Author Topic: spring over  (Read 2354 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
spring over
« on: Oct 23, 2004, 11:03:08 PM »
Buddy wants to get some hieght on his 2wd nissan.  Spring over has been suggested as well as cranking up torsion bars.  What exactly does this mean?? How do you do all of this? how hard is it to do?? and can he do it with stock parts??  or does he need to buy some stuff?  If so what??

Sorry about all the questions :-\\
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
Re: spring over
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2004, 11:06:00 PM »
spring-over and spring-under refer to how leaf springs are mounted.  on a 2wd nissan or toyota, the spring is mounted underneath the axle.  on a 4wd, it's usually mounted on top of the axle.

doing a spring over conversion on something that's spring-under usually gives about 4" of lift right away.  all that's usually required is to put new perches on top the axle and relocate shock mounts

waffler

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -9
  • Male Posts: 99
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Was that necessary?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 23, 2004, 11:19:20 PM »
I have heard that you can use the U bolt mounting plates as the perches
There is no cure for stupidity.  Dribble happens.

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 7,509
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2004, 03:42:56 AM »
I wouldn't do a spring over on it,cause it's gonna give you more height in the rear than the front,and it'll sit ass high.If he wants to keep it low budget,he can crank the torsions,and just do an ad-a-leaf in the rear,or just go bigger shackles.....And you can't use the U bolt plates as spring pearches,if you guys do end up doing the spring over,you can get a spring pearch kit for about $20.
WWW.GLOBALOFFROADSUPPLY.COM

Support Your Local Brawlers
 www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

SWAMPER

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 790
  • Male Posts: 3,599
  • Member since May '04
  • Semper Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2004, 03:59:35 PM »
:worthless:  Yeah if spring over does that much lift just get longer shackels or blocks on the rear and crank up the T-bars...oh yeah rear locker
1985 Toyota Pick/Up longbed...bobbed 15",  lifted 5", 36's.....http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=36992.0

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Male Posts: 2,833
  • Member since Apr '04
  • work so I can support my lifestyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Oct 24, 2004, 06:11:53 PM »
i have an 80 datsun that im gonna be doing that to. just shackle the rear and crank up front. there not worth the money otherwise
Im an OG

Makohon

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 83
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 24, 2004, 07:42:30 PM »
blocks in the rear with spring under lowers it lilswamper... but anyway longer shackles and crank up the torsion bars... cranking torsion bars dont give that much of a lift but it does lift the truck, you also gotta remember cranking the torsion bars mess with the camber.. is the the right one??(camber) but you get what im sayin hopefully! if it is spring over then you can put blocks!!.... i did the cranking of torsion bars/longer shackles to my old rodeo and it gave maybe 2'' in the front of lift and messed with alignment and shackles in the rear, depending on your suspension you can take out shims in the front end or add them to change the camber, well good luck man!!  :beerchug:
91 std cab, flatbed, 35 mtr's, aussie, 5.29's, 4.7's, twin sticks

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Male Posts: 2,833
  • Member since Apr '04
  • work so I can support my lifestyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Oct 24, 2004, 07:46:46 PM »
yeah camber is correct and the shims go in the a-arms
Im an OG

Fireimp141

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 786
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 24, 2004, 09:17:48 PM »
I had to crank my torsions to fit 33's, i also added some 1" rear blocks... its not that hard, took me like 2 hours, and u dont have to buy new torsion bars but you can cause it puts a lot of stress on em. Its a really novice thing to do. One suggestion is that when you take them out of the A-arms, unbolt the whole housing, and line up the splines outside of the vehicle and then bolt it back on as a whole. I tried to get it in with the housing still attached to the a-arm and it was a :censored: But if u want like 6" more clearance, you can crank torsions, add blocks and do a spring-over conversion, all really easy stuff ;) Just make sure ure fuel/ebrake or w/e lines have enough slack for the lift. Post some pics if u do it, me liky picks :thumbsup: GL
« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2004, 09:24:49 PM by Fireimp141 »
86 Toyota 4runner, 33X12.5-15 Aurora RT/02's on Series 97 15X10 rock crawlers, 3" performance body lift, Rancho RS5000's... Soon to be Marlin 1200 Clutch, tube bumper front and rear, nerf bars and roof rack... future plans include SAS 5.29's detroits!

I am the Amazing Turtle! and I'm awarding you 49 points, increasing your Turtle Points!