to see if its effected.
The one Toy person tells me that the recall would be by "part number". I point out that it is the same part number. This stumps them they tell me they would check and call me back. No call back.  :mad:

I'm getting nowhere with the dealer folks and calling the 1800 you get no where as well just a person reading off the screen.

Any Toy Dealer mechanics know how I can identify the part to see if it is effected?

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
how much does a new one cost, hell buy the new one and change it out yourself
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
86 is affected from what i've been told. i'm going to take my 87 in to the dealer to have the recall taken care of.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

~tc~

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 143
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
You NEED to read this thread if you have a vehicle that may be affected by the 50N recall

http://www.yotatech.com/f116/special-service-campaign-90-95-4runners-89-95-trucks-93-98-t100s-66901/

Things seem to be getting better now, but those of us ho went in just as it came out had all kinds of trouble.
'93 4Runner, V6/MT ARB's, armor, 33's, no lift!

President, CO Chapter TTORA www.cottora.org

youngguns89

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 30
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
how do you put up pictures

Doof

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,205
  • Member since Apr '07
  • establised summer of 89
    • View Profile
can a MOD or somebody witht he power delete this post please?

i just looked at the date and i dont have to worry about this so please delete this....

THANKS!!

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
I got a recall notice in the mail the other day for the steering parts on my 89.  I'd love to see the look on their faces when they put it up on the rack and see an 85 axle and crossover steering. :rofl:
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

Nothingface5384

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 434
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Dun! Dun!! Dun!!!
    • View Profile
    • CarDomain
ive gotten 3 or 4 of these since the recall deployed..lol
i love your sig your down to a half of a maverick

73 Maverick(jointly owned w/ lil bro)
64 LeSabre(sold)
82 RX7 (scrapped)
92 Toyota p/u 4x4 (dead) resurrecting underway
72 Skylark (dead) resurrecting underway
87 Grand AM (junked)
79 Regal (sold)
90 Geo Prizm (R.I.P)

91pickup

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
Thanks for the info and number to the customer assistance. My relay rod on my 91 pickup will be replaced this wednesday. Hope everything goes as smooth as toyota is known for. Once again thanks.
Just want to let you people know there is some misinformation concerning the head gasket campaign. The Special Service Campaign VO6 does not expire on Januaury 6, in fact it does not expire. I brought my wifes 4Runner to the dealer yesterday to get the head gasket job done and was informed they performed the work in 1998 when we brought it in for it's 60k mile service. Kind of slipped my mind. Anyways,  I asked about the 1-1-2006 date and they told me that is incorrect. It does not expire.

If someone at a Toyota dealer tells you otherwise, ask to speak to the warranty manager or call the Toyota Customer Assistance Center, 1-800-331-4331. This is the number from the SSC pdf document. And yes, the steering rod recall will require an alignment to correctly adjust the steering, and it is included. Besides a tuneup, we had the steering rod replaced under the recall.

86rustbucket

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
whats a relay rod

yota_79

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Male Posts: 5
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
does anyone know if this recall is still in action?...i bought a 90 4runner with 97k on it drove it for a good year and my head gasket went out on me...

Just want to let you people know there is some misinformation concerning the head gasket campaign. The Special Service Campaign VO6 does not expire on Januaury 6, in fact it does not expire. I brought my wifes 4Runner to the dealer yesterday to get the head gasket job done and was informed they performed the work in 1998 when we brought it in for it's 60k mile service. Kind of slipped my mind. Anyways,  I asked about the 1-1-2006 date and they told me that is incorrect. It does not expire.

If someone at a Toyota dealer tells you otherwise, ask to speak to the warranty manager or call the Toyota Customer Assistance Center, 1-800-331-4331. This is the number from the SSC pdf document. And yes, the steering rod recall will require an alignment to correctly adjust the steering, and it is included. Besides a tuneup, we had the steering rod replaced under the recall.

79 yota, 90 runner

wesley

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Mar '10
  • you gotta get a little mud on the tires
    • View Profile
the reason the recal is 89 and up may have something to do with the sharper turning radius and the 89 and up steering boxes. couple be the cause of added stress. and to those wondering it is still and active recal. i had it done 4 years ago on a 4runner, and i just got a notice to get it done on my pickup. they dont know i totalled it 2 years ago haha

Sleeve of Wizzard

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 293
  • Member since Feb '09
  • It's craptaculer
    • View Profile
Heres a question : I just picked up a 94 runner and I think the PO had the head gasket done 3 years ago (not at the dealer) Will Toyota still do my head gasket? I'm gonna call tomorrow and see it they are still doing the recal and if they have any records for my runner.

TCBVince

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
It's still active. Check this link out. Give the guy on there your vin # and he will yell you if it's been done or not and if your under the recall

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/4runner/32512-4runner-head-gasket-recall-33/

rage

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 26
  • Male Posts: 142
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
Getting my headgaskets and relay rod replaced right now thanks to Merced Toyota. Taking care of a 21yr old runner with 189xxx miles. Says a hell of alot about Toyota in my book.

craigbalex

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -3
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
Well looks like I need to get mine checked out

rage

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 26
  • Male Posts: 142
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
Update: I put 1200 miles on the truck after the job was done and it started knocking really loud. They wouldn't even look at the truck without charging for a diag. Oh well, piss on em. I sold the rig and its still knocking like hell 10k miles later...