Author Topic: Hats, bawl caps, etc...what's your stance?  (Read 4984 times)

te51levin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 130
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Grumpy, but pretty good at it
    • View Profile
Re: Hats, bawl caps, etc...what's your stance?
« Reply #30 on: Nov 04, 2007, 03:03:10 PM »
Not to mention, when it's cold its the best first step to keeping warm. 90% of your heat loss is through the top of your head.
So they say, but that's why I was asking; I never noticed all that much warmth or shade from them myself.  I am lucky to have thick enough hair that my scalp doesn't burn easily, so that's not a factor for me either.

Ah well, time to go see if I can make them Mikuni carbon-nators work.

Thomas P

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 3,092
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Nov 04, 2007, 03:53:24 PM »
mrs willy is right about keeping warm.. hats are very good for that......
'85 EFI X cab SR5. 42" Iroks, Dual ultimates etc.
'84 Std. cab  Yota, Chevy 4.3 swapped (makes v8's cry)
'88 4 Runner 39.5" Iroks FJ80 front, taco rear elockers dual ultimates
'07 Toyota Tundra crew max 5.7 (grocery getter/tow rig)
'14 Camry SE
SCX10 Honcho on roids!

Doof

• Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,205
  • Member since Apr '07
  • establised summer of 89
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Nov 04, 2007, 04:54:40 PM »
beanies are better for warmth or a ba-boosh-ka

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Nov 04, 2007, 06:31:19 PM »
Guess I never saw enough shade to make it seem worthwhile.  But when you're short like some of us, you spend all your time looking up anyway, so the bill doesn't do as much for you...

Good contributions.  Now, can anyone explain why 93% of all NASCAR fans wear Fu Manchu moustaches?

Its to filter the foam off their poorly poured beers, when they're drinking out of them fancy red cups! :thumbs:

But it is rude to wear a hat inside. Too many people have never been taught manners.

Define inside :gap:  I don't take my hat off when I go into gas stations and stuff :dunno:

I agree actually.  If I'm in a bar or something, the hat usually stays on, but in a resturant, office building, in class (can't wear them at all in the academy, but when I was in HS and college) etc., my hat comes off. 

:yupyup:

Not to mention, when it's cold its the best first step to keeping warm. 90% of your heat loss is through the top of your head.

:werd:  I never really notice it, until I take it off, especially in the winter.  I'm not a huge beanie fan, I don't like my ears covered for some reason, so I'll usually snowboard with a hat on :yesnod:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #34 on: Nov 05, 2007, 06:51:30 AM »
In 1865, John Batterson Stetson invented and sold his first hat in Central City, Colorado, a wide-brimmed, high-crowned, design that he called “Boss of the Plains,” more commonly known as the "ten-gallon cowboy hat".
John Stetson was a hatmaker from New Jersey who moved west to seek his fortune during the gold rush. Stetson's cowboy hat was later renamed "Stetson" after the maker. The hats protected cowboy eyes from the sun and cowboy necks from the rain and could also double as a water bowl.

A baseball cap is a type of soft cap with a long, stiffened and curved peak and it is worn by men, women and children. The back of the cap often has a plastic, Velcro, or elastic adjustor so that it can be quickly adjusted to fit any wearer, although fitted caps are also common. Those with long hair sometimes wear their hair in a ponytail which they pull through the gap in the cap above the adjustor. The cap is normally sewn in sections, and may be topped with a matching fabric-covered button on the crown. Traditionally the peak is worn over the eyes, but the cap is sometimes worn backwards, or at other angles. When worn in front, the peak can be functional for blocking the sun. The major athletic cap manufacturers include Nike and New Era.

It is most associated with those who play baseball. However, the baseball cap is far more than just a part of baseball players' uniforms; it is arguably the most popular style of hat in the United States and many Western nations, as well as in Japan.

The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Nov 05, 2007, 07:17:54 AM »
Those with long hair sometimes wear their hair in a ponytail which they pull through the gap in the cap above the adjustor.

Just a guess...no one who stands up while urinating or is in a heterosexual relationship does this.   :dunno:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #36 on: Nov 05, 2007, 07:25:40 AM »
Just a guess...no one who stands up while urinating or is in a heterosexual relationship does this.   :dunno:

Some might  :stopit:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Nov 05, 2007, 02:54:06 PM »
Its called Balding at young age, haha

nah.. my hat is my security blanket I guess...

I don't mind NOT wearing it... just think I look better w/ one

:dunno:

R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Nov 05, 2007, 06:28:23 PM »
I once worked with a guy (you may remember him as ben jammin, aka bond....ben bond....he he he he he :haha: ) who wore a hat always.  I knew he was balding badly, but still got that momentary shell shock when he'd remove his hat and I'd see the well started chrome dome :yikes:

My current boss is slowly starting to bald and wears a hat all the time.  I know "they" say you get the balding gene from your mom's side, but :psh: my brother and I have the same thick hair as our dad and no signs of balding.  I may not have a ton to thankful for, but I am very thankfull for my full head of hair..... just wish it hadn't started graying out so damned early :ack:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Nov 05, 2007, 07:12:45 PM »
I am very thankfull for my full head of hair..... just wish it hadn't started graying out so damned early :ack:
I can assure you -- it is hereditary!    :psss:
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

te51levin [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 130
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Grumpy, but pretty good at it
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Nov 05, 2007, 09:16:47 PM »
Maybe so, but seeing as my immediate supervisor is a year younger than me and much, much grayer, I don't feel so bad.  I have some gray coming in, but I'm still comfortably in point-and-laugh territory relative to him.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Nov 05, 2007, 09:45:14 PM »
I can assure you -- it is hereditary!    :psss:

Well, seeing as I can't remember a time when you didn't have gray hair :yupyup:

Maybe so, but seeing as my immediate supervisor is a year younger than me and much, much grayer, I don't feel so bad.  I have some gray coming in, but I'm still comfortably in point-and-laugh territory relative to him.

It's cause you're the only toehead in the fambly. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!