Author Topic: Bit O' computer tech  (Read 2834 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Bit O' computer tech
« on: Jul 10, 2008, 06:37:34 PM »
1) does anyone else have a problem with the board loading slowly lately?  and weird? When the main forum comes up, and I scrolls down, the page doesn't move, it just kinda extends and repeats itself.  Also, when I am typing, sometimes the letters don't come up, but the little prompt line moves forward, and then after several seconds, the letters will show up.  In fact, its doing it right now.  I've tried restarting my computer, but it doesn't really help.  this is the only website I've had the problem with.  Pirate, greasemonkey, rockbrawlers, they all work fine. 

2) I'm pretty much computer illeterate, and I'm not sure how to clean it up, so it can run faster.  I've got windows live care to protect it, but I don't really even know how to use it.  I've been reading a bit about istuff like this, and I guess a lot of people have problems with  all the application that start at startup, and then run behind the scenes?  How do I look at that, and get rid of the ones I don't want to run.

I'm using windows vista
« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2008, 06:43:36 PM by BLACKDOG »
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Bit O' computer tech
« Reply #1 on: Jul 10, 2008, 06:39:00 PM »
my does the same thing occasionally, or the forum will show up in a superbasic format, without the borders or anything, after loading a new page or reloading it goes away. but lately i have also been having the problem with it not wanting to scroll down.
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 10, 2008, 06:45:30 PM »
i think its a forum issue... i get the same thing once and awhile.....

i love this forum, but its software is outdated and its server is overloaded
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 10, 2008, 06:54:23 PM »
i think its a forum issue... i get the same thing once and awhile.....

i love this forum, but its software is outdated and its server is overloaded

Thats kinda what I was thinking.  Still would like to clear up my computer though.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 10, 2008, 06:58:00 PM »

Thats kinda what I was thinking.  Still would like to clear up my computer though.

delete temp files, cookies, and history, reset settings so it doesnt store as much history stuff..... run defragment... run the anti spyware stuff

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #5 on: Jul 10, 2008, 07:41:37 PM »
I have the same problem on I.E. but not on Firefox and this is on the same computer.  Happens the same on my work computer too. Get Firefox and that problem is gone.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 10, 2008, 07:57:44 PM »
I have the same problem on I.E. but not on Firefox and this is on the same computer.  Happens the same on my work computer too. Get Firefox and that problem is gone.

Hmmm, might do that. 

delete temp files, cookies, and history, reset settings so it doesnt store as much history stuff..... run defragment... run the anti spyware stuff

I know that much :gap:  that stuff is all at the bare minimum.

-Ronald Reagan

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #7 on: Jul 10, 2008, 08:00:55 PM »
i'm running firefox  and it does it to me,  not doing it now but at times,  i have Zonealarm antivirus and anti spyware

still does it at times
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #8 on: Jul 10, 2008, 08:06:58 PM »
I believe it has something to do with the shoutbox reloading. BD get firefox you'll love it. I didn't make it my default browser but maybe someone here can enlighten us on if it works as good as a browser as it does on the .net.

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #9 on: Jul 10, 2008, 08:45:45 PM »
i have firefox and it will mess up still.
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 10, 2008, 09:32:42 PM »
 The problem is most likely that the host is having trouble handling the bandwidth during peak usage.
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 10, 2008, 09:36:11 PM »
ive used firefox as well, it was installed on my machine when i got it... i dont see any difference in browsing, but maybe im jsut not a hardcore computer user

~ John F. Kennedy ~

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #12 on: Jul 10, 2008, 09:38:56 PM »
Same problem on IE, but only at work, not at home.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 10, 2008, 10:33:25 PM »
I've noticed that recently and thought it was just my :pokinit: dell, and I ONLY run firefox and have the refresh disabled on the shoutbox too!  It usually happens to me the later I'm on, like after midnight.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 12, 2008, 10:53:14 AM »
I've noticed lately, and it seems worse today, that when scrolling down or up the page...sometimes the text will streeeeeeeetch and freeze for a moment.

Also, that there seems to a sort of a Hyper-refresh going on. Every few seconds, speaker on, I can hear a fast series of clicks and if I'm typing while that happens the cursor will freeze, no letters show and the cursor will sometimes freaking take off and float around the text box!
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #15 on: Jul 12, 2008, 01:31:10 PM »
I think that is another product of I.E. it does that for me too, but Firefox does not.

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jul 12, 2008, 01:40:50 PM »
I think that is another product of I.E. it does that for me too, but Firefox does not.

This is the only place it happens!

I've run every scan that I know of, no bugs in my PC...if it's not the unintended consequence of a security fix, I don't know what it could be.
« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2008, 01:48:33 PM by abnormaltoy »
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #17 on: Jul 12, 2008, 01:45:58 PM »
Yeah I know it only happens here to, except for that page stretchy thing which I have had happen on other sites too.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jul 12, 2008, 05:08:39 PM »
The only problem I have is too many people use my computer! 

But with this site, is the shoutbox, I have to hit refresh at the top of the page in order to be able to type in the shoutbox! 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jul 12, 2008, 06:33:27 PM »
I get the rapid clicks, the dragging page, the no letter when typing, I have all of the listed problems, but only on this site. Plus i get the shoutbox loading when not even on the main page (like the Marlin board is watching you thread said). Again, it only does it on this site, I have not had a problem on any others. I thought it was just my computer, but it even does it on my brand new laptop. :dunno: I started noticing all of these problems a month or two ago, it has not always been like this, and it does it on all 4 of my computers.