Author Topic: 2008 Tax Return  (Read 5209 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,059
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
2008 Tax Return
« on: Jan 18, 2009, 05:41:26 PM »
So how much business is Marlin Crawler going to see from 2008 Tax Refunds?

It's sad, but this year I'm excited about only owing $355.  I input everything in Turbo Tax today and was please to see a number much lower than the $2,500 I had calculated using the online tax tables last week.  I knew my calculation wasn't exact, but I didn't expect the difference to be that much.

I guess the blessing is that the reason for owing taxes is that I worked a ton of overtime at the beginning of last year.  This year I expect to work even more.  The money is nice, but I had overtime so...

:rivers: and  :party:

I'm planning to purchase a low budget winch, Longfield Hub Gear and a bikini top for my Moab trip this year, but it won't be from a tax refund.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 Tax Return
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2009, 05:47:24 PM »
we are expecting about 5k in returns, marlin will get about 500, the rest and those marlin parts will go to fixing the runner after its fatal "incident"

Joey88RUNR

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Male Posts: 1,057
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2009, 07:50:09 PM »
Who knows what ill get back....i have been dreaming of a Marlin front bumper though :clap:
SaS'd Dual ultimate crawler w/5.29s Aussie front/detriot Rear, 35's Mtr's with kevlar

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,897
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2009, 07:59:49 PM »
i did my tax electronicly and im getting back a hole $300 total for both state and fed
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

peacesells

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -17
  • Male Posts: 791
  • Member since Jul '08
  • motley lou
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2009, 08:10:40 PM »
I didnt pay taxes until I started working for the government this month(shh) but marlin sees about $3000 a year from me. Im sure he appreciates it too...
this my man lysol, fresh out the joint

snowshoebrue

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 447
  • Male Posts: 1,152
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2009, 08:31:15 PM »
We haven't done ours yet, my company usually waits till feb jan 31 send out w2's.  We decided that we each get 10% to spend on whatever we want and the rest goes to savings and paying off bills.  hopefully since we bought the house in july we will get a good return

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2009, 08:45:00 PM »
My wife and I are planning a trip to Dubai later in the year to visit my sister, brother-in-law and new niece or nephew and have saved enough for airline tickets and were hopeful that another "pot" of money could be used for the trip itself.  I was worried that the majority of it would be going for taxes.  I don't know how much a trip to Dubai via London will cost, but I'm figuring that it won't be cheap.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2009, 09:07:32 PM »
i should be getting back about $1200, most of which will be going toward a new tranny for my ford  :(

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1346
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2009, 09:49:22 PM »
As soon as I get my W2's, we will know, but my wife already has given me the GREENLIGHT for a new lens for my camera.   :willynilly:  It's gonna be about $700.  :yikes:  Damn digital SLR's.  And a big chunk is going to Disneyland in March, but also, I might be slipping a few $$'s to Marlin when I'm in Fresno at the same time.  :thumbs:  Besides those items, I'm eyeballing a new tool box,  :shhh: and the rest is going into our money market for whatever comes up, like deck repair!  We usually get about $5000 back federally, but state we might see less than $10, that's if the state doesn't make us pay like I feel they are gonna do!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2009, 10:16:29 PM »
i should be getting back about $3200, $1000 will pay off debt, and another $1000 will be spent on the crawler between marlins seals and trunion bearing upgrade and bobby longs hub gears and output shaft.   and the rest will be put in savings

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2009, 09:28:55 AM »
No clue what we'll be getting back, should be interesting since we bought a house last year. I purchased my Dodge and my wifes Mazda along with the most important of all!  our daughter was born on Dec 17th..

Everyone at work keeps telling me we're going to get a BIG tax return but I doubt it....

We both also claimed single - 0  last year so I was getting a ton taken out of my check... hopefully that helps in getting more money back.

I'm planning on purchasing a few small things to get my project started a bit further but we'll probably keep most of it in the bank because my wifes going back to school in August to finish our her Radiology program.
R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2009, 10:25:05 AM »
No clue what we'll be getting back, should be interesting since we bought a house last year. I purchased my Dodge and my wifes Mazda along with the most important of all!  our daughter was born on Dec 17th..

Everyone at work keeps telling me we're going to get a BIG tax return but I doubt it....

We both also claimed single - 0  last year so I was getting a ton taken out of my check... hopefully that helps in getting more money back.

I'm planning on purchasing a few small things to get my project started a bit further but we'll probably keep most of it in the bank because my wifes going back to school in August to finish our her Radiology program.

From my experience, purchasing a house helped because you can deduct the loan interest.  I've never had enough other expenses to benefit.  Since your daughter was born at the end of the year you should get maximum reward, perfect timing.  You can deduct the auto purchase tax on top of the basic sales tax deduction so that should help a little as well.  I would expect you to get a nice refund unless you had a lot of overtime.

I may be way off base, but I thought I heard that you were not allowed to file as single if you were married?  It might be worth checking in case you ever got audited.  I claim married 0.

I hope you get a ton of gold!

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2009, 07:21:40 PM »
You can file married, but filing single.  But filing married & jointly, you get a better return. 

I never get to deduct my interest from my house payments, since I got a really low rate, and my payments are really stupid low!  $695 with property taxes and ins!!!  :biggthumpup:  My actual house payment is like $525, with a 5% int. rate.  The standard deductions is more than our int. deductions!  So we are able to just go 1040 and file online with direct deposit, and usually within 2 weeks it's in our account!  :yesnod:

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2009, 07:08:13 AM »
I ain't got my stinkin W-2 yet :tantrum:

Matt and I aren't sure how we're going to file.  I'm going to fill out the forms both "married, filing jointly" and "married, filing separately" and see which way works best to benefit us.  :ack:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2009, 11:34:18 AM »
I ain't got my stinkin W-2 yet :tantrum:

Matt and I aren't sure how we're going to file.  I'm going to fill out the forms both "married, filing jointly" and "married, filing separately" and see which way works best to benefit us.  :ack:

The tables for jointly vs. separately appear different, but should yield identical results.  The tax brackets are lower for filing seperately because the total income is higher.  The only advantage that I know of for filing jointly is that you can deduct student loan interest.   I don't think that filing seperately is ever an advantage unless you're legally seperated.  It's easy enough to run the numbers and find out for sure.

brockbuilt85

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 362
  • Male Posts: 1,715
  • Member since Oct '08
  • I do all my own stunts
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2009, 11:42:08 AM »
you can deduct student loan interest no matter what from  what i understand
When in doubt, skinny pedal!
Turd Box Build:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=50894.0

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2009, 11:49:16 AM »

I think you can if you file single or married jointly, but the last time I looked at this you couldn't if you filed married seperately.  It didn't really make sense other than it might be a way to encourage family values.  My wife's student loans are paid off and mine are being paid by the government so I can't claim the interest, but I think I'm above the income cap for the deduction anyways.

AaronB

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 287
  • Male Posts: 2,452
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Wish I Was Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #17 on: Jan 21, 2009, 11:59:23 AM »
im just hoping i dont have to pay again.
"Never make your passion your occupation. it will loose it's luster and become work. that's why i never wanted to become a gynecologist!"

I also taught him how to put in 5min of hard work and then spend 15min staring and admiring what you have done...

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2009, 07:53:02 PM »

Yea you can but unless you spent ALOT of money on schooling it really isn't worth it. When I was in college I used everything as a deduction, tuition, parking fee's, books.. everything... I can't recall the amount.. I want to say it was atleast $2000-3000 .. I only saw a difference of $25 on my return  :shake:   so it really wasn't even worth it.

Right now we're paying around $1000 just in interest on our house since we just purchased it.. hoping that works in my favor.

I have a question for all of you that have someone else do your tax's.
We typically do our own because we don't do a long form or anything so it's super easy to just save the cash and do it yourself.. but last year we decided to have someone do it because my wife goofed up on her W4's and was claiming 1 which almost caused us to pay...

Anyways...

For those who have someone do it, do they take the time to go through everything to ensure your getting the most back possible?  Do they ask you specific questions to ensure your getting as many deductions as you can? 

Because when we did ours last year.. we were in and out in like 5 minutes.. it was almost like she didn't really care and just wanted to get it done quick. I'm wondering if someone would have taken the time to work on it a bit we could have actually gotten a decent return back.

I dunno how it all works.. besides doing the basic's.

R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 1,876
  • Member since Feb '07
  • F***in catalina wine mixer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2009, 09:28:08 PM »
im doing mine right now. looks like im getting $1350 from the feds and like 400 from cal
1973 HILUX build up-------> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.new#new

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2009, 02:41:28 AM »
Because when we did ours last year.. we were in and out in like 5 minutes.. it was almost like she didn't really care and just wanted to get it done quick. I'm wondering if someone would have taken the time to work on it a bit we could have actually gotten a decent return back.

I dunno how it all works.. besides doing the basic's.

You can file an amendment and get a better return. I'd check into an independant CPA/Tax person, they will often take some extra time, as their buisness is based on building relationships, and they want you as a return customer. Places like H&R Block, could care less. They make their money on the quantity (rather than quality) model.

I'd also ask around. You can find some very good tax folks out there. There are some that border on shady, but they'll maximize your return. Just don't push too hard or you'll find yourself with an audit. Those suck.

Erik
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jan 24, 2009, 09:49:00 AM »
Yea you can but unless you spent ALOT of money on schooling it really isn't worth it. When I was in college I used everything as a deduction, tuition, parking fee's, books.. everything... I can't recall the amount.. I want to say it was atleast $2000-3000 .. I only saw a difference of $25 on my return  :shake:   so it really wasn't even worth it.

A deduction is a deduction so $1,000 from student loan interest will be the same as $1,000 from home loan interest when it comes to your taxes due.  There are maximum amounts of student loan interest that can be deducted, but the portion that you can deduct is 1 for 1 with every other deduction.  Every deduction reduces your AGI and your taxes are based on that number.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jan 24, 2009, 10:08:21 PM »
Shamb, have you tried using a program like turbo tax?  Personally I don't know a whole lot about it, but my dad uses it every year, and really likes it.  From what I understand, it covers a lot of bases, and asks you questions throughout, to help you with deductions.  :dunno: what any one elses experiences are with it, but it works well for my dad.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jan 25, 2009, 07:49:20 AM »
Shamb, have you tried using a program like turbo tax?  Personally I don't know a whole lot about it, but my dad uses it every year, and really likes it.  From what I understand, it covers a lot of bases, and asks you questions throughout, to help you with deductions.  :dunno: what any one elses experiences are with it, but it works well for my dad.

I always use Turbo Tax.  Tax Cut is very similar.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jan 26, 2009, 09:30:59 PM »
We use H&R Block online.  And its free and they transport last years info over too!  We are getting back $5500+ federal, and $90 from state. 

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #25 on: Jan 27, 2009, 05:13:09 PM »
getting back 1380 from federal, no state tax to worry about. 400 is goin to pay off my credit card, rest is probably goin towards an xd45 pistol and a 4" exhaust for the yukon.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jan 27, 2009, 05:40:09 PM »
rest is probably goin towards an xd45 pistol

If I got that much back, that's in my top 3 choices to buy!  I'm leaning toward an xd40, s&w m&p or walther p99.  All are excellent tools, I just need to get them all in my hands and see which fits me best!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Tice

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 881
  • Member since Feb '05
  • I named my son Wheeler!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jan 27, 2009, 06:05:56 PM »
Haven't finished mine, but if I do it right I will only owe about 400 to fed and state!!!! :eyebrow:
I don't need a winch, I wheel a TOYOTA!!!!!!!

www.wheelingarizona.com

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jan 28, 2009, 05:22:04 PM »
and a 4" exhaust for the yukon.

por que?

The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #29 on: Jan 28, 2009, 05:41:21 PM »
turbo diesel 6.5L in the yukon, more free flowing and the current (stock) exhaust is getting plugged up pretty bad.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech