Poll

For those who run/have run the new MTRs, what is your opion of them?

Best Tire Ever
Awesome, huge improvement over previous design
Comparable to old design
Almost as good as the original MTRs
They suck bawlz

Author Topic: New MTRs with Kevlar  (Read 55243 times)

86toyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 353
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
    • Montana 4x4 Association
Re: New MTRs with Kevlar
« Reply #150 on: Sep 09, 2010, 03:03:07 PM »
love that yotas bumper!!
T86OTA

NITE KRAWLERS

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -35
  • Male Posts: 970
  • Member since Oct '09
  • I KNOW A SWEENEY BRO!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: Sep 10, 2010, 10:35:02 PM »
They do great in the snow i think! I mean they just keep moving and moving in the deep snow! I love to mobb around in the snow and i seem to not really get stuck. We get some pretty g nar storms around here in SD and i go around and pull people out. Fullsize trucks wit plows on them and all. They think i won't pull they out but being locked front and rear and cases and 5.29's it gets it done. So far as snow i don't think ya could go wrong wit the mtr!! Check this vid out of my truck in the snow wit 37" MTRS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxmqvFAzTfI
« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2010, 11:03:18 PM by NITE KRAWLERS »
Sometimes life is a rock an we need a Yota to get over it an Chevy is like a rock so I'm over it!!!

NITE KRAWLERS

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: Sep 10, 2010, 11:10:09 PM »
Sometimes life is a rock an we need a Yota to get over it an Chevy is like a rock so I'm over it!!!

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: Sep 11, 2010, 12:22:26 AM »
:headscratch:  the question is whether or not the NEW mtr is good in snow, both vids seem to be toys shod in old mtr.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

pumkin toy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Do You Know A Sweeney Bro?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #154 on: Sep 11, 2010, 06:36:38 PM »
here is another vid in the snow with old MTR's  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHua--FVw2U
97 4runner Limited
4runner Build Thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54076.1410#lastPost

Started my own fab business recently check out the website  www.c4fabrication.com

also follow C4Fab on facebook for regular updates on projects. http://www.facebook.com/pages/C4-Fabrication/454285357953823

foxtrot89

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 68
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: Sep 11, 2010, 08:35:28 PM »
my old MT/R's held up great, on each one i have atleast 2 slices in the sidewall, and they haven't had any problems. I love the MT/R and was sad they went away witht he old design. my next set will probably be the new design just to test it. or maybe I will buy the old design since they are thinning out   :down:
1989 Toyota 4runner - 22RE 265xxx miles, 35"tires, 5.29 gears, aussie locker in the rear, marlin 1600 lb clutch, still starts and runs like a charm

REG535

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -287
  • Male Posts: 1,083
  • Member since Jul '07
  • Shes traveling to many celestial worlds
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #156 on: Sep 11, 2010, 11:35:21 PM »
enough about the old design lol. We need to hear more about the new mtr
85 Marble' Black and White (x-cab)
84 RedTurtle' Red with White Top added Marlin Turtle Shift Knob (All Stock) :silly:

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: Sep 12, 2010, 02:41:44 PM »
enough about the old design lol. We need to hear more about the new mtr

Haha yeah we all know the old MTRs kicked ass this post is about if the new ones live up to the reputation of the original design. :beerchug:

Speaking of the new MTRs, anyone run the Two Face 1.9 scale rc tires? :gap:

85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

Joey88RUNR

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Male Posts: 1,057
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: Sep 12, 2010, 08:28:30 PM »
How does a tire look homosexual?  That's one of the dumbest comments I've read on the board in a while.
I agree....I bought these tires based on performance and not so much looks. And am confident in this tire! Ive gotten plenty of complements on the trail and do very well.    just wish they made a 37 on a 15" wheel.
SaS'd Dual ultimate crawler w/5.29s Aussie front/detriot Rear, 35's Mtr's with kevlar

NITE KRAWLERS

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: Sep 12, 2010, 09:10:14 PM »
I agree....I bought these tires based on performance and not so much looks. And am confident in this tire! Ive gotten plenty of complements on the trail and do very well.    just wish they made a 37 on a 15" wheel.

Glad ya like them keep us posted man!! Ya never know i might buy them in 40deez!!

REG535

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -287
  • Male Posts: 1,083
  • Member since Jul '07
  • Shes traveling to many celestial worlds
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #160 on: Sep 12, 2010, 09:36:45 PM »
Just because a tyre does not look right or kool does not mean it is no good etc. Looks are out of the question, if they work well who cares.

In the XRRA the tube shark runs them and they peform just as good as the others in the events. So far I only saw one pop from them and that was the last race they did on them. All the rest of the tyre's Bfg's, etc, had been popped alot during the day.
85 Marble' Black and White (x-cab)
84 RedTurtle' Red with White Top added Marlin Turtle Shift Knob (All Stock) :silly:

NITE KRAWLERS

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: Sep 12, 2010, 09:49:40 PM »
Just because a tyre does not look right or kool does not mean it is no good etc. Looks are out of the question, if they work well who cares.

In the XRRA the tube shark runs them and they peform just as good as the others in the events. So far I only saw one pop from them and that was the last race they did on them. All the rest of the tyre's Bfg's, etc, had been popped alot during the day.

I know looks has nothing to do wit it man. Just something i look at is all! I hope they turn out to be a good tire cause i would buy them just cause i like the old ones so much and would like to stay wit the same tire but the look i would get over that if they get me over the gnar stuff! HA HA i did see them in person on a runner a few months ago and they do look better than a picture of them when ya can see the whole tire. But still don't change my mind on the look of it! Its just so hard for me to get over that they changed a real good tread pattern and ya can't get them any more. :rivers: Now thats gay right there!! LOL  No seriously i will be checking back at this when its time to get my 40deez and see. So good or bad news everyone post em up we need to hear!!

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: Sep 15, 2010, 02:50:53 AM »
Lets keep this post rolling with more posts from people that have run the new MTRs, and their experience with them.  :thumbs:  :beerchug:

I am particularly interested in how they do in granite and rocks, and how they perform in snow/slush.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

lownlinked85

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 408
  • Member since Mar '08
  • Yeah Baby!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: Nov 23, 2010, 10:23:16 AM »
where can you get those mtr's for r/c cars i would so run them on my slash those are sweet lol
Low locked and ready to rock

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: Nov 23, 2010, 12:08:18 PM »
http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/rc4z-t0024.htm

They are out of stock at the moment but if you search around RC stores, they are called the "Two Face".

I think they make 2.2s also, not sure though.

rage

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 26
  • Male Posts: 142
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: Dec 12, 2010, 08:37:26 PM »
I have 35-1250r15 in both new and old mtr. Off-road, all in all, they are 50-50. Old ones do a lil better in the snow, new do better in the mud. New ones do seem to "conform" MUCH better to rocks/edges at 5 psi. new ones have a much thicker sidewall though, so the "conforming" thing is odd. new ones also have a better bead, no rim slip like the old ones but also no wrinkle wall in double low like the old ones.  So I guess you could say it is an improvement off-road in some ways. On road is another story. The new ones are BY FAR better on the street: Quieter and smoother at all speeds. When on slick/frozen/icy roads i have to be in 4-hi at 10mph with the old ones, and the new ones i'm driving 45-50mph in 2-hi. I alwais hated the old mtr on the slick roads to go snow wheelin. But guess whats on my truck most of the time because of all around performance and a time tested reputation of getting me home......

my  :twocents:
-stephan

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: Dec 12, 2010, 08:42:09 PM »
I have 35-1250r15 in both new and old mtr. Off-road, all in all, they are 50-50. Old ones do a lil better in the snow, new do better in the mud. New ones do seem to "conform" MUCH better to rocks/edges at 5 psi. new ones have a much thicker sidewall though, so the "conforming" thing is odd. new ones also have a better bead, no rim slip like the old ones but also no wrinkle wall in double low like the old ones.  So I guess you could say it is an improvement off-road in some ways. On road is another story. The new ones are BY FAR better on the street: Quieter and smoother at all speeds. When on slick/frozen/icy roads i have to be in 4-hi at 10mph with the old ones, and the new ones i'm driving 45-50mph in 2-hi. I alwais hated the old mtr on the slick roads to go snow wheelin. But guess whats on my truck most of the time because of all around performance and a time tested reputation of getting me home......

my  :twocents:
-stephan

Good input and comparison, thanks for sharing. :beer:

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: Dec 13, 2010, 02:08:58 AM »
Agreed!  I don't directly sell tires at work yet, but I've had customers ask me about tires that are out front.  Most people really like the way these look, and I'm still getting close to 100% positive feedback, with only one person saying they wore out prematurely, but that was a fullsize dodge with a diesel.  I can honestly tell them that if I were to buy a set of mud tires right now, it'd be these!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

