Author Topic: Aw HELL  (Read 3536 times)

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Aw HELL
« on: May 13, 2008, 08:37:43 AM »
So yesterday we went to deliver Matt's truck to the new owner.  On the way there we ran out of gas in the truck, so he coasted into a gas station to put gas in it.... So I parked on the opposite side of the pump in the Acura.... and the Acura dies.  :tantrum: WTF!  Apparently the alternator went out and I was running on the battery.

Wierdness: The charging system in the Acura

The voltage light on the instrument cluster comes on whenever the car is below 2800 RPM.  Once the car goes over 2800 RPM, the charging system light goes off.

So to make a long story short, we had a friend of ours bring us tools and Matt's mom ended up picking us up and taking us to Walmart where we bought a new battery and drove home on battery power.  :tantrum: Anyone want an Acura Legend?

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
Re: Aw HELL
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 08:44:38 AM »
That sucks! I hate double whammies.  :therethere:  :smooch:

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 09:22:45 AM »
When it rains, it pours!
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 11:03:57 AM »
When it rains, it pours!

That's exactly what I said!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 11:28:48 AM »
:rain:   that sucks giant harry monkey  nads
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 11:41:48 AM »
Pull the alternator and put new brushes in it.  Its a $20 fix I've been there....  Now it charges over 2800, give it a few days and it'll keep going up till your running down the freeway at 4k in 3rd gear like I did...  Oh and even if it doesn't put the light over 2800 doesn't mean its charging worth a crap....  yet another TRUST me deal. :hahaha:
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

Tallchevy

• Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 11:51:34 AM »
What a day  :smack:

Pull the alternator and put new brushes in it.  Its a $20 fix I've been there....  Now it charges over 2800, give it a few days and it'll keep going up till your running down the freeway at 4k in 3rd gear like I did...  Oh and even if it doesn't put the light over 2800 doesn't mean its charging worth a crap....  yet another TRUST me deal. :hahaha:
:shake: I just went through this on my Acura. I did the exact same thing. I took the alt out & thought I would save a $100 by changing the brushes only to have the charge light stay on  :maddest: What a waste of time to have to pull that alt out twice being that it is stuffed in so well. Just change the alt & be done  :twocents:

:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 12:02:31 PM »
I'm with whitey, just change the brushes.  My 91 toy did the same thing forever, then the light came on permanently a couple miles from home (I started packing a spare optima just incase).  I'd already ordered the brushes, so I just changed them when I got home and all's good.  Best thing of all, no crappy replacement alternator, and when it needs bearings I'll just change them too!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 02:27:15 PM »
Thanks guys..... Abnormaltoy, what year is yer acura?

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 03:31:25 PM »

Um...I think you're thinking of Tallchevy350.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 03:42:33 PM »
$100 savings??  HELL NO!!!  The best price I could get even with GOOD connections was $160 and I would have had to order it for the next day delivery ...  The brushes cost me $18.40 plus about half an hour to drive there and back to pick them up....
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

Tallchevy

• Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 08:29:21 PM »
Mine was a 91 Integra with a low mount alt between the firewall & block & was a pregnant dog to get out  :smack: (twice!)

$100 savings??  HELL NO!!!  The best price I could get even with GOOD connections was $160 and I would have had to order it for the next day delivery ...  The brushes cost me $18.40 plus about half an hour to drive there and back to pick them up....
The alt for the Integra was actually $140 & the brushes were $6. I spent more money & time then I had to  :thumbdown:

:shhh: I get a better price than the guys that work at the parts store  :yupyup:
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2008, 11:26:13 AM »
Um...I think you're thinking of Tallchevy350.

:doh: Yeah... I'm multi tasking and missed that one by a long shot :bricks:

I replaced the alternator.  With my discount I ended up forking out $100 total for the alternator after returning the core.  It fixed the problem, so I'm satisfied!

To be honest, that alternator r/r was the one of the easiest repairs I've ever done as far as engine work goes!! :woohoo: It took me bout 45 mins cuz I wasn't sure what I was doing, but it was EASY!!! :) Right on top of the engine :yupyup: