Author Topic: Bad day at work - dog bite!  (Read 5554 times)

te51levin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 130
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Grumpy, but pretty good at it
    • View Profile
Bad day at work - dog bite!
« on: Oct 20, 2007, 04:33:51 PM »
So there I was...

Yesterday an old guy came in, wanted to talk about accessories for his new Scion xB.  We priced out a bunch of stuff and then went out to look at his car together.  He had a 120-pound Rottweiler in the back seat.  The dog was happy to see us and we both give him a few scratches behind the ear before heading back inside.  A couple minutes later I went back out to see what sort of lug nuts he had on the thing, since he was looking at buying wheel locks.  I made sure to talk to the dog as I approached the car, so he knew I was coming, and he stuck his head out the window, gave me a big dopey happy look and let me pet him for a second.  And right as I was telling him what a good boy he was, the  :censored: thing reached out and bit me - right in the face!  Yikes!

After I made sure my eyes were still in their sockets and functional, I turned to walk back to the shop and realized that there was a fair bit of blood on my hands.  A couple of mechanics saw me - I've never seen such stunned epxressions - and luckily one of them found a couple of clean paper towels.  One of our porters drove me over to the hospital and while I waited for attention the dog's owner showed up, followed by an animal control officer.  The dog is up on all his shots and vaccinations, so not much to worry about there.  Mr Dog Owner is more shaken up than I am, and the dog has no history of violence.  I guess I just got lucky  :hammer:  Meanwhile my wife showed up and thankfully maintained her composure.

The kind folks at the ER got me numbed and washed and stitched up pretty well, though it took a while.  They tell me there should only be "minimal" scarring - which is nice, but I ain't making my living on my looks anyway, so I guess I can't do a whole lot about that.  I got 18 stitches altogether, a bottle of Vicodin and a bottle of anti-dog-germ pills, and was told to say away from work for a day.  Mr Dog Owner was kind enough to stay at the hospital until I'd been released, which I thought was pretty decent of him.

So now I have a sticky face (which I can't wash), a day off (which I can't do anything with), and an opportunity to sit around the house and eat popsicles all day...plus I may get a really boss nickname out of it, or be able to tell people I wrestle Rottweilers no-handed...

Still, not the worst day at work I've ever had!

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Bad day at work - dog bite!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2007, 05:36:21 PM »
ouch!
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2007, 05:46:37 PM »
Ouch is right!

You be a bad mama jama, if you can wrestle a Rottweiler with your face. The scars will give a "bad boy" look and it was cheaper than a tat!

I presume you found out if the dog is up to date on his shots...right?

Should you discover that you don't need all the Vics...I have a hangnail that really hurts!
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

AR80Toy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 319
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2007, 06:05:30 PM »
Looks like you've been in a UFC fight !!!!!!
1983 Toyota 4-Banger Completely "Stock" For now ......HeHe

79coyotefrg

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2007, 06:09:45 PM »
that mutt  just almost took your :eye: 

:headshake:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2007, 06:23:53 PM »

:headshake:
That sure was awfully close....  :sheerterror:  Not everyone gets dog-bit on the face and can still be considered lucky    :therethere:

Sure glad it wasn't worse, and hope the healing continues to go well.   :yesnod:
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

te51levin [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 2007, 06:27:07 PM »
Looks like you've been in a UFC fight !!!!!!

UFC = Ugly  :censored: Canine!

He did get awfully close.  But compared to your streak of bad luck, this is nothing...I kinda feel bad even mentioning it!

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 20, 2007, 11:54:41 PM »
Oops!  Hope it gets better quickly!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #8 on: Oct 21, 2007, 08:38:58 AM »
I ain't making my living on my looks anyway

The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 21, 2007, 09:04:09 AM »
Holy canolli! I can't believe how close to you eye that was. The owner must have been shaking in his boots.
Now we need to come up with that really boss nickname.
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 21, 2007, 05:16:40 PM »
Damn! A 120 lb Rot is a big dog! Glad to see you didnt lose an eye.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

fatt_matt

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -3
  • Male Posts: 545
  • Member since Mar '07
  • jeeps and toys can get along
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 21, 2007, 05:29:07 PM »
are you gonna go after him?
Jeep

te51levin [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 21, 2007, 05:54:23 PM »
are you gonna go after him?

What, for money?  Sue him?  I doubt it very much.  My medical care is being paid for by Worker's Comp insurance, and I am apparently not disabled.  The dog's owner has been a stand-up guy thus far, staying in contact with me and making sure that I am OK.  I believe he is genuinely concerned and not just covering his butt legally.

If I had suffered monetary losses, or loss of income or earning potential, or been permanently disfigured, I might feel differently.  But I have practically no pain and only minor hassles to deal with - such as an antibitoic that is giving me a gnarly case of the trots  :nerv:

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 21, 2007, 06:01:44 PM »
What, for money?  Sue him?  I doubt it very much.  My medical care is being paid for by Worker's Comp insurance, and I am apparently not disabled.  The dog's owner has been a stand-up guy thus far, staying in contact with me and making sure that I am OK.  I believe he is genuinely concerned and not just covering his butt legally.

If I had suffered monetary losses, or loss of income or earning potential, or been permanently disfigured, I might feel differently.  But I have practically no pain and only minor hassles to deal with - such as an antibitoic that is giving me a gnarly case of the trots  :nerv:

I know the dog owner is mostly worried about you coming back at him for claims against his dog.
It sucks that happened and it especially sucks that it was a rott and then everyone has to think.. what if... with their reputation...
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

te51levin [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 21, 2007, 06:21:50 PM »
I know the dog owner is mostly worried about you coming back at him for claims against his dog.
It sucks that happened and it especially sucks that it was a rott and then everyone has to think.. what if... with their reputation...

I'm sure he's thinking about that, but he also seems to be concerned with me personally.  I think I am cynical enough to know when someone is sincere and when they're not, and this guy seems sincere.  He may also be worried about losing his dog, though I do not know whether that's a possibility or not.  The animal control officer didn't mention it to me or him.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Oct 21, 2007, 06:33:23 PM »
Damn! A 120 lb Rot is a big dog! Glad to see you didnt lose an eye.

I don't know if you - aaron - ever saw ed's ex girlfriend's rott, but that thing was over 150 pounds.  He is very well mannered though, I could push him over (if I were strong enough) and he'd do nothing about it. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 7,509
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Oct 22, 2007, 10:41:06 AM »
Damn that sucks!!!.Glad to hear you're alright and that is VERY cool of the dog owner to follow up and make sure you're okay,that tells alot about him,even though some people "KNOW" that the only reason he's doing that is cause he's worried about "claims against his dog"  :shake: ...He sounds like a stand up guy and you do too,alot of people these days would be trying to figure out ways to sue the crap out of him.
WWW.GLOBALOFFROADSUPPLY.COM

Support Your Local Brawlers
 www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Oct 22, 2007, 07:23:06 PM »
Damn that sucks!!!.Glad to hear you're alright and that is VERY cool of the dog owner to follow up and make sure you're okay,that tells alot about him,even though some people "KNOW" that the only reason he's doing that is cause he's worried about "claims against his dog"  :shake: ...He sounds like a stand up guy and you do too,alot of people these days would be trying to figure out ways to sue the crap out of him.

:werd: it is great to see that he genuinely was upset about what his dog did, and it is really cool that you're not being a richard about what happened.  Like IJ said, plenty of people would be looking for an opportunity to sue him, and you're not.

Good on ya! :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Oct 22, 2007, 07:36:44 PM »
:werd: it is great to see that he genuinely was upset about what his dog did, and it is really cool that you're not being a richard about what happened.  Like IJ said, plenty of people would be looking for an opportunity to sue him, and you're not.

Good on ya! :thumbs:
I told the story to the guys at work today, and got a couple comments about lawsuits.  IMHO, it is to your good credit that you are not thinking along those lines, given the circumstances.   :thumbs:

te51levin [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Oct 22, 2007, 10:55:28 PM »
Thanks for the support.  When I popped into work today to get some papers, one of the salesmen asked me if I had seen an attorney yet.  I told him I hadn't, and didn't plan to.  He looked at me as if I had just fallen from space.  I explained to him that there was no significant permenant damage, no real pain to speak of, and that all my expenses had been covered.  He kinda hemmed and hawed and did the "yeah, but" routine.  The best way to explain it was that there was no legitimate reason for me to try to ruin that guy's life.

Don't get me wrong, the thought did cross my mind, but as an effort to protect myself (in case things didn't heal up properly, etc) rather than to make a profit.  Seeing as the worst effect of this so far has been a case of the squirts caused by the antibiotics, I think I'll wait until I heal up.  I had better have something to complain about before I try to take someone else's money.  I'm not suing anyone for mild diarrhea.  Call me old-fashioned, but that's just not my style.

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Oct 23, 2007, 01:13:25 PM »
Exactly right, IMO.  No reason to get the guy's dog killed or have his life all messed up over an obvious accident.

You know, a hundred years ago ...  shoot, even 20 or so ago, most people would have chalked this up to normal B.S. that happens.   Now, it's sue them into their grave if they so much as breathe on you wrong.

Sometimes I think Shakespeare was onto something...

P.S. use a mixture of vitamin E oil and antiseptic (Neosporin works well) in equal parts while it heals to get rid of any major scars.

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Oct 24, 2007, 06:59:17 PM »
Yeah its good to know there are still good people out there that wont jump on any opportunity to sue somebody. Its just one of many aspects of our society that piss me off. When I was in high school these two kids I knew were practicaly best friends (we will call them Ted and Joe). Well Ted accidently rear ended Joe while they were messing around in the school parking lot after school and Joe turned around and sued him for 3/4s of a million dollars. Joe somehow won, causing Teds family to basicaly become bankrupt.  :reg:  :shake:

Its disgusting that its "normal" to sue somebody these days.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Oct 25, 2007, 03:01:28 PM »
Wow.  If it was any of us, we'd probably get the rubber hammer out of the back/toolbox and beat the bumper back into shape.  Then go out and get a beer and laugh it off.

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Oct 25, 2007, 04:09:45 PM »
Wow.  If it was any of us, we'd probably get the rubber hammer out of the back/toolbox and beat the bumper back into shape.  Then go out and get a beer and laugh it off.
Ummmm.....   What???    :headscratch:

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #24 on: Oct 25, 2007, 05:28:04 PM »
dam dude
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Oct 25, 2007, 05:45:56 PM »
Ummmm.....   What???    :headscratch:

I think he's talking about this story

Yeah its good to know there are still good people out there that wont jump on any opportunity to sue somebody. Its just one of many aspects of our society that piss me off. When I was in high school these two kids I knew were practicaly best friends (we will call them Ted and Joe). Well Ted accidently rear ended Joe while they were messing around in the school parking lot after school and Joe turned around and sued him for 3/4s of a million dollars. Joe somehow won, causing Teds family to basicaly become bankrupt.  :reg:  :shake:

Its disgusting that its "normal" to sue somebody these days.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Oct 25, 2007, 06:22:05 PM »
Well sure, my mistake -- I read that story last night, then totally forgot about it tonight...  how embarrassing!   :disturbed:
Thanks for pointing out what should have been obvious to me.    :gap:

Note to self:  Pay attention from now on!!

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Oct 25, 2007, 08:54:35 PM »
I've learnt to never trust a dog...

A dog around his owner is completely different then a dog by himself with you the stranger that he's never met before.

I'm in no way bad mouthing dog's in any way shape or form because I love dogs... but in my line of work I have to confront dogs every day and i've been bit a time or two by very large dogs along with little ankle biters.

They can be unpredictable at times, just gotta watch what your doing and stay smart.

R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

unclejpl4x4

• Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #28 on: Oct 26, 2007, 09:50:40 AM »
:imwithstupid:

build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Oct 26, 2007, 01:07:49 PM »
It's horrible to have this happen to you!  I would have done the same and not sued!  It's not worth it!  Just make him pay for the bills and be done with it! There is no place for animals to be in your vehicles in town.  When I worked at the tire shop, that was the one thing that would piss me off more than anything!  Nothing more than a car that just reeks of dog!   :reg: Leave your dogs at home!  Unless, your taking them someplace special. 

It all falls under workman's comp anyway, so if you have any problems then that should kick in!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen