Author Topic: I had a nice 82 yota until I found this 2 days ago.  (Read 1874 times)

crazykooter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -369
  • Male Posts: 1,418
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
I had a nice 82 yota until I found this 2 days ago.
« on: May 02, 2009, 09:25:41 AM »
New to marlin forums but seems there is a lot of a good guys on here with a ton of knownledge.  I can do anything myself if I try but exp always helps.   Anyhow was tryin to get my road noise down inside the cab when I found a bit of bondo on passanger side rocker panel.  I am one of those guys that cant stand it when things are done wrong and after I little bit of inspection I could tell it wasnt good.   
 Turned out this truck took a nice impact on RH rocker.  I have owned this thing for bout 8 yrs and have put maybe 4k miles on it.  Now its become my daily driver so I want to get it done right.  Here are a few pics of what I am talking bout.  This is after I removed nearly 2 inches of fiberglass resin and bondo.   I did order a replacement rocker panel for it but it wont be here for a week.  Then I need to find someone local to me that wouldnt mind throwing a bead on it once I get it cut out and fitted right. 

I def got my work cut out for me.  Its a shame to as I had a line on a set of 4" marlin rear leafs for 150 and a flex-a-lite fan for 100 bucks which is brand new.   Guess till I can sell off my gaming computer my wheelin isnt gonna happen this yr.

crazykooter [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
All I can say now is **********************************   I am pretty sure this truck has been rolled or laid on its side.  I decided to look into the right side more and above the door and roof are bondo HELL.  I pulled down the headliner and from my best guess there is 1/2" of bondo up top.  The gutter looks fine but im guessing its not original gutter or something because where the gutter meets the cab there was about the same amount of bondo.  I took it all off and discovered the part just inside where the gutter attaches to the roof is dented in about well 1/2".  Not sure if it was laied over on its side or what but I cant see myself spending the time to fix it. 
Ive looked really hard for a donor cab but there isnt one out there that I can find atm.  Gonna just spray paint the rocker panel blue and underside of gutter.  Maybe fill in some voids with silicon to help seal that side of truck until I can find a cab. 

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
where you located?? i have a 81 cab sittin in my yard i'll sell for $50

I'm in Arkansas
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

crazykooter [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
Im in northern CA so a little far for me to drive.  Thank you very much for the offer tho.  I love how the people around here help out when they can.

toyyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
I have super clean first gen parts in central calif. Road trip?

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
What part of nor cal are you in? I live in Grass Valley and off the top of my head can think of a few places where I might know of a straight 79-83 cab for pretty cheap if you can come get it...
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

crazykooter [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
I would love a good cab but after today I am not sure if I should even bother with a cab swap.  I did a lot of work on rocker panel today.  Took me a while to get it ok looking but once I get the new rocker panel I ordered in it should look good.  I figured since I couldnt find a cab I would just order this panel and it was only 30 bucks so why not.  Here is a few pics of what I did today. If the rain gutter and roof dont come out straight then I might not have a choice but to get a new cab.  I have a pretty good idea on how to fix it.  I will post pics tomorrow if it works.   Btw without a weld I had to do this the HARD way.  LOL
I am located in the bay area and I drove to sac on friday because I was told there was a 83 cab there I could get cheap. Its pretty sad when a Toyota ONLY wrecking yard doesnt know the difference between an 83 and an 84.  What a waste of a trip.  At least my new engine is runnin strong.  It was 82 miles each way and I used around half a tank of gas.  Not sure what MPG I get but I think its around 20.  Someday I need to find a tool that will tell me my actual mpg because with 31s my speedo is off by 3 mph at 35ish. 
I have super clean first gen parts in central calif. Road trip?
If this works out and I get body right I really need a few parts off a 1st gen.  Like the clam shell that cover ignition.  Ive be looking for one since mine fell apart 5 yrs ago. 
Sorry pics suck so bad but my phone doesnt like dark areas. Wait it just takes sucky pics.

For a rookie auto body guy without any of the correct tools I think it came out ok.
Sorry for long post its late im tired ! :)