Author Topic: Killer Toy Tops - Product Review (4Runner Soft Top)  (Read 23744 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Killer Toy Tops - Product Review (4Runner Soft Top)
« on: Apr 09, 2009, 09:01:20 PM »
www.killertoytops.com

I recently ordered a full top with front half windows that should arrive tomorrow.  Shawn has been easy to deal with and delivery time has been very close to what he told me it would be.  He expected the top to be delivered today, via Canada Post / Fed Ex, but it is scheduled for tomorrow.  I just got an email from him stating that he had checked the shipping status today and had been on the phone trying to figure out the reason for the delay.  I'm not really concerned about the minor delay, but I'm impressed that he cares this much about his customers.

Once I get the top I'll get some pictures and work on a better review.  I hope I'm as impressed and I expect to be.

:driving:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

John Doe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 469
  • Male Posts: 1,587
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • Bored In Iraq.
Sweet, I really want to hear how that top holds up.
My 85 4Runner build http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=46841.0

peacesells: "Its kinda fun tryin to avoid body damage, just like playing operation with different sound effects"

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Here's the first round of pictures.  It's dark outside so I'll have to get better pictures in the daylight at some point.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
So far I'm extremely impressed with the fit and finish of this product.  It fits tight and everything was marked making it simply to install.  Removing the sides and back will take a little getting used to, but I think it will become a quick and easy process after doing it a few times.  I have not had a chance to go for a drive, but I can't imaging that it isn't sealed as well as any competitors product.

I don't think I could justify the cost of a Canback and based on what I have seen I prefer the KTT.

Here is a quick comparison between the two:

The Canback sides rolls up making it possibly quicker and easier for storage.  The KTT sides zip off making it better for higher speeds, but they have to be stored in the back.  Also, the KTT appears to have better visibility due to the window configuration and also with the top removed.  The difference in price is about $400 from what I can tell and I can't see anything that could be significantly improved on.  I would love to see the products side by side.

John Doe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • Bored In Iraq.
I would love to see the products side by side.

X2

I like both products, I'm sure 1 or the other will end up on my 4Runner eventually.

peacesells: "Its kinda fun tryin to avoid body damage, just like playing operation with different sound effects"

Joey88RUNR

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Male Posts: 1,057
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
that top looks awesome, Im thinking about the bikini top, more in my price range :gap:
SaS'd Dual ultimate crawler w/5.29s Aussie front/detriot Rear, 35's Mtr's with kevlar

yota_krawler

• Cody Hunter
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 3,379
  • Member since Oct '06
  • proud parent!!!
    • View Profile
sweet, I like it. whats it made out of?
Tow Rig: 2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab: lift and tires.
Wheeler: 1985 Toyota 4runner Semi Built: project http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=89681.msg1013539#msg1013539

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,897
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
how does that compare to the soft tops from specialty tops but looks cool
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

87pickup

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 33
  • Male Posts: 719
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
Looks nice :beerchug:

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
sweet, I like it. whats it made out of?

Sunbrella Marine Fabrics

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
how does that compare to the soft tops from specialty tops but looks cool

Have not heard of them I guess.  :dunno:

yota_krawler

• Cody Hunter
  • Member since Oct '06
  • proud parent!!!
    • View Profile
so I was doin some thinking. I think I want to get one of these tops, put a pickup tailgate on my 4runner and get a actual truck camper shell and do away with the heavy ass tailgate and stock top.
Wheeler: 1985 Toyota 4runner Semi Built: project http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=89681.msg1013539#msg1013539

yota_krawler

• Cody Hunter
  • Member since Oct '06
  • proud parent!!!
    • View Profile
I was thinking about one of these when I had my top off. It was cold on the mornings but hot in the afternoon.

kiyul4130

• Brown Star Award
  • Turtle Points: 279
  • Male Posts: 3,265
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Turdburgalin since 1985
    • View Profile
that top is really nice and i like the window as well. i also think the one separating the cab and back seats is a good idea to.
-kiyul-
92 1 ton ex cab, marlin dual ultimates, 42 iroks, hydro assist, flat bellied, linked and more...
ECV 7-11

KYOTA FOREVER

unclejpl4x4

• Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
wow that's nice 
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
It's been out in the rain most of today and so far I have not seen a drop of water anywhere.  Considering the not normal amount of water, for Washington, that is coming down I figure it's a great test for it.  I sort of expected a little bit of leakage at the rear corners, but it's dry as a bone so far.

It really doesn't seem much louder inside driving, but you can really hear the rain hit the top, it almost sounds like being in a tent.

:driving:

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 2,653
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
bd I love the new top.  I can't wait to see it in person.  Its something I always wanted to get for one of my 4Runners but never made the commitment to buy one.  Let us all know what the road noise is like on the freeway when you get it out there.  Good addition to the Runner :thumbs:

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Here are some better pictures.

86turboyota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,079
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I was thinking about one of these when I had my top off. It was cold on the mornings but hot in the afternoon.
can you say air conditioning with the top off! 
My Build 1986 4runner SAS 36s etc
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22625.0

"Later, I learned that even though I engage 4WD my hubs are not automatically locking? Something about manual locking hubs I think. What's manual mean? I need to read a manual to lock them? lol  So I found these neat autolocking hubs and installed them. Sometimes they dont stay locked while I am backing up, but that's fine because I dont have a backup camera to see where Im going (like our RV) so I just simply dont ever back up"- BigMike

86turboyota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,079
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Here are some better pictures.
the top looks good, i really like it with the sides out of it.
My Build 1986 4runner SAS 36s etc
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22625.0

"Later, I learned that even though I engage 4WD my hubs are not automatically locking? Something about manual locking hubs I think. What's manual mean? I need to read a manual to lock them? lol  So I found these neat autolocking hubs and installed them. Sometimes they dont stay locked while I am backing up, but that's fine because I dont have a backup camera to see where Im going (like our RV) so I just simply dont ever back up"- BigMike

John Doe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • Bored In Iraq.
Looks great! I might just consider this over a Can-back.

About how much space do the sider take up? Can you use the soft rear window with a pick-up tail gate?

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Looks great! I might just consider this over a Can-back.

About how much space do the sider take up? Can you use the soft rear window with a pick-up tail gate?

Contact Shawn on the website, I think he makes them specifically for 4Runners, but might have truck options that are not shown.

John Doe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • Bored In Iraq.
I would still put it on a 4runner, just want to get rid of the bulky 4runner tail gate.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
I would still put it on a 4runner, just want to get rid of the bulky 4runner tail gate.

He has two designs, one uses the factory rear glass and the one I have that attaches with velcro on all four sides.  There is a metal strip that attaches to the four screws in the top of the tail gate that provides a velcro strip to seal the bottom.  It's a slick design.  You might be able to get adhesive velcro to stick to the tail gate and have him make the back window slightly taller.

By the way, you can see the sides and back rolled up in one of the pictures showing the shipped product.  It's in one picture and removed in the other so it's fairly small.

John Doe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • Bored In Iraq.
Thanks.