Author Topic: what is best to level out the front sagging springs?  (Read 1703 times)

drayday55

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 299
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
what is best to level out the front sagging springs?
« on: Mar 20, 2009, 11:08:30 PM »
hey guys.  I'm in the middle of a total overhaul on my newly acquired 85 cab, ill post some pics when all is done.
I know there is alot of info out there but i could not find a exact answer on what leaf i can add to the front factory pack to bring the truck up 2 to 3 inches. I don't want to use shackle's unless i have to, blocks are a big no, and i cannot afford new spring packs right now and when i can I'm going full tilt with 4 inch lift crossover etc..

but for now its gonna be a daily running 31's and it rubs as is.  I go to the local junk yards all of the time so getting a used pack off something else will be easy.  sale day i can get springs for 10 bucks.   

what I'm looking for is something like this ( 1998 2wd ranger rear spring  third leaf from top  and overload) or 2wd toyota rear spring leaf second one down)
thanks for the help.

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
Get an add-a-leaf for the rear & install it in the front.
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
New(read - used from a junkyard in good shape) springs.  If the originals are shot or have a negative curve to them(ouch!), all of the weight will be on the new leaf, which will collapse in a pretty short time.

drayday55 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
im thinking i should bite the bulit and buy a ome front spring kit.

drayday55 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
so i was looking at my front end today,  my springs are definitely reverse arching!!   

when i look at the alignment on the truck it looks as my passenger tire is doing this   /   
obviously not as exaggerated though the driver side seems normaly straight to me after owning a previous 84 that was stolen.
is this caused by the spring sagging?    i have not lifted the front up and checked for play  ( i hope there is none)
the truck tracks a little weird, does not shake other than needing tires balanced, 
what are the chances of bending the axle?   and what adjustment to camber is there on these axles?  i dint see how you could.  or is this common when knuckle bearings go bad?
thanks again

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
sounds like bad knuckle (trunion) bearings.
as for the sag, build a custom pack with a few leafs from a rear leaf pack.
use the stock main leaf from the front, and try a few middle leafs from another rear pack.

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
I missed it if you said it, but are the springs stock?  If so, they will have a little negative arch.  Ditto on swapping out leafs from other packs, just don't try getting too much arch with the stock mains.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

drayday55 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
good info thanks

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Go by a wrecking yard and pick up set of Chevy 58" leaf springs, and get two longer leaf spring center pin bolts, or 2sets of leaf springs and 4 pin bolts to do both front and rear.  Take the main leaves from the Chevy packs and cut the eyes off(maybe a little more) and install them just below the Toyota mains, then add the next Chevy leaf(longest) where it fits amongst the Toyota leaves, and assemble the rest of the leaf pack.  You will get about 1" of lift from the thickness of the 2 springs themselves, and about 1000-1200lbs of spring support(per pair of leaf springs) from the two additional springs, w/o stiffening the ride.  The cost to redo the 4 leave springs should be about $75-100, depending on how much the leave springs cost you, the center pins shouldn't be more than $15 for four.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

drayday55 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
thanks a bunch guys!  ill most likley do it myself then, i just need to finish the body work and start driving it for a little first