Poll

well what do you think

doom and gloom  get your boat redy
3 (13.6%)
ice cubes for everyone cheers!
19 (86.4%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: massive antarctic ice shelf set to break  (Read 17227 times)

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
Re: massive antarctic ice shelf set to break
« Reply #30 on: Apr 08, 2009, 05:19:50 PM »
I too hold a deadly amount of methane...pray I do not unloose it upon mankind!
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Male Posts: 1,241
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Apr 08, 2009, 05:33:25 PM »
I too hold a deadly amount of methane...pray I do not unloose it upon mankind!

If you think this is all a joke i will send you three powerpoints and some names of some books for you to read

BTW farts are composed of the following:
    * Nitrogen - 20% - 90%
    * Hydrogen - 0% - 50%
    * Carbon Dioxide - 10% - 30%
    * Oxygen - 0% - 10%
    * Methane - 0% - 10%

So you dont produce much methane...
Colorado...its where the cool kids live

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Apr 08, 2009, 06:02:02 PM »
If you think this is all a joke i will send you three powerpoints and some names of some books for you to read

* Nitrogen - 20% - 90%
    * Hydrogen - 0% - 50%
    * Oxygen - 0% - 10%
    * Methane - 0% - 10%

I'd be interested in reading the 3 powerpoints and get the names of the books you are suggesting.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Apr 08, 2009, 07:55:45 PM »
I'd be interested in reading the 3 powerpoints and get the names of the books you are suggesting.

shoot me your email and i get them to you

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Apr 08, 2009, 08:00:27 PM »
shoot me your email and i get them to you

Pm :)
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Apr 08, 2009, 08:40:20 PM »

* Nitrogen - 20% - 90%
    * Hydrogen - 0% - 50%
    * Oxygen - 0% - 10%
    * Methane - 0% - 10%

Do I think human caused global warming is a joke? You bet your ass I do. I think it's the most successful scam ever! If it weren't for the consequences of some of the proposed legislative "remedies"...I wouldn't give it a second thought.

The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Apr 08, 2009, 08:46:30 PM »

Do I think human caused global warming is a joke? You bet your ass I do. I think it's the most successful scam ever! If it weren't for the consequences of some of the proposed legislative "remedies"...I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Then continue to be a misinformed naive citizen

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Apr 08, 2009, 08:50:14 PM »
Then continue to be a misinformed naive citizen

OK...lemming boy!

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

79yota350

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Apr 08, 2009, 08:57:29 PM »
OK...lemming boy!

you can allways tell someone education level by how they respond in a "debate" ..... lol

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Apr 08, 2009, 09:01:20 PM »
you can allways tell someone education level by how they respond in a "debate" ..... lol

:dunno:

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Apr 08, 2009, 09:25:25 PM »
OK...lemming boy!

I am not a follower of a large group of people who believe this.

It is based off of scientific fact, if you try to prove me otherwise, please feel free to, you will fail. Why? because there is NO evidence that is solid or undeniable on your side of the fence. So please give me facts not lemmings...... and then I will believe you

94MtnYote

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Member since Oct '07
  • - 94 std cab-
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Apr 08, 2009, 09:30:28 PM »
 But why rely on science when denial is so much easier   :haha:
22RE .30 over, mild cam, K&N, LCE header, 2.25'' pipe, high flow cat, Magnaflow.
 Marlin 1200LB clutch

no substitute for 4wheel drive.

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Apr 08, 2009, 11:36:42 PM »

Because that is moronic and uneducated, that's like getting gasoline and not paying for it because it was easier :shake:

yjay

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 555
  • Member since Feb '09
  • SFA Station Wagon
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Apr 09, 2009, 06:25:46 AM »
You propose that CFC's are harmful to the atmosphere, and I would tend to agree with that. The thing that I do not agree with is the now accepted belief that co2 (human caused carbon emissions) have been proven to cause climate change, which I think that you also stated you don't agree with.This debate seems talking about 2 different things. Anyway, here's my take. I became skeptical about Al Gore's brand of global warming when he refused to debate anyone on the subject because he said the debate is over, and he still has not to this date. Debates should never be over, especially before they begin. That proves how closed minded HE is.(Plus he will have a major stake in carbon offset transfers) As for CFC's, I'm no expert on the subject, but I believe the U.S. banned the use of them as propellants quite some time ago, which was the main cause of their introduction into the atmosphere, and that seems cool.
22re Daily Driver
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=56568.0
91 4Runner-R151f, MC07,23 spline duals, Marlin 1200lb clutch, 85 Front axle, Leaf swap rear, Yukon 5.29's, BFG KM2 35's, Detroit, OBA, 280k

