Author Topic: No Back Brakes  (Read 3034 times)

porkchop

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 630
  • Member since Jun '07
  • Yeah 2 @ 1 time
    • View Profile
No Back Brakes
« on: Oct 26, 2008, 01:49:53 PM »
Ok went to windrock this weekend and a boy in our group was running a sami with all toyota under it. He did not have no back brakes on his rig he had some kinda spacer that the wheel seal set in and he was able to do away with all his brake junk on the axle. DO any you guys know what kinda spacer that is or who sells it? He bought the rig that way and did not know much about it. It is a a real slick look to me and I am going to try to do the same to mine if I can get more info on it. I am looking threw my pics trying to see if i got one of it. :dunno:
85 TRUCK AUSSIE IN FRONT LINCON AROUND BACK MARLIN 4" SPRINGS UP FRONT WITH 63 CHEVYS ON BACK. REBUILT 22R WITH CRAWL CAM AND FEW OTHER THINGS NOTHING HUGE JUST WAITING TO GET PROPANE ON IT. RUNNIN 35'S M/T WITH MY LONGFIELDS 30 SPLINE SUPER AXLES. 4.7's IN T-CASE AND ON THE WAY WITH DUAL CASES. FULL HYDRO WITH TG ROCK ASSULT PUMP AND 2 X 6 AG RAM

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1346
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Re: No Back Brakes
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2008, 07:51:13 PM »
Unless he had the transfer case disc brake setup, then your playing with fire.  I wouldn't run a rig without brakes at all four corners!   :slap:
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 2008, 08:30:53 PM »
dang we got a run on stupid this week or what?

first the guy wanting to run full hydro with no draglink

now  a truck with half brakes :wall:

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1346
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 26, 2008, 08:55:56 PM »
Yeah, just like the guy selling the 22rte motor for $1500 and it has over 150,000 miles on it!   :smack:

I really think the bus from Stupid Town stopped by!!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2008, 08:57:58 PM »
first the guy wanting to run full hydro with no draglink

I run full hydro and it does not have a DL, what do you need a DL on full hydro, you do not have a steering box. ? ?? :confused:
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2008, 09:25:35 PM »
I run full hydro and it does not have a DL, what do you need a DL on full hydro, you do not have a steering box. ? ?? :confused:

x2  ???
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

LOL @ IFS

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 292
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Not so common common sense.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 26, 2008, 09:33:56 PM »
What's wrong with no back brakes?  You can do sweet ass burnouts without 'em.   :yupyup:

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 26, 2008, 09:50:08 PM »

he ment hydro assist with no drag link.

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 26, 2008, 09:51:58 PM »
i know a guy with sami buggy and rear toyota axle.  he doesn't have rear brakes either. but it still stops on a dime.  he competes with it too.

LOL @ IFS

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 26, 2008, 11:26:30 PM »
I'm sure he can stop on a dime fine, but I bet he's screwed if he has to back down a steep hill...

porkchop [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
  • Yeah 2 @ 1 time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 27, 2008, 03:13:22 AM »
i know a guy with sami buggy and rear Toyota axle.  he doesn't have rear brakes either. but it still stops on a dime.  he competes with it too.
thanks Hyena that is what kinda setup I am talking about, as far as everyone like cheesehead and glyn I was just asking about brakes not starting no :pokinit: so maybe you need to park that stupid bus at  your house thanks! and by the way I was not asking if you thought it was safe or not your idea of safe and mine might be a lil diffrent so next time think before you start typing stupid stuff
85 TRUCK AUSSIE IN FRONT LINCON AROUND BACK MARLIN 4" SPRINGS UP FRONT WITH 63 CHEVYS ON BACK. REBUILT 22R WITH CRAWL CAM AND FEW OTHER THINGS NOTHING HUGE JUST WAITING TO GET PROPANE ON IT. RUNNIN 35'S M/T WITH MY LONGFIELDS 30 SPLINE SUPER AXLES. 4.7's IN T-CASE AND ON THE WAY WITH DUAL CASES. FULL HYDRO WITH TG ROCK ASSULT PUMP AND 2 X 6 AG RAM

muddytaco

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 228
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 30, 2008, 10:13:55 PM »
its gettin hostile in here, i put full disc brakes, mounts, calipers, rotors, and all for 70 bucks on the rear of my truck on my 9inch and put a line loc on the front for 20 so i dont see any reason for not having brakes, pros really outway the cons on that
95 tacoma 5" revtek/bilstein detroit locked 9" with drilled and slotted rotors front and back, 8000# mile marker winch, 16" crager crawlers, too much other crap to mention
96 t100 2wd (soon to be sasd i hope) - dead
85 efi 4runner
01 sequoia

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #12 on: Oct 30, 2008, 10:24:47 PM »
I lost the rear brake pressure on my 4Runner once, didn't realize it until I got stuck climbing rock strewn hill. I put it in reverse (auto) and started backing a bit to adjust and was unable to stop for almost the entire hill. My fronts were completely locked due to the lack of weight and the rears failed. I'm not going to say you are stupid for not wanting rear brakes but for me I would not advise it.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 31, 2008, 03:41:44 PM »
thanks Hyena that is what kinda setup I am talking about, as far as everyone like cheesehead and glen I was just asking about brakes not starting no :pokinit: so maybe you need to park that stupid bus at  your house thanks! and by the way I was not asking if you thought it was safe or not your idea of safe and mine might be a lil diffrent so next time think before you start typing stupid stuff
this is why state governments put laws in place to restrict "modifying" a truck  because at some point somebody  tried to drive that chevy S10 with 36 inches of lift
or  the guy that  wants to run dual wheels on the front of his big rig

porkchop,  i apologize for bringing 'stupid' into this, but what reason can you give to run no brakes on the rear of a 4x4??
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

LOL @ IFS

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 31, 2008, 07:55:16 PM »
what reason can you give to run no brakes on the rear of a 4x4??

Front brakes brake the rear tires through the daggum driveline, just like my Massey Furgeson, tell you whut!

dieselsmoke

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -40
  • Male Posts: 134
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Nov 01, 2008, 05:21:23 PM »
That should be just like the backing plate eliminators for the front, just cut up your backing plates and trim them down to the size of the bearing retainer and bolt it up. If your not going to run the rear brakes then you don't need the backing plates and thats the only thing between the housing ant the bearing retainer. I'm going with the 4 wheel disc with allpro's t case park brake

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Nov 01, 2008, 06:10:23 PM »
what reason can you give to run no brakes on the rear of a 4x4??
X2 or any vehicle.

Front brakes brake the rear tires through the daggum driveline, just like my Massey Furgeson, tell you whut!
Your Massey Ferguson will never do freeway speeds.

:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

porkchop [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
  • Yeah 2 @ 1 time
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Nov 01, 2008, 06:34:53 PM »
X2 or any vehicle.
Your Massey Ferguson will never do freeway speeds.

my rig only sees the pavment from the trailor behind my tow rig

porkchop [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
  • Yeah 2 @ 1 time
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Nov 01, 2008, 06:46:06 PM »
this is why state governments put laws in place to restrict "modifying" a truck  because at some point somebody  tried to drive that chevy S10 with 36 inches of lift
or  the guy that  wants to run dual wheels on the front of his big rig

porkchop,  i apologize for bringing 'stupid' into this, but what reason can you give to run no brakes on the rear of a 4x4??
Glyn it is all good man no biggy hell man relax..lol

reason #1 trail rig only never on road
reason #2 it is a very clean and neat look
reason #3 my drum brakes suck ,and cant swing $ to go disc
reason #4 planning on upgrading to big calipers and vented rotors on front
reason #5 THE MAIN REASON It is my rig and I want to

I know you guys are trying to help me and all and I appreciate it but front brakes will be just fine for me not having them on back does not bother me a bit.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Nov 01, 2008, 07:31:42 PM »
Glen it is all good man no biggy hell man relax..lol

reason #1 trail rig only never on road
reason #2 it is a very clean and neat look
reason #3 my drum brakes suck ,and cant swing $ to go disc
reason #4 planning on upgrading to big calipers and vented rotors on front
reason #5 THE MAIN REASON It is my rig and I want to

I know you guys are trying to help me and all and I appreciate it but front brakes will be just fine for me not having them on back does not bother me a bit.
:thumbs:  just looking out for you and anyone else that might read this later and do it to a rig thats driven on the road

Redbeard3261

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 133
  • Member since Feb '07
  • <center>
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2009, 04:21:41 AM »
does anyone know a way to bypass load valve mounted on rear frame to run straight to brakes?

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2009, 10:10:33 AM »
does anyone know a way to bypass load valve mounted on rear frame to run straight to brakes?

Yup..  Unscrew the steel line out of the prop valve that comes from the master, take the steel line that feeds the stock rubber line off and put the line from the master together and you just bypassed the valve.

You'll still need to either plug of cut, flatten and fold a bit of the other line that goes from the valve back to the front right corner but that's not a biggy.

As for taking the brakes off of an axle I guess no one ever busts an axle or u-joint in that part of the back woods...  Glad you live far far away from me, although I would laugh when you cousin dating ass careened down a hill with no brakes and busted driveline parts. :greengrin:
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

Redbeard3261

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 133
  • Member since Feb '07
  • <center>
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2009, 02:46:14 PM »
Thanks! I wasn't 100% for sure but I will do that cause mine is leaking out the bottom.

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2009, 10:41:16 PM »

Yup..  Unscrew the steel line out of the prop valve that comes from the master, take the steel line that feeds the stock rubber line off and put the line from the master together and you just bypassed the valve.

You'll still need to either plug of cut, flatten and fold a bit of the other line that goes from the valve back to the front right corner but that's not a biggy.

As for taking the brakes off of an axle I guess no one ever busts an axle or u-joint in that part of the back woods...  Glad you live far far away from me, although I would laugh when you cousin dating ass careened down a hill with no brakes and busted driveline parts. :greengrin:

But shes perdy, and ya oughts ta sees whut shee duz when she takz her teef out!

YUP! :gap:

Sorry thats just too funny to pass up!
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole