Author Topic: Street Race with Stolen Parts in L.A. = Car Crushed  (Read 3236 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Street Race with Stolen Parts in L.A. = Car Crushed
« on: Nov 22, 2007, 03:34:28 PM »
http://www.dailybulletin.com/ci_7520378

Family members are here from Palmdale, CA, and they informed me that in LA (Ontario area) the police are cracking down on illegal street racing by taking inpounded cars straight to the wrecking yard where they are crushed and shredded into small pieces.

My initial reaction was, "WHAT?! THAT IS ILLEGAL! I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT!"

[side note]As some of you know, I used to own a Supercharged 1987 Toyota MR2, and while I did NOT use it for racing in the city, I loved racing it in the mountains. I had plenty of Honda friends who raced in the city, so I do feel a bit personal with this story...[/side note]

So I searched and found the story (linked above) and now I understand what is going on.

So what do you guys think? I guess I am pretty oblivious that cars are being stolen for spare parts. WHAT A BUNCH OF TOOLS. They deserve to get their cars crushed..

What do you guys think?

I love where the officer reports that the cars are being modified with "carburetor gears" :rofl: :rofl2:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

79coyotefrg

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Quote from:  stupid cop
A car can be outfitted for $8,000 to $9,000, he said, with everything from illegal air intakes and carburetor gears to fuel injectors and nitrous oxide tanks.

:rofl2:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Doof

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,205
  • Member since Apr '07
  • establised summer of 89
    • View Profile
stupid... lol wow    :shake:

the stuff people say sometimes....

Misfit4Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 313
  • Member since Jul '07
  • This line intentionally left blank
    • View Profile
whats even more pitiful is that not only are people saying that somebody out their is like oh my god dear did you read this??? carburetor gears! this is serious!
If you dont stand behind our troops, Please feel free to stand in front of them.

88 xtra cab sas'd dual cases flatbed

ghetto_wheeler

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -8
  • Male Posts: 240
  • Member since Sep '07
  • p-town
    • View Profile
im personally big into street racing i got the ricer and the yoda but i dont run stolen parts at all but to have your car up and smashed little harsh
1992 toy single cab built very little highsteer on 39.5s 

39.5 irocs for sale or trade...pm me

Doof

• Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
i can see both sides well..but on the law side i would assume it is mainlyfor the safety of others and the ones racing. if you want to race why not go the drag strip and race there? i know thats around and im pretty sure its free or its just a few bucks and you can race whoever you want.... safe and good fun and a way to get on the good side of some po-po that are there so if they pull you over in the street they might be easier on you since they know you went to the drag races and what not....  my  :twocents:

ghetto_wheeler

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '07
  • p-town
    • View Profile
ill be the one to tell ya its all about that natural high dont know if you ever ran from the po po but it is fun id almost say better than  :boozer: and  :boobs: ya im still young and dumb but you only have one life to live so live it up 

ghetto_wheeler

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '07
  • p-town
    • View Profile
im not some horrible kid that just goes out to mess it up for everyone else momma raised me well its just that rush you get  :smack: hope no kids are reading this huh lets try it :beerchug:

Doof

• Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
i knows it   :beerchug:

ghetto_wheeler

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '07
  • p-town
    • View Profile
was hope-in someone knew the rush for the strickly wheelers it like that few seconds that feels like an hour when you flop it

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Interesting replies guys :beerchug:

I never got into the street racing scene, but I did take my MR2 there a couple of times to watch my friend race his VR6 Jetta -- circa 1999 -- before it started getting out of hand. The police only gave tickets for loitering when I was involved! Back then we never heard of cars getting impounded -- but I do remember one time when we were standing all around watching some guys race, when suddenly people closer to the race down the road just started all running towards their cars! It was like a school of fish, everyone just started flocking to their rides! Everyone was yelling "Five O! Five O!" and I saw a couple bubble gum machines racing towards us turning around the corner with their lights on.

My friend (co-pilot) and me, who had never gotten into any sort of trouble with police ever, ran like hell to my MR2. I remember unlocking the doors, jumping in, and I could not get my key into my ignition. I kept missing the cylinder, and I remember by the time I got her fired up, the police cars were right on us. I pulled out and stuffed it, and I remember a cop was nearly right behind me with his lights on, and so I just pulled over, and he passed me on the other side of the road and he sped off and chased someone down.

It was crazy. Ghetto is right, I don't think I've ever felt such a rush like that before.... and I am glad that I got out of it before it got real crazy. I never heard of anyone having their hood popped open for inspections back then, but of course today they will do that to you no matter what they pull you over for :(

Good times, glad they are over with :wave:
BigMike
« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2007, 07:54:18 PM by BigMike »

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
from what i read they were only crushing the cars with stolen parts  :dunno:

man o man,  back in "the day"  this is befor some of you where born :haha:

i had a 73 Merc Comet, 250 inline six  with 3  strombergh carbs,  this thing  would HAWL 

anyway,  i always  took :pokinit:  from this guy  in my senior class with this 66 mustang,  it was a 302  but had a  2 bbl carb,  but  he thought it was really something

anyway  long story short  he  busted  off the  ramp onto the interstate  one day after  welding class was over, :psss:  10 miles back to school from the Votech,   he came blowing past me  just waving and laughing  so i nailed it to the floor,  the Comet had  130  on thespeedo  but when i passed him at mile 4  it  was way past  130,    it didnt have a tach  but it had  to be near 7000 rpm 

I later learned from his  passenger that day  that  i had a flame  coming out   the exhaust tip  so  i know  some  exhaust valves  where overlapping a  bit  :disturbed:

RACING IS  ILLEGAL AND WRONG  :spankbutt:

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
STREET RACING IS  ILLEGAL AND WRONG  :spankbutt:
Fixed it for ya Glen. There are pleanty of tracks and strips where racing is nothing but right... :yesnod:

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
from what i read they were only crushing the cars with stolen parts  :dunno:

man o man,  back in "the day"  this is befor some of you where born :haha:

i had a 73 Merc Comet, 250 inline six  with 3  strombergh carbs,  this thing  would HAWL 

anyway,  i always  took :pokinit:  from this guy  in my senior class with this 66 mustang,  it was a 302  but had a  2 bbl carb,  but  he thought it was really something

anyway  long story short  he  busted  off the  ramp onto the interstate  one day after  welding class was over, :psss:  10 miles back to school from the Votech,   he came blowing past me  just waving and laughing  so i nailed it to the floor,  the Comet had  130  on thespeedo  but when i passed him at mile 4  it  was way past  130,    it didnt have a tach  but it had  to be near 7000 rpm 

I later learned from his  passenger that day  that  i had a flame  coming out   the exhaust tip  so  i know  some  exhaust valves  where overlapping a  bit  :disturbed:

RACING IS  ILLEGAL AND WRONG  :spankbutt:

boy that brings back memories, I :spankbutt: a guy with a 2bl 302 in a 78? stang with my sisy's 69 toy carona (sp?) four door. 3rc and a four spd. ok,ok I had been into the eng. a "bit" still funny tho. shut him up good. got him off the line and 6 miles back to town.

but on sat. nights I would prowl the town in my 69 cuda. :yumyum: those were the days.  :driving: :burnout:

oh and my good buddy had a 70 mavric (sp?) with a 250 and a header on it, could not shut him down with my sis's toy, butt he lived in fear of my fish. :yupyup:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
EVERYBODY  lived in fear of the Cuda,  well at least those  that had brains

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Fixed it for ya Glen. There are pleanty of tracks and strips where racing is nothing but right... :yesnod:
:yupyup:

ghetto_wheeler

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '07
  • p-town
    • View Profile
I FEEL BETTER GUESS EVERYONES DONE IT ATLEAST ONCE, heres a story for ya all. we went out on the out skirts of town to find the local racers at first just watching, than a little lowered civic pulled up talkin bout how he was the best aint nobody that could take him. so we raced i won!!!! thats not the end he then jumped right behind me i didnt see those pretty lights in the window tell now :maddest: long story short the cop ended up knowing my mom/dated one thing lead to another he let me GO!!!! told me he dont wanna see me there again guess what haven beeen there since! :bananabeer: to make the story better i got a  :snapshot: of my car me and the cop behind me as my buddies drove by .

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Someone said it above, and I want to say it again........

Street racing is simply just not worth it. You know that rush you get when you do it? Well multiply that a couple of times when you put your car on a closed circuit track with 20 other cars, or when you line up next to another car at a legal drag strip. And if that is too unachievable for you, then look into Autocrossing. I did that for a couple of years and loved it.