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Apr 09, 2009, 09:18:52 AM »
You propose that CFC's are harmful to the atmosphere, and I would tend to agree with that. The thing that I do not agree with is the now accepted belief that co2 (human caused carbon emissions) have been proven to cause climate change, which I think that you also stated you don't agree with.This debate seems talking about 2 different things. Anyway, here's my take. I became skeptical about Al Gore's brand of global warming when he refused to debate anyone on the subject because he said the debate is over, and he still has not to this date. Debates should never be over, especially before they begin. That proves how closed minded HE is.(Plus he will have a major stake in carbon offset transfers) As for CFC's, I'm no expert on the subject, but I believe the U.S. banned the use of them as propellants quite some time ago, which was the main cause of their introduction into the atmosphere, and that seems cool.

There are two different debates going on here- ozone depletion and global warming

Al Gore's "Brand" is taking charts from top scientists and flapping his yapper about them. The things he presents though are affecting the globe and it is our fault.

CFC's or chlorofluorocarbons were banned in the US not to long ago. The problem is not the fact they are still being used but the molecule Chlorine that is within that disrupts the formation of ozone or O3. These molecules have been scientifically proven to stay within the atmosphere for more than a century. Oxygen will bond with the chlorine many times over instead of bonding with two other oxygen to create ozone

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Apr 09, 2009, 10:24:35 AM »
At least we'll all be tan!

:gap: 

I think Abnormal is just looking forward to having some oceanfront property there in Az. 

Personally I think the whole idea of global warming is a crock of :pokinit:  Not necessarily the warming itself, but the idea that it is OUR fault as a human race.  Scientific extrapolation and study of the ice caps, geology, archeology, etc.  has shown us that the earth goes through its own warming and cooling cycles.  Could we have something to do with it?  Sure.  Is it our fault?  no.  The earth is a dynamic thing, constantly moving and changing.  The problem is, we've got it in our heads that if it changes from the way WE like it, its a bad thing, rather than just a normal cycle.  The earth has shown incredible resilience in recovering from catostrophic events, IE meteor impact in the yucatan, volcano eruptions, etc.  Global warming is nothing more than another attempt by man to control what he cannot, and for the rich to try to pocket more $$. 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Apr 09, 2009, 12:01:37 PM »
Whether I am an uneducated moron has nothing to do with my failure to fall into lock-step with a particular ideology.

It’s true...I don’t have as much formal education as I might like. But, perhaps I have little enough to allow me to still think for myself.

I very seldom...follow the crowd, unless I can prove to my satisfaction that the crowd is on the right track. I never act out of hysteria.

“Science” is never, ever served by hysteria or consensus...when “science” is founded on either, it usually produces error. Science has time and again “proven” certain things...until someone comes along, having learned something new and “proves” the earlier theory wrong. Take for example the argument on the age of Earth. At one time, within the last couple of centuries, Earth has gone from being 6000 years old to the current belief that it is 4.5-5 billion years old. As more is learned...that age will undoubtedly change. 200 years ago...plate tectonics was unheard of and was ridiculed at first, now, it is “fact”. My point is, something can only remain “proven” until/unless someone learns something new. I see very little in computer modeling that is science...unless the inputs into that model, and all reactions to those inputs, are without error...the outcome has no choice but to be flawed. For every new study that comes down the pike that "proves” global warming...there is another contradicting it. I tend to err on the side of reason, not panic. Science is...speculation, then proving or disproving that speculation. By it’s very nature, science is fallible. Scientist are human and so are also fallible. Plenty can be hypothesized, very little can actually be proven.

Now...as I said earlier, since Earth was created...the overall trend is toward cooling. Since man, and his immediate predecessors, has been on the planet...the climate, with few exceptions has remained temperate. True? The exceptions that I am aware of are a few brief, in geological terms, periods of extreme cooling. In the olden days (the 70's) “all” the scientists were convinced there was an impending ice age, some are now reviving those theories. What I find amusing is...the “remedies” for global cooling are exactly the same ones that are being touted as mankind’s only hope to avoid a global inferno.

