Author Topic: 5 Speed transmission chipped teeth in gearbox  (Read 1428 times)

Big Hilux

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1
  • Member since Jul '08
  • Cost A Plenty
    • View Profile
5 Speed transmission chipped teeth in gearbox
« on: Jul 10, 2008, 01:32:59 PM »
Okay just read my profile and it will tell you what my truck consists of :wave:

A few weeks back I drove back from East London which is about 200km from Queenstown, I was driving at +- 100 to 120 km per hour on a tar surface road, I was also expirencing a vibration at 100km per hout, knowing that is must have been coming from the rear propshaft, thus I removed the shaft and sent it in fpr repairs, they then told me that the cups on the cardan joint are worn, thus I sent them another front propshaft and they fitted that 2nd hand joint to my rear propshaft, to buy a new joint here costs R3 500. which is a lot of rands in our money.

Anyway if I start the engine, the vehicle is in neutral, this noise can be heard in the transmission, if I press the clutch pedal in, the noise goes away, knowing that the gearbox is now not turning, thus knowing that the vibration would not chip a gear, my question is what would have caused this to happen?

There is clean oil in the gearbox as well as in the transfer case.
It was put in last December, I have not used the truck much this year due to a lower back operation on my body frame a special coil spring was inserted between the F4 and F5 vertebre (that is another story of its own) anyway thus this is why the oil is still clean, I am open to any suggestions of what could have caused this problem, I did have the gearbox and transfer cases completely reconditioned about three years back at the same time when The Marlin Crawler adapter plate was installed at the same time, could it not be the high torque that my vehicle now has due to the 33's and super low range?

Any suggestions are welcome.
Thankyou
I've got more balls than you  !!!!!!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: 5 Speed transmission chipped teeth in gearbox
« Reply #1 on: Jul 10, 2008, 01:48:23 PM »
:headscratch:  ok,  so  you fixed the rear drive shaft, that had worn caps on the ujoint, correct??   and  you have some noise when the transmission is in neutral??

does it ever fall out of gear  going down the road??

1992 Toyota Hilux, single cab 4x4, twin stick, ARB Lockers front & rear, revolver shackles rear, snorkel, 4Y with branches & free flow, dual roll bars, side rock sliders, 33" x 1250 x 15" mounted to 8J American steel rims, front lengthened propshaft used at the rear, done away with the centre bearing, 3" suspension lift, Black Diamond blades upfront, std Hilux at the rear, OME gas Landcruiser shocks all round, Marlin Crawler KEW 8000 electric winch up front incorperated into my own manufactured front bumper then a few more mods.
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

jonathan82toy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 502
  • Member since Mar '07
  • 1St Gens Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 10, 2008, 02:56:30 PM »
I spoke with our transmission builder Angelo about this. When in nuetral if you hear noise, and it goes away with the clutch disengaged then, it could 5 things. It could be either the Input Bearing, Pocket Bearing, Front Counter Bearing, or the Rear Counter Bearing.  Only way to tell is to open it up.   :turtle:
What Is The Truth Behind The Magic Turtle Breeding Program?

S.S. More Powerful Than Superman, Batman, Spiderman And The Incredible Hulk Put Together.

LONGDROP

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 10, 2008, 11:29:09 PM »
It does not jump out of any gear, selection is fine, the normal rough selection that we get from these old transmissions, will let you know what we find once we open the box, Thankyou for the replys :crossed: