Author Topic: 22R & 22RE OIL FILTER APPLICATIONS  (Read 104471 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
22R & 22RE OIL FILTER APPLICATIONS
« on: Oct 15, 2008, 05:56:24 PM »
Below is a list of filter applications for my 1989 Toyota 4Runner 22RE.  I believe the information applies to all 22R & 22RE applications and possibly most Toyota cars/trucks (I think the dealership told me once that they all used the same other than the 5.7L Tundra V8).  The larger capacity filters have been determined from the Mobil 1 filter part number that I obtained directly from Mobil 1.

WIX: 51348 standard / 51516 large capacity

NAPA GOLD (WIX) – 1348 standard / 1516 large capacity

Mobil 1: M1-102 standard / M1-209 large capacity

K&N: HP-1002 standard / HP-2009 large capacity

FRAM: PH7575, PH6016, PH3614 & DG3614 standard / PH3600 & DG3600 large capacity

Purolator: L10241 standard / L20195 large capacity

PureONE (Purolator): PL10241 standard / Unknown

Amsoil: EAO57 standard / EAO34 large capacity

Motorcraft: FL793 standard / Unknown

I prefer to run the larger capacity and the absolute best filter is the Amsoil products; however, the cost more than I'm willing to pay.  I generally run either WIX/Napa Gold or Mobil 1 filters.  The WIX filters are inexpensive, but I often opt for the Mobil 1 because it's a great product and it's the only thing I purchase from the local parts store that takes my used oil, I figure I should at least give them some business.

There is other filters available, but this list should provide adequate information for most people.  I put it together after I went looking for the large capacity Mobil 1 filter.

:driving:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: 22R & 22RE OIL FILTER APPLICATIONS
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2008, 06:12:40 PM »
the big motorcraft is fl1a

the size equivalent in of fram's ph3600 is a motorcraft fl-400s

fram filters suck

the napa filters, k&n, amsoil, and motorcraft are very good filters
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

porkchop

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 630
  • Member since Jun '07
  • Yeah 2 @ 1 time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2008, 06:26:45 PM »
I am running the blue purolator with check valve I am not sure what the # is they guy at the part store sold it to me when I told him what I did with the tuck. It was a lil pricey but well worth it. It holds a lot of oil on about any pistion with that fancy lil check valve
85 TRUCK AUSSIE IN FRONT LINCON AROUND BACK MARLIN 4" SPRINGS UP FRONT WITH 63 CHEVYS ON BACK. REBUILT 22R WITH CRAWL CAM AND FEW OTHER THINGS NOTHING HUGE JUST WAITING TO GET PROPANE ON IT. RUNNIN 35'S M/T WITH MY LONGFIELDS 30 SPLINE SUPER AXLES. 4.7's IN T-CASE AND ON THE WAY WITH DUAL CASES. FULL HYDRO WITH TG ROCK ASSULT PUMP AND 2 X 6 AG RAM

Joey88RUNR

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Male Posts: 1,057
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 2008, 06:41:00 PM »
I just go to the dealer and buy a toyota filter...what are your thoughts on those?...i dont really care for anyaftermarket stuff
SaS'd Dual ultimate crawler w/5.29s Aussie front/detriot Rear, 35's Mtr's with kevlar

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Oct 15, 2008, 06:53:47 PM »
why run the 1516 when you can run a 1068 or a 1515 for even more.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 15, 2008, 08:29:05 PM »
I just go to the dealer and buy a toyota filter...what are your thoughts on those?...i dont really care for anyaftermarket stuff

I've run Toyota, but the dealership isn't on my way to anywhere.

why run the 1516 when you can run a 1068 or a 1515 for even more.

I know there are others that fit, but I was just trying to get a "factory" larger size.  The Mobil 1 larger filter was listed as the larger capacity version of the M1-102 so it should be identical for all features not related directly to the size.  I just used that as my baseline.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Kurlee Daddee

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 206
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Dank Daddee Krew
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 16, 2008, 06:38:08 AM »

That's what I do as well. I buy 5 at a time and as many oil drain plugs. That way they last a while.
Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
2003 Subaru WRX

All_Set

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -145
  • Male Posts: 543
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • Blue Ribbon Coalition
« Reply #7 on: Oct 16, 2008, 08:18:23 AM »
I'd like to see the toyota p/n's added to that list.

My area, the Toy factory filters are $4.25  Factory check valve = good stuff. (Napa Gold was as much or more.. haha)  I change out the oil every 3K miles and don't worry about getting that additional 1/4 quart into the system.

I hate Fram. 

If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 2008, 08:50:48 AM »
Technical Service Bulletin:

There are numerous ways to determine which filter is correct for an application. Most of these are accurate and helpful. Some however, are inaccurate and outdated. The use or the incorrect filter could prove extremely detrimental to the performance and overall life of the system it is installed on. Please refer to the latest information provided by the product manufacturer.

I could come up with a ton of different filters that are not the proper filter for an application, that does not mean it is the correct filter. The interior of some filters are different than others even within the same brand depending on its intended application. It may fit but it may reduce flow or increase flow that will destroy your engine. Before you start putting on a filter that has the same size seal and thread you better make sure that the application of this filter is the same. You could be in deep poop if you don't.
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2008, 08:57:08 AM by Rocksurfer »
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #9 on: Oct 16, 2008, 09:06:18 AM »
You may also be very surprised at how many filters are made by the same manufacturer and the only difference is the packaging, name and price on the filter. WIX is a great example of this, a bunch of supposed filter manufacturer's are just re-painted WIX filters.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 16, 2008, 12:08:56 PM »
I could come up with a ton of different filters that are not the proper filter for an application, that does not mean it is the correct filter. The interior of some filters are different than others even within the same brand depending on its intended application. It may fit but it may reduce flow or increase flow that will destroy your engine. Before you start putting on a filter that has the same size seal and thread you better make sure that the application of this filter is the same. You could be in deep poop if you don't.

That is why I stated how I came up with the part number for the large capacity filters.  My quest to find a large filter started at a local auto parts store that used to sell WIX and has recently become a Napa that sells the NapaGold product that is identical.  In the past, using their old computer system, they were able to pull up the larger capacity filter for a given application if it was listed/available.  This time they did a search through the book and we compared several side by side.  I used the listed application for the larger filter that we determined to be correct to find a Mobil 1 equivalent, but the larger Mobil 1 filter did not match the standard Mobil 1 filter internally (visual inspection) and that bothered me (the NapaGold will be returned).  That is when I called Mobil 1 directly using the phone number on the box and was given the listed larger capacity filter for my application and it matched internally (visual inspection) with the standard size filter.  I figured that I could then use that filters part number for cross-reference to other brands for a larger capacity filter.

Do you agree with the method-of-my-madness?  I'm not one to go "willy-nilly" installing parts that appear to be the same on my vehicles.

:dunno:

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #11 on: Oct 16, 2008, 01:15:13 PM »
both the 1515 and the 1068 listed above are the same as far as flow rate and bypass valve PSI. 1068s are actually OE on mid 70s Toy cars.

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #12 on: Oct 16, 2008, 01:49:40 PM »
I use a Purolator L30001 in my 86

This is equivalent to the old PUR 1A (PH8,FL1A) or the common size used in alot of old cars (ford, chrysler) and for remote filter adaptors.     It's big and seems to be cheaper too....

Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 16, 2008, 01:55:11 PM »
Good thread  :thumbs:  I kept meaning to bug duff about the larger capacity napa golds since I can get our company discount there.  I think the napa gold listed for my truck only runs me like $2.35 with the discount  :haha:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #14 on: Oct 16, 2008, 07:37:43 PM »
I just wanted to throw that disclaimer out there so those that just went and matched the thread and seal size don't think that's all there is to an oil filter. I have found that for the 22r/22re that he best match for the larger capacity filter would be the older Ford/International filter. Fram's # is PH8A or Valvoline is VO1. Any cross referenced filter from any other filter manufacturer would from those two numbers would be fine.

8D3TOY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Oct 16, 2008, 08:34:05 PM »
Are there any opinions on the Bosch filters? 

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #16 on: Oct 16, 2008, 08:41:04 PM »
I just wanted to throw that disclaimer out there so those that just went and matched the thread and seal size don't think that's all there is to an oil filter. I have found that for the 22r/22re that he best match for the larger capacity filter would be the older Ford/International filter. Fram's # is PH8A or Valvoline is VO1. Any cross referenced filter from any other filter manufacturer would from those two numbers would be fine.
that is the 1515.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Oct 16, 2008, 09:32:26 PM »
http://www.knizefamily.net/minimopar/oilfilters/toyota.html

Looks like the Toyota/Denso is a great paper filter.

unclejpl4x4

• Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #18 on: Oct 24, 2008, 05:06:30 PM »
??? why has the K&N filter not make this thread :down:

i think i might have a used old on in the shed i could open it up
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Oct 24, 2008, 07:25:15 PM »
??? why has the K&N filter not make this thread :down:

i think i might have a used old on in the shed i could open it up

It's on the list!  The K&N filter is actually identical to the Mobil 1 filter with the addition of the nut.  The K&N filter is a bit more expensive, from what I've read, so you might as well go with the Mobil 1.  They are made by Champion and are the "performance" design.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Oct 25, 2008, 12:23:13 AM »
I'll have to check my filter pile tomorrow and see.  I've run the k&n on the 4by and 2wd, the 4by calling for the larger filter and the 2wd calling for a small filter.  I think I just bought the big filter for both  :dunno:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Oct 25, 2008, 12:26:26 AM »
It's on the list!  The K&N filter is actually identical to the Mobil 1 filter with the addition of the nut.  The K&N filter is a bit more expensive, from what I've read, so you might as well go with the Mobil 1.  They are made by Champion and are the "performance" design.

i think they also make the ford filters....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #22 on: Oct 25, 2008, 09:30:45 AM »
Just so people understand that don't know, all vehicles will have a bypass valve just in case something goes wrong with a filter i.e. low pressure, clogged filter, etc, etc. Now that bypass can be in a couple places and one in particular really needs to be addressed. One location is inside the engine just before the oil enters the engine, the other is inside the filter component. If you have a vehicle that is inside the filter you better make certain that any cross referenced filter has the same bypass including the amount of pressure required to actuate the valve. This is even more important in cold weather areas since if it is cold and the engine can't pump oil fast enough it will go into bypass mode until the oil warms up. If it is inside the engine and the cross referenced filter also has one it is not a big deal but you may want to make sure that the bypass is equal or higher than the one in the engine.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Oct 25, 2008, 09:34:25 AM »

i think they also make the ford filters....

Champion makes filters for a lot of people, but without cutting one open you can't know if it is a good design or not.  The link I provided earlier was from a guy that had cut one of about everthing open and identified the K&N and Mobil 1 as the same.  He was not impressed with the standard Champion design.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #24 on: Oct 25, 2008, 02:10:45 PM »
that is the 1515.
Wix ??
or NAPA ??
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

unclejpl4x4

• Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #25 on: Oct 25, 2008, 02:47:02 PM »
Wix ??
or NAPA ??

wix and napa are the same  take the wix ##### and the last are the same as the napa ###

WIX ##1516

napa 1516
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #26 on: Oct 26, 2008, 12:17:12 AM »
Wix ??
or NAPA ??
Wix Filters are NAPA filters. Joe is correct, the Wix would be a 51515.

dieselsmoke

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -40
  • Male Posts: 134
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Nov 01, 2008, 05:10:45 PM »
I like the wix filters, they tend to cose a little more but you get what you pay for. the thing to do is cut one open and see how much filter media is inside wix is generally 1/3 more surface area so the filter last longer.
as far as oil change intervals I change my oil every 10,000 miles weather it needs it or not. The thing is I use the wix filter and castrol 20w50 oil and on every fourth oil change I run a bottle of dura lube in it.
84 310.000 + miles 22r
86 had 280,000 22re sold the engine for 400.00 going with 5.0 ford
88 295,000 v6
89 crown vic 5.0 266,000 mom's old car 5.0 donor
what I tell people is when you check your oil, rub it between your thumb and fingers, if you can snap your fingers you need to change your oil. If the oil is to slick to get the friction to snap your fingers it's good to go

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Nov 02, 2008, 08:35:57 AM »
what I tell people is when you check your oil, rub it between your thumb and fingers, if you can snap your fingers you need to change your oil. If the oil is to slick to get the friction to snap your fingers it's good to go

If you can snap your finger you should have already changed your oil.  Have you ever been on BITOG forum?  Most would agree that 10,000 is possible but not many would recommend it without using synthetics.  It sounds like what you have been doing works, but it's possible to test the oil and see how well it's really working.  I read one test were they ran Mobil 1 in a Camaro until it failed analysis and they went about 18,000 miles, but they also said if it were their personal car, and not for a test, it could have come out closer to 10,000 miles.  In my opinion, oil's too cheap to risk running it too long.  My 07 Mazda going 5k per the warranty (I run Pennzoil Platinum) and the Toy goes as long as I can stand it, usually based on time rather than miles...I'm getting better about leaving it along because I know I could do 6 moth or 1-year oil changes and probably not even push the oil with the amount of miles I drive.

dieselsmoke

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -40
  • Male Posts: 134
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Nov 02, 2008, 04:21:20 PM »
I wouldn't run pennzoil anything, that oil aint no better than quaker sludge. The problem with them is they are both derived from Pennsylvania crude which is in fact one of the purest unrefined oils in the world, however it also has a parafin base which tends to cause sludge, you will be ok so long as you go back and buy more every 3k miles, but if I were you I wouldn't run it over 3.5k. mean while at 8k miles my castrol is still going strong