Author Topic: Project Daily Destroyer - 94 x-cab - updated w/ action shots and video  (Read 19834 times)

notyourmomslx450

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 200
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
I figured that since I bought so many of the parts from Marlin, it's only right that I post up this build thread over here.  The truck is almost done now, so this will be a recap fo thbuild. So a few of you may have heard about my little white '94 xtra cab toyota recently. Well, I got it as a gas saver vs. the gas hog LX450, with the intention of building it into a daily driver/trail rig.

Here she is the evening I got her, all soft and untouched. it's a 94 extra cab 4x4 w/ a 4cylinder and a 5-speed.

Sorry bout the cell phone pics, but the camera was dead.

Complete specs to follow buildup recap.
« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2009, 09:23:04 PM by notyourmomslx450 »
-Jason

"Daily Destroyer"-'94 xtra cab, solid axle, longs super set, 5.29s, detroits, dual ultimate, 37" MTRs, bobbed 12", Gulf Coast Crawl Shop bumpers, custom dents :eek:
"The Anchor"-'97 LX450, OME J-springs & L-shocks, spring spacers, wheel spacers, 35" Super Swamper SSRs, ARB, rack, it's just getting started

notyourmomslx450 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
Re: Project Daily Destroyer - 94 x-cab
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2008, 08:18:23 AM »
First, here are all the parts I've got, minus the extra t-case and the 4.7 gears:

SAS brackets, hysteer, shocks, shock hoops, etc

10* dual case adapter, hysteer arms, FJ80 tie rod ends, etc.

10* dual case crossmember/skidplate

5" springs
-Jason

"Daily Destroyer"-'94 xtra cab, solid axle, longs super set, 5.29s, detroits, dual ultimate, 37" MTRs, bobbed 12", Gulf Coast Crawl Shop bumpers, custom dents :eek:
"The Anchor"-'97 LX450, OME J-springs & L-shocks, spring spacers, wheel spacers, 35" Super Swamper SSRs, ARB, rack, it's just getting started

notyourmomslx450 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 21, 2008, 08:20:15 AM »
Also, I've got all the spring hangers/shackle mounts in place.  Big thanks to Dave at GCCS (Gulf Coast Crawl Shop in Houston, TX) for the shop time and help w/ welding, as well as to Joe for all the help w/ getting me accustomed to the plasma cutter and help w/ those damn frame jigs and tubes.

Front spring hanger in place:

frame tubes for front spring shackle mount burned in

action shots of Dave doing what he do:

and the rear spring hangers are in place

So now it's ready for a new front axle.

Also completed this a rebuild on the spare t-case to throw in the 4.7 gears. We've got some pics, but they're on the camera at Dave's shop. Andy and Dave were putting the 4.7s in Andy's case, so I took the other half of the table and mirrored everything they were doing to get mine installed. Not too tough, just really time consuming. Especially since we had to share tools, presses, etc. However, I now have a nice 4.7 geared tcase waiting installation. I also picked up a very crusty, very mud packed axle from behind some dude's house in Santa Fe. He had some mean dog barking at me, but it was dark out, so I don't think he saw me taking it. Haha, just kidding, thanks Ray.

I'm going to pick up a HP 3rd w/ 5.29s and a detroit in it this afternoon when I get off work to go in the front axle, and I've ordered new birfs, axle trusses, ball gussets, and some other goodies for it as well.

Now I just need a good rear 3rd w/ some 5.29s and a locker, and then wheels and tires. Oh, and I need to put in the dual cases, weld up the crossmember mounts, get the driveshafts reworked, bob the bed, and get some armor built up for it. It never ends!!!
-Jason

notyourmomslx450 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 21, 2008, 08:20:55 AM »
Got my tires mounted and balanced, ready to go on.  37" MTRs on series 97 black rockcrawlers:

Also finished up the trussing/gusseting on the front axle.  Went w/ Trail gear knuckle ball gussets for double shear shock mount, and Dave and I fabbed up the truss on top of the axle.  It's all finished w/ welding and painting, and ready to be reassembled and stuck under a truck:

We're going to assemble the front axle tonight, and try to get the rear 3rd set up w/ 5.29s and a detroit.  SAS (solid axle swap, for all you jeep guys) party will begin *hopefully* tomorrow, and include installation of the dual cases w/ 4.7s in the rear case.  I'm excited that this is finally nearing some semblance of completion!! :-D
-Jason

notyourmomslx450 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 21, 2008, 08:21:41 AM »
Okay, so we're in the home stretch now.  Got the axle reassembled, the IFS out, and got the front axle in and the front tires on.  Still have to do the rear lift/3rd swap, dual cases, shock towers on the front, and driveshafts.  We're going to hit it again on Monday afternoon.  Anyway, here's the pics:

-Jason

notyourmomslx450 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 21, 2008, 08:22:41 AM »

Front springs, front tires done:

It still looks kinda funny w/ the rear lift/tires not installed.  Kinda reminds me of a cartoon bulldog, the way it's all big in front and small in the back.
-Jason

notyourmomslx450 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 21, 2008, 08:23:14 AM »
Lift: DONE!
Tires: DONE!
Dual cases: DONE!
5.29s & Lockers f/r:  Half DONE! (still have to finish setting up the rear diff)

To do:
dual case crossmember
rear 3rd set up and install
driveshaft mods - being done now
shock towers on front and shock axle mounts on the rear
fill w/ fluids, drive and enjoy

future:
bob the bed, trim the fenders, put on sliders and bumpers.

Pics from last night.  No during pics, as it was a mad dash to get the rear spring pads off, ground, redone, etc.

-Jason

notyourmomslx450 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 21, 2008, 08:23:55 AM »
Okay, so EVERYTHING involved w/ the SAS and doubler is DONE!! We finished up last thursday night about 12:30 am, and I drove it to Gilmer on Friday.

Problems we ran into that may be of note to someone else doing something similar (*cough*, JAMES, *cough*):

Had to cut the inner fenders to fit the shock hoops.  Poor little fenderwells.  Oh well.

T-G diff protection does not fit right.  I ordered the small "bone" style diff guard because I don't want the huge all pro style.  Well, that little piece of crap didn't fit anywhere close to right from the get-go.  We pounded on it, reshaped it, and eventually ended up leaving it on the shop floor in a pile of discarded bolts and nuts.

When installing the FROR rotated cross member, it was necessary to clearance the skidplate for the CV joint on the front output. It was also necessary to convert (on my '94 anyway) the speedo gear info-receiver-thing to electric signal where it used to be mechanical on my old tcase, as well as extend the wires for the speedo gear info-receiver-thing. To accomplish this, I had to remove the speedo gear and shaft from the mechanical unit and swap it into the electric unit. You have to remove a c-clip from the electric unit and leave it out to accomplish this, but it's okay since the mechanical unit has a protrusion on one end to keep the gear in place. Also, you have to clearance the back of the crossmember to be able to fit in the bulkier electric unit. The extension was just a matter of splicing in about 6" of extra wire.  It all works perfectly.

Also, when putting in the crossmember behind the doubler, you HAVE TO cut out the torsion bar mounts completely, as this is exactly where the doubler ends and the crossmember sits. This sucks, but a plasma and an air hammer make (kinda) quick work of it. Just be careful of the fuel lines.

Anyway, the only thing that's not operational right now is the 4wheel drive. when we drooped the front suspension to set the shock hoops in place, we found that the spline length of the driveshaft had not bee properly set when the dshaft shop retubed it. Basically, when the suspension drooped, I suddenly had two halves of a front driveshaft, since that * came completely apart. Well, needless to say, I'm now waiting on a long spline kit from all pro. Should be here tomorrow or the next day.

I drove it all the way to gilmer on its maiden voyage and it performed wonderfully. a slight pull to the right is all that i noticed. the MTRs are quiet as can be at highway speed, and no vibes, bumps, or jerks in the vehicle. *, w/ the 5.29s, i got 17.5 mpg for the weekend. Oh, and I did test out the low-low setting. OMG, that *er CRAAAAAAWWWWLS!! pushing 3500 RPMs, it moves at a very slow walking speed. very impressive.

Sometime this week, we're going to get back in the shop and trim the fenders up and maybe (probably not, though) bob the bed. I'll post up some pics soon, but it pretty much looks like the ones in the post at the end of page one.

Anyone doing an SAS project soon is more than welcome to the knowledge i got while doing this. I'll gladly drink your bud light and point at stuff while you get covered in metal shavings and burn your arms/legs/head w/ plasma cutter spatter cutting in those tight spots.
« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2008, 08:44:22 AM by notyourmomslx450 »
-Jason

notyourmomslx450 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 21, 2008, 08:25:49 AM »
Front axle started life in an '82 or '83 pickup.  It came a loooong way from this state:

-Jason

notyourmomslx450 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 21, 2008, 08:35:43 AM »
Okay, so here are the specs of the rig:

Front Axle:
5.29 HP w/ detroit (set up by MC, but bought locally from a guy w/ an abandoned project)
Longfield 30 spline birfs, shafts, and chromoly hub gears (converted IFS hubs to work on the solid axle)
Axle truss by Gulf Coast Crawl Shop
T-G knuckle ball gusset kit - I know, I know, T-G sucks, but I like the dual shear shock mount on their kit
FJ-60 rotors w/ stock IFS calipers
14" travel shocks

Duals:
front case has 2.28s
rear case has 4.7s
10* clocked marlin adapter
FROR x-member/skidplate combo

Rear axle:
5.29s w/ detroit
12" travel shocks

Tires/wheels:
37x12.50-15 Goodyear MT-Rs
Got a great deal on these locally from NTB.  Mounted, balanced, lifetime rotation and road hazard replacement certs, and tax for $1200 even.
Series 97 Rockcrawler wheels 3.75" BS

