Author Topic: Russell_G's 87 longbed build up. The door panels and interior wrap up.  (Read 144626 times)

89sastoyo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 148
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
that turbo is freakin' huge for a toyota motor how ddoes it have enough fuel.. ive seen people run 440s with half that turbo... i want though that would be gangster
89 extra cab stock on 1 tons.
83 rolled with built toy axles
92 2wd DD
first gen cab

Check out the build.

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=56487.0

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 389
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
It's been a while....I went back and read my whole thread. I cant tell you the number of guys i have met that say" I read your whole build up 5 times!" So i thought i might as well read it. It makes me look back at all the work on the truck and love it even more.

So i have some updates.

i picked up another E-locker and geared it with youkon 5.29's. I picked up some dirty 30's for it and got the trenion bearing eliminator. My TG tierod ends needed to be replaced for a 2nd time so i ordered marlin ones. long story but i have a set on it now and they seem to do ok for now. I had to fix the gastank for good and by fix it i mean cut up a 98 4 runner one and weld it all in my 87 tank. Thanks Jed for not killing us...

I wheeled the truck at the CoTTora Takeover in BV. The truck is amazing! front locker worked well even tho i had issues with my rear lockers light burning up. Lowrange sent me another one so i need to replace that before CO4RJ next weekend. I found a few things while at takeover. The steering SUCKS with the locker on! So i just ordered hydro assist. I had a tranny cooler laying around im going to us and mod my res. for more fluid. Also found out that my lighting is horrible with out hids. So i ordered bi xenon again for the headlights and regular xenon for the fog. Im retrofitting it to the KC daylighters because i already have them and they fit nice with the chrome grill.

I cant wait to run Holly cross, and chinaman again. This time during the day.

Here are a few pics i have of the mods and chinaman night run from takeover.

chinaman

Gastank modded and ready to go in.

Switches for the E-locker

This is the trenion beaing elemininator after about 4k miles. Still looks good.

After a year and 7 months of driving this thing daily she still looks pretty good
87 longbed bobbed 12inches, locked,geared,Tacoma dash, 3rz swap Its a never ending project.
My build
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=58589.0

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
Wheeled at the CO 4runner Jambo over the weekend! What a great event! Holy cross was sweet and same with chinaman/carnage. I didnt run carnage but we sat and watched the exit. Pics to come.
87 longbed bobbed 12inches, locked,geared,Tacoma dash, 3rz swap Its a never ending project.
My build

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
Its been a while!

I will keep this kinda short. The truck has been great! My only complaint is the front leaf bushings wear way too fast.

Got a list of new mods to come...
Beadlocks- Got 17/9.5 raceline with 4'' bs
axles- picked up FJ cruiser rear axle from an 08 with e-locker
Front axle will be a diamond. Its going to take some saving but im thinking 67'' wms to wms.
Hydro assist to go on.
rear armor
drop the truck with a buddy who does interior for a leather wrap cause im tired of a half finished interior and dont wanna do it.

pics of what i have so far.
Axle!

Im also fixing the bed. The drivers side is still ripped, the mud is cracking out and the passenger side is rusting already and i got some damage last time out.
My build

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,175
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
Axle upgrades sound sick!

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Those wheels look sweet Russell!
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Wow, the excitement renews! ballin Bro
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

jgeck90

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '11
    • View Profile

jgeck90

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '11
    • View Profile
How much do you have into it so far?

daniresch

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 930
  • Male Posts: 761
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
love the wheels, i'm running a similar set. is there a particular reason you went with steel, over the alloy ring?
1988 Blue Std Cab: SAS, Longs, HP/ARB/5.29 Front, ARB/5.29 Rear, Marlin Dual Ultimate w/ 23 Spline MC07XD-R10, Marlin 30 Spline Front & Rear Output Shafts, Dave's Triple shifter, FROR crossmember, Bilstein 12" f+r, RUF w/ 63s, 7in bob, 40x13.5x17 MTR's on Racelines Monster Beadlocks 17x9.5

build: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=80954.510

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 269
  • Male Posts: 2,418
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockfrogs.org

Never ask that question :)  Russell doesn't want to know.
84 4Runner
Swapped EFI and a rebuilt 22RE
Marlin Dual Ultimate crawler
Marlin high steer
TG springs
5.29's, Aussie locked front and rear
39.5" Iroks on 15x10 2.5" backspaced wheels
109" wheelbase
Addicted Off Road 8 point cage
Addicted Off Road front bumper

Addicted Off Road

Colorado Marlin members, check out the Colorado section!!!

