Author Topic: Engine Swap Guys (new California referee stuff) Yay !  (Read 6664 times)

4RunnerChevy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 1,426
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
Engine Swap Guys (new California referee stuff) Yay !
« on: May 11, 2009, 07:50:20 PM »

Ok if you did your swap and need to see the referee.  The new rules :

This is information from the appointment guy at the BAR.

The referee no longer does the smog !   He does only the visual and equipment check (maybe computer check).  If that passes then you get your door tag.  Then all you do is smog it with your local smog place, before you register it.  My local smog guy happens to a very good friend so  :thumbs: to  the new rule.   My guess its from budget cuts, cause referees take a long time (4.5 hrs last time I went) I have an appointment under the new rules, with the ref. on the 22nd in San Jose (this is my second time). I'll keep you posted.

Tool Pimp

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,399
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
This is information from the appointment guy at the BAR.

:rofl2:  :drunk: :beer: :beerchug:

sorry I had to  :outtahere:

jmsdad

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -132
  • Male Posts: 201
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Damn...4.5hrs for the inspection?   My first appt at the ref in Modesto was about 1 hr long.  This was before the new rules went into effect.  My 2nd time (10 days ago) was about 10mins. 

BTW...sent you a PM.

4RunnerChevy [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
Damn...4.5hrs for the inspection?   My first appt at the ref in Modesto was about 1 hr long.  This was before the new rules went into effect.  My 2nd time (10 days ago) was about 10mins. 

BTW...sent you a PM.

Yeah I had Wyotech guys all over my truck and only failed cause of a non EO Vss from Downey.  This time will be much easier.

Got your PM

MC387

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Well that sucks to me, because you used to get that smog for free.  I understand the reasoning, why should the reff do something for free that they can make you pay to do.  I am just bummed because I was waithing to got to the ref to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.   Oh well so much for saving $40.

4RunnerChevy [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
That part does suck, cause even if my second is for free, I still have to pay a smog guy.  Time will  tell.  I am just glad to get away from text book refs. who know jack.

Jagdverband44

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 155
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
What would the process be if someone were to... just for speculation, put a Mercedes OM-617 Turbo Diesel into a First Gen pickup. Would it be black labeled or would it just have to pass numbers for that engine? I happened to have a low mileage (283,000) OM-617 sitting in my garage w/ a blown turbo. I wouldn't recommend doing that swap w/ a Mercedes diesel because they are VERY low quality and have reliability issues, especially with the low quality cranks and bearings used on the turbo bottom end. They make low torque as well.
I've got the most liftedest truck in town, that little jap truck done stand no chance gainst my Chevy. My Chevy gots a V8 more lift an bigger tires,and an exhaust system, whats yer tuna can got, a V4, and them tires look like they is offa Saturn Corulla. The dealer instulled my lift, so ya no its done right, you just try to foller me throo them rocks an see what a reel truck can do.

4RunnerChevy [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
I dunno about the diesel into a toy.  I think the rules say the type of fuel must have been offered for that year, so you might be in luck (Toyota did make a diesel in the first gens).  The diesel, of course, would have to be newer than the truck and the first Gen would have to be a diesel also :( .   Of course if the Toy was a diesel to begin with then it wouldn't matter what you swapped.  Do a little research, maybe give JTR (Jags that Run) in Livermore, they have been making swaps legal in California 4-ever.

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
You just get it registered as a diesel, but that could change if the proposed new smog laws get passed.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

4RunnerChevy [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
You just get it registered as a diesel, but that could change if the proposed new smog laws get passed.

The 50hp+ diesel laws have already passed !

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
I was referring to the proposed legislation to make EVERY vehicle in all of california have to meet smog restrictions.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

4RunnerChevy [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
Passed the referee.  He just went over what I fixed, the intake tube, and VSS.  He started it, to verify that the check engine light worked.  He had a stack of OEM (alldata) pics, and went one by one, verifying that everything looked correct.  He didn't catch the lengthened tube between the Y pipe and CAT, about 12 inches.

He then unlocked a special cabinet, and printed me a sticker.  I guess there are already thieves stealing the printers and special paper/stickers.  Not that it would matter, cause the info must be transmitted to the DMV.

Smog test is on Tuesday, I'll post results.

Goose

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 52
  • Male Posts: 1,029
  • Member since Mar '07
  • >>Goose maN<<
    • View Profile
This is good to hear since ill soon be doing a 3.4l swap into my 94 runner
Baller Status: Coming Soon To A Toyota Near You!...   :afro:

My Life Is A Very Complicated Drinking Game... -Me

90 ext. cab v6, SAS'd, 37's

94 4runner -work in progress

www.slagfactory.com

My Buildups:
'90 ext. cab
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=38260.new#new
'94 4Runner
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=53882.new#new

4RunnerChevy [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
This is good to hear since ill soon be doing a 3.4l swap into my 94 runner

If everything is there, then you should have no problem :)