Author Topic: Hats, bawl caps, etc...what's your stance?  (Read 4971 times)

te51levin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 130
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Grumpy, but pretty good at it
    • View Profile
Hats, bawl caps, etc...what's your stance?
« on: Nov 03, 2007, 01:08:09 PM »
At the risk of sounding real dumb, I admit that I've never gotten baseball caps.  They don't seem to do much for warmth or shade, and I have just never been comfortable with anything on my head anyway ('cept a helmet), so I'm a bit confuzzled about the whole thing.

Somebody clue me in.  If you wear one, why?

After we sort this out, we can move on to other mysteries of the ages, like what makes that derned circus peanut candy so disgusting...

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
Re: Hats, bawl caps, etc...what's your stance?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2007, 02:19:17 PM »
Well youngin, it's to stop sun burn on me head.

as for the candy, it's flea poo that gives it the flavor you hate.
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2007, 03:51:12 PM »
Most of my life, unless I've gotten a really bad haircut, I've had long hair...long curly hair. I wear a cap most of the time just to keep it from blowing all in my face.

Don't have a clue what candy you're talking about.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 03, 2007, 03:59:37 PM »
I've never gotten baseball caps.  They don't seem to do much for warmth or shade, and I have just never been comfortable with anything on my head anyway
That about sums it up for me...   A hat makes sense if you're gettin' thin on top (straw hat with a brim?), but that aside I guess it's a fashion statement...   And a ball cap does have a visor to help shield your eyes (or the back of your neck :screwy: ) from the sun  :dunno:

'Course, if ya live in certain parts of the world cough *Texas* cough, I think a cowboy hat is mandatory if you wish to avoid being run out of town on a rail...   :gap:
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

NT-OUTBACK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 139
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2007, 07:30:44 PM »
For me I wear a hat when my hair is messy and I need to go to class and don't have the time.

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 7,509
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 03, 2007, 08:02:16 PM »
Sometimes I wear a hat,sometimes I wear a bandana  :dunno:  It's what the cool kids do  :yupyup:
WWW.GLOBALOFFROADSUPPLY.COM

Support Your Local Brawlers
 www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

oddball

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 1143
  • Male Posts: 952
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Weirdo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Nov 03, 2007, 08:18:17 PM »
I wear a hat cause Im going bald and Im only 31
2008 Tacoma regular cab, 4.88s, ARBs, crawl box, manual shift FJ case

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 03, 2007, 08:21:27 PM »
my grandma hates baseball caps with a passion (totally old school)

she actually convinced me when i was a kid that wearing one would make u go bald  :yikes:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

oddball

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 1143
  • Male Posts: 952
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Weirdo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: Nov 03, 2007, 08:27:30 PM »
Haha I heard that too and I believe it
2008 Tacoma regular cab, 4.88s, ARBs, crawl box, manual shift FJ case

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #9 on: Nov 03, 2007, 09:29:59 PM »
'Course, if ya live in certain parts of the world cough *Texas* cough, I think a cowboy hat is mandatory if you wish to avoid being run out of town on a rail...   :gap:
i've got a couple nice cowboy hats that i wear from time to time, need to get myself another straw hat though. lost my last one at the beach back in august.

i wear a hat for differant reasons. keeps the sun outta my eyes, keeps the dust, rain, things like that out. collects most of the sweat before it can drip in your eyes, if your hair looks like crap or you dont feel like messing with it it works to cover it. and alot of people i know say i look good laid back and wearin one of my hats, i've got no problem with that.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 03, 2007, 09:38:51 PM »
my grandma hates baseball caps with a passion (totally old school)

she actually convinced me when i was a kid that wearing one would make u go bald  :yikes:

I've been wearing hats for longer than you've been alive...they don't make you go bald. I could, however, make the case that they make you fat.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Thomas P

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Male Posts: 3,092
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 03, 2007, 09:45:24 PM »
lol
'85 EFI X cab SR5. 42" Iroks, Dual ultimates etc.
'84 Std. cab  Yota, Chevy 4.3 swapped (makes v8's cry)
'88 4 Runner 39.5" Iroks FJ80 front, taco rear elockers dual ultimates
'07 Toyota Tundra crew max 5.7 (grocery getter/tow rig)
'14 Camry SE
SCX10 Honcho on roids!

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 03, 2007, 09:54:33 PM »
Mine keeps the rain off my glasses, and when I have long hair it keeps it out of my eyes and out of my face. It also catches sweat. Plus if I wear my hat, I don't have to make my hair look nice. When it is hot I can put it in water then put it on my head; Instant cooling ability. I feel comfortable in a hat, but not in shorts. Why do people wear shorts? They don't protect your legs. I don't think they are comfortable. They make my "special parts" freeze...why do you wear them?

Thomas P

• Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 03, 2007, 09:59:09 PM »
im all for hats, prevents sunburns and such plus you dont hafta brush your hair, who wouldnt love a hat for that reason alon e?  :dunno:
'14 Camry SE
SCX10 Honcho on roids!

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 03, 2007, 10:10:22 PM »
agree

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Nov 03, 2007, 10:21:51 PM »
I wear a ball cap because, well, I'm lazy and never liked doing anything with my hair :dunno:   Not to mention, it does shield your eyes  a bit. 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

te51levin [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 130
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Grumpy, but pretty good at it
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Nov 03, 2007, 10:59:51 PM »
A hat makes sense if you're gettin' thin on top
Oh God, you're killing me!  Like that's a concern for the likes of us.  Last week I found three transients and a deck lid from a Plymouth Volare stuck in my hair...

For me I wear a hat when my hair is messy and I need to go to class and don't have the time.
:dunno: I guess I got lucky - if I keep my hair short it pretty much takes care of itself.  'Course when I was a kid, wearing hats indoors was strictly verboten.  Not that they enforce it past high school, but on the rare occasion I wear a hat I find myself automatically removing it when I enter most buildings.

Mine keeps the rain off my glasses...Why do people wear shorts?
Now that I wear glasses, that's a more practical concern.  But to answer your question, I am under court order not to wear shorts  :gap:

Not to mention, it does shield your eyes a bit.
Guess I never saw enough shade to make it seem worthwhile.  But when you're short like some of us, you spend all your time looking up anyway, so the bill doesn't do as much for you...

Good contributions.  Now, can anyone explain why 93% of all NASCAR fans wear Fu Manchu moustaches?

Thomas P

• Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Nov 03, 2007, 11:10:46 PM »
lol
  But to answer your question, I am under court order not to wear shorts  :gap:
'14 Camry SE
SCX10 Honcho on roids!

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Nov 04, 2007, 12:21:23 AM »
I am under court order not to wear shorts  :gap:

I may be the only family member with the reign to wear shorts year round :_oops:

Yes, a hat (never ever cared for them being called a cap, it doesn't screw on my head!) shields your eyes from the sun and keeps SOME of the rain off your glasses, but it often rains at odd angles here so it doesn't help much.  I used to wear hats all the time but rarely do now.  As often as I hike I very rarely wear a hat, I find it more comfortable to let my golden locks air dry :ack:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Nov 04, 2007, 06:48:54 AM »

Good contributions.  Now, can anyone explain why 93% of all NASCAR fans wear Fu Manchu moustaches?

As maybe the only Southerner who doesn't like NASCAR...I think the Fu Manchu is is just part of the deal, when all the Yankee women got interested in NASCAR, they brought their mustaches with them.

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Nov 04, 2007, 07:00:39 AM »
I agree with helping to keep the sun and rain out of your eyes.
But for me, with my long hair, it a major necessity riding in the mammoth on the road to keep it from bullwhipping us both into submission.
In the on the trails it helps keep some of the dust out of my hair and in the woods helps to prevent bugs, especially ticks, from getting in your hair.
But it is rude to wear a hat inside. Too many people have never been taught manners.
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Nov 04, 2007, 07:33:47 AM »
I agree with helping to keep the sun and rain out of your eyes.
But for me, with my long hair, it a major necessity riding in the mammoth on the road to keep it from bullwhipping us both into submission.
In the on the trails it helps keep some of the dust out of my hair and in the woods helps to prevent bugs, especially ticks, from getting in your hair.
But it is rude to wear a hat inside. Too many people have never been taught manners.

A cap is a cap...even if it doesn't screw on. A hat is a hat. I don't take my cap off indoors, I've got big hair and hat (or cap) hair is very pronounced in my case.

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Nov 04, 2007, 07:48:51 AM »
when all the Yankee women got interested in NASCAR, they brought their mustaches with them.
   :rofl:  :ack:
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #23 on: Nov 04, 2007, 09:23:40 AM »
dont worry abnormal, your not the only southerner who doesnt like nascar. head to Texas, most the people i know dont like it.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Nov 04, 2007, 09:39:20 AM »
dont worry abnormal, your not the only southerner who doesnt like nascar. head to Texas, most the people i know dont like it.

I had my wonder years in Dallas...but, I'm talking Dixie. Boiminham, 'lanta, Nashvull...I know Texas is in the south, but it's not really the South. Texas is Texas.

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

Doof

• Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,205
  • Member since Apr '07
  • establised summer of 89
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Nov 04, 2007, 01:41:10 PM »
I wear a ball cap because, well, I'm lazy and never liked doing anything with my hair :dunno:   Not to mention, it does shield your eyes  a bit. 

x2...ive had  a lid on my head since i can remember. ive had a buzz cut for the past 11 years of my life and i wear mine to keep my messy hair straight and keep the rays from burnin the scalp. those suck and arent fun. and keeps the sun out when it gets low enough to tilt so i can see when driving.

another ? could be what type of cap do you wear...i.e. fited, open in the back, velcro strap and so on

i sport a fited of 7 and 3/8

big dome

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #26 on: Nov 04, 2007, 01:44:25 PM »
I'm with Diane on this one.  A hat is about the only way I can keep my hair out of my face.  Even a pony tail leaves flyaway strands.  :thumbs:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Nov 04, 2007, 02:18:23 PM »
I'm with Diane on this one.  A hat is about the only way I can keep my hair out of my face.  Even a pony tail leaves flyaway strands.  :thumbs:

:yupyup:

Not to mention, when it's cold its the best first step to keeping warm. 90% of your heat loss is through the top of your head.
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Nov 04, 2007, 02:19:32 PM »
A cap is a cap...even if it doesn't screw on. A hat is a hat. I don't take my cap off indoors, I've got big hair and hat (or cap) hair is very pronounced in my case.

Oh yeah, and I've got small hair :rofl: Although yeah, yours with all those curls would be really funny hat hair :yupyup:

Where is the Mammoth?

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Nov 04, 2007, 02:35:14 PM »
Oh yeah, and I've got small hair :rofl: Although yeah, yours with all those curls would be really funny hat hair :yupyup:

Kind of looks like Larry Fine.

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)