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
Axle upgrades sound sick!
Thanks, I hope they turn out sick!
Those wheels look sweet Russell!
Thanks! I cant wait to see them on. I got a wild hair after looking at a set on pirate that the guys shop sold out from under me...I had to order a set.
Wow, the excitement renews! ballin Bro
Thanks, Ballin on a budget. LOL. Its going to be a slow build here...I ned to get other projects done and with my training i dont get much time in the garage...And when i do i dont wanna move.

I dont know exactly...I know that my truck has cost more then the FJ set us back buying it new.
love the wheels, i'm running a similar set. is there a particular reason you went with steel, over the alloy ring?

I honestly didn't even think to get the alloy. I wanted black and thats all i was worried about. I knew they would be heavy and with tires be super heavy. I guess thinking back now i would have still gone this route cause i just fee the aluminum would be a softer ring in the fight against rocks.

Never ask that question :)  Russell doesn't want to know.

It can be asked...I just wont answer it.. I cant say too much either cause its well worth it. I love my truck.

My build

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
So not this coming weekend but next im taking the axle to my buddys work who is going to plasma off all the brackets from the FJ. It will cut down on some grinding. In the next few weeks i have to pull the steering wheel out of the parts rig and pull the brakes off. I'm also going to be looking at tacoma vs FJ calipers and rotors. I read they are both 12.55'' but i need to see if the tacoma brake kit from FROR will work. If not i will be spending some time in the shop at work.

I need to get my gti running so i can move the truck over in the garage and either start driving the gti or if the cabrio sells tomorrow like we have planned now then i will be going out and getting a lexus to drive daily. Always wanted a 90's ls400 and have always looked around for them while looking for cars. Finding one thats not a beat pile of crap is impossible tho.

I have been hunting for the wiring diagrams and to find out where and if there is a temp sensor for the tippy gauge in the fj and where it is. I wanna get that wired up in the truck. Im going to need to make a spacer plate for it to sit correctly.

I cant wait to mod the bed and repaint it. Most of the truck is getting painted and clear bra on it cause the rock chips from the tires are enough to piss me off. The neighbor kids put a dent in the hood right after we moved in so im going to replace it..I know im OCD and its a ton of work to risk screwing it up but i never have been known for not going crazy. I will be going to the Orbet eye style bushings in the rear and thinking about it up front too. I cant stand the bushing wear. Its enough to make me crazy!
My build

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
The early 90's ls400's are nice but stay away from a '95.  The 95's have cats that go bad all the time and they are really pricey.  Trust me, I was a Lexus tech for years.... Whatever ls400 you get, look at the lower track arm bushings in the rear (on the carrier), the EGR pipe down the back of the enigne (cracks and sounds like a boat motor) and the P/S pump.  Other than those few items, they are pretty much bulletproof and the motors will last forever if you change the oil regularly and use '91 octane.  '87 octane here in California will give you valve noise you can't get to go away without a head rebuild.  Personally, I like the '91 and '92 model year without the air pump (look for one without the small tube attached to the air filter box) - they have a EGR Pipe that is easier to replace  :thumbs:

Oh, and if you get one that needs a new EGR pipe, pm me about the easy way to replace it.  We used to get 8 hrs flat rate to replace them, and I can do it in 15 minutes with a lift.   :gap:

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
Glad i checked this. I almost got a 95 the other day...Sad thing is the guy selling it thought it was worth 7k. It needed a bag in the rear, bbunch of little bs, radio, antenna, a few switches and the heated seats didnt work.

