Author Topic: Comparison Marlin front springs/AllPro front springs  (Read 6048 times)

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
Comparison Marlin front springs/AllPro front springs
« on: Oct 31, 2004, 12:12:43 PM »
 ???Ok so Marlin has his springs out (front 47"  center pin 1.5" forward of stock  pin to front eye 22")
 ???Then theres the All Pro stuff    (front 47"   center pin 1" forward of stock   pin to front eye 21.5")
Am I right? Is there something wrong with someones math here?  Or is someone mistaken is how far forward the center pin is?
Also All Pro's springs travel about 19"s and they just came out with new ones that will travel 24"s  what do Marlin's do?
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

YotaYota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 12
  • Male Posts: 182
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Cuttin.....Weldin.....Grindin.....
    • View Profile
all pro's springs bend and twist, my passenger side is slightly twisted, theres a few others who can tell you that the all pro's bend, im not sure about the 24" travel version, but my 19" w/ 5" of lift did. dont have any info on the marlin springs. jus my  :twocents:
85' Yota P/U, 37X12.50X17 BFG MT's on Steelys, Duel Cases, (2.28X4.7), V6 3rds Locked and Loaded W/ 4.88's, AllPro Rear Disk Brakes, Profeilds, All-Pro Front Sus., 4-Link w/ Sway-A-Way Air Shox, Flat Belly

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
I dont have any numbers with me, but its no suprise. We designed our springs to be longer and also move the axle forward just a bit more than compared to All Pro's springs. I think the idea was to use stronger/better spring metal with a better heat treat, but because this stronger metal is a bit stiffer, we made the springs a bit longer to make it flex just as well, if not better, than All Pro's.

BTW, I will be running a set of our front spring as soon as I get some other parts installed, and I will ramp my truck and let you guys know how it goes.. But this might not be for another month or so :rivers:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
BigMike, what kind of rear springs are you gonna use?  You gonna go with the MC rears also?  speaking of the ramp, what does Marlin's truck ramp at?  My truck on a 30 degree ramp and a 114 inch wheel base scores a 840 or so.  But the guys doing the scoring were drunk so it might be off a little.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
BigMike, what kind of rear springs are you gonna use?

Well I've always been partial to Kevin and Randy over at A.O.R. because even through I'm just a kid they have always treated me very well and I have alot of respect for AOR. So I've always wanted to use their Orbit Eyes if I ever were to get a rig, I for shure as hell wouldnt run All Poo springs because I hate Jon and the attitude he's got, so back in time when I would daydream about owning a truck, it would be nothing but AOR springs..

Then when I got a rig this summer, I was thinking about going to the Dusy/Ershim trail in late Aug so I needed some springs FAST. And at the time the only springs we had in stock were fronts. So of course I called up Randy and he told me he could *try* to get me some by the end of Aug, but we know how that goes. They've had my rear springs finished for some time now, but they are waiting for the machinist to finish the orbit eyes. Apparently their previous machinist had a heart attack and pass away :sad2: so they have been having a hard time getting orders finished. But its ok for me of course because Im still not excatly ready for springs, but they've already built 'em so Im gonna run 'em.

If we had :turtle: springs at the time I would have just gone all around :turtle: springs.

speaking of the ramp, what does Marlin's truck ramp at? My truck on a 30 degree ramp and a 114 inch wheel base scores a 840 or so. But the guys doing the scoring were drunk so it might be off a little.

Oh man you dont want to know.. He's running some really old Alcan springs front and rear, and despite that, his truck has no flex at all. Its heavy and it was built back in the 80s and 90s before all of the trick suspension products came out.

Im sure we are going to change his springs to our springs pretty soon, after I swap in his 3RZ for him this winter. :thumbs:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
keep me posted Mike,  i need some front springs, i was looking at some 3" downey springs, but will  get Marlins if i can,  see my bumper, its heavy :smack:  dont have to worry about deer tho :slap:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
does my truck flex better than Marlins???  i doubt it  my home breww springs
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
dont you love my backyard :drool:

Marketing

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -30
  • Male Posts: 1,639
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
???Ok so Marlin has his springs out (front 47"  center pin 1.5" forward of stock  pin to front eye 22")
 ???Then theres the All Pro stuff    (front 47"   center pin 1" forward of stock   pin to front eye 21.5")
Am I right? Is there something wrong with someones math here?  Or is someone mistaken is how far forward the center pin is?
Also All Pro's springs travel about 19"s and they just came out with new ones that will travel 24"s  what do Marlin's do?

Marlin's 47" springs are 47" long. AP's 47" springs are 46.5"

Both springs have the pin 1" forward of stock. Both need a front hanger to be 1.5" forward of stock.

AP springs are made in Mexico.

Marlin's current springs are made in the USA.

AP springs used to be made in the USA, but then they went cheap in order to sell more volume and make a better markup. You will hear some people say hey these 4 years old AP springs are working great (USA made springs). Then you will here others say hey these new AP springs are not holding their lift, they are bending and loosing lift (Mexico made).  That's the newer, cheaper springs. Sure they cost less but they don't hold up as well as a quality made spring.

As for 24" of travel. I don't believe it. Even double orbit eye springs can't get that kind of flex. The only way to get that kind of flex is to make them really thin and soft. There is no way a spring that thin will hold up to the weight of a pickup or 4Runner. Even on a buggy I bet they will bend and sag.

Remember when the Profields came out? Just cause you print something that says this or that does not make it true. They said the Profield was the strongest Birfield ever made. Talk with someone that ran them, most will tell you they are worse than stock! They sold hundreds of those junkfields and are still selling them today.

Here is what they say on their web site:
"Profields start as heavy duty stock replacement birfield joints. They are then subjected to an advanced heat treating/cryogenic freezing process by Jack Graef of CTM Racing. According to Jack, Profields are the best aftermarket "super birf" on the market today. Tested on the toughest rock crawling trails in the western United States, these are a significant upgrade from stock...at an unheard of price!"

The best on the market? Total bull crap!  Statements like this have flushed their reputation down the toilet!

waskillywabbit

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 133
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Tuscaloosa, AL
    • View Profile
    • WabFab Off -Road LLC
So when is the free swap out gonna happen...my AP springs made in Mexico for the USA made Marlin ones?  I'll pay shipping!
 :gap:  :hammerhead:

:yupyup:

TacoRunner [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
well I have the AP stuff now,(front&back) :dunno: I've been running it for about 3 1/2 years and they still have there lift so I guess I'am doing alright.
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Ok, but what about those of us who don't wanna have to relocate anything.  I used to wanna run the Northwest off road springs cause I heard of too many people having problems with Downey, plus those guys have a shitty attitude and a horrible way of dealing with cutomers over the phone.  I really don't wheel too hard and would like to stick to stock length springs but would still like to get as much flex as possible on a budget.  Suggestions?  Nate
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!