Author Topic: Marlin front springs mounted on the rear????  (Read 3115 times)

sinbob

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 185
  • Member since Feb '07
  • Buddy may u hav lots of fishies to chase
    • View Profile
Marlin front springs mounted on the rear????
« on: Oct 31, 2007, 08:57:18 AM »
I have wrangler rear 4" springs on the front of my toy and they bolt right up to the stock hangers.

So, I have been checking to see if I can find some good REAR articulation springs that would bolt up to the stock hangers.  I do not have the ability to change them.

So I checked the springs I have on the truck (skyjacker) and they are 22 inches front eye to pin and 25 inches rear eye to pin.

I was looking on Marlins web page to see what the measurements for his springs are---None, jus measurements for moving the hangers.

So, I went to TG's web site and they have the measurements.  When it hit me that the front sping measurements are the same as my rear spring measurements.  Let me state, for the record, that I do not want TG springs.

So if we can move rear to front, why can't we move front to rear.  Providing that the measurements are the same they would bolt right up to the stock hangers.  Marlins spirngs are front 6 leaf I believe and the rear 7 leaf.

Question????????   Anyone see any problems with putting front springs on the rear??????

I read something earlier about people wanting Marlin to come up with springs that didn't need the hangers to be moved......if this is possible then we have a solution!!!!!  :dancing:

« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2007, 02:22:09 PM by sinbob »
85 flatbed, 22RE,Downey air, redtop, dual 2.28 crawler, high steer, Marlin clutch, 5.29's, ARB rear, lockright front, Warn hubs, wrangler 4" front-skyjacker 4" r-springs w/6" shackels, flip kit, 35x12.5x15 MTR's, sliders, belly, exocage.
:support our troops :usa:
They told me I had to grow old, but they never told me I had to grow up. :cheer:
"life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" :bananasplit:
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain :dancing:

skid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 144
  • Male Posts: 295
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Marlin front springs mounted on the rear????
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2007, 09:05:40 AM »
Hard to know which front springs you want to put in the rear?

First off, front springs are going to have less lift when put in the rear.  Stock front springs are going to be too short in length unless the spring mounts are moved.  Longer springs ride and work better in our application. In the front, you limited on spring length, in the rear you have more room to work with.  So why not run longer springs?
Diggin a hole with plastic
90 ext cab toy, short 40 Iroks, detroit and diamond, mco8-r10 duals with twin stick, 4.7 gears and 30 spline Longs/hub gears-studs

sinbob [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 31, 2007, 09:13:58 AM »
Marlin 4in or 5 in front springs.

Why are front springs gonna have less lift in the rear. 
Doesn't the front weight more than the rear.  So, logically you would have more lift than less.

Stock front springs are too short.   
That is true, but Marlins front springs are longer than stock!!!! 

Why not run longer springs?   Have to change the hangers and I do not have that ability 
85 flatbed, 22RE,Downey air, redtop, dual 2.28 crawler, high steer, Marlin clutch, 5.29's, ARB rear, lockright front, Warn hubs, wrangler 4" front-skyjacker 4" r-springs w/6" shackels, flip kit, 35x12.5x15 MTR's, sliders, belly, exocage.
They told me I had to grow old, but they never told me I had to grow up. :cheer:
"life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" :bananasplit:
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain :dancing:

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 100
  • Male Posts: 564
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 31, 2007, 09:29:34 AM »
The stock front spring is inverted or flat so plus 5" on the front would only have about 4" arc above flat.  The stock rear springs have about 3" of arc above flat so a plus 5" for the rear would have about 8" of arc.

Clear as mud? 

Where would the pin location on the front spring pack locate your rear axle in relation to where it is now?
'82 pickup, +3, locked, doubled
'82 pickup, IFS long travel, V8
'85 4runner, V8 rock crawler
'88 X-cab, V6

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 35
  • Male Posts: 1,968
  • Member since Oct '07
  • BORN TO WHEEL, FORCED TO WORK...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 31, 2007, 09:35:52 AM »
i believe all pro sells stock length springs that would suit your needs... i am running all pro's and love them... i have many buddies with marlins and really the all pro's are just the same... i would try going that route..
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com
www.myspace.com/choptechfab

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39494.0

sinbob [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 31, 2007, 09:49:10 AM »
Hey HH, 

Ok, clear as mud means that I am drowning  :willynilly:

Or in other words a 4 inch would give 6 inch of lift in the rear?????

If the measurements from the hanger center to the pin are the same 22 inches front and 25 inches rear then the rear axel would stay in the same position it is now and a shorter or longer driveshaft would also not be needed.  (extra money).  Or will that change the angle of the driveshaft because of the extra lift provided because of the additional arc and thereby making a longer driveshaft necessary anyway?????? :dunno:

thanks timsyota, that is an option that I did not know about.
« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2007, 09:55:51 AM by sinbob »

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 100
  • Male Posts: 564
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 31, 2007, 10:20:10 AM »
 :headscratch:
« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2007, 10:32:51 AM by hammerhead »
'82 pickup, +3, locked, doubled
'82 pickup, IFS long travel, V8
'85 4runner, V8 rock crawler
'88 X-cab, V6

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #7 on: Oct 31, 2007, 10:20:34 AM »
:headscratch:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

skid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 144
  • Male Posts: 295
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 31, 2007, 10:30:26 AM »

Doesn't the front weight more than the rear.  So, logically you would have more lift than less.

