Author Topic: Important Toyota recall information!!! READ!!!  (Read 59353 times)

hacksaw

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 89
  • Member since Oct '04
  • BOOMER SOONER!
    • View Profile
Important Toyota recall information!!! READ!!!
« on: Nov 18, 2005, 04:39:49 AM »
Hey fellow Yota owners!  Just thought I would let you in on some recent events that I have gone through with my 1994 4Runner.  The campain on the head gasket recall will end in Jan. 06.  If you have not checked to see if your Toyota 3.0 V6 between 1988 (I think) and 1995 has had the recall work on the head gaskets preformed, then NOW IS THE TIME TO DO SO!!!  Call a Toyota dealer and give them your VIN# and tell them to check on "ANY" outstanding recalls on your model.  Be sure to "ASK" about the head gasket recall as well.  Toyota is getting ready to pull the plug on this issue, and I think they are not really wanting to do these jobs since it is about to end, so BE SURE AND ASK!!!  I called my local Toyota dealer and gave them my VIN#.  I asked them what I mentined above, and the head gaskets HAD been changed in 1998.  But, there IS a current recall on a steering part called a steering  relay rod.  This is the long one piece arm connecting both sides of the steering.  They changed mine in about 3 hours and did a great job.  So, PEOPLE, check out your VIN# PLEASE!!!  Thanks for all the support that everybody on this board has given me.  I hope I can help someone out with this information!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Take care people and good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shawn
Bone stock 94 Runner.  3VZE, 4x4, 5 speed.  204K miles and counting------96 Runner Limited 4x4, 3.4L Automatic, 144K miles and going strong!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: Important Toyota recall information!!! READ!!!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2005, 06:38:14 PM »
Thanks Shawn thats good info 

i think i'll set it sticky
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Matt_BC

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2005, 12:46:56 PM »
do you know if they do a wheel alignment when they do the steering recall ?

hacksaw [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '04
  • BOOMER SOONER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2005, 03:15:31 PM »
I don't think so.  You arent changing any settings on your steering.  Just replacing it with a better built part of the exact same specs I asume.  Make sure that you look at the rubber boots on the pitman arm and the idler arm before they do the work.  If they tore either one, tell them about it.  They will have to replace the entire idler arm if this gets torn.  They are supposed to use a puller instead of a fork during dissasembly.  Good luck!
Bone stock 94 Runner.  3VZE, 4x4, 5 speed.  204K miles and counting------96 Runner Limited 4x4, 3.4L Automatic, 144K miles and going strong!

Matt_BC

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2005, 09:04:31 PM »
too bad .. a free alignment would have been cool :)

I already tore one of those pesky boots :( Maybe they will think they did it and fix it  :greengrin:

Matt

robinhood4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -180
  • Member since Jun '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2005, 12:27:56 PM »
Yes, per the pdf document sent to the dealers the alignment will be checked and fixed if needed.  You can find the official pdf document by searching around on yotatech.com
Quote from: cruzila
Well, if the ideal of excluding the lesser equipped (stock or otherwise) is accepted... there is no fundamental difference between that and a Sierra CLub ideal of exclusion. If we cannot embrace the 4wheel users as a whole. We are not fighting for access. I cannot be that shortsighted

MR_DIY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -40
  • Male Posts: 595
  • Member since Sep '05
  • this is why I'm web wheelin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2005, 05:13:09 PM »
good looking out man
also...........

ball joints for 2001+ fourrunners, tacoma's and sequoia's.
I'm going yota JUST so I can buy from Marlin more.

*quote*-  goes to show that a ramp hero doesn't always have what it takes to be a trail hero as well.

Plowking

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -75
  • Male Posts: 504
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Awesome yota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2005, 12:28:27 PM »
Thanks for the heads up, just called and they told me N/A.
2008 Dodge Diesel  (Cummins Rule)
6.7 manual quad 8 foot bed H&S delete, banks air box
93 yota 3.0 locked up...
2004 Yamaha Raptor 660R

homewrecka

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 13
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2005, 04:44:07 AM »
Hacksaw, how is that head gasket campaign going? I was told (by the local Toyota dealer) that they are no longer doing the recall work. Is this true? If not, is there a way to confirm this? Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mike

hacksaw [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '04
  • BOOMER SOONER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 25, 2005, 01:00:09 PM »
Well Mike, I just had the steering relay rod recall installed last week and I asked them about the head gasket recall.  My local Toy dealer told me that it runs good till Jan 06!  Better check again with your dealer because most of the dealers will try to sneek buy these last couple of months.  Little white lies I guess????????????  Anyhow, they told me that mine had already been done in 98.  Good luck!

