Author Topic: i got my marlin crawler rock sliders!! i got some questions  (Read 3670 times)

spaded1

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -7
  • Member since Jan '09
  • 85 toyota pickup EFI, bobbed bed 12 inches, 33'
    • View Profile
 :yesnod:
so i got my sliders in today. and im wondering if i need to trim some of the cab to be able to install them flush with the frame??

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
just the pinch weld. I just BFHd the whole thing over.

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 35
  • Male Posts: 1,968
  • Member since Oct '07
  • BORN TO WHEEL, FORCED TO WORK...
    • View Profile
I did the same.... it looks cleaner if you just make some cuts and bend up where you need to but I like doing things easy!
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com
www.myspace.com/choptechfab

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39494.0

spaded1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
well ive got a BFH, and i like doing things easy too

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 35
  • Male Posts: 1,968
  • Member since Oct '07
  • BORN TO WHEEL, FORCED TO WORK...
    • View Profile
well ive got a BFH, and i like doing things easy too
well hell ya man your set!
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com
www.myspace.com/choptechfab

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39494.0

Mnmstoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 230
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Mike's 80Toy
    • View Profile
That's what I did. Not Marlin sliders....I built my own.
I used a cut off wheel cut the pinch weld/lip and folded over. I don't have a body lift so trying to get the (what I call) the out riggers to sit in the middle of the chassis. That is what I had to do.
and the out come.

Mike

BTW I can view your pics.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Before welding on the sliders, you will want to replace the body mounts.  The cab is intended to move a little to absorb some of the jarring, the 20+yr old body mounts are well worn by now and will allow the cab to move a lot more than intended.  W/the sliders close to the cab, the cab will rattle on the sliders when ever you hit the slightest bump, or turns at speed where the cab will roll from the forces of gravity.  Even w/fresh body mounts you will want to leave about a 1/4" of space between the cab and slider.

The reason for swapping the body mounts out before you have the sliders welded on, is that you need to lift/support the cab from the body seam to install the new body mounts.  New Energy suspension body mounts, only $58 at Summit.  You can replace them later, but it will be easier to do it w/the sliders still off.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

87pickup

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 33
  • Male Posts: 719
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
I used a 4" grinder with a new flapper wheel to radius the pinch weld where the legs of my sliders go. Mine are tight to the pinch weld and i havent heard and rattling between the body and sliders as of yet.

Dr.Maxwe001

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Male Posts: 627
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I cut some of the body away from my marlin sliders its no big deal I do know that the little triangle gussets sit at 10 and 2 on the frame to leg also make sure you can still open your door freely with them installed I have mine sitting at a 20* angle gives good ground clearance and also still allows me to use the doors with no hitting or binding
IF YOUR LOOKING OUT THE FRONT OF YOUR 4X4 AND YOU CANT SEE THEN JUST TURN ON YOUR WIPERS. BUT THEN THINGS GET ALL MESSED UP LIKE IN LIFE.

WHEN YOU GET TO THE END OF YOUR ROPE JUST THINK THAT ALONG TIME AGO  YOU WERE THE FASTEST LITTLE SWIMMER TO THE EGG

08:55:22 PM BeccaLoo24 – i like to screw things

$99 scratch and dent drill press has drilled more holes than Ron Jeremy.

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48342.0

[img]http://bo

spaded1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
I cut some of the body away from my marlin sliders its no big deal I do know that the little triangle gussets sit at 10 and 2 on the frame to leg also make sure you can still open your door freely with them installed I have mine sitting at a 20* angle gives good ground clearance and also still allows me to use the doors with no hitting or binding

that is exactly what i want to do,, thanks everybody!!

Dr.Maxwe001

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
thats our Job to help others out with there projects   :turtle: :turtle: :turtle:
IF YOUR LOOKING OUT THE FRONT OF YOUR 4X4 AND YOU CANT SEE THEN JUST TURN ON YOUR WIPERS. BUT THEN THINGS GET ALL MESSED UP LIKE IN LIFE.

WHEN YOU GET TO THE END OF YOUR ROPE JUST THINK THAT ALONG TIME AGO  YOU WERE THE FASTEST LITTLE SWIMMER TO THE EGG

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
That's what I did. Not Marlin sliders....I built my own.
I used a cut off wheel cut the pinch weld/lip and folded over.

Do you work in marketing?  You talk about what you did to the pinch weld, but your picture only shows the sliders that are blocking the work you did on the pinch weld.  Reminds me of management metrics at work where the data doesn't really support any rational conclusions.

:beerchug:

Just messing with you.  :biggthumpup:

« Last Edit: Feb 17, 2009, 05:41:49 PM by blackdiamond »
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Dr.Maxwe001

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
:haha: I was gona say damn thats kinda rude to say such nice things when he gave such a nice pict and was so helpful  but all is good in the marlin world   :sleepy:   :turtle: :turtle: :turtle:

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
:haha: I was gona say damn thats kinda rude to say such nice things when he gave such a nice pict and was so helpful  but all is good in the marlin world   :sleepy:   :turtle: :turtle: :turtle:

I work for the government so sometimes I can't hold my humor back, it's my defense mechanism.  I'll post some of the things I witness at work in the jokes thread.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

NCK4L

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 522
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
just thought id tell ya i didnt cut my pinch weld at all and havent had a problem yet .i also made my own gussets that extend from the frame pretty far out on to the legs of the slider for a little more support

Mnmstoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 230
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Mike's 80Toy
    • View Profile
Do you work in marketing?  You talk about what you did to the pinch weld, but your picture only shows the sliders that are blocking the work you did on the pinch weld.  Reminds me of management metrics at work where the data doesn't really support any rational conclusions.

:beerchug:

Just messing with you.  :biggthumpup:

no marketing here. lol
My focus was more on having to cut the pinch weld so that the out riggers/legs were more center on the chassis.
Everyone else prior to my post pretty much summed it up on having to cut/BFH the pinch weld.
I thought I would be kind enough to show a pic. after the install.
It's all good.
Mike

spaded1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
so i installed them yesterday.. and i decided to put them flat instead of at a 20 degree angle. how do you think that will do???

Dr.Maxwe001

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
you will loose ground clearance    :turtle: :turtle: :turtle:

spaded1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
i actually didnt lose any,, its exactly the same

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Uhhh no its not....if they are flat you are losing clearance..... out at the edge of the slider...... probably a FEW inches

it stays the same near the legs...flat or not
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

spaded1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
for one, im talking about they arent lower than my transfer case. and they are completly even with the bottom of the frame, if i did lose ground clearance, its only a 1/16 of an inch

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
The clearance that is being referred too is that near the doors.  Sliders that are angle up give you a little more clearance than flat ones do when maneuvering around boulders on the trail. 

It is basically a personal preference, and has more to do w/what you want your sliders for, i.e, simple protection, or for footing.  I use mine as steps as well, so having them flat works better for me than if they were slanted.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

spaded1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
The clearance that is being referred too is that near the doors.  Sliders that are angle up give you a little more clearance than flat ones do when maneuvering around boulders on the trail. 

It is basically a personal preference, and has more to do w/what you want your sliders for, i.e, simple protection, or for footing.  I use mine as steps as well, so having them flat works better for me than if they were slanted.

looking at it like that,, yea i guess i did lose some ground clearance.. but that is why i mounted them flat as well,, so i can use them as a step into the bed.  ill post some pics and see what you guys think