Author Topic: Converting smoker's window to full window on door  (Read 4074 times)

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
Converting smoker's window to full window on door
« on: Jan 27, 2008, 04:30:29 PM »
Is it possible to remove the smoker's window from a door and install the guts from a different door with a full window? I have a complete door with the full window and want to install that into a door that has a smoker's window in it currently. Is it possible? It looks like it could be done.

As you can see my two doors have different setups. I want to have two full windows.
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
ekk   thats a good ?  wish i knew glen might
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
:eek:  i'll look at some of my doors  tomorrow  and  try and figure that out for ya
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
I've been curious about this two but the other way around. when my power windows go out I want to replace them with manual windows with a wing.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
i don't know but arnt the wing windows have there own holes/brackets

and what about the angle of the frame  :dunno:
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

alwayzbroken [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
i don't know but arnt the wing windows have there own holes/brackets

and what about the angle of the frame  :dunno:

The only difference would be on the inside because otherwise the actual door looks identical. I assume Toyota used the same basic door then just used different hardware etc. from there. As long as nothing is welded I would think it would work.

DanS

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 434
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
I have a friend that swapped out the 'vent' windows from his 87 Pickup to his 85 4Runner with no problems. Because he had both side by side he was able to use all the hardware. Hope it helps, DanS
Wow, been looking at my 4Runner rust away too long, need some inspiration and here I will find it...!

85 Toyota 4Runner, solid axle, 22Re, original paint and graphics and not a straight panel to be found!

alwayzbroken [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
I have a friend that swapped out the 'vent' windows from his 87 Pickup to his 85 4Runner with no problems. Because he had both side by side he was able to use all the hardware. Hope it helps, DanS

The 4Runner had a full window to begin with I assume? Thanks.

DanS

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
The 4Runner had a full window to begin with I assume? Thanks.
Yes, sorry I wasn't clear.
Wow, been looking at my 4Runner rust away too long, need some inspiration and here I will find it...!

85 Toyota 4Runner, solid axle, 22Re, original paint and graphics and not a straight panel to be found!

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
it is swapable you just need all the guts from the other style window
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

DanS

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
it is swapable you just need all the guts from the other style window
Yes!

alwayzbroken [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
Good news. Thanks! And yes I have all the parts from the old door to swap.  :beer: :beer:

OOPS

• Online The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Bolt in, bolt out.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Bolt in, bolt out.

:yesnod:

Both doors will have all the holes drilled for both window styles.  When I gutted my half doors, I checked on it.  :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

alwayzbroken [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
Thats just what I wanted to hear. I will post up any other things that I find when I do it. Probably sometime soon if it warms up in the next couple weeks.

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
i have a set of solid windowed doors if you need any parts, think i sold one of the regulators though
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

alwayzbroken [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
i have a set of solid windowed doors if you need any parts, think i sold one of the regulators though

Thanks Jimbo but fortunately I have the full original door. It had a large dent so I put on a different door that had the wing window when the truck was painted. I would leave it on but somebody welded near the window glass and pitted the window pretty bad. I want to tint the windows but can't with that glass pitted. I figured if I have to put new glass in I might as well put the original full window in so both sides match.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
The one thing you will have to do is, pop out a little piece of metal.  It is at the bottom of the strip that separates the two windows.  Once you get it all apart you will see what I'm talking about.  But they are the same, and interchangeable.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen