Author Topic: Truck vs. 4Runner  (Read 5453 times)

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Truck vs. 4Runner
« on: Jun 15, 2008, 04:10:08 PM »
alright, so right now i have a choice between a 1989 Pickup or an early 90's 4runner, both V6, and both are clean (body wise, and interior)

so, what im looking for is opinions as to why one is preferable over another. just want to know what people think and what you would choose. :thumbs:

P.S. i did a search and didnt come up with anything related, sorry if i missed something. if so point me in the right direction and ill see what i come up with.
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

UKMyers

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 188
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
Re: Truck vs. 4Runner
« Reply #1 on: Jun 15, 2008, 05:55:37 PM »
They are basically the same to build. Do you have a family? Having 4 seats in a capable rig is awesome sometimes. Are looking to build something hardcore with an exo cage? 90's runners have a ton of sheet metal. You really have to ask yourself what you want to do with the rig. I have a 94 built runner that I love for I use it for. Sometimes I wish I had beat up single cab with a full exo though so I had to option to run lines like the sluice box without destroying my rig if I wanted to.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 15, 2008, 06:26:26 PM »
Key thing is to decide what you want to use it for.

Runner:  More space is nice, but you don't have a bed to throw greasy parts, tools, firewood, etc.  in.  Granted, you can just cover the carpet or something, but it sure is nice not to have to worry about it.  Top heavy, more glass and sheet metal to damage if you want it to be a hardcore wheeler

Pickup: not as much space, pretty much need to either have a truckbox or leave any tools, jumper cables, spare fluids, etc in the bed, can't store it in the cab very well.  (talking around town type stuff, not wheeling trips)  less sheetmetal/glass to keep pristine. 

:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

ROCKO

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -49
  • Male Posts: 743
  • Member since Sep '07
  • NOR-CAL WHEELIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 15, 2008, 07:04:32 PM »
question should be..... do i want to take 1 friend or do i want to take 4 friends camping with all my stuff to have fun on the trail.
thats what i asked myself a went with a runner :thumbs:
JUST ANOTHER ROCK CRAWLER....
with a lot of good stuff

F@$K CANCER

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 15, 2008, 07:14:18 PM »
question should be..... do i want to take 1 friend or do i want to take 4 friends camping with all my stuff to have fun on the trail.
thats what i asked myself a went with a runner :thumbs:

Question I'd be asking myself then, is why don't my friends own their own vehicles?  :gap:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 15, 2008, 07:19:36 PM »
I bought a 4runner simply because I wanted a convertible (first gen runner), 5 passenger truck. I love the pick ups but all my friends had them and one thing that always irked me was lack of interior space. The extra cab third gens are pretty roomy but not enough for my taste. I wanted to be able to take at least 2 people comfortably, more if need be. Plus I wanted to be able to take my dog with me where she could be safe from the elements (think winter) and also something that would be comfortable to sleep in. I just cover the bed and put the seats down if i need to haul stuff. IMO its all what you want to use it for. Those were my requirements so I went with a 4runner. My girlfriend has a pick up and it is really nice to have a truck for hauling big loads, lots of dogs, dirty loads or for when you don't want a bunch of your bum friends tagging along :)

Either way you just need to examine your needs and see which one is the more logical choice for what you want to use it for.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,897
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 15, 2008, 07:21:21 PM »
i would go with the 4runner cause it has more space and your stuff has a tendency to stay out of bad weather
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #7 on: Jun 15, 2008, 07:24:14 PM »
The only difference between a 4Runner and a pickup, it is harder to make a truggie out of a 4Runner after you've beat the snot out of the body.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

JohnHalladay

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -6
  • Male Posts: 221
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 15, 2008, 07:57:41 PM »
i like pickups more than runners. i like having a bed and being able to throw sh** in. and then you dont have all the glass to worry about breaking. and you can put fire wood in it. and if your worryed about you crap gettin wet get a canopy

topar

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,909
  • Member since Aug '06
  • One Toyota + One Mopar = Topar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 15, 2008, 08:11:32 PM »
I built my truck before my son was born.  I did not think about future wheeling.  Now I have to think about do I take a buddy or my son.  Since he is only two its not that big of a deal when he gets older buddies will have to find there own way.  I wish I had built a runner or a four seat buggy.  Just my   :twocents:

