Author Topic: noob gonna buy first rig....sas runner.....help!!!  (Read 4636 times)

bajabooster

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
noob gonna buy first rig....sas runner.....help!!!
« on: Sep 17, 2007, 06:22:41 PM »
so i found  what looks to be a good crawler and dd witch is good becouse i will need it for both..im just getting into crawling and dont know how to look for a well built rig any input will be grately appreciated..here the specs
sas, with custom made front leafe hanger or at least i have not seen it in the after market world,looks to have allpro cross over stering 4.29 gerring unknown rear locker, 5 speed v6 with 169k miles..35inch bfg's looks to have rer studs missing in the rear axel becouse theres only 3 lug nuts, salvage title due to theft .he want $4700
like i said any input will help thanks guys .. :thumbs:
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff43/boostershot/newrunner8.jpg
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff43/boostershot/newrunner4.jpg
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff43/boostershot/newrunner3.jpg
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff43/boostershot/new4runner6.jpg
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff43/boostershot/new4runner5.jpg i will be getting more pics soon

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
I am kind of thinking it doesnt just have a salvage title due to a theft. It looks to me due to the green front end, that it might have been in afront end collision since theyre different colors... just a thought
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

bajabooster [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
yea that went through my head too but that doasent really matter to me as long as it get me to a to b and rock a to rock b no what i mean...

bajabooster [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
do you guys think it would flex out pretty good??

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
yea that went through my head too but that doasent really matter to me as long as it get me to a to b and rock a to rock b no what i mean...
  It'll matter if it turns out the frame is bent, alignment jacked up, and other things.  A front end collision doesn't just damage the front end, it can displace a lot of things, and weaken a lot of things, that don't show themselves now, but over time.  (weakened input shafts, motor mounts, etc.) 

Ask him if the head gasket recall has been done on that rig.  If it hasn't, you may be looking at doing one soon. 

Personally, I'd recommend looking for a bone stock truck, and doing the work yourself.  That way you know the quality of work, and you can build it exactly how you want.  Not to mention, your wheeling skills will greatly benefit from starting in  stock truck.  You'll learn how to pick your lines better, and learn the technical side of wheeling :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

bajabooster [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
i would love to to do that i just dont know how. dont have a welder and starting my own project would cost well over $4700

bajabooster [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
i think its a good start...

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
For the money I think you could find a much better rig then that..

looks like its been through a bit more than has been told, those rigs are also heavy... if that rig doesn't have dual cases and/or 30 spline axle shafts... your probably going to break stuff on the trail, especially since your on a learning curve with a new rig and all....

Dunno what kind of spring combo's on there... but it looks like it might flex decent.

R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

bajabooster [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
cool... thanks i know i could get  a meaner rig for the price but not a  a double d also ya no

bajabooster [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
ill paint it for sure

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
i would love to to do that i just dont know how. dont have a welder and starting my own project would cost well over $4700

those are the skills you learn along the way.  what happens when you break something on the trail?  You'll prolly need to learn how to weld real quick.  The best way to learn is to start at the beginning, with a service manual and marlincrawler.com :thumbs:  You'd be surprised at how much you could do with less than 4700  :yesnod:

But if you are intent at buying a built rig, I'd definitely pass this one up.  Those 4runners are top heavy, and I agree with Shamb, it looks like its been through more that has been told.  If you're patient, and look around, you'll find a better wheeler, and a reliable DD, for the same or lower price. 

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

toyrolet

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 62
  • Male Posts: 130
  • Member since Apr '05
  • guns dont kill people!!! people do
    • View Profile
Ya i would probably look into getting a stock rig first too. I did and then when the motor let go i upgraded as you can see here in the pic I am attaching. Good luck.
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd280/toyrolet/IMGP0142.jpg
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd280/toyrolet/IMGP0143.jpg
this last one is just having 31's on it
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd280/toyrolet/toyandz_edited.jpg
Redneck defined: Devine Lack of Sofistication
Life is sexually transmitted
The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
those are the skills you learn along the way.  what happens when you break something on the trail?  You'll prolly need to learn how to weld real quick.  The best way to learn is to start at the beginning, with a service manual and marlincrawler.com :thumbs:  You'd be surprised at how much you could do with less than 4700  :yesnod:

But if you are intent at buying a built rig, I'd definitely pass this one up.  Those 4runners are top heavy, and I agree with Shamb, it looks like its been through more that has been told.  If you're patient, and look around, you'll find a better wheeler, and a reliable DD, for the same or lower price. 

X2. I was actually looking at this rig the other day (i think it was on CL) and I thought to myself it looked a little haggered and the front end looks highly suspiscious of a front end colision. Not saying that the owner may or may not have done good work it just looks like it has lacked some TLC and for the price you could find a mighty nice ride that has been built way better than that thing. I would say dont jump the gun, 99% of the time that screws people over. If you look around (especially on MC and pirate4x4) you can easily find a nice truck.

Just for an idea of what patient shopping can net you, check this thing out. price tag is $200 lower than this beast and it is worth a LOT more than the guy is asking. Dont get impulsive, look around.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=609815
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
sorry to break it to you, but that runner looks like Junk... and i dont believe that guy is telling you all of what is wrong with it. i wouldnt spend that money and a 2nd gen 4Runner. if you want a good DD that doubles as a great crawler.... stick with the 2nd Gen trucks and the 1st Gen 4Runners..... WAY BETTER! spend your money wisely.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

bajabooster [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
oh it never ends i look everyday...every single day...and i finnaly find a sased 2nd gen my favorite for a good price if some one has a sas 2nd gen for sale ill buy it NOW i just really want to hit the trails its still a project that i can work on ...

bajabooster [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
its not haggerd its one of the straightest bodies ive seen for a sasd runner the front end just need to be alined a lil better and painted and it would be cherry

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Dont let your desire to get wheeling get the best of you. In that price range there are a lot of good deals to be had. this isnt one of them.  :twocents:
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

bajabooster [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
its a clean rig i need it...i can give it the tlc...doas it atleast look like it was bult well??

Tallchevy

• Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
im just getting into crawling and dont know how to look for a well built rig any input will be grately appreciated..here the specs
like i said any input will help thanks guys .. :thumbs:
:headscratch: Please don't think I'm an  :moon: but your not reading what everyone is posting. A slavaged title vehicle isn't worth blue book value  :shakehead: it's worth less  :yesnod: You should care if it does have a salvaged title in case you have to sell it for any reason. Like fortysixandtwo said, "Don't let your desire to wheeling get the best of you. There are better deals out there so you should wait. The right rig will come, just take your time & find it. In your thread title I read 2 words, "noob & "help". Take the advise of the wiser & the experienced here on the board, you won't regret it. I say pass this one & look for another  :twocents:

its a clean rig i need it ...i can give it the tlc...doas it atleast look like it was bult well??
:shakehead: Anyone can polish a  :pokinit:
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
that 4Runner isnt worth anyones time.
First thing.... if the title isnt clean and unsalvaged....dont even look at it.
any vehicle that isnt stock and has modifications... HAS MORE THEN LIKELY been abused.
I am not bashing on anyone who has modified toyotas on here.... but thats thats pretty much the rule of thumb.
and ALWAYS try and buy from a second or first owner who is an older guy or girl..... most likely didnt trash it.

Dont let your desire to get wheeling get the best of you. In that price range there are a lot of good deals to be had. this isnt one of them.  :twocents:

X2 100% That vehicle isnt worth 4600 bucks. AT ALL!
I could find a more capable power wheels Jeep worth more money for less.

its a clean rig i need it...i can give it the tlc...doas it atleast look like it was bult well??

It doesnt look well built at all. :twocents:
you'll do what you want.
but here on MCF, we try and help our fellow members out and try and not let them make a huge mistake.

READ THE ADVISE GIVEN!!!
its not just mumbo jumbo
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

6.2L V8

bajabooster [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
alright everybody i came to my conclusion :think:.......................i lived with my grandma and grandpa all my life my grandpa passed away last year and left my grandma with his 2003 2wd toyota tundra with 3.4 v6....she has offerd to let me have it..so the plan is to drop the 5gs i have saved up into the truck to make it sas'd and 5 speed tranny i think it a great idea becouse it would be hard for me and grandma to sell the truck to some stranger rather then keep in the family..oh and as for as a truck thats been abbused i dont think the tundras ever seen ubove 3k RPM.and he bought it brand new from the dealership so he was the first owner..never pulled nothing and its only got 108k miles on it mostly highway becouse we went to canada alot over the summers to fish....and i live in NEW MEXICO!..IT A LONG DRIVE..so if anybody has done this to a tundra let me know where i could get some build up ideas....thanks guys you all have helped alot.. :thumbs:

Tallchevy

• Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
A free truck to convert  :headscratch: sounds good to me  :thumbs: Good luck. Here's where you need to go for the info

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?board=38.0
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

bajabooster [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
cool thanks man

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
:thumbs: congrats!!  Thats good deal right now,  you treat that tundra right, and you'll get many, many more miles out of it :thumbs:

-Ronald Reagan

bajabooster [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
doas malin sell a transfercase that mounts to the 3.4 v6 auto tranny?

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
you got lucky man.
dont abuse that thing and do the right mods and it will be a sick ride.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
and im not going to cap on you too much....

doas malin sell a transfercase that mounts to the 3.4 v6 auto tranny?

but you have to spell correctly... or someone may get confused on here.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

bajabooster [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
yea my bad ..im a horrible speller ..good new i already got a front axel to get the sas tundra going...

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
i hope you got a chevy 6 lug axle.... those tundras are much wider then the early pickups.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

bajabooster [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
yea thats what i got becouse the tundras are way wide so that need a full width axel.