Author Topic: 1990 toyota 4x4 pickup 22re diferential breathers?  (Read 3974 times)

mlatrella

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
1990 toyota 4x4 pickup 22re diferential breathers?
« on: Dec 30, 2008, 08:17:10 PM »
 My front and rear diferential(can't spell that) breathers are not rubber hoses, they are little valve thingys at the top. Are they some kind of one way valves or something like that? I've been going through water deaper then those valves and it worries me. any thoughts or suggestions would be apprieciated, thanks.

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
SEARCH.

that said, run in a hose barb and run hose up as high as you can.

mlatrella [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
how do the valves come out?

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
well first pull the head, then you compress the retainer and pull the keepers out, and the retainer and spring come out and the valve will drop out of the head.

oh wait...there are no valves on a differential. sorry I was cornfused. ::)

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
how do the valves come out?
With a wrench, righty tighty, lefty loosee
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
they arent valves they are simple breathers, they are NOT one way, so you need to check your differentials for water contamination (looks like a milkshake)

ive found the rear brake lines can be used to make a poor mans extended breather, (they have a male fitting on one end and female on the other)
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Once you get them out you can use a gas(propane) barbed fitting.  I can't remember the the part#, but if you take in the valve you can just match it up.

You can also re-use the oem fitting, just remove the cap, push the breather line down over the bolt section and secure the hose w/a hose clamp.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

93tonkatoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 463
  • Member since Jul '07
  • drive it till it breaks! then break out the tools.
    • View Profile
3/8" air hose works good for the lines, just make sure you route it away from your exhaust. If you still have the LSPV attached, you can zip tie the hose to the arm about mid way up the arm, then run it up into the fender. I would also suggest running the line to the front of the bed, instead of the tail light, because entering and exiting a hole, the front noses down going in and the rear dips down when coming out.
It ain't worth doin' if you don't have to clean up afterwards!

Build it, break it, fix it, repeat until your wallet is empty.

I shall infuse thy Jeep with the Essence of Toyota...and maybe that one won't pee on itself at the first sight of granite. - Duffil

SAVE TELLICO post 491

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen