Author Topic: Redline MT 90 - What has been your experience?  (Read 3502 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Redline MT 90 - What has been your experience?
« on: Oct 05, 2007, 10:07:01 PM »
I recently had my transmission rebuilt (89 4Runner) and soon after put in some Redline MT 90.  Maybe I was expecting too much, but I wasn't that impressed.  I developed a leak after changing the engine and transmission to synthetics and after changing the engine to Valvoline Maxlife Blend 10w-40 and seeing no difference in the drips I opted to change the transmission to Valvoline 80w-90 blend today.  I can't tell any difference between the Redline and the valvoline, both seem to work equally.  The Redline is essentially a single viscosity oil theoretically eliminating the "thick" oil in cold temperatures, but in the mid 50's I see no difference.  I still have the Redline stored in a container in case I realize that I'm a fool.

:dunno:
« Last Edit: Nov 28, 2007, 11:39:30 AM by blackdiamond »
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

UKMyers

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 188
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
Re: Redline MT 90 - What has been your experience?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 05, 2007, 10:26:34 PM »
Worked awesome in my R-150. Got rid of all the notchiness when it was cold.

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 06, 2007, 03:32:16 AM »
When I had my NV3500 for my Chevy rebuilt, The tranny shop recommened Redline. I did notice a difference when shifting, seemed to go into gear easier but then again it was just rebuilt.
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 06, 2007, 07:45:32 AM »
Worked awesome in my R-150. Got rid of all the notchiness when it was cold.

Have you ever run any synthetic blend gear oil for comparison?

I know the Redline is a great product, I'm just not convinced, at this point, it was worth $10+ per quart when the blend was about $5.  My reason for taking it out wasn't because I was unhappy with it, I just want to eliminate the leak and I suspect the transmission is where it originates.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

UKMyers

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 188
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 06, 2007, 09:40:32 PM »
No went straight from conventional to that. It only takes a couple quarts. Just do it and if you don't like it move on.. $10 a quart is too much for Redline BTW. Lots of people run Amsoil and Royal Purple too.

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 07, 2007, 08:33:39 AM »
I've never had a problem using normal oil, actually.  The real problem is that people leave the oil in there for silly periods like 50K miles or more(if they change it at all that is).  There's a bit difference between can last that long versus cheap and easy to change every year or two.  Kind of like motor oil or antifreeze.  You could get most oil to last 5-10K between changes, but it's so cheap that 3K or so is good preventative maintainence.

My rule of thumb is to use what the engine had in it originally, mostly because ancient gaskets and so on might not play well with synthetics.  You never know until you change, but not changing is cheaper and you know it will still work.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 07, 2007, 10:01:54 AM »
No went straight from conventional to that. It only takes a couple quarts. Just do it and if you don't like it move on.. $10 a quart is too much for Redline BTW. Lots of people run Amsoil and Royal Purple too.

There is only one place here that carried Redline products, I don't think they do anymore, and I couldn't find any better price online with shiping.  Amsoil and Royal Purple are great synthetic products, but the single viscosity property of the Redline makes it a different product.  Redline gear oil would be closer to the other two.

I'm starting to run the blend gear oils because the synthetic portion is Group IV (PAO) which allows them to use less viscosity modifiers.  The result is better resistance to viscosity break down.  As far as I know there isn't any Group III gear oils on the market.  The price difference is minimal.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2007, 11:46:21 AM »
Update - The leak turned out to be the head gasket near the back of the head causing oil to run down both sides of the bell housing.  It started to really show on the dipstick before I got it identified and fixed.  Since I removed the Redline MT90 I have noticed a minimal difference with the exception of one thing.  With the Redline MT90 in the transmission I was able to shift gears in low-low (2.28 x 4.70) without the clutch with ease.  With the blend, it will still shift, but it certainly isn't as smooth.  The Redline obvioulsy has an effect on the syncros and I'm planning to put the Redline back in since I didn't get rid of it.

88_Pathy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 65
  • Male Posts: 1,251
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Raised suspension
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2007, 08:29:33 PM »
So hold on... Is the Redline a full synthetic or a blend?

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2007, 07:13:42 AM »
So hold on... Is the Redline a full synthetic or a blend?

Redline MT90 is a full synthetic.  It's "special" feature is the fact that it is essentially a single viscosity so it works that same at all temperatures where dino and blend are "thick" at cold temperatures.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Interesting.  I can tell you the one thing that keeps myself and many others running redline synthetic engine oil (though this is supposed to be a trait of any synthetic) in our high performance, high rpm street bikes.  A synthetic 20/50 will flow to the top end quicker when cold than a lighter weight dino oil.  My oil never looks dirty when I change it in the bike either, used to run it in the truck after I pulled it out of the bike :_oops:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!