Author Topic: Need info: Keyless Remotes  (Read 1735 times)

CTENG in KS

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
Need info: Keyless Remotes
« on: Dec 15, 2007, 12:04:17 PM »
The buttons on my keyless remote for the Subaru are getting funky.  The button on the board has lost its spring back ness.

What is the deal with these.  I believe it is an aftermarket setup from the PO.  I have the FCC ID off the fob and searched, it pulled a bunch of different things up.

Can I use any remote with a matching ID?  Will I be able to program a different manufacturers remote to my unit with the same FCC ID?  Or do I have to figure out who made mine and buy a specific one?

Thanks!
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Re: Need info: Keyless Remotes
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2007, 01:42:20 PM »
A key guy or one of those little alarm shops should be able to make a new one for you. Basically they ar similar to garage door openers except there are no switches, they scrape the #'s off on the circuit board to match the head unit. Just take them the remote and they should be able to program a new one for you.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

CTENG in KS [OP]

• Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2008, 12:33:34 PM »
Okay...bringing this back, my remote is getting real bad.  I have looked around and replacement remotes are nearly the same price as a whole new entry system with dual nicer remotes.  Question...if I get a universal keyless package, can I simply replace the one in there and it will work with the new remotes, or will removing the unit in there give me hell cause it is programmed into the car or something?
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2008, 12:36:22 PM »
Okay...bringing this back, my remote is getting real bad.  I have looked around and replacement remotes are nearly the same price as a whole new entry system with dual nicer remotes.  Question...if I get a universal keyless package, can I simply replace the one in there and it will work with the new remotes, or will removing the unit in there give me hell cause it is programmed into the car or something?

Have you tried contact cleaner and a new battery?
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

CTENG in KS [OP]

• Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2008, 04:14:00 PM »
It is the button itself.  The little mechanism on the board has a return spring inside it.  The spring is shot and it is a little sealed unit.

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2008, 04:15:14 PM »
It is the button itself.  The little mechanism on the board has a return spring inside it.  The spring is shot and it is a little sealed unit.

Ah! I just cleaned mine a week or so ago...but, it was just sticky.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

CTENG in KS [OP]

• Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2008, 04:21:35 PM »
Mine has no return left in it so the button always is pushing itself.  Car locking and unlocking while I am driving.  It is an aftermarket system so I was just wondering if, for the sake of easyness and having new remotes, I could just buy a new system and throw it in good to go or if I am going to run into issues.

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2008, 04:25:30 PM »
Mine has no return left in it so the button always is pushing itself.  Car locking and unlocking while I am driving.  It is an aftermarket system so I was just wondering if, for the sake of easyness and having new remotes, I could just buy a new system and throw it in good to go or if I am going to run into issues.

Couldn't you just buy a new remote? Someone who installs them should be able to cross reference the numbers you have and find a replacement.

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)