Author Topic: Morality/political correctness question: help  (Read 9803 times)

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Morality/political correctness question: help
« on: Aug 13, 2008, 12:40:00 PM »
A friend offered to make me a sticker poking fun at the Jeep guys that says "It's a Jaap thing, You wouldnt understand"

Is this offensive to japanese people? Even though I drive a japanese truck?

I think it is really funny.....just dont wanna offend anyone..

What do you guys think?

:headscratch:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

JanMarie13

• Queen Cookie Monster
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 924
  • Female Posts: 415
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Mmm....Tacos!
    • View Profile
Re: Morality/political correctness question: help
« Reply #1 on: Aug 13, 2008, 12:42:43 PM »
I don't feel it's offensive because it is a fact that it's a Japanese-made truck, and the statement the sticker is trying to make is that the truck is GOOD *because* it is made in Japan.
RIP Kyle, we love and miss you man.  :smooch:
thanks for the smooch I miss you too !  :yesnod:

GJToyotabug

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 969
  • Member since Jan '08
  • The bug is deep in this one
    • View Profile
    • Alcan Spring
« Reply #2 on: Aug 13, 2008, 12:43:30 PM »
i like it if i was japanese i would like it but i'm not

DTB [OP]

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 13, 2008, 12:44:35 PM »
from wiki:
"Jap is an English abbreviation of the word "Japanese." Today it is regarded as an ethnic slur, though English-speaking countries differ in the degree they consider the term offensive. Japanese Americans have come to find the term controversial or offensive, even when used as an abbreviation. [1] In the past, Jap was not considered primarily offensive; however, after the events of World War II, the term became derogatory.[2]

The official three-letter and two-letter international country codes (ISO 3166) for Japan are JPN and JP, while the international language codes (ISO 639) for Japanese are jpn and ja (not jp).

The first recorded use of Jap was in 1860 to refer to members of the Japanese embassy in the United States. An example of benign usage was the previous naming of Boondocks Road in Jefferson County, Texas, originally named "Jap Road" when it was built in 1905 to honor a popular local rice farmer from Japan.[3]

Later popularized during World War II to describe those of Japanese descent, Jap was then commonly used in newspaper headlines to refer to the Japanese and Imperial Japan. "Jap" became a derogatory term during the war, more so than "Nip."[2]Some in the United States Marine Corps also tried to combine the word "Japs" with "Apes" to create a new description, "Japes", for the Japanese. However, this new word never became popular.[2] Veteran and author Paul Fussell explains the usefulness of the word during the war for creating effective propaganda by saying that "Japs" "was a brisk monosyllable handy for slogans like "Rap the Jap" or "Let's Blast the Jap Clean Off the Map."[2]

In the United States and Canada, the term is now considered derogatory; Webster's Dictionary notes it is "usually disparaging."[4] In the United Kingdom it is considered derogatory, and the Oxford dictionary defines it as offensive.[5]

In 2003, the Japanese deputy ambassador to the United Nations, Yoshiyuki Motomurea, protested the North Korean ambassador's use of the term in retaliation for a Japanese diplomat's use of the term "North Korea" instead of the official name, "Democratic People's Republic of Korea"[6].

In Texas, under pressure from civil rights groups, Jefferson County commissioners in 2004 decided to drop the name "Jap Road" from a 4.3-mile road near the city of Beaumont. Also in adjacent Orange County, "Jap Lane" has also been targeted by civil rights groups.[7] The road was originally named for the contributions of Kichimatsu Kishi and the farming colony he founded.

[edit] Across the world

Sign advertising "Jap Rice" in SingaporeIn Singapore[8] and Hong Kong,[9] the term is used freely as a contraction of the adjective "Japanese". The Australian news service Asia Pulse also uses the term[10] In 1970, the Japanese fashion designer Kenzo Takada opened the "Jungle Jap" boutique in Paris.[11]

In Japan itself, most Japanese are apathetic about the term, according to a 2004 study.[1]"

RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

DTB [OP]

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 13, 2008, 12:46:41 PM »
I think I might have just answered my own question from that excerpt

"In Japan itself, most Japanese are apathetic about the term, according to a 2004 study."
RIP KYOTA

JanMarie13

• Queen Cookie Monster
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 924
  • Female Posts: 415
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Mmm....Tacos!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 13, 2008, 12:50:13 PM »
I think I might have just answered my own question from that excerpt

"In Japan itself, most Japanese are apathetic about the term, according to a 2004 study."

:psss:  apathetic meaning, they simply just don't really care (for those who may need help with that)

Also, you're being forced to use a special form of the word/abbreviation (Jaap) in order for people to get that it's a pun on Jeep.  :yupyup:
RIP Kyle, we love and miss you man.  :smooch:
thanks for the smooch I miss you too !  :yesnod:

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 13, 2008, 01:10:43 PM »
I doubt any reasonable person, regardless of nation origin, would be offended by that. I wouldn't see it as any different from us being called Yanks.

Besides, if you find the one that is offended by Jaap...tell them it's Swedish and pronounced Jahp. Or you could tell them it stands for Japanese American Alliance for Performance.

I leap at the opportunity to offend the easily offended.
« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2008, 01:20:32 PM by abnormaltoy »
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Richmondo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 13, 2008, 01:11:31 PM »
I like it a lot.

In this case the context of the word Jap is good, you're praising Japanese engineering, but I can see how it could be offensive to some.
It was just crazy to see this deer leap all suicidal style off this embankment right in front of us.

MissTaco

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Female Posts: 33
  • Member since Jun '08
  • So there I was....
    • View Profile
    • ManningCreations
« Reply #8 on: Aug 13, 2008, 02:26:49 PM »
I also enjoy it.  Make me one too DTB!!   :thumbs:
1998 Toyota Tacoma Ext Cab TRD SR5
9K Warn Winch, ARB front bumper
2.5" lift, 33x12.50x15 Cooper STT.

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 13, 2008, 02:28:56 PM »
its like a white guy calling a black guy a nigga......
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

solar86yota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 296
  • Member since Mar '08
  • Solar-Rockin' the IFS till it dies!(Then it sits)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 13, 2008, 02:29:35 PM »
I DONT think "Jap" is a good word to use because of it's hateful meaning. (especially around and during World War II) How about something like "It's a Japanese Engineering thing, You American Engineers just wouldn't understand"
By the time I get the money for an SAS I'll be 65 at this rate!

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 13, 2008, 02:36:59 PM »
I DONT think "Jap" is a good word to use because of it's hateful meaning. (especially around and during World War II) How about something like "It's a Japanese Engineering thing, You American Engineers just wouldn't understand"

Well i think the overall purpose is to poke fun at the Jeep Thing stickers and By the time you put that whole phrase on a bumper sticker it would be too small to read.
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 13, 2008, 02:38:46 PM »
Really, is this seriously being debated on in this day and age???  I though we as a country had transcended the stereotypes of yesteryear and learned that being PC is utter and complete bull crap.  Make me one too, if we spend all our time worrying about hurting someones feelers we won't be living at all....    ::)

Oh yea, Prismo beat ya to it about 4-5 years ago...   :flipoff:
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 13, 2008, 02:40:20 PM »
its like a white guy calling a black guy a nigga......

Not even close.  Find me a reference for jaap being a slur and I'll fed ex ya a cookie.

MissTaco

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Female Posts: 33
  • Member since Jun '08
  • So there I was....
    • View Profile
    • ManningCreations
« Reply #14 on: Aug 13, 2008, 02:43:26 PM »

Not even close.  Find me a reference for jaap being a slur and I'll fed ex ya a cookie.

Will you FedEx me a cookie anyways?  I really like cookies.  :greengrin:
1998 Toyota Tacoma Ext Cab TRD SR5
9K Warn Winch, ARB front bumper
2.5" lift, 33x12.50x15 Cooper STT.

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Aug 13, 2008, 03:02:45 PM »
Sure thing if you agree help me in assisting in the DEpussification of the USA. :D

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Aug 13, 2008, 03:03:01 PM »
Really, is this seriously being debated on in this day and age???  I though we as a country had transcended the stereotypes of yesteryear and learned that being PC is utter and complete bull crap.  Make me one too, if we spend all our time worrying about hurting someones feelers we won't be living at all....    ::)

Oh yea, Prismo beat ya to it about 4-5 years ago...   :flipoff:

I agree completely. PC is nothing but censorship.

I found a funny article in Wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offensive_terms_per_nationality

I have been called many of these, but took offense to none. Ethnically I am cracker/hillbilly/hill jack/stump jumper/kike/hymie/mick/hebe/kraut/polack/yid/hun/honky/ofay!  :greengrin: I need to get a gub'mint program started to help me out.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Aug 13, 2008, 03:46:20 PM »
I agree completely. PC is nothing but censorship.

I found a funny article in Wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offensive_terms_per_nationality

I have been called many of these, but took offense to none. Ethnically I am cracker/hillbilly/hill jack/stump jumper/kike/hymie/mick/hebe/kraut/polack/yid/hun/honky/ofay!  :greengrin: I need to get a gub'mint program started to help me out.

BWAHAHAHAHAAHA!!!!  I'm a mick too...  The thing that gets me is you'd be hard pressed to find a "white guy" that'd take offense to being called most of those..  Kyke and mick maybe but thats about it...   I'm a cracker and proud of it! :hahaha:

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Aug 13, 2008, 03:50:32 PM »

BWAHAHAHAHAAHA!!!!  I'm a mick too...  The thing that gets me is you'd be hard pressed to find a "white guy" that'd take offense to being called most of those..  Kyke and mick maybe but thats about it...   I'm a cracker and proud of it! :hahaha:

The only group I couldn't find a name for was Scottish...that part of me is just niggardly.

I revel in all my slurisitudes.

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #19 on: Aug 13, 2008, 03:53:51 PM »
who is really gonna come up to you and say "that offends me!" or just put the "aa" upside down or something. idk, i wouldnt worry about it at all. if someone really says somethign splain it to em then takeoff.
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Aug 13, 2008, 03:59:27 PM »
who is really gonna come up to you and say "that offends me!"

Have you ever, or do you now work in an office? You just can't talk "guy talk" anymore...unless you're gay and recounting to your coworkers tales of your exploits.  :puke:

Half the stuff we talk about on here would get us fired or sent to a gender/sexual orientation sensitivity class.

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #21 on: Aug 13, 2008, 04:12:17 PM »
Have you ever, or do you now work in an office? You just can't talk "guy talk" anymore...unless you're gay and recounting to your coworkers tales of your exploits.  :puke:

Half the stuff we talk about on here would get us fired or sent to a gender/sexual orientation sensitivity class.
nope. im 15. and at my job im the only male in the part of the restaurant that i work and here more stuff tahn i would ever share from the other waitresses. i guess maybe in your area its worse. :dunno:

btw. i plan on never working an office job ever.
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Aug 13, 2008, 04:15:08 PM »

actually it is a slur...... denotes connotations from the war... "the only good jap is a dead jap" among others......

i dont need the cookie, im already a fatass.....

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #23 on: Aug 13, 2008, 04:52:52 PM »

I leap at the opportunity to offend the easily offended.

Sir, that offends me! :tantrum:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Aug 13, 2008, 04:57:05 PM »
i personally don't really care,  but jap does have negative connotations to it.....

as do: fob, flip, chink, wetback, spic, nigga, and displaying of the rebel confederate flag, et al

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Aug 13, 2008, 05:16:43 PM »
i personally don't really care,  but jap does have negative connotations to it.....

as do: fob, flip, chink, wetback, spic, nigga, and displaying of the rebel confederate flag, et al

I don't believe that flag belongs with that list, but I guess thats not the point.

Is Jap offensive?  could be to some people.  Do I personally care?  No. 

Thats the issue though.  Anything can be offensive, and we're (the conservatives) are supposed to cater to those that are offended, instead of makign them deal with it. 
« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2008, 05:55:16 PM by BLACKDOG »
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Aug 13, 2008, 05:46:40 PM »
It offends me that some people have made a symbol of MY heritage as a Southerner (Confederate Battle Flag) into a racial negative. It's just a convenient item to hang their hate on.

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Aug 13, 2008, 05:54:24 PM »
It offends me that some people have made a symbol of MY heritage as a Southerner (Confederate Battle Flag) into a racial negative. It's just a convenient item to hang their hate on.

:werd:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #28 on: Aug 13, 2008, 06:48:05 PM »
Amen brother
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Richmondo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Aug 13, 2008, 07:35:00 PM »

BWAHAHAHAHAAHA!!!!  I'm a mick too...  The thing that gets me is you'd be hard pressed to find a "white guy" that'd take offense to being called most of those..  Kyke and mick maybe but thats about it...   I'm a cracker and proud of it! :hahaha:

I'm going to go ahead and throw Nazi into that list too. I don't mind it if it's being used like the "Soup Nazi." Being called one because I have a buzz cut, blue eyes, and a SUPER German last name does bother me, but once again it depends on the context.
It was just crazy to see this deer leap all suicidal style off this embankment right in front of us.