hornett22

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -97
  • Male Posts: 189
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
strange they told you it was over.all the toyota techs i know and used to work with killed for this job.if you had done enough of them you could make some money on this one.some halfass techs would pull the intake with the heads though to save time.this is BS in my book.the customer is not getting all the new gaskets in the kit and the manifold is being stressed .stealing in my opinion.

kiyul4130

• Brown Star Award
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 279
  • Male Posts: 3,265
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Turdburgalin since 1985
    • View Profile
thats cool there doing the recall. mine got all cut off though.... :outtahere:
-kiyul-
92 1 ton ex cab, marlin dual ultimates, 42 iroks, hydro assist, flat bellied, linked and more...
ECV 7-11

KYOTA FOREVER

MocKKnighT

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 77
  • Member since Nov '05
  • They Make Beer Commercials Like This
    • View Profile
Who ever told you that you don't get a free alignment is plain wrong because i know for a fact that the alignment guy at the dealership i work at is pulling mad overtime because of these recalls. Get in there get the steering rod relay recall done and get your free alignment.
Wheeler: 85 4runner = Fun.....

DD: 97 Taco

STOLEN AND CHOPPED! :( 84 Pickup.......22R, Weber, Lift, Winch, Gears

Scott39

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 153
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
JC Rules <><
Earth First, we will screw up the rest of the planets later.

Toyofast

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 12
  • Male Posts: 18
  • Member since May '04
  • I like the mall
    • View Profile
Anyone and everyone is welcomed to PM me or call me with their VIN numbers and I can run it while at work to see if you have any outstanding recalls in effect.  I try to watch and play on the Toyota based boards during the day while selling Toyota parts.

Brett
503.722.4838 Direct line
Toyota of Gladstone

cadman

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -103
  • Male Posts: 10
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Just want to let you people know there is some misinformation concerning the head gasket campaign. The Special Service Campaign VO6 does not expire on Januaury 6, in fact it does not expire. I brought my wifes 4Runner to the dealer yesterday to get the head gasket job done and was informed they performed the work in 1998 when we brought it in for it's 60k mile service. Kind of slipped my mind. Anyways,  I asked about the 1-1-2006 date and they told me that is incorrect. It does not expire.

If someone at a Toyota dealer tells you otherwise, ask to speak to the warranty manager or call the Toyota Customer Assistance Center, 1-800-331-4331. This is the number from the SSC pdf document. And yes, the steering rod recall will require an alignment to correctly adjust the steering, and it is included. Besides a tuneup, we had the steering rod replaced under the recall.
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right

unclejpl4x4

• Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
:rofl:    i just  got the notice  in the mail   :rofl: .................  ya after i allready replaced every thing in the front end :laugh:
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

No Power

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 200
  • Male Posts: 235
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Can anybody tell me more about this steering rod relay recall ???
Thanks in advance :yesnod:
Roll me back over !!!

unclejpl4x4

• Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

No Power

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 200
  • Male Posts: 235
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Oop's missed that thanx. :thumbs:
Roll me back over !!!

eddyb

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 230
  • Male Posts: 203
  • Member since Jun '05
  • I'm here, I'm in gear, get used to it!!!
    • View Profile
Just dropped mine off.  Rep told me over the phone that the gasket recall has expired.  Will call the # from above post and report on what I'm told.
A bad day of wheelin' is better than a good day at work

BIG BALLS

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 37
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Crawling with Marlin and ARB Lockers front rear
    • View Profile
will try this here in south africa at our dealers and see
arb lockers front rear black diamond 85mm body lift marlin crawler twin stick coming 33" x1250x15 bridgestone m/t and a/t 10 J rims dual roll bars rear revolver shackles front SYRON CONVERSION bumper and kew 8000 winch tow points front rear shortened loadbody cab slider free flow branches 4Y engine power steering cd front loader invertor a pair of big balls hanging at the rear grade 3 anti theft pepper spray system rhino seat covers rhino tarp arb compressor co2 air tank high lift spade axe