85yotapolo

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -12
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: Dec 13, 2010, 03:18:12 AM »
i got the goodyear mtr i love them,, do good on rocks and mud,,, havent tried snow hopefully soon tho

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: Dec 13, 2010, 07:05:12 AM »
only one person saying they wore out prematurely, but that was a fullsize dodge with a diesel.  
Couple of years ago a guy I worked with got rid of his Cummins-powered Dodge.
He said with that heavy engine, it chewed up front tires quickly.
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

rage

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 26
  • Male Posts: 142
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: Dec 13, 2010, 10:18:30 PM »
It seems the kevlars do not like dodge solid axles, or stock jeep solid axles. I alwais see them cupping off the fronts quick. The railroad guys(big ass fords) love them, and toyotas have 100% positive feedback. I must add to my first post tho, the new ones have a more worn look to them quicker. I don't know if they will last longer, nor if they have less tread, but they look more "worn" being the same age(DOT within 25 weeks of eachother, and same mileage).

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #171 on: Dec 13, 2010, 11:36:47 PM »
I went wheeling with a friend over the weekend who had a brand new set of the new MTR's and I was overall not impressed at all in the snow. Hes locked front and rear and had problems going anywhere that wasnt tracked out. I drove the truck and it just wouldnt cut out of ruts and it seemed to struggle when breaking trail.

compareably in all the same places I had 0 problems in my truck with the original Bfg Mud Terrains.

Personally I wouldnt buy a set of the new MTR's. :twocents:
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

Dingman.

• Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: Dec 14, 2010, 06:36:55 PM »
What was his psi?   And if they were new then they wernt broken in yet so probably didnt bag out too good.

I wouldnt mind tryin these out

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #173 on: Dec 14, 2010, 08:57:53 PM »
What was his psi?   And if they were new then they wernt broken in yet so probably didnt bag out too good.

I wouldnt mind tryin these out
they have a wheelin trip and couple hundred miles on them. initally started at 12 before we even hit any snow and stopped around 8 and it didnt make a whole lot of difference
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

1slowhatch

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: Feb 23, 2011, 05:01:30 PM »
i'll be trying a set of 35" mtrs with kevlar soon. gotta replace my 34" swampers.

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: Feb 23, 2011, 06:53:59 PM »
Be sure to let us know what you think!  :thumbs:

jrock

• Male Posts: 3,395
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: Feb 23, 2011, 07:11:48 PM »
I watched a TON of competitors at KOH with the "not street legals" in like a 42" and they were amazing. A friend has 37s and they kick butt! They are my next set of tires.

peacesells

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -17
  • Male Posts: 791
  • Member since Jul '08
  • motley lou
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: Feb 23, 2011, 07:57:57 PM »
From what ive seen since my last post, km2's work better than the new mtr's on the rocks, especially wet rock, but the mtr's blow km2's away in the snow. I did a trip with a yota on 33's and a nissan on 35's (new mtr) and my buddy on 37's in a 92 ex cab, my runner on 35's(km2's) and in wet snow 4-16in deep we were all over the place, the mtr's did much better. We were sliding around even in the tracks, could only break trail at idle There was a blazer on 38in swampers, he blew us all away...

A BFG rep that km2's are more of a porous "foamy" rubber, which is both softer, grippier, more resistant to chunking and lasts longer but it absorbs water and freezes making it hard to find traction in wet below freezing conditions. (You didnt hear that from me). Between that and the lack of lateral traction, km2's are the worst snow tire next to krawlers, so I cannot offer much more of a comparison other than snow = mtr better than km2's, dry or wet rock, bfg's own.
this my man lysol, fresh out the joint

83yota5960

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -20
  • Male Posts: 551
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: Feb 24, 2011, 02:22:23 AM »
a buddy of mine has the new MTR'S he love's them he had the old style before and said these do better in the snow,mud, and rocks. went snow wheelin with him and i was verry inpressed blazzed trails like nothing where i couldnt with pretty much ezact set up rigs. will be my next tire for sure.
83 short bed yota 35's 5.29's 4.7 f-150's arb front aussie locker rear high steer ifs rear axle
83 short bed yota 31 a/t mild lift welded ifs rear axle
99 audi A4 as my new daily driver.

yota18

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -61
  • Male Posts: 448
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: Jun 14, 2011, 09:20:54 PM »
im picking up a set on Friday 35/12.5/15 then doing a run on sat let you now what i think