Sad thing is that people post them and wont return calls. I posted a WTB and have had so much high mile junk thrown my way i wanna puke. So your car needs paint and the interior has rips? Ok so how much are you looking to get? IT hasnt had a service in 200k? Oh ok how much? needs tires? HOW MUCH? $5000? Really? its a 91 with 279k and needs 5000+ in work.

Im thinking i want a 91-93 or a 96-97
My build

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
thats insane, they see "Lexus" in the brand of the car and automatically think its gold?
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

6.2L V8

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I wouln't be afraid of high mileage as long as it runs smooth.  Those motors have 6 bolt mains and last and last.  I like the 91-93's since they have contraptions to break.  The late 90's models have strut rod bushings that go bad in the front end and clunk like crazy going in and out of driveways.  It's an easy fix, but costly.

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
i just sold my 92 sc400 for $600

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
I got one!!! 96 LS400. Family owned from day one. The man that owned it passed and handed it down to his granddaughter. It had timing belt and waterpump done at 100k and at 215k. The car has 250 but has a stack of records and drives great. It needs a few things and because i am the way i am it seems like a lot.

O2 sensor is bad.
dent in the hood and passenger fender- fixing this and painting the lower plastics.
tail light has been cracked and repaired.
heat works and then doesnt...Thinking it is an air bubble after driving it today.
Slight leak coming from egr or collectors. its slight but i hear it.
Shocks are weak.
Interior is dirty and the girl was a smoker so it stinks now that i have quit.

here is a pic

Its supposed to be a blizzard the next few days so this thing will be sitting and the truck will be drivin to work. After the snow goes im going to pull it in and clean the living piss out of it. Im ordering 1/2 red and 1/2 clear taillights and clear turn signals maybe headlights and hids for the fogs and headlights. New stereo and some bulbs in the dash that are burnt out. I also have a yellow top for it...O2 should be in this week and maybe shocks but im planning air or coils.

My build

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

daniresch

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
1988 Blue Std Cab: SAS, Longs, HP/ARB/5.29 Front, ARB/5.29 Rear, Marlin Dual Ultimate w/ 23 Spline MC07XD-R10, Marlin 30 Spline Front & Rear Output Shafts, Dave's Triple shifter, FROR crossmember, Bilstein 12" f+r, RUF w/ 63s, 7in bob, 40x13.5x17 MTR's on Racelines Monster Beadlocks 17x9.5

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
The leak you are hearing is most likely the EGR Pipe.  It runs down the back of the engine to the right side exhaust manifold.  They crack on the accordian part.  I believe a '96 has a 2 peice EGR pipe and it is the lower one that leaks - still, pretty easy to replace.

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
The leak you are hearing is most likely the EGR Pipe.  It runs down the back of the engine to the right side exhaust manifold.  They crack on the accordian part.  I believe a '96 has a 2 peice EGR pipe and it is the lower one that leaks - still, pretty easy to replace.

Thats what i was thinking. It only leaks when its cold and i floor it. i was looking online and found an egr blockoff kit. it has everything to remove all of that. I plan on just mounting it all on there to look like its on there.

Any idea of a quick way to do the knock sensor replacement? I hear its 6 hours but a ton of people say there is a way to do it with out removing the manifold. I need to replace it and the harness for emissions...I have a knock sensor circut malf. I hear the harness is $50 and the sensor i found at 130.

I'm going to get it plated and start driving it more. I really wanna work on the truck so the goal is over the next few pay days get the GTI rollin and get it plated for my girl to drive it even tho after her driving the ls tonight i think im going to be driving the gti....anyways the Toy can go in the 3rd spot in the garage and can be torn down. My shifter started feeling funky the past few weeks so i need to look in to that and get this sucker finished up. My buddy Jay got his bed bob done and it looks great...I was only over to help mud but the metal work was top notch and is making me wanna get back after mine.

Here is a pic cause he did a really nice job

And cause im on my computer for the first time in forever here are a few pics.

And a really old one...This was from my first snow run with the truck! I cant believe she wheeled it then..Now she doesnt like to drive it much
My build

daniresch

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
awesome pictures man! that bobbed bed looks very clean too, paint is perfect!

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Russell, as for the knock sensors I believe it is possible to remove them if you pull off the throttle body and use the right socket with a extension and a universal joint.  I don't remember if you can replace that harness though with the intake still on.  If you can't do it without removing the upper intake plenum, make sure you drain a bunch of coolant first before you pull the intake or you will end up with it in the heads.  BTW, there's 2 knock sensors - one in each head.

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
awesome pictures man! that bobbed bed looks very clean too, paint is perfect!

I think so! Makes me wanna redo mine. I have 2 little rust spots starting already so guess what...ITs time to redo my bob LOL!!!
Russell, as for the knock sensors I believe it is possible to remove them if you pull off the throttle body and use the right socket with a extension and a universal joint.  I don't remember if you can replace that harness though with the intake still on.  If you can't do it without removing the upper intake plenum, make sure you drain a bunch of coolant first before you pull the intake or you will end up with it in the heads.  BTW, there's 2 knock sensors - one in each head.

Ok i will look in to this more. I read there is 2 so im going to scan again and see if i get anymore info. Im not looking forward to this job or spending the money on the parts already.

My build

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
WOW i havent been on here in a while.

Updates updates updates.

So i have started my rear bumper and tire carrier...I changed my mind after getting the new tires mounted on a swing down type. F tryin to lift that multiple times a week.

I got the new tires mounted and on the truck. Also have the FJ rear axle in for mock up. I added FJc steering wheel with stereo control, the tippy gauge thing.
a new soft topper in black.... Ok pics..

4" rear spring..dropped it a few inches from my 5's

Sold my old top.

Motor pic cause i dont have but one or 2

Cut the bed and started a bumper.

Bent some tube

New soft topper.

Bumper part done..needs carrier now.

FJ Cruiser rear axle cleaned and armor on it.

Pre surgery pic.

Axle in place.

Found my self in another country looking at strange stuff a while...

Ok so now im back.. I have the hinge for the carrier, I have everything but the latch... I just ordered the gears for the 3rd, A new bushing kit..and im waiting on the Diamond front. I have no clue when it will be done at this point. I Called before i left and i called when i got back and havent heard back about it... Oh well. I will give it few days and try again. I need to Figure out how im going to mount the shocks in the rear, I have had them front and back like stock but feel like it handles funky. Thought about both back and this i or triangulated but not much are my ideas right now.

My build

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
WOW is about all I can say. you have some of the cleanest and nicest mods ive seen.
does your FJ wheel actually control your stereo???!!!
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
Thanks, Its wired but i need to order the adapter to make it work on my alpine. I haven't wired up the tippy gauge stuff yet either.That is looking to be a pain and i kinda wonder if i was crazy for trying that. I need to find the diagrams for it and the 00 taco....I have a full FJ for parts so that may make it easier.  I figure while the interior guy has the interior i will wire all that. I'm thinking about making some adjustments to the stereo..just not loud enough some times lol. I was talking to a guy off the CoTTora forums and he has the SR5 door panels. So rather then build mine from scratch im going to mod them to fit the taco switches or the fj ones...Not sure yet.

I need to figure out how to run my shocks. Some say triangulate them..Most say stock or on one side of the axle. I measured out my shock locations and stock the drivers side top(front of the axle) is closer to the axle then the passenger(rear of the axle) Im wondering if this is why my truck feels funny over bumps...it feels like one side is stiffer. The shock  is also compressed more. Im wondering if this is how it was supposed to be

Any shock feedback? How to mount them?
I have read this http://www.4x4review.com/Features/Tech/BeAGeniusShockAbsorbers/tabid/307/Default.aspx

but i know people have ways they like to do it that work well.

« Last Edit: Jun 06, 2012, 10:46:46 PM by Russell_G »
My build

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Thats flatout amazing. lol
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8