ToyDoc

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Male Posts: 5
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
In response to a free alignment for the relay rod, the alignment is free if the adjusters are, if they are siezed you will need to pay for the new parts if you want an alignment.  The camber caster adjusters will be.  As for the steeling because all the gaskets havent been replaced.  All toyota wants us to do is put new head gaskets on and make sure the block and the heads are ok, not rebuild the engine.  Its not like you are paying for new set of head gaskets.  Just my five cents!
Anything that takes twelve steps just aint worth do'in

furrballs95

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 124
  • Male Posts: 302
  • Member since Oct '05
  • boot scoot put in 4low and boogie
    • View Profile
they told me that it expired in 04 and i had to pay out of my pocket 1600$ to get myne fixed do you have anymore info on this.
Just want to let you people know there is some misinformation concerning the head gasket campaign. The Special Service Campaign VO6 does not expire on Januaury 6, in fact it does not expire. I brought my wifes 4Runner to the dealer yesterday to get the head gasket job done and was informed they performed the work in 1998 when we brought it in for it's 60k mile service. Kind of slipped my mind. Anyways,  I asked about the 1-1-2006 date and they told me that is incorrect. It does not expire.

If someone at a Toyota dealer tells you otherwise, ask to speak to the warranty manager or call the Toyota Customer Assistance Center, 1-800-331-4331. This is the number from the SSC pdf document. And yes, the steering rod recall will require an alignment to correctly adjust the steering, and it is included. Besides a tuneup, we had the steering rod replaced under the recall.

95 Toyota p/u 3.0 v6. Marlin SAS with 5"springs, 30 spline bobby longs, and a welded V6 third in a trussed 85 front axle. 529's front and rear, Marlin rear kit with 5" springs, lockrite rear locker,  36"  IROCKS on 15x10 black rock crawlers, custom front and rear bumpers,

eddyb

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 230
  • Male Posts: 203
  • Member since Jun '05
  • I'm here, I'm in gear, get used to it!!!
    • View Profile

Furry call this number.  They will tell you exactly what has been done to your truck and what needs to be done.
A bad day of wheelin' is better than a good day at work

checkeredvans

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Male Posts: 3
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
I have a 1991 forerunner and a 1991 pickup. Do they fix the power steering box leak at the same time? Everyone I know with a yota around this year has a leaky steering box.
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the
hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters
--Frank Lloyd Wright

yota-tota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 17
  • Male Posts: 232
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling over Marlin
    • View Profile
I have a 1991 forerunner and a 1991 pickup. Do they fix the power steering box leak at the same time? Everyone I know with a yota around this year has a leaky steering box.

no i don't think so, all they replace is the piece connecting the two steering arms together. I found my truck road smoother after with the new piece inplace.
91 toy truggy on h2 injection, hacked n chopped n locked n SAS'd rolling 36" IROKS........doubler comming soon

UKMyers

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 188
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
Just a heads up on the 50N Steering relay rod recall. Be prepared for a possible nightmare on getting this done. I ended up spending almost $1000 to rescue my truck from Toyota's shop after going in for that recall. Check out this http://www.yotatech.com/showthread.php?t=75106&highlight=50N+horror+story for some interesting reading on my experience.
« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2007, 07:56:49 AM by UKMyers »

Nothingface5384

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 434
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Dun! Dun!! Dun!!!
    • View Profile
    • CarDomain
would us guys that have done a sas are in process of starting one ina few months need this done afterwards?, i'm thinking no but figured i'd ask anyways
mike
i love your sig your down to a half of a maverick

73 Maverick(jointly owned w/ lil bro)
64 LeSabre(sold)
82 RX7 (scrapped)
92 Toyota p/u 4x4 (dead) resurrecting underway
72 Skylark (dead) resurrecting underway
87 Grand AM (junked)
79 Regal (sold)
90 Geo Prizm (R.I.P)

GrimReaper

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 58
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Just a heads up on the 50N Steering relay rod recall. Be prepared for a possible nightmare on getting this done. I ended up spending almost $1000 to rescue my truck from Toyota's shop after going in for that recall. Check out this http://www.yotatech.com/showthread.php?t=75106&highlight=50N+horror+story for some interesting reading on my experience.

I don't see how your issue has anythign to do with the recal. Your problem was with a dealer.