Author Topic: Weak Taco housing  (Read 4705 times)

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
Weak Taco housing
« on: Aug 24, 2004, 02:07:26 PM »
FYI for anyone thinking of using a taco rear housing. It apears that the taco housing has a thinner wall than the earlier housings. No, I don't have any #'s to prove it, but I do have some pics.

FIREBALL [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
Re: Weak Taco housing
« Reply #1 on: Aug 24, 2004, 02:08:34 PM »
Here's what happened to my pinion after the housing crushed down.

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 24, 2004, 03:28:48 PM »
That sucks badly.  what did you do to it?

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 24, 2004, 03:34:54 PM »
Damnit Im impressed!
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

88runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 756
  • Member since May '03
  • Click me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 24, 2004, 05:18:37 PM »
could it be too much heat when welding the spring pearch resulting in a weakness in the housing cause it bend just at the spring pearch. :dunno:
88 4runner v6,
5.29 with 35" tires,
Isuzu Rodeo rear disk brake,
t-case hand brake in near futur
solid axle'd

FIREBALL [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 24, 2004, 07:08:23 PM »
Well those are the stock spring pads. The only welding I did was the shock mounts. That happened on one trip to Rubicon. I was being easy on it too, I just finished the rig and didn't want to get too carried away the first trip out.
Now its time for a new housing, with some serious beef added, and a torque bar to limit that axle wrap that caused it in the first place.

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 24, 2004, 07:13:09 PM »
I'd be all for cutting the stock perches off and using a 2 piece sleeve with a homebrew thick walled perch.  That would stop anything like that crom happening again.
« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2004, 07:20:11 PM by WHITE_TRASH »
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

FIREBALL [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 24, 2004, 07:18:46 PM »
Yep, kinda what i'm thinkin about too. I don't like to work on :pokinit: on the trail. I'd rather be wheelin and partying. Build it right at home, and don't have to fix it on the trail.

rockbuggy37

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 29
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2004, 05:38:27 AM »
all i can say is wow, i never herd of a bad toyota rear axle ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i used to own an 85, now i want a 2002 4 door, and i was thingking abought a hybrid 85 front axle versus 2 new axles i got a quote for d60 rockcrushers full float 11k.  i said no way!!!
 ill keep my stock rear and build a new front with all d60 guts and have the axles resplined for toy 3rd memberwas going to use crane d60 high steer hubs (king pin style) not like the allprooffroad hybrid with the ball joint style nuckles. try to build my self, now i need to reinforce the rear to keep this from happening, glad i ran accross your message.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2004, 09:54:17 AM »
Hey FB,

Some local guys were checking out my truck while I was working and I came out and saw 'em. They noticed that I had a Tacoma rear axle sitting near the truck, noticed the third was missing and I had one in my truck, put 2&2 together, then asked how much I wanted for the rest of the axle. I told him 'nah you dont want this one its junk' and he was NOT suprised! In fact, He has done the same to his, that's why he wanted to buy it from me. This is the 3rd diff housing that he's seen from a Taco that crushed the spring pirches.. So this is a common problem - so watch out!
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

SWAMPER

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 790
  • Male Posts: 3,599
  • Member since May '04
  • Semper Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2004, 02:33:40 PM »
Yeah I heard that the 3rds are stronger but the rest is weak
1985 Toyota Pick/Up longbed...bobbed 15",  lifted 5", 36's.....http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=36992.0

94toytruck

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 175
  • Male Posts: 142
  • Member since Jun '04
  • kreepykrawler
    • View Profile
    • rightcoast4x4
« Reply #11 on: Nov 22, 2004, 06:46:32 PM »
glad i saw this now.i was going to use taco axle not happening now.
95 x-cab truggy, 39 pitbull's on KMC's and 60/14b with chromo's, ultimate duals, linked and Co'ed

www.rightcoast4x4.com<<<get it

FIREBALL [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 23, 2004, 08:12:07 AM »
Don't totally panic on the taco rear. Just remember if you are going to use one, beef it up a bit around your spring perch, and difinetly consider using some kind of a anti rap bar.
Ive got my new taco housing in now, and I decided to trash can the u-bolts, and I did a welded on plate, and used nuts and bolts. Then I also wraped a bar around the housing from one side of the perch to the other to beef it up a bit.
I think part of the reason it crushed before was because the u-bolts are squeezing it so much.
The taco housing will work, and if you want something wider than the earlier ifs I think it's still a good way to go....with a little extra work.

dirtyskivies

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 39
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 23, 2004, 10:16:55 AM »
i have a '92 rear housing that looks like that.  when i got the truck the wheelwells in the bed were caved in as someone had dropped something HEAVY in the bed. it smashed the spring perches similar to what yours did and bent the rear leaves.

im still running that housing, but with no spring perches
2002 trd v6 tacoma
1986 4runner type thing
1998 ktm supermoto

bkg

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 23, 2004, 10:21:50 AM »
and difinetly consider using some kind of a anti rap bar.

I was going to say the same thing.  This could happen to any stamped-steal housing if you: a) have loose ubolts or b) uber excessive spring wrap. 

I've not seen this before at all - but I have seen T-100 axes crack at the spring perches... 

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Nov 23, 2004, 07:19:29 PM »
I was walkin around work today thinkin about this and had an idea.  Has anybody with a Taco axle tried doing a pre-runner style truss over the top of the axle, that is a piece of tubing welded to the side of the spring perch and top of the axle and running nearly to the top, then welded to a plate.  Same on the other side, plus you can make a trac bar to slide into the middle.  Seems like this would give it a good deal of latteral strength, and then maybe cut a piece square tubing in half, like an open ended triangle(which is supposed to be the strongest shape?) and runnin that around underneath the spring perch like somebody was sayin to do with round tubing.  Wouldn't be pretty but should be strong.  Nate
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

stomper

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -139
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Nov 23, 2004, 07:43:10 PM »
Well those are the stock spring pads. The only welding I did was the shock mounts. That happened on one trip to Rubicon. I was being easy on it too, I just finished the rig and didn't want to get too carried away the first trip out.
Now its time for a new housing, with some serious beef added, and a torque bar to limit that axle wrap that caused it in the first place.

Just wondering what size tires ya running and such? I got and trying to sell my Taco right now but ive never had a problem with the rear axle. Ive also been a member of TTORA for a few years and havent seen too many rears like that.

FIREBALL [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Nov 23, 2004, 07:56:19 PM »
 :greengrin: 38's, an ultimate, and a 200hp 4.3. Springs are F150's, ubolts filipped.
But really, I was actually being very easy on it. It was my first trip out with the rig. I put way......I mean WAY more abuse to my old 88 housing, and never had a problem. My old 85 rear started to peal off one of the perches one time, but that was after about 8 years of wheelin it.

rockbuggy37

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Nov 25, 2004, 03:28:27 AM »
i think kneedownnat's idea is good i can kind of visualize what he is getting at, realy need to add adjoining weldon material to reinforce this area and tie it all togather with a over the top truss, with incorporated anti wrap (how abought the shock type antiwrap?) i think downy sold it. ill need to check. well i just looked i didnt find it.
 was in one of there old catalogs, i think they called them (kicker shocks) there is a rear weld on truss kit 106.00 real basic kit

SWAMPER

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 790
  • Male Posts: 3,599
  • Member since May '04
  • Semper Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Nov 25, 2004, 08:52:14 AM »
:greengrin: 38's, an ultimate, and a 200hp 4.3. Springs are F150's, ubolts filipped.

:worthless:
1985 Toyota Pick/Up longbed...bobbed 15",  lifted 5", 36's.....http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=36992.0

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #20 on: Nov 25, 2004, 05:07:44 PM »
 :yupyup:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #21 on: Nov 25, 2004, 05:09:39 PM »
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Nov 25, 2004, 07:49:27 PM »
Yup, that's what I was getting at, just didn't really wanna say Downey, they have pretty bad customer service and cut on the competition.  They tore down a buncha hand rails at work this summer so I have perfect tubing to make my own truss.  Oh, and now I'm kneedownnat?  I've been demoted to a nat?  Well, I am kinda annoying, buzzin around yer face and ears,  Nate
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

rockbuggy37

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Nov 26, 2004, 12:25:54 AM »
sorry nate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!        never said i could type!
i never orderd from downey, i herd all pro costomer service is bad to.
ya glen how did you post the pick, did you cut, and paist? (for future)  p.s. your a lucky man i cant decide which pic to look at the truss, or the girl!   wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!