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
sometimes i'll toy with the rice burners when i'm on my motorcycle, usually when they run by me thinking their car is bad ass because they passed a bike that was cruising at 5mph over the limit. no need for me to downshift, i've blown every one of those cars outta the water without a problem. usually i'll just laugh though because alot of those people think 13 seconds for a 1/4 mile is extremely fast :headshake:

if you want a real rush from racing, go to a track where everybody else is doing it. its ALOT more fun, safer, and one heck of a rush. plus you dont risk getting a ticket and your taught how to handle your vehicle at higher speeds.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
if you want a real rush from racing, go to a track where everybody else is doing it. its ALOT more fun, safer, and one heck of a rush. plus you dont risk getting a ticket and your taught how to handle your vehicle at higher speeds.

:yesnod: :thumbs:

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
X3!  Never done it in a car, but you can't imagine how much a weight off your shoulders it is to flog your bike around a track and not have to worry about cars pulling out in front of you, deer running out, whatever.  Not just that, but you can actually learn how to go faster due to the repetition of going through the same corners over and over.  I sometimes think I'm pushing it in a corner, only to have a faster rider pass me on the outside.  When it happens I try my damndest to keep up.  Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, but no matter what I usually realize I can go a bit faster than I had been.  Damn, now I really want to do a track day :down:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Doof

• Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
you got balls to have a bike...i want to get one sooooo soooo soooooo bad, but i know i would kill myself so i dont. it would be to hard for me to keep it to the limits...  :-\

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
thanks, i know kneedownnate has a sport bike as well as a few other members here. my 1st street legal bike was a honda shadow 600cc cruiser, current bike (damn do i have alot of fun riding it!!!) is a yamaha yzf1000 sport bike with a full exhaust kit.

for racing though go to a track. its well worth it in every aspect. dont have to worry about the police, dont have to worry about people pulling out infront of you from a side street, dont have to worry about road imperfections like potholes and those lane splitter plastic things. the instructors teach you how to drive at higher speeds, what you need to do to improve, etc. plus, its SSSSOOOOOOOOO much more fun on the track.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

unclejpl4x4

• Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
well........ street racing has been going on since the birth of the car  it will never stop !

OK prove my parts are stolen  and i did not pay for them with my hard earned $$  ( Innocent intill proved guilty)

as for taking the car and shredding it ..... :nonono:
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

Doof

• Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
well........ street racing has been going on since the birth of the car  it will never stop !

OK prove my parts are stolen  and i did not pay for them with my hard earned $$  ( Innocent intill proved guilty)

as for taking the car and shredding it ..... :nonono:

good point

unclejpl4x4

• Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
just read this  http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/top_three/story/7519480p-7419217c.html

yr in jail ........................... BS
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Those that read a couple threads around here know that I used to street race and finally gave it up for what I do now,  :eyebrow: but I also worked with LAPD and after seeing what street racing can do I decided to go with something that may still get me hurt but not endanger others for the most part. I was never into the ricers but in heavymetal with monstrous hp and I did have a couple bikes I used to play with too. Anyways for those that are questioning the legality of what they are doing it is perfectly legal, if you get caught in LA City they will impound your ride and you will not get it back, they've been doing that for about 3 years now. Also it has always been illegal to put stolen parts in your car, that will also get your car impounded, and by the time they're done checking out the entire vehicle it will cost a fortune to get it back and there won't be much left. In LA we'd just sell the forfeited vehicle at auction once it went through the courts. Of course you can always loose your car in the commission of a crime too, and that's what they are using against these hot-rodders running around since they made it more than just an infraction/misdemeanor. This they have done for over 10 years now.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

ROCKO

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -49
  • Male Posts: 743
  • Member since Sep '07
  • NOR-CAL WHEELIN
    • View Profile
street racin is never goin to end. what needs to go on is what infenion raceway and sacramento raceway has done. open the track up for people to come and run there cars. the rules there are if you run under 12.5 helmet run under 10.5 roll cage and all safety equipment has to be in the car. thats the safe way and you do not have run from cops. they DO NOT LET YOU bet any money its all bragin rights. its fun and safe. as far as my street racin' its over i almost killed my best friend and i when i hit a curb and a parked car around 100. yea i had a couple of :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: but no matter what it is destiney im still here and i do not want anything to do with street racin' anymore. ive learned driving fast on the streets will get somebody killed i do not want to live with that for the rest of my life. i rather drive slow in the mountains crawlin'  :turtle3:  :thumbs: and  :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: if somebody goin to get hert there it going to be me or my truck thanks for bring up this topic it is a hugh problem everybody has to deal with IF YOU WANT TO RACE GO TO A TRACK  it is much safer :thumbs:
JUST ANOTHER ROCK CRAWLER....
with a lot of good stuff

F@$K CANCER

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Irwindale Raceway does this too.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Nice reply ROCKO :thumbs: