Author Topic: Genealogy/family trees.  (Read 8034 times)

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Genealogy/family trees.
« on: Jan 08, 2009, 08:42:06 PM »
So, my wife has found both her grandmothers bibles and it had a bunch of family names and dates.  So, she started doing some research online.  She has basically stopped at the 1600's.  That's how far she has researched.  Which is quite impressive.  Including a family member that married Jacob Meeker, who was Ezra Meeker's father.  (Google Ezra Meeker!)  One of the founding fathers of Washington state.  So, its been a really cool experience to see the process she is going through to find family members and their lineage.  She's been on this for the last week and a half non stop.  And she's started to get into mine to some degree.  But most of mine stops at Ellis Island.  So, we have to find some connections in Switzerland to help give us a lead on where to look.  We will pay a subscription to Ancestry.com when we get it all narrowed down. 

So, how far have you gone into your genealogy?  Any cool people in your history? 
I have a very small connection to Frank and Jesse James!!  8)

If you have a family member go through Ellis Island, you can look them up.  It's really awesome to see the scanned page, of their info, when they arrived in America. 

Any programs out there to help translate languages, like German?  Cause alot of the pages on my family are in German, and this is the only time I wish I took German in HS.

Post up, let's see how many people know their family trees!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Doof

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,205
  • Member since Apr '07
  • establised summer of 89
    • View Profile
Re: Genealogy/family trees.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2009, 08:47:15 PM »
my dad traced ours way way back to medieval days and what not.... he also found that were related eli whitney

pretty snazzy i guess   :dunno:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2009, 08:48:45 PM »
On my fathers side we have the Hershey (chocolate) in our blood, on my mothers side, well no one special, just Daniel Boone somewhere in there. :gap:

I'm sure there are a bunch of people here (Morman) that have traced themselves to the beginning of time.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2009, 08:49:02 PM »
my dad traced ours way way back to medieval days and what not.... he also found that were related eli whitney

pretty snazzy i guess   :dunno:
cotton gin guy?
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

Doof

• Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,205
  • Member since Apr '07
  • establised summer of 89
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2009, 08:50:45 PM »
yea.... thats the one

also a naval commander who helped organize d-day invasion plan

Caboose

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 62
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Truth... Justice... Honor...
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2009, 04:01:17 AM »
My mother told me I am related to the Kennedy family.  Like JFK Kennedy family.  My great great (possibly another great)  grandmother's maiden name was Fitzgerald.  I haven't done the research myself but thats all i know.  lol  my grandmother is looking into our family history more.
"Who let the jeeps come?
Easy... easy..." -2 people on the CB

81 Toy Pickup SR5
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=35701.0

Daily Driver: 96 Dodge Ram 2nd DD/Tow Rig

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2009, 06:26:09 AM »
How exciting.  I've always wanted to do this, but I don't even know anyone's names past my dad's dad on my dad's side, and I don't know anyone's name past my mother's grandmother on my mom's side.  Hmmm..... I'd love to do this though. 
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

Cheesemaker [OP]

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2009, 07:02:54 PM »
You should look into it FFC.  When you get time.  My wife has been very, very busy trying to piece things together.  Alot of dates, and places after she gets a name.  And then a little cross referencing to double check to make sure it's all correct.  Then there's the name changes, or different spellings for the same name, in different regions.  She's really trying to get this all pieced together, especially her mom's side, so she can take a finished copy for her cousin LaDawna (Tyler) Streiff and aunt Toni when we go to see them in March!  Since nobody has taken the time to get it down on paper, since it's all been verbal.

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

AaronB

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 287
  • Male Posts: 2,452
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Wish I Was Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2009, 08:40:46 PM »
My dad had told me that we were related to Calamity Jane. Her married name is Martha Jane Burke. I have traced our name back a little, it is definitly something I would like to do.
"Never make your passion your occupation. it will loose it's luster and become work. that's why i never wanted to become a gynecologist!"

I also taught him how to put in 5min of hard work and then spend 15min staring and admiring what you have done...

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 100
  • Male Posts: 564
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2009, 10:41:55 PM »
My oldest sister did alot of our geneology

On my fathers side she was able to show mostly Danish decent with some German.

On my mothers side she traced back to the Sherwood forest.
'82 pickup, +3, locked, doubled
'82 pickup, IFS long travel, V8
'85 4runner, V8 rock crawler
'88 X-cab, V6

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2009, 06:25:23 AM »
You should look into it FFC.  When you get time.  My wife has been very, very busy trying to piece things together.  Alot of dates, and places after she gets a name.  And then a little cross referencing to double check to make sure it's all correct.  Then there's the name changes, or different spellings for the same name, in different regions.  She's really trying to get this all pieced together, especially her mom's side, so she can take a finished copy for her cousin LaDawna (Tyler) Streiff and aunt Toni when we go to see them in March!  Since nobody has taken the time to get it down on paper, since it's all been verbal.

I'm so going to do it... I think it'd be fascinating.  However, I don't even know where to start! It's $30/month at ancestry.com, and I don't have time during the day to visit county records...? Can you share some of her resources? I went to ellisisland.org and got some printouts from there... but everywhere charges for information - which doesn't surprise me.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2009, 03:55:38 PM »
Got any links she's using?  My family has some stuff, but some of it got lost when my grandma died and my pregnant dog of an aunt tossed pretty much everything she didn't want (ie, was worth anything dinero wise)

Pretty much all I know is my mom's side came from Sweden, (Anderson, used to be Andersen) and my dad's side came from all over, and recieved an Ellis Island name when they got here (Eastman)
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2009, 10:25:53 PM »
I got into this a while ago, and for a period of time was very motivated to figure it all out. I was very fortunate that someone had already done a ton of work already. Due to her efforts, I was able to trace my dad's side of the family back to the 1500's. Unfortunately nobody famous except to those crazy Norwegians. I have not been able to find my mothers history past my great grandfather. It's really difficult to get Scandinavian info, 'cause for years they didn't have surnames that stayed with the family. Their last names were often given based on the region or farm they came from. The last name would also change each generation. If Gunder had a son named Lars, his last name would become Gunderson. When he had a daughter, she would become Larsdatter. Makes for a very difficult search.

Erik
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

Cheesemaker [OP]

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2009, 10:10:33 AM »
I'll have her post up with all her info, but most of it has been just plugging in names in the internet.  Alot of death and birth information is listed in county sites.  And if your lucky they will also list places of birth, so you can input last names, and locations and with some time things will show up.  But sometimes you will have to cross reference and do some reverse looking.  Because of similar names or multiple same names, but alot of times the dates, places, and pre- and post family lineage won't line up.  If you have Indian ancestry, thats a huge challenge, since most of the time there wasn't any birth records and when white settlers came through and baptized/converted them, they were given white Americanized names.  And in the census recordings, my wife's great-great grandmother was listed as "Black" not Native American or "Indian."  Which makes things tough.  The American census recordings online has really helped her alot to pinpoint things.  And then there is the Mormons who has alot of this online too.  Then you need to know all the possible ways the last name was spelled.  Her maiden name is Genung, but there are almost ten different ways her ancestors had spelled their name.  It all depends on the region they lived.  And times when immigrants came across they changed their name, or the immigration office shortened or butchered up the name to something totally different. 

We are going to invest into Ancestry.com when we get most of everything we need.  So, we only have to pay for maybe a few months to get the last little bit of info we need.  There are alot of little holes she needs to find, the needed info is on ancestry.com, but those can wait until she's ready. 

Just be ready to spend some time on the internet and maybe venture you your local library. 

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2009, 10:13:29 AM »
My wife's family is Morman, so they pretty much have it back to Adam.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2009, 11:13:30 AM »
...and I bet they included Adam.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 14, 2009, 11:54:52 AM »
How exciting.  I've always wanted to do this, but I don't even know anyone's names past my dad's dad on my dad's side, and I don't know anyone's name past my mother's grandmother on my mom's side.  Hmmm..... I'd love to do this though. 

As opposed to your dad's dad on your mother's side?  :headscratch:  :haha:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #17 on: Jan 14, 2009, 11:55:36 AM »
As opposed to your dad's dad on your mother's side?  :headscratch:  :haha:
:talkingn: Nice catch! Maybe she meant Uncle Dad?

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 14, 2009, 03:16:35 PM »
 One side of my family can be traced back to the original Puritans who cam to america around 1620.  The only sort of famous person I know of is a man by the name of William Sublette.  He was a famous fur trader and Mountain man during the late 1700's to mid 1800's.  The other side of my family came from Germany during WW1 and most records before that have been destroyed. 
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

unclejpl4x4

• Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #19 on: Jan 14, 2009, 04:31:04 PM »
Ihave no clue how or where 2  start  is there a

101 family jeans for dummies manual :dunno:
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 14, 2009, 04:40:16 PM »
Ihave no clue how or where 2  start  is there a

101 family jeans for dummies manual :dunno:

Maybe 501 jeans....

I know that my family is almost 100% Welch.... My last whole name of Welch decent....Evans, Thomas and Collier...my Moms side of the family is SWales (that one is pretty obvious)... I was told that both sets of great great grandparents on both sides came from Wales.

My grandas were Charles and Jack both names with Welch influence...

But...interesting enough......My family still holds claim to ties to the great outlaw of the Wild West (as do MANY families from the Midwest region), Jesse James.......

HIs hideout was right here in Stanton, MO in the Meramac Caverns.....

On my dad's side of the family...his grandparents were named Jesse and Jesse (husband and wife)

probably explains where I get my angry streak from :gap:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

unclejpl4x4

• Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #21 on: Jan 14, 2009, 04:46:03 PM »
if i hear one more person related 2 J J  im gona claim im related 2 willi wonka
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #22 on: Jan 14, 2009, 06:37:02 PM »
if i hear one more person related 2 J J  im gona claim im related 2 willi wonka

<<<<<-----i'm related to jesse james!

:whistle:

Cheesemaker [OP]

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jan 14, 2009, 08:26:52 PM »
The Jesse James lineage is so frigging huge, it's not even funny.  I found a site once that had all the listings of famous people that were descendants, and George W. Bush was on there!

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jan 14, 2009, 08:28:12 PM »
I can't remember the names of the monkeys  :dunno:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Cheesemaker [OP]

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jan 14, 2009, 08:31:36 PM »
I can't remember the names of the monkeys  :dunno:

The poo flinging ones??   :rofl2:

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jan 14, 2009, 08:55:33 PM »
Well they were monkeys, weren't they?! 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Cheesemaker [OP]

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile

unclejpl4x4

• Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #28 on: Jan 15, 2009, 03:57:03 AM »
the one with the hat is peter   

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jan 15, 2009, 03:00:49 PM »
Man Jesse James sure got around.   He was a man-ho!!

The Monkees - Davey, Peter, Mickey & Mike.   Don't know if they ever flung poo or not.  Didn't hoo-flung-poo write a novel.........yes......yes he did.   I think it was called, "Spots on the wall"

The Monkees would have probably been more talented at flinging poo than they were at playing instruments.
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me