Future plans:
Trim the fenders (this is a must and will likely happen this week, as the suspension won't be able to work w/ out trimming)
Bumpers by GCCS (w/ in the next month or so, depending on how busy Dave is at the shop)
Sliders by 4x innovations (waiting on the next batch to get done by Adam)
Bob the bed ~ 12" (probably shortly after fender trimming/shortly before rear bumper.
-Jason

ajordan1975

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 1,004
  • Member since Jun '07
  • i think i'm cool
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 21, 2008, 08:53:47 AM »
Awesome Build Jason.....  :thumbs:
I'm in one of those pics somewhere.....    :cool:
1990 4Runner, SAS, 22re, 5spd, Dual stock cases, Locked f/b, interior cage

TheCookieMonster

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Male Posts: 973
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 21, 2008, 09:02:45 AM »
very nice build...nice and pretty still  :thumbs:

jonathan82toy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 502
  • Member since Mar '07
  • 1St Gens Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 21, 2008, 09:12:08 AM »
WHere are the action pictures?   :burnout:   :driving: 
What Is The Truth Behind The Magic Turtle Breeding Program?

S.S. More Powerful Than Superman, Batman, Spiderman And The Incredible Hulk Put Together.

notyourmomslx450 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 21, 2008, 09:42:53 AM »
action pics yet to come.  It just got finished last thursday and I don't have my front D-Shaft back yet.  Still waiting on my long spline kit.  Should hopefully have some action shots by this weekend, though!

In the meantime, here are some pics of the tandem 4.7 install.  Thanks for the pics Andy.  And the shop towel hat was instrumental in the installation of the gears.  Haha!!

-Jason

lucky7

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 303
  • Male Posts: 778
  • Member since Sep '07
  • CAN'T POLISH A TURD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 21, 2008, 11:04:37 AM »
Sweeet

GJToyotabug

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Male Posts: 969
  • Member since Jan '08
  • The bug is deep in this one
    • View Profile
    • Alcan Spring
« Reply #15 on: Oct 21, 2008, 11:12:31 AM »
oh man lucky sick truck

montanatoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 10
  • Male Posts: 329
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Oct 21, 2008, 05:14:44 PM »
very nice :thumbs:
toyotas are like tonka trucks of old built to beat the hell out of

95SAS

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 564
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Oct 21, 2008, 07:47:03 PM »
i like it alot thats how i want my dd to turn out
1986 extracab, SAS 38.5's Locked Duals, truggyfied, beadlocks
1988 2wd bagged and body dropped 3'' with a healthy 22r....

my build
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=35602.0

notyourmomslx450 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Oct 27, 2008, 10:24:40 AM »
well, we bobbed it last week and took it on it's first run this past weekend.  Here are the pics of her in action:
http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj277/notyourmomslx450/TXTO%2008/?albumview=slideshow&direction=reverse
-Jason

ajordan1975

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jun '07
  • i think i'm cool
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Oct 27, 2008, 10:37:51 AM »
I like this one   :thumbs:

and this one  :yesnod:

AWESOME TRUCK J!

ajordan1975

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jun '07
  • i think i'm cool
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Nov 21, 2008, 01:56:59 PM »
new pics

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Nov 21, 2008, 02:21:16 PM »
looking good.....

haha, i like how the build went from a pile of parts, to wheeling shots, no inbetweens ;)
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 35
  • Male Posts: 1,968
  • Member since Oct '07
  • BORN TO WHEEL, FORCED TO WORK...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Nov 21, 2008, 03:45:30 PM »
this thing is badass!
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com
www.myspace.com/choptechfab

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39494.0

lucky7

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 303
  • Male Posts: 778
  • Member since Sep '07
  • CAN'T POLISH A TURD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Nov 21, 2008, 05:30:48 PM »
Gotta love dd's

John Doe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 469
  • Male Posts: 1,587
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • Bored In Iraq.
« Reply #24 on: Nov 21, 2008, 06:18:01 PM »
Looks real good, nice and clean. I've always liked 3rd gen extra cabs.
My 85 4Runner build http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=46841.0

peacesells: "Its kinda fun tryin to avoid body damage, just like playing operation with different sound effects"

notyourmomslx450 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Dec 02, 2008, 07:50:37 AM »
Thanks for the comments everyone.  I've been off the site for a while.  I'll snap some current shots and update w/ pics of the post-bob body work and paint.  Suffice it to say, it looks factory...
-Jason

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #26 on: Dec 04, 2008, 07:15:23 PM »
truck looks sick. i like the kind of wheeling you guys have over there. also, nice work on takin plenty of pics. :thumbs:
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

notyourmomslx450 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Dec 18, 2008, 03:17:06 PM »
Okay, so I finally got some pics of the completed body work.  Also got my sliders in, but haven't had time to get them mounted.  I still need to build my bumpers, too.  Anyway, here are some pics:

And finally, the obligatory antenna stripper and shot of it next to the lexus.

-Jason

ajordan1975

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jun '07
  • i think i'm cool
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Dec 18, 2008, 08:16:58 PM »
 :thumbs:
can't wait for the jambo!!

John Doe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 469
  • Male Posts: 1,587
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • Bored In Iraq.
« Reply #29 on: Dec 19, 2008, 10:15:37 AM »
B E A utiful!  :biggthumpup:
My 85 4Runner build http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=46841.0

peacesells: "Its kinda fun tryin to avoid body damage, just like playing operation with different sound effects"