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #10 on: Jun 15, 2008, 09:48:55 PM »
awesome, thanks for the opinions everybody :thumbs:

id like to think id be doing hardcore wheeling, but its all about learning about the rig before going sas and huge tires. so itd be mostly camping trips with some wheeling to get to destinations and itd be nice to be able to haul friends and whatever, ut my truck is an extra cab anyways (i dont care how much room they have, i wont ever ride in the back) definitely nice to be able to throw :pokinit: in the back, but ill probly get one of those plastic tubs and then i can throw whatever greasy :pokinit: in the back of a 4runner...hauling quads/dirtbikes on a trailer is way easier anyways. idk, im not really partial to either. i could use either vehicle just as well, and both have ups and downs to em.

anymore opinions please post up
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

toyotanner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 66
  • Male Posts: 1,958
  • Member since Oct '07
  • low n slow
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 15, 2008, 09:52:53 PM »
4runners are kind of a pain when wheeling lots of blind spots

JohnHalladay

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 15, 2008, 10:00:32 PM »
true that tanner

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 15, 2008, 10:09:30 PM »
4runners are kind of a pain when wheeling lots of blind spots

Not really, especially if you take the top off. Can't speak for later generations but I have no visibility issues, top on or off in my 85. Of course nothing beats a single cab truck but its definitely has not hindered me in the past.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

JohnHalladay

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jun 15, 2008, 10:12:12 PM »
yea i just depends on what your doin with the rig. thats the biggest factor. i have done construction in the past and you cant put a peace of pli wood and a load of 2x4's in a runner.

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jun 15, 2008, 10:13:04 PM »
truck over 2nd gen runner every time. first gen runner and any truck is all i will ever want/own. In your case, if it was a 2nd gen with the 4 cyl, i might consider it, but probably not.

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jun 15, 2008, 10:39:39 PM »
Any 1st gen 4Runner with the removable top is the best.  It's a truck but it has a shell on it - and you can get to the back without going around.  Very nice in cold and rainy weather as well - your stuff stays dry.  Best of both worlds, IMO, especially for what you say you want it for - learning to wheel and camping and such.  2nd Gen is frankly just a very nice SUV.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #17 on: Jun 16, 2008, 06:09:28 PM »
Blind spots don't usually bother me, this is the 1st truck I've owned that didn't have a shell on it so I have all the blind spots you could ask for.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

ROCKO

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '07
  • NOR-CAL WHEELIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jun 16, 2008, 06:15:32 PM »

Question I'd be asking myself then, is why don't my friends own their own vehicles?  :gap:

its a red  wagon.......orfonage cariage :rofl:

for all my crawler friends that want to go wheelin' that have not got one yet thats why i bought a 4-runner and soon to change
« Last Edit: Jun 16, 2008, 06:24:45 PM by ROCKO »
with a lot of good stuff

F@$K CANCER

ROCKO

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '07
  • NOR-CAL WHEELIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jun 16, 2008, 06:19:28 PM »
i like pickups more than runners. i like having a bed and being able to throw sh** in. and then you dont have all the glass to worry about breaking. and you can put fire wood in it. and if your worryed about you crap gettin wet get a canopy
double post sorry...
for some reason im the one going to get fire wood......get a canvise top
with a lot of good stuff

F@$K CANCER

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jun 16, 2008, 06:31:11 PM »
Keep in mind he is looking for advice on a 3rd gen pickup, or a second gen runner :thumbs:  I'd agree hands down that a 1st gen runner is the best overall option :yesnod:  get the best of both worlds. 

-Ronald Reagan

lucky7

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 303
  • Male Posts: 778
  • Member since Sep '07
  • CAN'T POLISH A TURD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jun 16, 2008, 08:17:29 PM »
I like my 2nd gen but need to do a little work on rear bumper.Soon to build 4 door taco see how that works i vote runner. :cool:

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #22 on: Jun 16, 2008, 09:32:17 PM »
im looking into an 85 runner, theres a few of em within driving distance, but i need to get osmetihn pretty solid worked out before i can be for sure. but either way i think ive decided against the 2nd gen runner.

thanks for the help :thumbs:

also: would  a runner bumper work on a truck? it has much more side corner protection than a pickup bumper does, im referring to stock bumpers

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jun 16, 2008, 09:38:31 PM »
im looking into an 85 runner, theres a few of em within driving distance, but i need to get osmetihn pretty solid worked out before i can be for sure. but either way i think ive decided against the 2nd gen runner.

thanks for the help :thumbs:

also: would  a runner bumper work on a truck? it has much more side corner protection than a pickup bumper does, im referring to stock bumpers

:thumbs: good choice.  I love my truck, but if I could do it again, I'd go 1st gen as well. 

:dunno: about the bumper, I imagine its prolly close, might have to do some slight mods, but no big deal

-Ronald Reagan

slabcs

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 329
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jun 16, 2008, 11:42:30 PM »
My first gen 4Runners are nice, but there is less room for crap.  Taking the top off is a major plus.  Also the back seat is NOT for adults, you can ask BD and Ruger about that, haha...
Relentless

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jun 17, 2008, 12:22:14 PM »
Well the back seat is fine for adults if you compare it to most cars. (ever try to fit into the rear of a 3 series?) Other than the wedging yourself in past the seat that is - heh.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jun 17, 2008, 12:29:14 PM »
My first gen 4Runners are nice, but there is less room for crap.  Taking the top off is a major plus.  Also the back seat is NOT for adults, you can ask BD and Ruger about that, haha...

:rofl:

-Ronald Reagan

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 7,509
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jun 18, 2008, 03:00:52 PM »

Yup,I agree 100%!!!!.When I was a senior in HS I had a 1981 Toyota 4X4.Most of my friends had cars and 1 friend once told me "F**k dude,you should sell this thing and buy a car,you can't fit more than 1 passenger in here".I pretty much told him to F  :lipsrsealed: K off and didn't hang out with him much after that.Then I was real careful with who I hung out with after that...Sorry NORCALToy,I know my reply was worthless,but I have to agree with BD here.Don't ask yourself how many friends can I bring.F  :lipsrsealed: k'um,if they wanna come along they can bring their own trucks.For me personally I need the seats cargo space because I have a wife and kids so I would take the 4 Runner.If I didn't have a wife or kids I would definately take the truck because I've always liked trucks,specially 3rd gens...2 things that can help you decide is that the 4Runner is gonna be a little more top heavy and if you ride dirt bikes or plan on carrying dirtbikes or quads a truck would be more favorable  :twocents: .
« Last Edit: Jun 18, 2008, 03:09:00 PM by Infernal »
WWW.GLOBALOFFROADSUPPLY.COM

Support Your Local Brawlers
 www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #28 on: Jun 18, 2008, 03:18:05 PM »
yea i think ive pretty much decide on the truck, found an engine and i think my parents are gonna help me out, so its ok.

not worthless there was some helpful insight as to dont hang out with retards. gotta think about the haulin chicks part though :eyebrow:

but its an extra cab and itsmy truck so im not really worried about how much room the passengers have. so thatnks for the help guys :thumbs:

also: yea i ride, right now its a POS arctic cat that ive thorughly beat down, but soon hopefully a 99KX 250

854RUN

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 30
  • Male Posts: 890
  • Member since Mar '06
  • 4WHEEL 4EVER
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jun 18, 2008, 03:25:53 PM »
go with a 1st gen runner. you have a truck right? I use to put parts (axle,tranny) in the back of my runner but now its bobbed and dove tailed so i use my truck for that sh$t.
1985 4RUNNER (rip) http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54940.0

1997 T100, 4.88, DUAL T-CASE, R151, lockright in the rear, Alcan springs, 37"S, Bobbed 15", 3.4L TRD Supercharger, JBL headers 
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=35174.0

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimmy Hendrix

-JOSH-