Author Topic: click? click? start  (Read 4881 times)

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,145
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
click? click? start
« on: Jun 29, 2009, 10:05:54 PM »
i just got back from a good evening of wheelin,first run since new T chain and head gasket.everything went great EXCEPT....for the longest time when ever id go wheelin and turn off my truck click click start scared the crap outa me every time so i got a new starter and thought the problem was fixed,well tonight click click click click click start. in the past the truck will start fine the next day and does not do this while DD any ideas?   
      84 toy 22r
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: click? click? start
« Reply #1 on: Jun 29, 2009, 10:09:00 PM »
90% of "new" parts store alternators are garbage

should have kept and rebuilt your old one

check battery cables and the ign switch
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 29, 2009, 10:23:00 PM »
Mine has done this a couple of time, but not enough for me to worry about.  But it always starts.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 30, 2009, 12:06:27 AM »
My bro-in-law had a 4Runner that did that when he got it. He changed the starter & battery & still had the same problem. I found that the guy that rebuilt the engine had put the ground cable on the frame side of the motor mount. I moved the ground to the block where it belongs & now it starts everytime.  :crossed:
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

toyodaaddict [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 30, 2009, 01:46:55 PM »
ok ive checked battery cables,starter conections and grounds they all look good.ill have to look into how to test my ignition switch.
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #5 on: Jun 30, 2009, 01:51:21 PM »
Battery cables. Ground.

ROKTOY829

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Male Posts: 191
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 30, 2009, 02:48:49 PM »
Check your ground strap from the motor to the cab if you don't have one make one and try that.

skyscraper

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 589
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 30, 2009, 02:59:50 PM »
I had the same problem....everyone told me the same thing.  Check the cables.  So i looked at them and they were all there, so i figured they werent the problem.  Replaced the starter and still had the same problem.  It ended up that the pos. cable wasnt tight in the battery post clamp.  So even though it looked good, it wasnt.

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #8 on: Jun 30, 2009, 03:00:34 PM »
Oh, and on my 4runner (doing the same thing) I loosened, greased, and re-torqued the cables on the starter and now it works cherry every time. Forgot about that.

skyscraper

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 589
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 30, 2009, 04:17:03 PM »
Ya the dielectric grease is a good idea

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 30, 2009, 05:06:32 PM »
Mine just would click once, replaced the contacts, works perfect now
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #11 on: Jun 30, 2009, 05:26:20 PM »
if ALL elas checks out it's more than liky the contacts in the starter.
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 1,876
  • Member since Feb '07
  • F***in catalina wine mixer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 30, 2009, 10:54:11 PM »
x2

i had the same problem with my old 4runner, but my problem got worce and worce. i figured it was the brushes not makeing contact with the com. tore the truck apart before i ever figured it out. try spraying some brake clean in the starter, might clean it out
1973 HILUX build up-------> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.new#new

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 01, 2009, 09:52:30 PM »
What size of battery cables you got?

Get rid of those factory ones.  And get some aftermarket heavy gauge wires.  Or have some made out of welding wire.  Make sure the wire is covered by insulation or sealed.  Cause if they get corrosion in the wires, then you loose alot of conductivity of the wire.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 01, 2009, 10:38:02 PM »

X3, I've pulled more than a few *rebuilt* starters off the shelf, installed them and got the clicky click.  Definately check all connections just like everybody said, corrosion is a dirty little pregnant dog that doesn't play fair.  You'd be surprised how little it takes in an otherwise good system to cause non-starting issues!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

toyodaaddict [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jul 02, 2009, 06:03:37 PM »
thanks guys, i appreciate all your suggestions.if the part store starters are crap can i still rebuild one to quality?and while searching pirate4x4 i found alot of info on instaling a relay into the system to make up for a weak ignition i believe. is that a good way to go?

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jul 02, 2009, 07:51:50 PM »
Yes the relay will work, the Toyota Supra community does the same thing.  I wouldn't bother with it unless you know everything else is working properly.

As mentioned "New" after market starters can be bad, so there is no guarantee that your new one is actually good.  You can pick up an oem starter from a parts yard and rebuild it yourself, providing you can find all of the parts.  The contacts are easy to come by, but worn contacts aren't always the issue w/starters going bad.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jul 02, 2009, 11:28:59 PM »
True, the ring on the plunger often gets too worn to make solid contact with the contacts.  I went to toyota and was told you couldn't get a replacement plunger, then called my brother at a lithia toyota and he found it pretty easilly.  I suggest updating to the Nippon Denso gear reduction starter if you have the big, cumbersome old style.  They're easy to find parts for and are used on a ton of different apps/brands.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #18 on: Jul 02, 2009, 11:44:04 PM »
Battery cables. Ground.

:werd: Make sure your battery cables are not corroded, make sure all connections are strong and clean.

I have the same issue in my rig and it's been going since I got it. The clean battery terminals/cables help, but the only thing that'll fix it I think is a new starter. Did you try banging on the starter with a hammer? :disturbed: That works for me (sometimes).
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jul 02, 2009, 11:51:44 PM »
^^That is usually a sign that the contacts are gone.  Check 4Crawler.com for new contacts, you can order larger ones for a larger contact patch.  Should be able to get 2 shipped for about $15.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #20 on: Jul 04, 2009, 08:34:46 AM »
i found alot of info on instaling a relay into the system to make up for a weak ignition i believe. is that a good way to go?

I was going to mention this to you, but you've found it. This is a common problem with Toyota's as they get older. I have used aux. light relays to fix this problem on both Toys and Sammi's since their systems are very similar.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jul 04, 2009, 08:45:36 AM »
i recently pressure washed my starter, and though if i let it sit to dry out, that it would be fine.... well, i ended up killing it, as tsome water got into it, and rusted, so it siezed up
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

tortis

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jul 11, 2009, 05:57:33 PM »
I hooked up an aux. relay for my starter after replacing contacts.  Everything else was fine.  Since the installation of the relay my starter probs are over.