Why not run longer springs?   Have to change the hangers and I do not have that ability 

Frame mounting heights are different front to rear.  If measured to the ground, your front spring mounts are going to be lower than the rear.

I have to assume a friend or shop has access to a welder. So new rear spring mounts are within you grasp. 

Chances are you would have to redo a driveline with Marlin fronts in the rear.
Diggin a hole with plastic
90 ext cab toy, short 40 Iroks, detroit and diamond, mco8-r10 duals with twin stick, 4.7 gears and 30 spline Longs/hub gears-studs

sinbob [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 31, 2007, 10:46:05 AM »
Tks skid,  hadn't thought about the mount height.  But, that is why we post stuff on here to find out things we do not know  :hammerhead: 

Unfortunately all I have access to is a little mig 100 and I wouldn't want to chance welding anything like this with that.

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 31, 2007, 10:50:54 AM »
I tried looking the springs up but their website is down...lame... your welcome for the help and hope you get it figured out... is the mig 100 gas or flux core? if its flux it would probley be ok to weld the hangers with...
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD

sinbob [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 31, 2007, 10:56:40 AM »
Tks again skid.  :_oops: I mean timsyota

It is flux core, but do you really think I could get enough penatration for the weld to hold
« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2007, 11:26:49 AM by sinbob »

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 7,509
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 31, 2007, 11:08:56 AM »
They don't have less lift,they have a different spring rate.IOW they're not gonna work the same,they'll flex less than as if they were in the front.That's the reason people swear by putting rears up front,the spring rate on those is completely different and they become hella flexy with the weight of the engine.
WWW.GLOBALOFFROADSUPPLY.COM

Support Your Local Brawlers
 www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 31, 2007, 11:20:19 AM »
if your a good welder, or you know one you can get enough penetration out of it... i welded spring mounts on a fullsize blazer and jumped it with my weld pak 100 flux core... just use the biggest dia. wire you can find try for .035 or bigger if you can find it... good luck bro

www.choptechfab.com

CHECK THE BUILD

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 31, 2007, 11:28:18 AM »
Tks again skid.

It is flux core, but do you really think I could get enough penatration for the weld to hold

Yes. In my old truck I welded the rear hangers on with a little flux core welder with .035 wire and did a 3 pass weld and they held through lots of abuse. On my 4runner I have the rear spring hangers wlded on with a POS mig with a CO2 tank (it gets far less penetration then the flux core welder) and so far its held through some abuse and no cracks or anything showing. And on the pass side its only welded on the outside of the frame also.
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Oct 31, 2007, 11:31:28 AM »
ya exactly just make multiple passes and you should be fine....

www.choptechfab.com

CHECK THE BUILD

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Oct 31, 2007, 11:42:26 AM »
One more thing to consider aside from (or along with) actuall spring rate is the fact that the rear springs are also mounted outboard more (frame is wider at rear) than the fronts and offer less leverage against the spring for articulation than if they are up front which is also why rears up front can seem more flexy.  Just my  :twocents:

sinbob [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Oct 31, 2007, 11:50:32 AM »
hey guys :thumbs:
this is all good stuff tks

yotabj

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -15
  • Male Posts: 116
  • Member since Feb '05
  • MAD FLEX YO!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Oct 31, 2007, 12:14:12 PM »
I am runnings front in the rear,Marlin's 4 in.(need to remove a leaf or two)with Budbuilt hanger,6 center to center shackles thru the frame and on the front downey 3",with 4.5 in. center to center shackles with Marlin's front hanger on the front on my 84..these reason I went this route is because my ranger springs drug on everything and the front axle wrapped like crazy(I didn't have the front hanger on the front at the time) I am very pleased with the setup now and it flexed almost as good as the old setup but feels 10 time more stable
'84  Truggy EFI swap ,5.29's Detroit,welded,Dual Ultimate Cases,22re,3 in. downey,4 in.Marlin Front springs on back  114 wb ,39.5 Rockers,30 Spline Longs

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Oct 31, 2007, 01:44:25 PM »
well :pokinit: i guess it will work then.... nice work

www.choptechfab.com

CHECK THE BUILD

sinbob [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Oct 31, 2007, 02:16:43 PM »
hey yotabj, were u able to keep ur origianl driveshaft or did u have to change it ????

That is one of the reasons I do not want to go to the longer springs the additional monies needed for the driveshaft.

yotabj

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -15
  • Male Posts: 116
  • Member since Feb '05
  • MAD FLEX YO!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Oct 31, 2007, 07:29:42 PM »
well It was set up for ranger springs,so when I put the fronts in the back I didn't move the hanger, just the shackles,I changed the wheelbase about 4 inches shorter so no I had to shorten it. but in you case you should be fine, also I don't run over loads just a good traction bar.....I didn't think I would like the suspension, but it hooks up good for where I wheel (eastern region) Out here mainly steep ledges,jagged, wet and muddy rocks,I think out west it wouldn't be that great,looks like more boulders and big flat surfaces........But what do I know,I haven't be out there.........Flex is good sometimes but for me it's all about traction
'84  Truggy EFI swap ,5.29's Detroit,welded,Dual Ultimate Cases,22re,3 in. downey,4 in.Marlin Front springs on back  114 wb ,39.5 Rockers,30 Spline Longs