Author Topic: high steer with manual steering?  (Read 2249 times)

kletzenklueffer

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 27
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
high steer with manual steering?
« on: May 13, 2009, 07:17:05 AM »
My 82 has manual steering (no power assist). I'm adding 1.5" shackles to the existing 3" suspension lift. First I'm wondering if I'm reaching the upper limit of my J arm steering configuration, and also, if I'm to the point that I need to move on to high steer, can it be done while retaining manual steering? I don't want power steering. I like the single v belt to the alternator simplicity and am resistant to changing that.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: high steer with manual steering?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 07:49:39 AM »
NO, because when changing to histeer an IFS style sterring box must be used, i suppose if you could find a manual ifs gearbox you could but your gonna wish you had power steering when you get on a twisty trail doing 1/2 a mile per hour going from all the way left to all the way right over and over again
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

kletzenklueffer [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 27
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 09:06:36 AM »
I wheeled this truck for several yeasr with the manual , and then wheeled a Blazer, a CJ7, and two 4Runner with power steering. I never thought I could feel the trail/road as well as with manual.

I guess I'll just have to look in to it more. I hate being dependent on belts and hoses to be able to steer. I could steer the manual even if the engine was dead.

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 10:31:34 AM »
you should be fine with that J-arm with only 5 inches of lift.  i ran it with 6 inches of lift for a long time without the ball flipped on the j-arm and no problems.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 10:41:05 AM »
Don't need cross over for that much lift, shouldn't be a problem. On a side note though I used to strong arm a few different rigs not too bad except in the rocks. Not that you can't steer it but be prepared to have the steering wheel ripped out of your grasp. Keep those thumbs tucked or you'll be sore for days or get one broken.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

grant526

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 42
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 01:53:10 PM »
You shouldn't HAVE to go to cross over with your lift, but I woud highly suggest it.  I broke my stock j-arm steering at the Round Up last year and was extremely lucky my buddy had brought his old one for me as a back up.  I just installed crossover on mine, but haven't had a chance to drive it or wheel it.  I considered finding a non-power steering steering box, but decided I would want to convert to power steering at some point down the line anyway, so I did it now.  I needed to purchase an IFS box anyway. . .  It is possible to run a power steering box without the pump.  Just fill it with fluid and connect the hoses back to themselves.  That way it has fluid.  And you'll have the option of adding the pump later.  I'm glad I did!! The little I've moved it arround so far, its been really nice to have!!!!! : )  It was a really Bear to turn my 33x12.50s while stopped without it.  Especially when air down.  And the lincoln locked rear diff didn't help any either.  lol

Good Luck and keep us posted as to what you decide. 

You are running a dropped drag link though aren't you? 
'85 Standard Cab
4.5" HD SuperLift
Custom Winch bumper
33x12.50 Mud Rovers

Hilux92

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 89
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Speed Kills...Drive a Hilux and live forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 09:18:28 PM »
I had no powersteering in one of my trucks with front and rear lockers, it was hell.

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 35
  • Male Posts: 1,968
  • Member since Oct '07
  • BORN TO WHEEL, FORCED TO WORK...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 10:29:48 PM »
I have had manual steering with high steer so the answer to your question is yes.... however if you ever plan to lock your front end you will want power steering for sure... manual isnt that bad until your locked in the front then it really is hell
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com
www.myspace.com/choptechfab

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39494.0

Slolyfe

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -117
  • Male Posts: 2,048
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Heyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 12:22:00 AM »
I wheeled for 2 years with crossover and no power steering. The manual box is cheap and then your set to upgrade to power when you need to!
You'll never take me alive