Now...if I am wrong and Earth’s climate is getting warmer, although there is evidence that a brief warming trend in the 80's and 90's has ended, I “believe” that the universe we live in has more to do with that change (I believe it’s all cyclical) than anything man has done or could do. Volcanoes have more to do with “pollution” than man does. Differing levels of salinity in the oceans has more effect on climate than man does. Solar activity has a very strong cyclical effect on climate...much more than anything man has done.

While man has been on Earth, the times of hardship, disease and famine have for the most part been associated with cooler, wetter climates. The times of plenty and prosperity have been warmer climates. If the climate does warm, long term, who is to say it will be bad? A longer growing season in Canada might help feed more people. Warmth increases evaporation, which may bring more rain to areas of the world that need it now. More people die from exposure to cold every year than die from exposure to heat (not counting fires).

I’m more concerned about the probability of another attack on America than global warming. I’m more concerned about half of Cumbre Vieja sliding into the Atlantic and causing a huge tsunami. I’m more concerned about an object from space impacting the Earth. But...I’m not all that worried about any of those things. All in all, I’d rather live in a world that is a little warmer than under a glacier.

It’s not so much that I’m a global warming denier...more that I discount it’s  probability.

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Apr 09, 2009, 12:04:16 PM »
At least we'll all be tan!

:gap: 

I think Abnormal is just looking forward to having some oceanfront property there in Az. 

Nope...too many tourists! I like it when there's only 18 people per square mile.

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Apr 09, 2009, 05:33:14 PM »
This thread brings the funnay  :haha:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

94MtnYote

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Member since Oct '07
  • - 94 std cab-
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Apr 09, 2009, 11:29:08 PM »
Because that is moronic and uneducated, that's like getting gasoline and not paying for it because it was easier :shake:
Thats statement was satirical, lets not take our selves tooo seriously.  :therethere:
22RE .30 over, mild cam, K&N, LCE header, 2.25'' pipe, high flow cat, Magnaflow.
 Marlin 1200LB clutch

no substitute for 4wheel drive.

79yota350

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Apr 09, 2009, 11:49:29 PM »
text is ambiguous.  i could tell it was sarcastic.

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

unclejpl4x4 [OP]

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #53 on: Apr 10, 2009, 05:57:49 AM »
you know big fancy words makes your unclejs brain quiver then queef
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

unclejpl4x4 [OP]

• Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Turtle Points: 71
  • Male Posts: 3,362
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #55 on: Apr 10, 2009, 09:18:47 AM »
there is evidence of global warming followed by ice age time after time in the layers of the earth.  it has been happening before there was ever any kind of "human caused" elements around.  Humans might help it along, but it has happened and is going to happen regardless of what we do.  But then again, what would I know, I'm just a geologist that has to study this for a living :coffee:
ABD Motorsports

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
Placer County Crawlers - President 2011-2016
www.placercountycrawlers.com

Rubicon Trail Foundation - Property Committee member
Friends of Fordyce - Board Member
KK6QDW

unclejpl4x4 [OP]

• Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #56 on: Apr 10, 2009, 09:46:57 AM »
I have been looking for a chart   that shows  climate  Co  and temp levels over thousands of yrs    it shows  the peaks and averages   and also shows a major spike  since we  started the industry age. 

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Turtle Points: 71
  • Male Posts: 3,362
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #57 on: Apr 10, 2009, 09:52:25 AM »
here is a good recent article to read if you have the time. its pretty short.  i'll try to find a global temp chart also to post up.

http://www.iceagenow.com/US_Navy_Physicist_warns_of_crushing_temperatures_and_global_famine.htm
ABD Motorsports

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
Placer County Crawlers - President 2011-2016
www.placercountycrawlers.com

Rubicon Trail Foundation - Property Committee member
Friends of Fordyce - Board Member
KK6QDW

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #58 on: Apr 10, 2009, 09:54:20 AM »

You've gotta have a CRAP LOAD of faith to follow some chart that shows "thousands of years" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

unclejpl4x4 [OP]

• Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #59 on: Apr 10, 2009, 09:58:47 AM »
good read     so much conflicting  data   who's right :dunno:    so much info out there got find a good reliable source and not just  we are right / no we  :tantrum:  but i agree doing nothing  and being ignorant is not the way,  I ant no hippy   but i ant no pour oil down the rabbit hole kind guy eather     I am still undecided as who is right.

ya i don't like that one myself

But i don't know how accurate this are :dunno:     

this one is much better.
http://www.sahfos.ac.uk/Climate%20Encyclopaedia/images/img9.jpg
« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2009, 10:08:36 AM by unclejplx4 »