Author Topic: If you could only keep one rifle  (Read 18125 times)

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
Re: If you could only keep one rifle
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2009, 01:58:47 PM »
OK, I don't think people are getting it.  I don't mean which gun would you buy.  If the man came to your house and said you need to relinquish all but one rifle, which gun THAT YOU CURRENTLY OWN would you keep?

Nate...I have found the ultimate solution to your problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWSN-UIpuUQ
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Kentucky Jelly

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 144
  • Member since May '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2009, 02:02:23 PM »
I only have one rifle, but it would be the one I'd chose anyway.  AR-15 in 5.56.  If it's good enough for our military, it's good enough for me.  The only thing I'd change is the barrel since mine's a 20" heavy barrel.  I'd like to replace that with a 20" Mil Spec barrel to save some weight.
87 4Runner, IFS, 22RE, W56, 33x10.5 KM2's, 4.88's, ARB Rear, Downey Skid, BudBuilt X-member, Home Fab Front and Rear Bumpers, Sliders, MM Winch, A/C OBA, HID Hella 500's, Downey Header + Flowmaster, Fuel Tank Lift, EB Street RV Head, 268c Cam, Supra AFM, Bored and Balanced Bottom End, Long Travel Some Day, More To Come!

kneedownnate [OP]

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2009, 03:01:29 PM »
how about the :pokinit: has hit the fan and you have no house, you are with rig or worse, on foot. ONE rifle that you currently own, to defend, hunt and provide food for yourself and whoever is in your group.

gonna keep it simple and go with on of my Win. 94's   30-30

Even better!  That's the theme I was initially going for but didn't wanna go that far really, but since it's a hypothetical anyway  :dunno:

I still stick with my original answer;  my remington 788 in .308.  I even know where there's some ammo, but it's scraping the bottom of the barrel.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

wakkjobb

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -18
  • Male Posts: 1,590
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Back at it after 5 years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2009, 09:11:42 PM »
If it's good enough for our military, it's good enough for me.

Not to pop your bubble but on the first day of rifle training, our DI told us, "Remember, your weapons were made by the lowest bidder."

I don't own a rifle so ignore me.

:(
Dan
ASE certified shadetree mechanic and spoon operator
IronClad: If I wanted to hold hands and be nice I'd become a hippie.
85 4Runner, duals, 38s, 5.29s, locked, 3.4 swapped, GranVille Edition

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 71
  • Male Posts: 3,362
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2009, 09:28:07 PM »
Not to pop your bubble but on the first day of rifle training, our DI told us, "Remember, your weapons were made by the lowest bidder."

Dan

i'm pretty happy with mine.  never had any issues with it and i've put a couple of thousand rounds through it, but compared to what a military rifle gets, i'm sure thats nothing.  its definitly a dirty rifle with the gas tube and all, but its extremely reliable.  i'm sure there better out there, but its the one i would grab from my collection. 
ABD Motorsports

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
Placer County Crawlers - President 2011-2016
www.placercountycrawlers.com

Rubicon Trail Foundation - Property Committee member
Friends of Fordyce - Board Member
KK6QDW

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2009, 09:30:14 PM »
Mosin Nagant M91/30. Burry the sucker in your backyard then dig it up when the zombies attack
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

DTPROFAB

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 107
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2009, 10:20:38 PM »
still m-14
libo beer and bullets 0331
STI-dd....81 toy putting in a 5vz-fe

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 29
  • Male Posts: 792
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2009, 05:27:33 AM »

Dan

Yup  :yesnod: and if you look under the reciever it says made in "MATTEL Made in China".  :rofl2:

Yota-Freak

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 469
  • Member since Jul '08
  • Pass tha' whiskey and that rot gut Shine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2009, 07:28:06 PM »
Mosin Nagant M91/30. Burry the sucker in your backyard then dig it up when the zombies attack
I like your taste Fortysixandtwo (good choice in music as well...go tool=)

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2009, 09:26:41 PM »
I like your taste Fortysixandtwo (good choice in music as well...go tool=)

Hell yeah  :rockingout:
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2009, 09:31:00 PM »

Yup  :yesnod: and if you look under the reciever it says made in "MATTEL Made in China".  :rofl2:

the company the builds them varies, i'm guessing our military uses ones made in china.
ABD Motorsports

KK6QDW

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2009, 09:33:04 PM »
do you guys ever have problems with your mosin nagant's jamming up?  mine starts acting up after i put about 10 or so rounds through it and it warms up, the bolt doesn't want to come up far enough to unlock to the point of sliding back.  just curious. 
ABD Motorsports

KK6QDW

DTPROFAB

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 06, 2009, 09:47:41 PM »
the company the builds them varies, i'm guessing our military uses ones made in china.
  unless colt and FN moved to china your high :cool: :smoke:

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2009, 10:01:35 PM »
  unless colt and FN moved to china your high :cool: :smoke:

my bad i read the earlier post wrong :smack:  :coffee:
ABD Motorsports

KK6QDW

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2009, 10:39:25 PM »
do you guys ever have problems with your mosin nagant's jamming up?  mine starts acting up after i put about 10 or so rounds through it and it warms up, the bolt doesn't want to come up far enough to unlock to the point of sliding back.  just curious. 

Haven't had that problem, but I haven't put a lot of rounds through mine yet either.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2009, 11:14:27 PM »
do you guys ever have problems with your mosin nagant's jamming up? 

Do all your serial numbers match?  There's a chance the tolerances are too tight, causing it to jam when it gets hot.  Does it have a chrome plated bolt?  You might clean it up real well, hit it with steel wool to remove any signs of use, then go shoot it again and see if you can see where it's swelling and hitting.  If you find a spot where it's expanding too much you could probably have it cleaned up a little, but if it were mine I'd hit it with some fine emery cloth where it's rubbing and try to get it cycling better when hot.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2009, 11:17:53 PM »

Do you clean your mosin after every use? Have you disassembled the bolt and cleaned it as well? All surplus 7.62x54 is corrosive and a lot of it has been coated with crap to preserve it for WWIII and if you dont clean your rifle regularly they will gunk up pretty quick.

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2009, 07:46:53 AM »
i take it bolt apart everytime and clean it real good, along with the feed ramp and barrel.  i'll take some emry to it and see if it helps. all numbers match, just checked.
ABD Motorsports

KK6QDW

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2009, 11:46:04 AM »
i'm pretty happy with mine.  never had any issues with it and i've put a couple of thousand rounds through it, but compared to what a military rifle gets, i'm sure thats nothing.  its definitly a dirty rifle with the gas tube and all, but its extremely reliable.  i'm sure there better out there, but its the one i would grab from my collection. 

m16's jam alot and the 5.56 round is horrible for stopping power. m4 is more reliable and easier to use is close quarters but still uses the 5.56. ak47 jams less often (expecially the soviet ak), simpler/more reliable, and uses the 7.62 which actually has stopping power.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

John101477

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 17
  • Member since May '09
    • View Profile
    • Northern Cal-Images
« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2009, 12:52:44 PM »
I have a ruger m77 featherlight (which is not featherlight) in 30.06 that i have had since my 13th bday. i would have to keep that one
If your drivin, I ain't goin
www.northerncalimages.com

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2009, 04:09:54 PM »
m16's jam alot and the 5.56 round is horrible for stopping power. m4 is more reliable and easier to use is close quarters but still uses the 5.56. ak47 jams less often (expecially the soviet ak), simpler/more reliable, and uses the 7.62 which actually has stopping power.

i've never had mine jam up, not even once.  but i do keep it clean.  i would have to agree on you with the 5.56 not being the best round for stopping power though, but its just my personal choice out of what i have that i would grab if i could only grab 1.
ABD Motorsports

KK6QDW

DTPROFAB

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2009, 04:20:01 PM »
it has good stopping power... it was designed for body armor but dose just fine and the only thing that's better about the m4 is that its smaller. the AK gave up all of its accuracy to make it dependable and it is a great gun at 100 meters but will never be the weapon the m16/m4 is. i have had 2 malfunctions 1 was a bad primer and the other was a double feed which the only way to double feed is operator error

Beast2588

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 40
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2009, 05:37:50 PM »
my winchester .270, have had it a long time. and put down a ton of game with it. that and its left hand.
an that makes it easier for me

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2009, 04:30:51 PM »
My old .22 used to have the exact same problem as superyota's Mosin Nagant.  What invariably happens after a few rounds is that since the bolt rotates and then slides back in a small slot/grove along the bottom of the action(several pieces of metal sliding past each other), which then hits the end and kicks the spent shell out(as opposed to a gas-operating semi-auto or a more modern design), powder residue builds up and gets caught underneath, between the action and the bolt.

It's just enough to jam it or make it hard to get out.  I mention it because my .22, while a rimfire, has a nearly identical action to that Mosin Nagant.(actually a lot of guns do, it turns out - heh) 

There are a couple of solutions - one is to make sure that the bottom of the action where it rotates and slides against isn't overly oiled and picking up grime.  Another is to use proper loads with slightly faster/better burning powder.    Some bullet manufacturers' powder burns incredibly poorly - almost as bad as black powder in terms of gunk it leaves behind.   Also, eject the spent shell while the gun is level(or as close to level as practical).  If you point it down and then eject, any powder still left in the shell can dribble out into the action.  Some types of ammo are notorious for this, as I mentioned.  Some leave almost no residue at all.

Q: is the problem with the action jamming or the shell itself being a bear to pull out?  If the latter, it's likely that the spent shell is getting stuck in the action due to expanding too much.  After ten shots in a row, it's probably pretty hot.  I'm in the habit of firing and ejecting the shell in less than a second afterwards. 

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #84 on: May 08, 2009, 07:15:46 PM »
its the bolt actually not coming up all the way and unlocking so that it can slide back and eject the shell.  i have noticed though that i just started having the problem with this new surplus ammo i started using(comes in little green colored box of 20).  the old ammo i used that came it 20 rds and looked like it was wrapped in brown wax paper never gave me any problems.  i do keep the gun pretty lubed up.  maybe i'll try wiping it completely dry and seeing if that helps.  thanks for the info.
ABD Motorsports

KK6QDW

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 08, 2009, 07:32:37 PM »
its the bolt actually not coming up all the way and unlocking so that it can slide back and eject the shell.  i have noticed though that i just started having the problem with this new surplus ammo i started using(comes in little green colored box of 20).  the old ammo i used that came it 20 rds and looked like it was wrapped in brown wax paper never gave me any problems.  i do keep the gun pretty lubed up.  maybe i'll try wiping it completely dry and seeing if that helps.  thanks for the info.

I do encounter that problem myself sometimes and I believe it is from the older surplus ammo that has too much of the coating on it. The ammo you mentioned (wax paper, tied with strings?) is probably some bulgarian or hungarian import and most of their stuff is pretty "clean". I had some other crap from god knows where and it gunked up fast. I just got used to giving the bolt a good wack here and there when it needed lol

John101477

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 17
  • Member since May '09
    • View Profile
    • Northern Cal-Images
« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2009, 03:50:03 PM »
i have also had that problem with one of my 22's part of it is the ammo and the other is the oil. some ammo does not burn as clean as others and so whats left has a tendency to build up in the lube. unfortunately i always have to tare it all down and wipe it clean.
If your drivin, I ain't goin
www.northerncalimages.com

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 12, 2009, 08:39:06 PM »
Yeah I make it a habit to clean my guns every time I fire them. The problem with 7.62x54r is there isnt much new ammo actually produced and its harder to buy it in bulk quantities. S&B makes some nice FMJ and SP, and Wolf makes some, but other than that all we are left with is dirty ass surplus ammo. But hey, thats what these guns are for, cheap, zombie apocalypse weapons :gap:

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 12, 2009, 09:05:03 PM »
Don't forget prvi and baurnal for the 7.62x54  ;)
RIP KYOTA

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 12, 2009, 09:46:46 PM »
Don't forget prvi and baurnal for the 7.62x54  ;)

Well Prvi is Wolf and we dont get much Baurnal, never actually shot the Baurnal either so I didnt mention it.