Author Topic: Clutch and rear main seal question.  (Read 3026 times)

shaun

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
Clutch and rear main seal question.
« on: Oct 06, 2008, 02:45:32 PM »
So a few days ago I had to park the 86' 4runner 22re (manual) again. After driving it around the neighborhood we turned back and headed up a steep hill. Thats when the trouble happened. My wife was driving and the only way she could describe it was a big v8 powered car that just lost it automatic tranny fluid. A lot off jerkiness and loss of foreward power. We got it into 4 low and then made it up hill number 1 just fine then at the near top of number hill number two it just gave up. Towed it back.

Upon inspection there was a good amount of oil in the rubber boot on the transmission that connects to the slave cylinder. As best as we can figure the rear main just fell apart as the truck sat for about 3 years. Oil made it way into the clutch and did bad stuff. I am hearing that oil can and can not get into the clutch so a little confused there. The tranny was full of fluid BTW, level with the check plug. The only tranny fluid I smelled was what I am guessing came from using 4low for the first time in 4 years.
We are getting the parts to replace the R.M.S and clutch. I was hoping that with this description someone could say check this or that also. Was thinking of replacing the transmission seal, cant think of the name off hand but the one on the other side of the clutch basically. I really don't want to have to do this again for a long time.
I will be starting this project on friday although I might go out there during the week and try to loosen some bolts. Sticky little things.
Oh will I have to drop the oil pan? I am hearing conflicting things on that.
Thanks.

Also any special tools you found that make the job easier. Going to rent a tranny jack, and buy some other items.A Pry bar, mallets, long socket extentions and some angled adapters for those weird spots.

86 4runner 22re manual tranny, all stock except it sits on 31x10.5 wheels so it's a little higher.

jamesyz250

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 21
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch and rear main seal question.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 06, 2008, 04:45:30 PM »
save your self the hassle and get a pilot bearing puller if you dont already have one! I fought that bearing for a while then just bought the cheapo kragen pillot bearing puller and it poped it out. (i had to put a nail inbetween the fingers on the puller tho because they kept pulling through the bearing..)  :-\

pumkin toy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Do You Know A Sweeney Bro?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Oct 06, 2008, 05:10:25 PM »
It could deffinately be the rear main because if your rear main goes out it WILL get oil all over your clutch and flywheel, causing it to slip pretty badly.  That could describe the jerkiness.  as far as pulling the oil pan to replace the rear main seal, that is not necessary.  just take the transmission off and you can access the rear main seal just fine.   But the rear main seal might not be your only leak.  the oil pan gasket can also leak into the bellhousing causing your clutch to slip.  while you have the transmission off you might as well replace the oil pan gasket too.  And you also dont need a pilot bearing puller to replace either one of those seals, but if you have your transmission removed you might as well check your pilot bearing and throwout bearing while you are in there!
97 4runner Limited
4runner Build Thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54076.1410#lastPost

Started my own fab business recently check out the website  www.c4fabrication.com

also follow C4Fab on facebook for regular updates on projects. http://www.facebook.com/pages/C4-Fabrication/454285357953823

shaun [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 06, 2008, 05:52:12 PM »
We are getting a full clutch kit.IIRC it is a Dakin OEM so we will be rebuilding the clutch. Will get the puller for sure.

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 06, 2008, 06:39:54 PM »
Make sure to have your flywheel resurfaced.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

shaun [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 06, 2008, 07:05:27 PM »
Was in the plan. :thumbs:

shaun [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 11, 2008, 01:58:57 AM »
 :cheese:
Okay so found out why the clutch failed. What are those clips called that clip around the clutch fork. What I mean is the fork coming out of the bell housing to the clutch release cylinder,it has small clips that just shredded apart. I need new ones. What are they called?
Best I can explain it.
Well anyways they just fell out in small parts and bounced around binding up in things.
Yes the FMS is shot, that will be tomorrow.
Damn I need a new flywheel, no room to resurface it. :puke:
Going good so far just taking it slow and easy.
So far I just disconnected the starter and drive lines and moved the hole tranny+transfer back. Just enough room.

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 11, 2008, 06:09:48 AM »
flywheels are pretty cheap, you can get a new one with core from any local autoparts store for around $50 or so..... you can also get one from marlin, that has a step in it that prolongs life and provides better engagement

those clips are just that, clips......

get them from the dealer, i dont remember the part # off hand, but dont let them sell you the indivual clips, there is one they have a listing for that is like a piece of wire and encircles the whole bearing sleeve and arm, instead of one clip on top and bottom
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #8 on: Oct 11, 2008, 03:00:23 PM »
Have the step cut at .026" on the flywheel